banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 07-23-2000, 08:38 PM   #1
THE GAME

This song,which appears on the Sundown LP is by far my favorite.This may sound strange but
I only play it during the fall months.I would like to know if this song is about someplace in Canada.Being from Pittsburgh,Pa. originally it was easy for me to go into Canada. Now that I live in Texas all I have left of "The Great White" are some very fond memoriws.
THE GAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2000, 11:41 PM   #2
charlene

The seven Islands are in Georgian Bay. They are off Port McNicholl where Lake Huron turns into the Bay. It's a beautiful piece of Northern Ontario at all times of the year.
The waters can be dangerous though. There are 3 smaller islands and 4 larger ones farther out.
check out www.mapquest.com and they should have a map of the area.
Char
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2000, 11:49 PM   #3
Tom

The Game:
I have always liked 7 island suite too. How do you interpret the song?
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2000, 11:12 PM   #4
Tom

Since around late 1988 I have felt the undercurrent of this song to be very prophetic.

------------------
"...If YoU fEeL iT yOu BeTtEr BeLiEvE iT, yOu'Re GoNnA sEe It, YoU nEeD tO kNoW/iT iS rIsInG lIkE a FeAtHeR, dIpPiNg & DaNcInG fRoM bElOw/ThErE's A nEw WaVe ThAt Is BrEaKiNg In ThE wAkE oF a PaSsInG sHiP/eVeRy NaTiOn'S gOnNa Be ShAkEn, PuT iT tOgEtHeR, dOn'T lEt It SlIp..."
Old 07-28-2000, 11:27 PM   #5
njdbunny

Loved it from the first time I heard it. I picture myself on a large sailboat racing
threw the water bye
Old 07-29-2000, 05:29 PM   #6
2Much2Lose

What's an NJDBunny? Another Devils fan? Count me in.

------------------
"And the laughter came too easy for life to pass me by." - SDYS
2Much2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2000, 09:34 PM   #7
Tom

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tom:
[B]Since around late 1988 I have felt the undercurrent of this song to be very prophetic.

On the surface, 7 ISLAND SUITE is about 7 beautiful islands somewhere up in the Great White North, Canada. But on a deeper level, I believe it has alot of symbolism. I would like to try and explain my interpretation of this song(pure conjecture):

7 has always been known as "God's Perfect Number". For example, God rested "from all the work of creating" on the 7th Day. Gen 2:3, later in Genesis 7:2 God commands Noah to take 7 "of every kind of CLEAN animal...& also 7 of every kind of bird...". Joshua(6:4)was told to march around the city of Jericho 7 times on the 7th day. Jesus said to forgive others 70 x 7 times! Matt 18:22 Also Revelation speaks of 7 Churches, 7 seals, 7 trumpets, 7 personages, 7 vials, 7 dooms, and 7 *new* things!

I truly hope this does not offend anyone, I would like to continue if I may tommorrow.

------------------
"...If YoU fEeL iT yOu BeTtEr BeLiEvE iT, yOu'Re GoNnA sEe It, YoU nEeD tO kNoW/iT iS rIsInG lIkE a FeAtHeR, dIpPiNg & DaNcInG fRoM bElOw/ThErE's A nEw WaVe ThAt Is BrEaKiNg In ThE wAkE oF a PaSsInG sHiP/eVeRy NaTiOn'S gOnNa Be ShAkEn, PuT iT tOgEtHeR, dOn'T lEt It SlIp..."
Old 09-12-2000, 11:29 PM   #8
charlene

I think it speaks of finding peace in life in the quiet, beautiful natural settings and not in the cities, rushing around, making money and not being happy. The area Gord sings of was a haven to him as a young child and he still finds his memories wandering there. His home in Toronto was in a secluded, wooded, area that had some of the beauty of the north country near Orillia and where the seven islands are, expecially in the fall. It is a spectacular sight to look from the expressway and see the Don Valley ablaze in autumn colour. When the leaves are in their glory I can imagine them being the same up north.
Char
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2000, 07:27 AM   #9
knottypine

Char, I tend to agree with you. I always found that song (one of his greatest, I think) to sort of be a kick in the butt when our "values" start getting out of line. He talks about what really matters and what is really important in life...at least in my opinion...and i remember a time in my life (one of many) where I had to make some major decisions, and these words really helped me..but that's happened so many times with his music...it's like he's inside my head...
Barbara
knottypine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2000, 11:06 PM   #10
Tom

Char, that really sounds beautiful. I would love to see the "Don Valley" autumn colors someday.

