banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2000, 11:50 AM   #1
Frank v

Presley 56 Beatles 64 Dylan 66 Stones 69 Simon&Garfunkel 70 GORD ANYTIME..............

Dear all,
Who is the one artist you have never seen live,but wished you had? And in what stage in their career?

Frank.
Frank v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2000, 01:41 AM   #2
Tom

THE MONKEES 1967 THE KNACK 1979 AC~DC 1989 SPICE GIRLS 1997...The Monkees would have been most exciting to me...I like 6o's Rock music best.
New Wave movement produced the power pop Knack sound of rock in '79. Detroit's own "The Romantics" would have been bomb to see too! I was glad to see the Disco era end.
I have always liked straight ahead rock n' roll best, like the the Rolling Stones. I like Hard Rock more than Punk Rock, Soft Rock, Heavy Metal, Speed Metal, Progressive Rock etc. AC~DC is my favorite Hard Rock band & I regret missing their concert in Washington D.C.'s RFK Stadium in '89. Also their current "Stiff Upper Lip" tour of 2000 I missed at the Palace(Father-in-Law died). Billy Squire would also have been cool to see during his "Don't Say No" tour in 1981. I also missed a Prince & the Revolution show during the "Purple Rain" tour in 1984. The SPICE GIRLS I really wanted to see in the Summer World Tour of '97 at the Palace...even without Ginger Spice!

------------------
"...If YoU fEeL iT yOu BeTtEr BeLiEvE iT, yOu'Re GoNnA sEe It, YoU nEeD tO kNoW/iT iS rIsInG lIkE a FeAtHeR, dIpPiNg & DaNcInG fRoM bElOw/ThErE's A nEw WaVe ThAt Is BrEaKiNg In ThE wAkE oF a PaSsInG sHiP/eVeRy NaTiOn'S gOnNa Be ShAkEn, PuT iT tOgEtHeR, dOn'T lEt It SlIp..."

[This message has been edited by Tom (edited October 22, 2000).]
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2000, 12:49 PM   #3
Mary Ann

Hi Frank,

Being that I work at a major venue in Atlanta, there hasn't been many acts who've come thru here that I haven't seen. From AC/DC to ZZTOP, from The King (ELVIS), Queen, to Prince. The Who, The Guess Who, The Stones, The Eagles, The Doobie Bros, The Allman Bros, The Pointer Sisters, The Osmonds, BTO, ELO, ARS, ELP, REM, Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson, The Jackson Five, Earth Wind & Fire, Kool & the Gang, Dianah Ross (also w/ Supremes) Andrea Bocelli, Luciano Pavarotti, Lawrence Welk, Frank Sinatra, Liza Minelli, Sammy Davis Jr, Ringo Starr, Paul McCartney, George Harrison (alas, no John Lennon)
Rod Stewart, Geroge Strait, George Jones, Ricky Scaggs, Hank Jr, Lynn Anderson, Dolly Parton, Tim & Faith and on and on. But the one person whom I would have died to see (and you're gonna laugh, Frank) is Barbra Streisand!

Mary Ann
Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2000, 03:00 PM   #4
Frank v

Mary Ann,
I'm a great fan of Barbara.
I've seen all her movies....
What can I say...you and Atlanta have seen them all! It hosted the olympics as well.
Where is this place! I'll have to get my map out...LOL.

Frank.
PS When you've got time I'd love to know more about those concerts.

Frank v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2000, 05:21 PM   #5
Scott

There is one concert that stands-out:
I believe Mark Knopfler toured with Stevie Ray a couple of years prior to SRV's untimely parting. That would've been a treat.

John Lee Hooker in his prime - solo. In a small Chicago club on a Saturday night in August.

And if Dylan ever does a tour of Massey Hall type venues with just his acoustic and about 2 hours or so of material. No opening or closing acts.
________
SL70

Last edited by Scott; 01-19-2011 at 03:26 AM.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2000, 10:22 AM   #6
midnightmisty

Mason Williams (12 string "Classical Gas")in
Berkley, 1969. Instead, I was rudely hijacked, on my birthday no less, to the Oakland Colliseum to see The Rolling Stones and Ike and Tina Turner. 31 tears later I am still NOT pleased. What a rip!

pouting still.

midnightmisty
midnightmisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2000, 09:54 PM   #7
Tom

MaryAnn,

Which Elvis Concerts in Atlanta did you get to see? Check out the following map link of Elvis' shows by State, City & Date:
http://userzweb.lightspeed.net/~mimi.../map/mapa.html

Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2000, 07:26 PM   #8
Mary Ann

MNM,
I thought I was the only one who liked Mason Williams ("Classical Gas")! That has to be one of my all-time favorite instrumentals!!! Another instrumental (with just a hint of vocals) is "Pick up the Pieces"- can't remember to save my life who does that one at the moment.

