banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 04-08-2010, 05:46 PM   #1
RM

Default A cause worth fighting for

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100408/...rg_beer_strike

COPENHAGEN – Scores of Carlsberg workers walked off their jobs in protest Thursday after the Danish brewer tightened laid-back rules on workplace drinking and removed beer coolers from work sites, a company spokesman said.

The warehouse and production workers in Denmark are rebelling against the company's new alcohol policy, which allows them to drink beer only during lunch hours in the canteen. Previously, they could help themselves to beer throughout the day, from coolers placed around the work sites.

The only restriction was "that you could not be drunk at work. It was up to each and everyone to be responsible," company spokesman Jens Bekke said.

Carlsberg had mulled a stricter drinking policy for years and finally decided to impose the new rules on April 1, prompting protests from the staff.

Bekke said around 800 workers went on strike Wednesday and around 250 walked off their jobs Thursday, resulting in interruptions to beer transports in and around Copenhagen.

Carlsberg's truck drivers joined the strike in sympathy — even thought they are exempt from the new rules, Bekke said. The truck drivers are permitted to bring three beers from the canteen because they often don't have time to have lunch there.

The trucks have alcohol ignition locks preventing the drivers from driving drunk, he added.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:15 PM   #2
charlene

Default Re: A cause worth fighting for

it's happening everywhere - restricting beer is rampant! this was last june..
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/newfoundlan...r-cut-605.html

Molson free beer allocation goes flat for N.L. retirees
Last Updated: Friday, June 5, 2009 | 6:13 PM NT Comments137Recommend46.
CBC News
A group of retirees protested outside of the Molson Brewery facility in St. John's after the company said it was cutting the amount of free beer they get as part of their pension plan.

Molson pensioners in St. John's used to receive six dozen beers per month as part of their benefits package. That has now been cut to one dozen per month according to a letter sent to employees across the country. The allocation will be dropped altogether in five years.

The letter says the changes have been made on account of competitive pressure and the current economy, which have forced the company to "monitor costs and look for innovative ways to control and reduce them."

The changes weren't going over well with pensioners in St. John's who accused the company of arbitrarily removing benefits they were promised when they retired.

"'There's been no consultation with the members, and they've taken beer from them, which is a taxable benefit" said Greg Pretty of the FFAW/CAW, which represents approximately 45 Molson retirees in St. John's.

"The people who brought this company to where it is today, with ... sales close to 70 per cent, [which is] Molson's market share, are now being discriminated against based on their age," he said.

Pretty said the pensioners wanted a meeting with the CEO of Molson Canada to ensure that not only the beer allocations would be preserved but the rest of the negotiated benefits as well.

"We deserve better. They're nickel and diming the retirees over, you know, they're using the economic downturn to take advantage of us, said retiree Bill Bavis.

Retiree Kevin Walsh, who worked for Molson for 41 years, said the beer wasn't a hand-out to employees; it was something they earned — and are still earning.

"Like, I'm in Butterpot [provincial park], and I take my rations with me and people come along and … [I say] 'How are you today? … have a beer, have a beer.' I'm still a salesman. I'm still promoting the Molson product," he said.

A Molson representative told CBC that Molson has 2,400 retirees across the country and supplying them all with free beer was costing the company over $1 million a year.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/newfoundlan...#ixzz0kY7HY1AO

The brewery/office in TOronto gives working employees a case a month I think..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:56 AM   #3
Jesse Joe

Char can you get Pump House beer in Ontario ?

Very popular down here especially the blueberry flavoured one !

http://www.pumphousebrewery.ca/
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:06 AM   #4
charlene

I'm not sure..I'm not a beer drinker but pretty sure either the Beer Store or LCBO would carry it..
blueberry beer? ick.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:12 AM   #5
Jesse Joe

OK thanks, was just wondering because I cant remember if they have it in Kitchener !

http://www.selectionlager.ca/home.html
Old 04-25-2010, 10:55 AM   #6
podunklander

I had blueberry beer several years ago in Newport and it was very good. Was topped off with a small handful of wild blueberries.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:12 PM   #7
Jesse Joe

Yes indeed Pam, {Pump House Beer} is brewed in Moncton, NB & the blueberry one is their most popular according to them. I have yet to try it.

http://www.pumphousebrewery.ca/beer.htm
Old 05-19-2010, 07:18 PM   #8
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin'
spammer

I'm glad I don't drink. Them guys oughtta try working here. No drinking or alchohol allowed in the body, period.
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin' is offline   Reply With Quote