To continue with my interpretation of "Seven Island Suite" I feel the song contains good and bad news. I love the "feel" of this song, the way the chords and tempo change. I like to relax & listen to it, it is quite a powerful song. Let me begin with the BAD NEWS first.

The song repeatedly uses the image of a sunset, an ending if you will("To the sunset..."). I feel the following lyrics describe a judgement of our Materialistic culture:

Living high in the city
Guess you think its a pretty good way
You get to learn but when you get burned
You got nothing to say
[this reminds me of Dylan's "Like a Rolling Stone" lrics "...now you don't talk so loud, now you don't talk so proud..."]

You seem to think because
You got chicken-to-go you're in luck
[our instant gratification society/mentality]

Fortune will not find you
In your mansion or your truck
[true riches are not found in our material possessions-our homes, our SUV's, etc.]

Brothers will desert you
When your down & shit-out-of-luck
Look around at the morning
Guess your doing the best you can
Surely you know that when you go
Nobody gives you a hand
[everybody's looking out for #1, reminds me of the Dylan song "Slow Train Coming" the lyrics "...they talk about a life of brotherly love/show me someone who knows how to live it..."]

THINK of the air your breathing in
THINK of the time you waste
THINK of the right and wrong
& consider the frown on your face

[Gordon really gets serious here, he mandates us to "think" about our lives, our values & consider the possibility that maybe our unhappiness is related to our selfishness]

I will try & finish with the good news tommorrow.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Tom (edited September 13, 2000).]
Old 09-14-2000, 02:02 AM   #11
Frank v

Tom (As neat as ever).
What a thought provoking post,about one of the most exciting epic songs ever recorded.
(Imho). cant wait for part three!

Frank.

Frank v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2000, 09:59 PM   #12
Tom

Thank-you Frank for your kind post. I don't want to lose my credibility, but I feel we will all discover the truth in time.
Old 09-19-2000, 01:17 AM   #13
Bob

I've always loved this song, and been almost awed by it. It is beyond lyrics, it is truly poetry.

I agree that it is a call to examine our lives, our values, what we are leaving our children, to see where we really are. The prophetic tone, the "new wave that is breaking in the wake of a passing ship" is the wake up call, and yes, I always think of Dylan, and "the times they are a changing."

My absolutely favorite image, or turn of phrase, though, is "And we saw how leaves had fallen on the beds where trees are born."
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2001, 04:20 PM   #14
Tom

As we enter the next millennium, I wanted to finish this topic...the good news! I first heard this Gordon Lightfoot song right after I received the book "Is Elvis Alive?" by Gail Brewer-Giorgio in late 1988. 7 Island Suite seemed to capture my feelings at the time. The positive lyrics at the end seemed very prophetic, especially if Elvis did fake his death...there's a new wave that is breaking...every nation's gonna be shaken, etc. Can you imagine the social, political bombshell it would create? I've been waiting for 12 years for his re-appearance...maybe 2001 will be the year! (8+16+1977=2001)

Check-out the *new* websight...sometimes "dreams can come true":
www.1800elvisnow.com

------------------
Old 01-01-2001, 05:24 PM   #15
gina

hi yup 2much 2lose I am a devils fans been away for awhile. I like the song also from the first time I heard it.I always picture myself on a boat as well
njdbunny
devils2001
Old 01-01-2001, 05:26 PM   #16
Patrinky

I can't believe I missed this thread! 7 Island Suite is my most favorite Lightfoot song and I am always so disappointed when he doesn't sing it in concert. Has anyone ever heard him sing it in concert? I have a hearing loss and I could only make out a few of the words over the years and just fell in love with the music and the feelings it called up. When I finally got a chance to read the words (thanks to this wonderful site)I realized that the meaning of the song did come through to me through the music. What a gifted singer/songwriter!

------------------
Patrinky
"Just think about the fool who by his virtue can be found in a most unusual situation playing jester to the clown."
Patrinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 06:31 PM   #17
musky_man

One of my top 5 GL songs -- I am lucky to have been up in that area and know what he speaks about first hand.

Many of us are so lucky to live in Canada where we have vast tracts of unspoiled land, water and where corporate tendrils have yet to sully it.

To some degree GL taught me to be a minimalist. Life is good if I have a decent meal, crimson sunset, a GL tune in the background and a few like-minded friends to share it with - could you ask for anything more?

I'd bet 99% of the good people here feel pretty much the same.