Tom,
That's a cool link to Elvis' concerts. I worked all the concerts between the years 73-76 that he performed at the Omni. All sold-out shows . . . as if they wouldn't be!!!
Old 10-29-2000, 10:49 PM   #9
classicmixdj

[

QUOTE]Originally posted by Mary Ann:
MNM,
I thought I was the only one who liked Mason Williams ("Classical Gas")! That has to be one of my all-time favorite instrumentals!!! Another instrumental (with just a hint of vocals) is "Pick up the Pieces"- can't remember to save my life who does that one at the moment.

Tom,
That's a cool link to Elvis' concerts. I worked all the concerts between the years 73-76 that he performed at the Omni. All sold-out shows . . . as if they wouldn't be!!!
[/QUOTE]

AWB or Average White Band did "Pick Up The Pieces". If you liked that one you'd have liked "Happiness is Just Around The Bend" by Brian Auger and The Oblivion Express or "Hocus Pocus" by Focus.
-David
classicmixdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2000, 01:19 PM   #10
theotterjudy

Maryann - I always loved "Sunflower" from Mason Williams. I was and still am a sucker for pretty instumental melodies that are sad and haunting like that one. It's also kind of wistful sounding, and a little optimistic by the ending. Or am I hearing too much in it? Do you know the song, and what do you think, if so?

--Judy

------------------
"the mornin' after blues, from my head down to my shoes..."
-------------------------
"Laughing eyes and smiling face..."
theotterjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2000, 01:33 PM   #11
theotterjudy

Mary Ann:

It's silly ol' me again. Sorry I seem to botch the way you spell your name more than once. I think I'd better stick to MAH. Feel free to address me as Judi or Judee a couple of times to make us even. LOL.

--Judy

------------------
Old 10-31-2000, 09:44 PM   #12
Mary Ann

Classicmixdj,

Thanks for that refresher on AWB. That nagged me for quite some time before I finally said 'just forget it'! LOL! I've heard of "Hocus Pocus" by Focus but I'm afraid the other I'm not familiar with. What a fitting topic for Halloween night!!!

Judi, Judee, Joodie,

Unfortunately its been such a long time since I've heard anything by Mason that I doubt I'd recognize anything he did outside of "Classical Gas". Can you hum me a few bars? LOL!

Mary Ann
Old 11-01-2000, 03:38 PM   #13
theotterjudy

Well, HAM....(oops, I can't even get the INITIALS correct, LOL)

It's a waltz, with strings and harmonica. Very pretty. On the same album as "Classical Gas". Also has the theme from "The Smothers Brothers" show.

--Yduj

------------------
Old 11-10-2000, 12:47 PM   #14
Bill

A concert I wish had attended...maybe the first time Lightfoot played "If You Could Read My Mind", or "Don Quixote" in concert...wherever and whenever it was for them. I've never been around when a great artist debuted what would later be famous material.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2000, 12:59 PM   #15
charlene

Ricky Nelson, Harry Chapin, Jim Croce,
The Doors
Char
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2000, 07:25 PM   #16
2Much2Lose

George Harrison's Concert for Bangladesh, which my girlfriend attended.

Elvis in NYC 1971 or '72, I think.
2Much2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2001, 04:23 PM   #17
leboeuf@csolve.net

definitely as Charlene has stated, Jim Croce and Harry Chapin are the two I regret not having an opportunity to hear live. I was lucky enough to see John Denver about 3 years before he died at "Canada'Wonderland" Kingswood theatre and that was a great show. He played about two and one half hours solo and he was magic on the guitar. I never realized listening to his albums that he was such an accomplished musician. He did some Dylan music that night too which really threw me. Gord just happened to be sitting in the audience that night too and Denver called him up on stage to finish the cover of "Early Morning Rain". This was definitely in the top ten of the concerts I have attended
Old 03-02-2001, 01:55 AM   #18
Westernstar9

Merle Haggard and Marty Robbins shared the bill at the Oakland Coliseum about a year before Marty died. Though I've seen Haggard in concert half a dozen times, I never did get to see Marty.

------------------
Westernstar9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2001, 04:43 AM   #19
Westernstar9

quote:Originally posted by midnightmisty:
Mason Williams (12 string "Classical Gas")in
Berkley, 1969. Instead, I was rudely hijacked, on my birthday no less, to the Oakland Colliseum to see The Rolling Stones and Ike and Tina Turner. 31 tears later I am still NOT pleased. What a rip!

pouting still.

midnightmisty

Mason lives in the area of Eugene or Oakridge, Oregon and he is listed in the public phone directory. Call. Maybe he'll play it over the phone!

------------------
Westernstar9 is offline   Reply With Quote