banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Which songs are your worst - check only those that are your least favorite
Uncle Toad Said 8 36.36%
May I 7 31.82%
Endless Wire 1 4.55%
My Pony Won't Go 10 45.45%
Ring Neck Loon 8 36.36%
Boathouse 8 36.36%
On Yonge St 6 27.27%
Couchiching 11 50.00%
Flyin Blind 6 27.27%
Beautiful 3 13.64%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. This poll is closed

Old 03-03-2009, 05:51 PM   #1
JohnStinson

Default Bottom Ten Least Favorite

I don't know how this can work ...but if you vote then we can replace the preferred ones off the list (demoted) and promote others on until we settle the issue. From the other threads I put 10 up. If its used ...and after some time.. the list can be changes based on your input.
JohnStinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:15 PM   #2
jj

Default Re: Bottom Ten Least Favorite

oh, i guess it was so obvious that i forgot to add Urine Yellow Canoe to my post....and Anything for Love at least deserves to be tasered

i like 1/2 of the above tunes including the horny uncle one ...i don't think you'll be able to edit your poll with replacements...don't you think the song wars (head to head match play) is simpler? this could morph into a Misc Covers type thread
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:15 PM   #3
JohnStinson

How 'bout we take the top (really the bottom) 5 from the list...or the 6 or whatever and put them in a new poll of 10 songs. Making up the 10 by adding new ones based on input..if any arrives ...of songs that should be put in the poll.

Only 3 poll people so far. Not much of a turn out.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:04 PM   #4
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin'
spammer

I actually like most of these songs (especially 'Anything For Love'). The only song I DISlike totally is 'Beautiful'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
oh, i guess it was so obvious that i forgot to add [B] URINE YELLOW CANOE [B] to my post....and Anything for Love at least deserves to be tasered

i like 1/2 of the above tunes including the horny uncle one ...i don't think you'll be able to edit your poll with replacements...don't you think the song wars (head to head match play) is simpler? this could morph into a Misc Covers type thread

You should also have added, 'If There's A Reason', and 'All I'm After'. Naturally, there's really not that many Gord songs I can say I don't like.
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:19 PM   #5
JohnStinson

No problem in adding songs to the next round.

All I'm After
If There Is A Reason

Thats the idea. If you have a song or song that you think is the worst then we'll promote them to the list when we eliminate some from the current list.

The current list was made from those who commented earlier. The 10 songs are just a start that will morph into a representative list ...if people do the poll and add their least favorite in comments.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:52 PM   #6
seafarer62

Gord has very, very few stinkers.

A couple more which I am not fond of:

Sometimes I Don't Mind
You Just Gotta Be

One of the most impressive aspects of Gordon's music is a remarkable consistency over the years. He has an incredible list of very good songs. Many of them are better than some of his "hits."

In my humble opinion, Dylan has far more stinkers than Gordon. Brilliance does not work on an assembly line but Gord comes the closest.
seafarer62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:23 AM   #7
joveski

i agree with All I'm After... the "think i got it maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaade" bit makes me cringe
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:01 PM   #8
Borderstone

Boy...that list really picks on the "Painter Passing Through" album doesn't it?

I like 1/2 of the songs on that one :

A Painter Passing Through
Much To My Surprise
Drifters
Red Velvet
My Little Love

4 of the other 5 are "good" but Uncle Toad Said just doesn't make it with me.
Endless Wire & Flyin' Blind are awesome and I really can't believe "Beautiful" is even on this list. How about "Biscuit City" instead?

Last edited by Borderstone; 03-04-2009 at 09:04 PM.
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:30 PM   #9
fezo

I agree on Painter Passing Through but would add I Used to Be a Country Singer on the very much like list.

Beautiful belongs in the discussion for me. Doesn't hang to gether right to me. I realize that it's a controversial choice.
fezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:57 PM   #10
bjm7777

This intent of this post may inadvertently be repeated - I had a little trouble....Anyway, this is an interesting thread. It is tough to criticize someone's work - there is merit in any songs, but most of "A Painter Passing Through" and "East of Midnight" don't really do much for me. "Drifters" is a song I like, as well as "Much To My Surprise". I like "I'll Tag Along", "A Passing Ship" and "A Lesson in Love" (a lot). The rest I can live without.

Nevertheless, I saw Gordon in concert in Calgary in 1988 when he was touring his "East of Midnight" album. He dismissed his band for a while and he performed the title song solo with just his Martin - no other musicians - as well as one or two others. While the album is over-produced, in my opinion, the paired-down version of that song demonstrated how strong it was on its own.

An under-rated album of his is "Salute". The title song deals with quitting drinking after visiting his doctor - great subject material. There are gems like "Knotty Pine" and "Tattoo", but the throw-aways would be "Romance" or "Broken Dreams". That said, the whole album was fresh and new and as such, had merit.

Anyway, this was a tough thread and a tip of the hat to the person who started it up. Gets you thinking...
bjm7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:17 AM   #11
Nightingale

Well, it's "Ring Neck Loon" and "Couchiching" for me. I am kind of surprised to see "May I" on the list. I always thought it was kind of clever and catchy.

One of my favorite albums is "Salute" but my least favorite song on it is "Knotty Pine".
I know that a lot of people really love that song but the lyrics to it just really bother me...lol.
into the broad ocean..."

G. Lightfoot "Tattoo"
Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:55 AM   #12
fezo

I'm a little surprised that My Pony Won't Go is leading the pack at the moment. Not saying it's a classic but I probably like it better than anything else on the list.

Actually side two of Old Dan's records is a curious thing. To me it starts with two relative throw aways - Can't Depend on Love and Pony and then it's like somebody flipped a switch because you hit It's Worth Believin', Mother of a miner's Child and Hiway Songs right in a row. Great tunes.

Heck, Hiway Songs keep making me aspire to being Canadian....
fezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:32 PM   #13
youngstranger

I think Salute is very under rated. It's not too wildly over produced and has interesting songs: Salute, Knotty Pine, Whispers of the North and Tattoo (in the classic Lightfoot romantic style). Biscuit City, I could do without. Salute does seem to be a forgotten album.

There is a bootleg around of a some folk benefit appearence in the 80s where he performs lots of stripped down versions of East of Midnight songs and they are great. A Lesson In Love is intense in that form.
youngstranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:41 PM   #14
Borderstone

"Romance" a throwaway??! Bite your tounge,it's great both musically and lyrically.

As for "I'll Tag Along" I really love that one,more the little know acoustic version than the EOM version. Fantastic lyrics.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:11 PM   #15
RM

Just curious.........

Does anyone here actually believe that they can present an argument that would convince someone to quit liking/disliking or start liking/disliking a particular song ?

Last edited by RM; 03-05-2009 at 04:14 PM.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:16 PM   #16
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
Just curious.........

Does anyone here actually believe that they can present an argument that would convince someone to quit liking/disliking or start liking/disliking a particular song ?

Nope. We're a stubborn lot.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:01 AM   #17
bjm7777

[QUOTE=Borderstone;149346]"Romance" a throwaway??! Bite your tounge,it's great both musically and lyrically.

OOPS!
bjm7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:24 AM   #18
Nightingale

Well, I was going to cheat and vote again but it won't let me I guess I should thank RM for keeping me honest even if it's by default...lol.
into the broad ocean..."

G. Lightfoot "Tattoo"
Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:28 AM   #19
joveski

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngstranger View Post
There is a bootleg around of a some folk benefit appearence in the 80s where he performs lots of stripped down versions of East of Midnight songs and they are great. A Lesson In Love is intense in that form.

this is the one: great show!

New York, NY
Folkworks WNEW Folkfest - September 13, 1987

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spanish Moss
Shadows
The Last Time I Saw Her
I'll Tag Along
East Of Midnight
A Lesson In Love
Morning Glory
Chrisrian Island
Don Quixote
If You Could Read My Mind
The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:05 AM   #20
formerlylavender

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
Just curious.........

Probably not, but it could make you give it another listen just to make sure!
formerlylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:33 PM   #21
JohnStinson

Default Bottom Ten Least Favorite is Stuck

Well its not much of a sample. ..But the pol is open till Mar 23.

The current list of ten on this poll has The bottom 5 songs as

The worst:
My Pony Won't Go
Couchiching

Real Bad:
May I
Ring Neck Loon
Boathouse

(Being demoted (meaning they are so bad) if they stay here are the following 5
Can live with them for a while:
Uncle Toad Said
On Yonge St.
Flyin' Blind

Some like it:
Beautiful

Apparently somewhat liked:
Endless Wire

Please check in with the head to head song wars and the other threads on most favorites as well. (if you're interested). There's more than one way to skin this bird.

Personally I like Ring Neck Loon... but there is no accounting for taste.
..and my personal worst..Uncle Toad Said, seems to be OK by you. I might be changing my mind of that one.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:58 PM   #22
Unsettled 1

Personally, I don't understand how "Beautiful" can be on this list. I'm also partial to "All I'm After" (I simply shorten the maaaade.) But Coochiching has to be the worst. (No disrespect intended)
Brian
Unsettled 1 is offline   Reply With Quote