banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk

Old 11-04-2007, 10:43 PM   #51
charlene

Default Re: Red Sox Nation Rules!!!!!

I Love matt- he plays every game like it's his last and he plays for the love of the game.
Hopefully the Jays will do better next season..

charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 11:29 PM   #52
Jesse Joe

I somehow think they probably will be better next season. Matt seems like such a friendly guy. Your right Charlene when you say he's built like a brick,"Stumpy" lol When he hits a double, it's fun to watch him put on the brakes at second base.

Last edited by Jesse Joe; 11-04-2007 at 11:36 PM.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 09:30 AM   #53
Jesse Joe

Rheal Cormier !

Hey podunklander, would you remember this guy, who played for The SOX, among other teams. The reason for asking, is that he is from my hometown of Cap-Pele, NB. Good New-Brunswick guy...

Rheal Cormier

Rheal Cormier PitcherBorn: April 23, 1967 (1967-04-23) (age 40)Batted: LeftThrew: LeftMLB debutAugust 15, 1991
for the St. Louis CardinalsFinal gameApril 18, 2007
for the Cincinnati RedsCareer statisticsWin-Loss 71-64Games 683ERA 4.03TeamsCareer highlights and awards
  • 83 games in 2004 (3rd in NL)
Rhéal Paul Cormier (born April 23, 1967) is a Canadian of Acadian ancestry who is a temporarily retiredMajor League Baseballpitcher.
Born in Shediac, New Brunswick, Canada, he attended Community College of Rhode Island in Warwick, Rhode Island and was drafted by the St. Louis Cardinals in the 6th round of the 1988 amateur draft.
On July 31, 2006, Cormier was traded from the Philadelphia Phillies to the Cincinnati Reds for pitching prospect Justin Germano.
On April 28, 2007, Cormier was designated for assignment by the Reds after a poor start to the 2007 campaign. He pitched 3IP, 9.00 ERA, and 1K this season. On May 13, 2007, The Atlanta Braves signed Cormier to a minor league contract and assigned him to their AAA-affiliate, the Richmond Braves. He only played for them briefly and has since decided to take the summer off before deciding whether or not to play again in 2008.

Rheal Cormier

Rheal Paul Cormier Bats Left, Throws Left
Height 5' 10", Weight 185 lb.

Debut August 15, 1991

Born April 23, 1967 in Moncton, New Brunswick, CAN

Drafted by the St. Louis Cardinals in the 6th round of the 1988 amateur draft. Player signed June 9, 1988. (All Transactions) About biographical information

Minors.B-R: Minor League Stats
BR Bullpen: Find or enter more info for this person (what's this?)
Oracle: Find all of this player's teammates.

Last edited by Jesse Joe; 11-05-2007 at 10:11 AM.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:14 AM   #54
Jesse Joe

If Rheal decides to play another year or so, man I would love to see him pitch for The Jays.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:23 PM   #55
catrinka

Jesse Joe, I don't know if podunklander remembers him, but I do.

Like podunklander, I'm a native New Englander and have been a "member" of Red Sox Nation since before it was called that. I've been following the Red Sox since I was...<ahem>...a child. Memories of the "Impossible Dream" loss (the year Rheal was born) are as fresh in my mind as 2004's World Series win.

Unfortunately, Rheal's stint in Boston didn't stick. (Fenway Park is a southpaw's nightmare.) He might have better luck playing for the Jays. They could use him, for sure!

(Ironically, I'm also of Acadian descent. It is almost certain that Rheal and I are cousins of some sort. My g3grandmother was a Cormier (from Nova Scotia) whose grandfather was from Beaubassin, NB. Just about all Acadians are related in some manner!)

catrinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 04:52 PM   #56
Jesse Joe

Hi Cathy A,

Great to hear all of this. It is indeed a small world eh ? I do believe this is the first I get to answer one of your post. I somehow heard Rheal didn't do to good in Boston.

I didn't follow his carrer all that much, as I am a hockey person first, and then in Baseball, the Blue Jays are my team.

He did play with the Montreal Expos. I can't speak for him but I think he would probably be happy to finish a couple of years in the great Canadian city of TO. What Canadian boy wouldn't ! Matt Stairs seems very happy to be playing in that fantastic Dome, and he is doing his share, helping The Jays... (He was born in St-John, NB.) But as far as Rheal, one would have to see. Everything is possible I guess.

It was a big thing in the early 90's down here when news broke that Rheal was going to play for The St-Louis Cardinals. Local small town boy making it to the majors. He grew up about maybe 3 miles south of where I grew up.

Very nice to get to hear from you catrinka. maybe you and I are also related.

You must love our musical hero Gord, to be on this board.

All the best,

~Jesse~

Last edited by Jesse Joe; 11-05-2007 at 05:24 PM.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:03 PM   #57
charlene

You could be related to J.P. Cormier too Catrinka/Cathy!
Hey Jesse-Joe - Catrinka is Yuri's wife....glad she's stepping into the world of the "Net People" on-line like the rest of us!
It's a small world...geeze- THERE'S a song if ever I heard one!
lol
Old 11-05-2007, 05:22 PM   #58
Jesse Joe

Oh well many thank's for telling me this Charlene. Yuri's wife, I did not know that of course. But I do remember that Yuri said in an earlier post that his wife was from Boston. So there you go. Still hope she keeps posting. Another great Lighthead. Yuri is a friendly guy as Im sure Cathy is as well.

I appreaciate you letting me know things like this, Char.

Thank You Much !
Old 11-05-2007, 07:05 PM   #59
podunklander

Quote:
Originally Posted by catrinka View Post
Jesse Joe, I don't know if podunklander remembers him, but I do.

Like podunklander, I'm a native New Englander and have been a "member" of Red Sox Nation since before it was called that. I've been following the Red Sox since I was...<ahem>...a child. Memories of the "Impossible Dream" loss (the year Rheal was born) are as fresh in my mind as 2004's World Series win.

Unfortunately, Rheal's stint in Boston didn't stick. (Fenway Park is a southpaw's nightmare.) He might have better luck playing for the Jays. They could use him, for sure!

(Ironically, I'm also of Acadian descent. It is almost certain that Rheal and I are cousins of some sort. My g3grandmother was a Cormier (from Nova Scotia) whose grandfather was from Beaubassin, NB. Just about all Acadians are related in some manner!)
Hi Cathy!!! Nice to have another native New Englander/sports fan on the board WELCOME! I sorta/kinda recall Rheal...I know my son would better than I. That's the way it goes with pitchers though - some have come and gone but all have left memories! We certainly remember them if they gave us the 'middle finger'!

Well, I've been impressed by your knowledge of New England sports even before you joined us here lol! Last Friday night in the chatroom, Yuri was typing the names of the football teams from the 40's you were rattling off!

I only found the one copy of a newspaper article (1945) about the football team that my father owned...and that was from very soon after it was formed. I only have a partial clipping of the newspaper article, so the name of the team isn't indicated in what little I have. It does indicate the Italian-American sporting club and the Cercle Canadien as sponsors.

PATS were GREAT last night...AWESOME game!!! and how about Ray Allen over the weekend WOOOEEEEEEEEE!!!

Pam
Old 11-06-2007, 01:32 AM   #60
catrinka

Wow! So many postings to comment on! I'll take them one at a time...

Jesse Joe ~

It is indeed a small world! And, you're quite right...Rheal didn't do very well in Boston. Kinda like Marc Gagné this year. Seems like Canadian baseball players have a bit of trouble catching on in Bean Town. I wish him luck for the future, though.

Although I'm a baseball fan, hockey is also high on my list of favorite sports. I've been following the Bruins since before becoming a Red Sox fan. And, as podunklander has guessed, I'm also a Patriots fan. Toss the Celtics into the mix and you get an idea of how I spent my youth!

If you are Acadian, chances are very good that we are related! Genealogy is a passion for me (to Yuri's consternation), so feel free to send me a private message and I'll be happy to check it out!

I've always loved Gord's music, but haven't had much time to get involved...I've kinda tagged along with Yuri. But, the people here have been very supportive of Yuri, which has endeared them to me. I'll probably not have a lot of time to contribute very often, but will be back!

Charlene~

I'm quite sure I'm related to J.P. Cormier, but haven't been able to trace his ancestry. If you know of anywhere that can be found online, I'd love to know!

Thanks for letting people know that I'm Yuri's wife...I forget that people here don't know that!

As for stepping into the world of "net people"...I've actually been online for about 10 years (computing for almost twice as long), just haven't joined up with any forums!

podunklander~

Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm very happy to be here...and thrilled to find another rabid Red Sox fan!

I wish I could take credit for prior knowledge of the football teams from the 40's...but I have to admit I had to look some of it up! However, my Dad played semi-pro ball, so I probably have a better background knowledge than many.

I'm fascinated by the team that your dad owned. With those clues, I might be able to tap into my research sources and come up with something. Give me some time and I'll report back.

The Pats had me a bit worried, but they managed to pull it out! Whew! I missed Ray Allen's debut here in Toronto, but caught some headlines...Wow! If he keeps playing like that, the Celts might have a shot at getting back the title!

Old 11-06-2007, 02:44 AM   #61
RM

Quote:
Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm very happy to be here...and thrilled to find another rabid Red Sox fan!
A little common courtesy please......A few Yankee fans also reside here.

All in fun.....
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:58 AM   #62
catrinka

Ah, yes...the Yankees...are you sure you want to bring them up, Ron? In a thread called "Red Sox Nation Rules!!!!!!" - ? Gosh, you're brave!

(Just so you know, my siblings and nephews are HUGE Yankee fans...they haven't been talking to me lately!)

Old 11-06-2007, 03:31 PM   #63
SilverHeels

Red Sux ..... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH! DIE BOSTON, DIE!
(as Ron says ... 'all in fun' ... )
Old 11-06-2007, 05:16 PM   #64
catrinka

Curt Shilling will be back with the Red Sox in 2008!! Check his blog at http://38pitches.com/ for full details.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:02 PM   #65
SilverHeels

Quote:
Curt Shilling will be back with the Red Sox in 2008!! Check his blog at http://38pitches.com/ for full details.
Now why would I want to do that?
Old 11-06-2007, 06:23 PM   #66
RM

SilverHeels,

In yet another display of great bravery, I did check Spieling's blog. Just as I figured, he's mighty full of himself and apparently mighty full, period (weigh-in clause ?). Seriously though, he has to be one of the best big game pitchers of all time.

Yankees don't do blogs......they.... (I'm working on this part).
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:27 PM   #67
podunklander

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
SilverHeels,

In yet another display of great bravery, I did check Spieling's blog. Just as I figured, he's mighty full of himself and apparently mighty full, period (weigh-in clause ?). Seriously though, he has to be one of the best big game pitchers of all time.

Yankees don't do blogs......they.... (I'm working on this part).
Oh well, sheesh...may I ? Ummm, what most immediately comes to mind, "they...suck pond water"
Old 11-06-2007, 11:28 PM   #68
podunklander

Quote:
YIPPEEEEEEEEE WoooHOOOOOOeeeeeeeeee
Old 11-06-2007, 11:54 PM   #69
podunklander

Quote:
Wow! So many postings to comment on! I'll take them one at a time...

Jesse Joe ~

It is indeed a small world! And, you're quite right...Rheal didn't do very well in Boston. Kinda like Marc Gagné this year. Seems like Canadian baseball players have a bit of trouble catching on in Bean Town. I wish him luck for the future, though.

Although I'm a baseball fan, hockey is also high on my list of favorite sports. I've been following the Bruins since before becoming a Red Sox fan. And, as podunklander has guessed, I'm also a Patriots fan. Toss the Celtics into the mix and you get an idea of how I spent my youth!

If you are Acadian, chances are very good that we are related! Genealogy is a passion for me (to Yuri's consternation), so feel free to send me a private message and I'll be happy to check it out!

I've always loved Gord's music, but haven't had much time to get involved...I've kinda tagged along with Yuri. But, the people here have been very supportive of Yuri, which has endeared them to me. I'll probably not have a lot of time to contribute very often, but will be back!

Charlene~

I'm quite sure I'm related to J.P. Cormier, but haven't been able to trace his ancestry. If you know of anywhere that can be found online, I'd love to know!

Thanks for letting people know that I'm Yuri's wife...I forget that people here don't know that!

As for stepping into the world of "net people"...I've actually been online for about 10 years (computing for almost twice as long), just haven't joined up with any forums!

podunklander~

I wish I could take credit for prior knowledge of the football teams from the 40's...but I have to admit I had to look some of it up! However, my Dad played semi-pro ball, so I probably have a better background knowledge than many.