Cheers!
Old 11-13-2005, 12:04 AM   #18
Sheryl

Send a message via AIM to Sheryl

Totaly agree with you, Musky Man. Seven Island Suite is definitely up in my top 5 list.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 07:31 PM   #19
Borderstone

How in the world could anyone "not" like this song? If one has never been to this place,it can sure make you magine it really well.

I know I do..and I never get tired of playing said song either,I'd actually place it in a top ten list of best GL songs of all time.
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 02:03 AM   #20
adkfreeridex

this is my fav song by a long shot. first time i had ever really listned to it, i was on my way to pico mt. in vermont....when i hear it if reminds me of skiing. but what is does for me is it lets me release from commercial aspects and lets me focus myself and not on trivial things around me
Old 11-25-2005, 03:28 PM   #21
Dan O'Malley

I've always loved this song, but much more so after reading these posts!
Old 11-25-2005, 05:09 PM   #22
New 12 String Mike

Anyone ever tried playing it?

Good rhythm training.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:59 PM   #23
Robby Lake

Mike,
I've tried playing it butn found it quite difficult.Capo 2nd fret,he's playing around the
A and G chords. The Bridge,A and Eminor.

C D G
Fortune will out find you in your mansion
A
or your truck
C D G
brothers will desert you when you're down and
A
shit out a' luck
Em A Em
Dee Dee DeeDee
Robby Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 03:13 PM   #24
New 12 String Mike

The chords aren't the problem, they are very simple. The strumming them while singing the song is a very good work out.

Practice practice practice.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:04 PM   #25
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

[quote]Originally posted by lighthead2toe:
Quote:
the Sherbourne (sic) bridge and gaze for a while at the valley below with it's majestic array of colors in full bloom.Ron Jones.
Ahem Ahem is there nobody over here able to spell the name of my town of birth correctly??
On this side of the border the worthy early settlers of Massachusetts started the lamentable habit for much misspelling amongst citizens of the United States founding a namesake town near Boston but then spoilt the tribute by omitting the final "e".

others then omitted the second "i" in aluminium and the "u" from countless words except our,your,hour etc.
To be fair because my native county of Dorset has a river Bourne that flows into the English Channel at Bournemouth a great number of English people insert the extraneous "u" but that should not excuse those in Toronto.
I have a video camera shot of Sherbourne Street in Toronto but was not previously aware that there is a bridge so misnamed there,so I was curious to see if there is a picture of it on the internet A quick google image search for "Sherborne Bridge" only brings up a book

which is not about a bridge at all but as the caption says
"THE BRIDGE tells the story of the International College, Sherborne School, which was established in 1977 to be "the bridge between non-British education and the best of British Independent Education". The contributors, who include most of those who helped create and develop the College to its present pre-eminent position, give an insight into the secrets of the success of this unique educational institution.
John Fowles
this college is at the foot of a hill very close to where I lived from 1982 to 2000.Half way up this hill a new house was built and named "Swazi House" where the future King of Swaziland lived whilst a young man at the college

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mswati_III some intriguing detail to flesh out my posting a bit:-
"Mswati III (born Makhosetive on April 19, 1968) is the king of Swaziland. He succeeded his late father, Sobhuza II, in 1986."
and at the time he was in Sherborne I now find he was the King already as there was a "regency"
"When his father died of pneumonia in 1982, the royal council chose the 14-year-old prince Makhosetwe to be the next king. For the next four years two female relatives served as regent, Queen Dzeliwe Shongwe (1982–1983) and Queen Ntombi Thwala (1983–1986) while he continued with his education, attending the English Sherborne School."
Today he is Africa's last absolute monarch. He rules by decree
Mswati's rule has been criticised for ignoring the growing problems of his subjects while lavishly spending his nation's wealth on his own personal comfort, including buying a fleet of royal limousines, a luxury jet that cost a quarter of the nation's annual budget, and building and renovating palaces to house his many wives. He has also restricted civil and media freedom of speech. He placed all unmarried women under the chastity rite of "umchwasho" between 9 September 2001 and 19 August 2005 in an attempt to curb the spread of HIV and AIDS.

"The King currently has eleven wives and three official fiancées"
Sounds like an idyllic place for o(u)r Charwoman but beware:-
"According to tradition, he can only marry his fiancées after they have fallen pregnant"
so that's all right then!!
John Fowles
When I walk the hill so high
Around the town where I was born
New York seems so far away
Though I was there just yesterday

[ November 27, 2005, 20:44: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote