banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-04-2008, 07:16 PM   #1
charlene

Default IMPORTANT NEWS !!-Celebrating Gordon Lightfoot's 70th - POST your website wishes

I have been contacted to help facilitate the posting of birthday wishes/Lightfoot memories to a Canadian wide news/entertainment/sports website.

David Newland is the editor-in-chief at CANOE and the wonderful emcee/sometimes performer at the Lightfoot Tribute Shows at Hugh's Room in Toronto. He's a huge Lightfoot fan and a sweetheart of a guy..darned cute too!

Scan any items related to Lightfoot and your wishes.memories and send them along. There is an e-mail address below as well as the on-line site that also has the link...

Let Gordon know just how loved he really is by "The Net People" !!!

Hello, Lightfoot fans in Canada and around the world!

Canoe.ca wants YOU to help celebrate Gordon Lightfoot's 70th birthday, Monday, November 17th.

We'll be publishing never-before-seen archival photos, articles and slide shows showing highlights from Mr. Lightfoot's career.

We'll also be assembling materials and memorabilia from the public at large.

And finally, we're encouraging Canadians to send their best "Birthday Wishes" to Gordon Lightfoot to mark his very special day.

Do you have something to share, such as photos, ticket stubs, autographs, stories, movies? If so, please let us know!

Email your thoughts and wishes to lightfoot70th@canoe.ca or visit us online at www.canoe.ca/lightfoot

We'd like to hear from you by November 10, so we can assemble our special section in time for the big day on November 17th.

Many thanks,

David Newland

– – –
David Newland
Editor-in-Chief, Canoe.ca
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:21 PM   #2
Yuri

Default Re: IMPORTANT NEWS !!-Celebrating Gordon Lightfoot's 70th - POST your website wishes

Wonderful!!!
Yuri
Bugs! - http://thunderhouse4-yuri.blogspot.com/
Yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:21 PM   #3
KHester

Default Re: IMPORTANT NEWS !!-Celebrating Gordon Lightfoot's 70th - POST your website wishes

I'm in the process of writing an ode to Lightfoot, using many of his song titles. and or lyrics in it. Just a quick little snippet...

If you could read our minds
what a tale your fans could tell
all about your music
and why we choose it

And there's more
Old 11-05-2008, 12:31 AM   #4
timetraveler

I just wonder if they'd mind hearing from an American?
timetraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:22 AM   #5
Nightingale

Well, Gordon Lightfoot has fans all around the world. I think anyone could include birthday wishes without it being intrusive. It's not just a Canadian thing...it's about music and the love of a great artist.
Kind thoughts are always appreciated and the admiration we all feel for him is well deserved. It'll work No worries, TT.
into the broad ocean..."

G. Lightfoot "Tattoo"
Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:26 AM   #6
joveski

he'll even get a card from Australia!
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:48 AM   #7
charlene

Please carefully read the announcement again.

the first line from David Newland/CANOE reads:

Old 11-05-2008, 10:51 AM   #8
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by joveski View Post
he'll even get a card from Australia!
don't forget to post at CANOE too!
Old 11-06-2008, 11:44 PM   #9
timetraveler

I finally got around to posting a birthday wish on CANOE this evening. I also saw the picture that they had of Gordon & I thought it was a really good one, especially since it caught more than the smile on his face, but also the smile in his eyes. The man is SO COOL!
Old 11-07-2008, 02:07 AM   #10
louisemnnpls

Send a message via Yahoo to louisemnnpls

Happy Birthday Gord!!!!
Old 11-07-2008, 08:05 AM   #11
geodeticman.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetraveler View Post
I just wonder if they'd mind hearing from an American?
me too - geo steve lol

canwe canoe or canoe only canoe ? I'm in - if we can canoe canwe ?

I realize - of course we can lol I am only kidding , too. I'll do everything I can -I am thinking a photo of the canoe paddle he signed for me on my 40th in '98 would not only spark his memory - but the funny story he knew of at the time about it; and what better pic for canoe.ca than a canoe paddle ?

Yuri - I can well imagine why you are extra excited, too ! Your Canary Yellow CANOE !
Old 11-07-2008, 02:54 PM   #12
charlene

[QUOTE=geodeticman.5;145258]me too - geo steve lol

canwe canoe or canoe only canoe ? I'm in - if we can canoe canwe ?

I realize - of course we can lol I am only kidding , too. I'll do everything I can -I am thinking a photo of the canoe paddle he signed for me on my 40th in '98 would not only spark his memory - but the funny story he knew of at the time about it; and what better pic for canoe.ca than a canoe paddle ?

and David at CANOE will appreciate it as well, he's a canoe guy too! If he's not walking, biking or roller blading then he's in a canoe!
Old 11-07-2008, 05:51 PM   #13
Yuri

Steve,
I was poking around the backwoods and rivers of Ontario with this 17' (Canary) yellow & white Grumman canoe long before I ever heard Gord's song on the Rhino box set. I took this photo in 1984 while on the Spanish River in Northern Ontario (sorry, no Spanish moss). Printed it up with the title 'Whispers Of The North' running along one side and asked Gord to autograph it for me some years ago. Had it framed and now I'm reminded of Lightfoot & my beautiful rivers whenever I pass by.

http://missinaibi-yuri.blogspot.com/...ish-river.html

Yuri
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Autographed Print.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	2276   Click image for larger version

Name:	Canary Yellow 17' Grumman Canoe.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	377.2 KB
ID:	2277  
Old 11-07-2008, 05:56 PM   #14
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by geodeticman.5 View Post
and what better pic for canoe.ca than a canoe paddle ?
awesome stuff, steve! and great display, yuri!

folks have portaged thru my backyard...there is a small river ...it's odd

i can't wait to see the never seen before photos Dave speaks of
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:16 AM   #15
charlene

don't forget to send your wishes along by the 10th! If we cn get 90+ % of us out to the concerts around North America then we surely can get 100% of us posting at the site!

www.canoe.ca/lightfoot
Old 11-09-2008, 10:06 AM   #16
Jesse Joe

Char I sent mine to: lightfoot70th@canoe.ca yesterday. I didn't add www. to the beginning as that did not work. So do you think it went thru ?

My Birthday Card is ready and will be in the mail for: Early Morning Productions tomorrow.

It really is wonderful of you to check in for this from time to time... Im sure Gordon would (will) appreciate that.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:24 AM   #17
geodeticman.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
Steve,
I was poking around the backwoods and rivers of Ontario with this 17' (Canary) yellow & white Grumman canoe long before I ever heard Gord's song on the Rhino box set. I took this photo in 1984 while on the Spanish River in Northern Ontario (sorry, no Spanish moss). Printed it up with the title 'Whispers Of The North' running along one side and asked Gord to autograph it for me some years ago. Had it framed and now I'm reminded of Lightfoot & my beautiful rivers whenever I pass by.

Yuri
YURI, that is a stunning and nostalgic for me - days of canoeing I miss.... I will be returning to it in aprox 1 year..slowly I CANNOT AIT .I love yourphotoframed and titled and signed by the man... Tell ya what...I'll give ya $19.95 American for it, on thebarrel-head - now how can you resist that ? lol....j/k

Grummans were aluminum. as in Grumman Aircraft, yes.no ? - cold as I recall in high Mtn lakes.... but durb;e///breach in the hull...use paste-speedmetal

I 'bout got my birthday stuff ready for Gord, Char ! Thanks for the reminders !
Old 11-09-2008, 10:46 AM   #18
Yuri

Steve,
$19.95 American? Hmmmmm? that's about $400.00 Canadian now that our currency has returned to it's pre-2008 level. But you should know that Gord is priceless!

Yes, the workhorse Grumman canoes were made of aircraft aluminum. Perhaps they do transmit frigid water temperatures more quickly than synthetic resins but it never let us down in thousands of miles traveled. Unlike fiberglass, Carbon fibre, Kevlar or Royalex, aluminum does have a tendency to stick to river rocks. They also make a loud metallic clang when you drop them on your head, having released your grip on one gunwale during a portage in order to swat some pesky mosquito. Other than that, I loved it!

Now, what to send to Gord????

Yuri
Old 11-10-2008, 03:37 PM   #19
Jenney

Char, I sent along my wishes just now, and am bringing this back up to the top!
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 04:34 PM   #20
charlene

thanks guys and gals! ..
I've just sent mine off too..and i mailed his card to the office..

direct e-mail to : lightfoot70th@canoe.ca
or use the link to the site www.canoe.ca/lightfoot that also has the same e-mail address..
Old 11-10-2008, 05:31 PM   #21
mandoann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
Steve,

Yuri
Wow, Yuri; that is awesome!

- if you meet him you will be/ the victim of his minstrelsy/ he'll sing for you a song

"You could wrap me around your finger"
mandoann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:03 AM   #22
BendRick

Gordon, I don't know if you'll ever see this, but your music has affected my life. You sang all the songs I wanted to sing, ever since the the 1970's. You are a GURU, a MENTOR, a BENEFACTOR. I didn't always agree with your politics but I wish the best for your family and your health.
BendRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:05 AM   #23
Jesse Joe

Bend Rick your post should be sent to: lightfoot70th@canoe.ca
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:18 PM   #24
timetraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
Please carefully read the announcement again.

the first line from David Newland/CANOE reads:

I should've read that a little more closely. Just shows what happens when I don't slow down & pay attention.