I'm fascinated by the team that your dad owned. With those clues, I might be able to tap into my research sources and come up with something. Give me some time and I'll report back.

The Pats had me a bit worried, but they managed to pull it out! Whew! I missed Ray Allen's debut here in Toronto, but caught some headlines...Wow! If he keeps playing like that, the Celts might have a shot at getting back the title!

Did your dad play in Masschusetts too? I really have to find a day to get to the library in Mass and go through the newspaper archives. But if you could find some info...kewl! and thanks!

Yeah that Pats game was a nail biter for a minute there! Ray Allen is SUPER and glad to have him back East. I've been following him since I was a student at UCONN (the same time as me) -had him sign a poster for my son .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ray Allen.JPG
Views:	503
Size:	273.0 KB
ID:	524  
Old 11-07-2007, 09:53 AM   #70
jj

congrats to Bosox! ....I missed most of the series, IMO, such a slow sport unless your team's invloved...not sure of this one was more boring or not than the Bosox series win a few years ago but the journey there is certainly usually most exciting for most fans

I wish there was a salary cap to even the 'playing field' a bit, it's rediculous for small market teams and i really love it when they somehow manage to knock off the big spenders

I heard that Yanks paid ARod more than 11 different teams TOTAL payroll....and Bosox paid over $100M for one of their Japanese pitchers...crazy, and Toronto is starting to follow suit....to bad the days of seeing the young prospects develop through one's farm system and then play and star for that same organization are pretty much gone....i guess money can buy happiness but i love when it occasionally buys misery instead

glad nobody was killed during the celebrations, just a few nuts got out of hand which is not fair if it tarnished the feat or fine city of Boston...seems like more normal than not in any city

to us others, maybe next year
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:18 AM   #71
charlene

[QUOTE=jj;

to us others, maybe next year [/QUOTE]

James you make me LAFF so hard sometimes..
:0

GO LEAFS GO!!

GO LOONIE GO - up to $1.10 !!
ack!
Old 12-13-2007, 09:00 AM   #72
Jesse Joe

Red Sox coming to N.S.

the canadian press Published Wednesday December 12th, 2007
Appeared on page C1

HALIFAX - It may be the middle of hockey season, but baseball will be the focus when Boston Red Sox team officials bring the World Series trophy to Nova Scotia next month.

The Bluenose Bosox Brotherhood, a fan club of the team in Nova Scotia, has convinced the Red Sox to include the province on the trophy's tour.
Brooke Taylor, a member of the legislature, said last night the visit will include a stop in Province House.
He said it looks like the trophy will be here Jan. 8-9.
Taylor said he doesn't believe any current players will make the trip, but a former player might. Names being kicked around include former pitchers Bill (Spaceman) Lee and Jim Lonborg.
The Red Sox enjoy a huge fan following in the Maritimes. An official with the Red Sox media relations office confirmed the trip is on, but had no details.
The Red Sox swept the Colorado Rockies in this year's World Series for their second title in four years. Their 2004 championship ended an 86-year drought

Last edited by Jesse Joe; 12-13-2007 at 09:05 AM.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:30 PM   #73
podunklander

VERY KEWL!!! In fact, I was supposed to go see/visit the trophy at 5:30 today at my son's college...but due to the snow, it's been cancelled. BUMMER. We're hoping it gets rescheduled SOON...but exams are next week and my son's concerned that he'll miss out on seeing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Joe View Post

Red Sox coming to N.S.

the canadian press Published Wednesday December 12th, 2007
Appeared on page C1

HALIFAX - It may be the middle of hockey season, but baseball will be the focus when Boston Red Sox team officials bring the World Series trophy to Nova Scotia next month.

The Bluenose Bosox Brotherhood, a fan club of the team in Nova Scotia, has convinced the Red Sox to include the province on the trophy's tour.
Brooke Taylor, a member of the legislature, said last night the visit will include a stop in Province House.
He said it looks like the trophy will be here Jan. 8-9.
Taylor said he doesn't believe any current players will make the trip, but a former player might. Names being kicked around include former pitchers Bill (Spaceman) Lee and Jim Lonborg.
The Red Sox enjoy a huge fan following in the Maritimes. An official with the Red Sox media relations office confirmed the trip is on, but had no details.
The Red Sox swept the Colorado Rockies in this year's World Series for their second title in four years. Their 2004 championship ended an 86-year drought