banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 10-04-2017, 11:59 PM   #1
jj

Default We give thanks for this Canadian, on Thanksgiving

with a concert, as Canada150 closes out ... Malcolm Gould joins on percussion

https://www.theifp.ca/community-stor...coming-to-jet/
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:24 AM   #2
jj

Default Re: We give thanks for this Canadian, on Thanksgiving

the most enthusiastic Lightfoot crowd I've heard at any Gord related event, wow. And Ron Jones (the original tribute artist from the 70s) in front centre was perfect. I hope you got home ok, Ron. Having Shea students on stage, Stockfish family introduce, and Lightfoot family telling stories and also on stage, was tops. Opening with the spotlight and Minstrel was treat for even the players. Happy Thanksgiving, all ...weather outstanding Saturday night and all day Sunday
Old 10-09-2017, 03:09 PM   #3
lighthead2toe

This was one concert that I'd been looking so very forward to attending and it sure did not disappoint.
The event was being held in Georgetown, a quaint little village just north of Toronto.
It was my first time visiting there so I allowed time to check out the surroundings and do some historical research to help make the journey as complete as possible.

The excitement level was high and the autumn wind was singing.

The concert was held in the John Elliott Theatre named after John Alwyn Elliott, a community minded politician and businessman. Together with a library it was built as part of an attachment to an old Presbyterian church located close to restaurants etc.

Perched in the front row with a bird's eye view of the band I was totally in my element.

This is a full sounding five piece band that has captured the original Lightfoot Concert sound and it comes as no surprise considering, apart from the fact that bass player Steven Eyers is Gord's nephew; Eric Kidd, the lead guitar player and Lightfoot vocal sounding John Stinson who doubles on six and twelve string guitar were both students of Red Shea, Gordon Lightfoot's original lead guitar player.
Add to that we have the all talented keyboard player, Jimmy Jones and selective percussionist, Malcolm Gould.
This group of fine artists delivered the goods in style and it's clear they did their homework well. Keep it going there guys.
You need to be there!

This has turned out to be Thanksgiving like non other.
It has to be at the very top of the list as fas as familial events go, starting out with "The Way We Feel" event at the Glenn Gould Theatre in downtown Toronto with Gord and his family, and the following day making the trek to Georgetown to catch the Classic Lightfoot Tribute concert, then returning to Toronto for Thanksgiving dinner with the immediate family.
It started out connecting with Char and daughter, Lisa in the Epic Lounge at the Royal York Hotel for a pre concert martini with the lovely ladies and then a short walk on a beautiful warm autumn evening to the theatre.

As we see here in the video this was huge event and a big thank you to Char and Lisa for ensuring that it is available for all to see.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:00 PM   #4
jj

hey, that all sounds cool, Ron - it's a lovely, old, downtown strip - and glad TWWF had a new home ... something for every genre ... speaking of downtown, I will pass on the gathering for the book launch in Yorkville ... but some of the band will trek down, GL too

lastly, a bootleg clip from the Canada150 celebration ... still buzzing'

https://youtu.be/mJadsCneacY