banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-07-2000, 12:01 AM   #1
Dan

I have sent four pictures from a digital camera which I sent to Florian. I also have pictures from a regular camera which I will send to Florian when I get them developed!

Before the concert we scouted out where they hide the talent. I found the door where the performers pass through to get to the acutal hall and me and my whole family planted ourselves there. I talked to everyone around that door to see if I could get in to talk to Gordon. The security gaurds were telling tales that Gord wasn't even there yet when low and behold who walks out but Rick Haynes. Me and another guy stepped over to talk to Rick. I asked him if he could get Gord to sign our copy of the Sit Down Young Stranger LP. He said to come back after the concert and Gord would sign it. I asked him if I could take his picture with my wife and he said OK and I did.

Here is the play list

14k Gold
I'll Do Anything
In My Fashion
Beautiful
Forgive Me Lord
Sundown
Carefree Highway-After a story of how he almost left the lyrics on a scrap of paper in a rental cars glove compartment in Arizona.
Spanish Moss
Don Q
I'll Prove My Love
Ghost of CapeHorn
Blackberry Wine
Minstrel of the Dawn-After people shouted it out as a request. He had just finished the previous song and changed to the 12-string. Then after someone shouted it out he changed back to the 6-string and played it.
Wreck-After changing back to the 12-string Intermission for about 15-20 minutes. Restless
Waiting for You
Fading Away
Ring Them Bells
If You Could Read My Mind
Painter Passing Through
Early Morning Rain
Baby Step Back
Make Way For the Lady
Song For A Winter's Night
Canadian Railroad Trilogy
Encore
Old Dan's Records

The concert was absolutely fantastic. We sat in the 5th row we had great seats. I met up with SundownBuff and her sister. She was in the second row across the aisle. We talked after the concert and then went to the door together.

Gord looked great and was in great voice. Most of the people there seemed to be loyal fans because usually when he wasn't singing everyone was yelling out requests. At one point he said something like let's go back aways and someone yelled out a song and he said not that far back. Unfortunately I don't remember the song title yelled out.

Rick Haynes told me to come back to that door after the concert and we would be able to meet Gord. When we got to the door there were a bunch of people standing around and the security gaurds kept telling everyone that Gord wasn't seeing anyone who wasn't on the list. Some people standiing there were on the list and got in. They kept telling us that he wasn't seeing anyone so slowly the crowd dwindled down to about 5 sets of people. Mike Heferan walked out with a keyboard and went back into the theater saying that he would be right back. He came back and I asked him for his autograph and talked to him with another guy for a few moments. The other guy asked Mike if he could Gord to sign a book(that biography Gord doesn't like) for him so I asked Mike if he would get Gord to sign our copy of the Sit Down Young Stranger LP and the other people also gave him stuff for Gord to sign. He took it all and came back with it all signed a few minutes later.

A few moments later Rick Haynes came out with a cup coffee and started visiting with us all. Now I asked if he would sign the Sit Down Young Stranger LP. I took his picture. He talked to us like he was an old friend. Other people asked him to sign various items too. I asked him if I could get a picture of him with my family and he said sure. The security gaurd took my camera and told me to get in the picture too so I did. I told him to take two. (I also took pictures of SundownBuff with Mike and Rick with her camera.) I then realized that I brought the Songbook booklet and asked Rick to sign it. I asked him where do theyusually sign the booklet and he told me he would sigin it anywhere I wanted. He then said a lot of times they sign the group picture of the whole band backstage at Massey
Hall. So that is where Rick signed it after turning to the Carefree Highway picture and telling me that he took it.

Rick talked with us about 10 minutes I thanked him for a great concert as did the other people. I shook his hand about three or four times. After Rick went back in the room some more people left. Now there were only three groups of people left. Me and my family (there are six of us), a family of
three from Rochester and SundownBuff and her Sister. We continued to wait then about five minutes later the security gaurd came out and winked at us and mouthed that Gord was coming out! They told us to line up next to the door. A few moments later out walked Rick then Gord and his family. Immediately greeted him with a big HELLO GORDON and put my hand out to shake his I thanked him for a great concert and asked if would sign the Songbook booklet he did then I asked if I could take his picture with my family and he said sure! I think SundownBuff took my camera and told me to get into the picture. My wife and kids were already crowded around him and he had his arm around my wife so I just pushed in and I told whoever was taking the picture to take two. He was very kind even though I was probably acting like I was about 10!!!

Let me think some and I will post another message in a few minutes.

Dan

[This message has been edited by Dan (edited August 07, 2000).]
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2000, 12:18 AM   #2
Dan

I am too tired now I will post some more tomorrow. I am sure SundownBuff has more to add. We all had a great time especially since we met the MAN. What a nice guy and that Rick Haynes and Mike Heferan both very nice to us!!

Talk to you all tomorrow!

Dan
Old 08-07-2000, 05:43 AM   #3
Dan

Sundownbuff,

Send me your e-mail address and I will e-mail you the pictures from from the digital camera which came out fromlast night.

I have to go to work. Have a good day!

Dan
Old 08-07-2000, 08:08 AM   #4
sundownbuff

As Dab has already said the concert was wonderful. There were several songs that I have never heard in concert before. This concert was ver personal and we had great seats. As Dan said we were successful in meeting him, getting authographs, he was so kind when we wanted photos. During the concert at a quiet moment, his daughter Meredith called out to him, "Hi daddy," and his reply was "Hi baby"
After the concert I asked what her favorite song was and she said, "Don Q" I spoke to Elizabeth, his wife, and I asked how they met. She replied that she was in the music business also and a friend introduced them. What A Friend. She said they have been married for 12 years. She along with Gordon, Rick and Mike were very kind to us. We talked about about past concerts. Rick was very knowledgeable about remembering past concerts. We asked if they had a program of songs ahead of time and he said no. They just wait for what he is going to play. It was unbelieveable. What a wonderful birthday this is. I can't wait for the photos to see how they came how. More to follow. It was great meeting Dan and his family. What a beautiful wife he has. What a kind man Gordon is and he was so wonderful to his fans. I told him I would be seeing him in San Diego. He talked about what a great venue Humphrey's was. We shall see.
sundownbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2000, 10:17 AM   #5
Mary Ann

Dan, Sundownbuff-
Oh, you guys! I am SO envious! Sounds like you each had a great time and so glad that you had the opportunity to meet one another. That must have been a blast in itself. But to meet THE MAN . . . WOW!
Sundownbuff asked if Gord had a set list of songs he sings and the answer was no. I think that is terrific! So spontaneous. I already had a feeling that was how Gord operated from reading previous accountings by Char and others who attended a concert recently. It also tells alot about his band and how flexible they are. What a team they make!
I suppose next we'll be getting a blow by blow account of the concert in CT by the irrepressible Shipwrecked00 . . . I can't wait.
Mary Ann
Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2000, 01:13 PM   #6
Silver Heels

Guys, I am SO envious but so grateful too for the wonderful reports. Cant wait for the other photos, Dan. The first four were great. I wonder why Gord never sings Christian Island these days? Anyone know?
Thanks again Dan and Sundownbuff. IF you remember anything else - send it thru fast!
Silver Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2000, 10:48 PM   #7
potter

Good report Dan!

I too was at Majestic. It was a fine show. The audience was very 'up' and so was Gord. I liked hearing Spanish Moss, its always been one of my favorites. I thought Gord was particularly excellent on Early Morning Rain and the Three selections from Waiting For You with which he opened the second set. Forgive Me Lord, termed a rarity by Gord, was also quite enjoyable.

Have a Good Day,

potter
potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2000, 10:56 PM   #8
charlene

I would give anything to hear him sing Spanish Moss again.
Char
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2000, 11:04 PM   #9
sundownbuff

A couple more notes about the concert at the Majestic. I have never heard Spanish Moss or Forgive Me Lord in concert before. I though he was fantastic with Early Morning Rain. When we talked to Rick it amazed me that he has played with Gord for 32 years. The newest member of the band has played for 20 years. They seem to enjoy playing together. As I look at my photos of Gord and me, it just amazes me that I had finally met him. Dan your family is great. Very nice kids. I have a a picture of a blonde hair boy smiling, is that your son? I wonder if the San Diego concert hall is as fan friendly as the Majestic. Who is going to be there. Are you going Lams?
Old 08-09-2000, 12:51 AM   #10
Dan

SUNDOWNBUFF,

If the boy has blonde hair and bushy dark eye brows then yes it is my son!

Great seeing you,

Dan
Old 08-09-2000, 04:23 AM   #11
Frank v

What a concert!
It must have been some experience to attend that.
An awesome set of songs,covering 33 years!
Look forward to those photos.

Frank.
Frank v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2000, 06:12 AM   #12
sundownbuff

Yes, he had bushy eye brows and a million dollar smile. What a pretty wife dan has. I don't have a scanner to post my pictures. If I mailed you a copy Dan, would you post them for me? I have a picture of Mike and me. He laughed and said, I hope my girlfriend doesn't see this on the internet. An old lady like me and that cute guy.
Old 08-09-2000, 08:46 AM   #13
Mary Ann

Sundownbuff,
If I recall correctly, wasn't your birthday on August 7th? What a way to celebrate your birthday!!! Anyway, happy belated.

Mary Ann
Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2000, 03:36 PM   #14
theotterjudy

Hey, Sundownbuff-

So far it looks like the clan going to San Diego includes myself, LAMS and her mom, Janice, Erica, and Doug. Did I leave anyone out? Dan? Rob? Wes? What about you guys? We need (don't tell Char) some male backup to hold us back from converging on poor Gord all at once and having cat fights. Anybody else joining us at Humphrey's? Chime on in.
(I personally think we should all print our screen names on large pieces of paper and hold them up so all the audience can see, so we can all meet during the intermission in one area - what do you think?)

See YOU there!--Judy

------------------
"the mornin' after blues, from my head down to my shoes..."
-------------------------
"Laughing eyes and smiling face..."
theotterjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2000, 07:47 PM   #15
sundownbuff

Yes, Mary Ann, my birthday was the 7th and thanks you for the birthday greeting. I can't imagine having a better way to spend my birthday. The concert was to wonderful. We had second row seats. In front of us was a gentleman and his son maybe four or five. He kept running around up and down the aisle. About twenty minutes into the first set they left. I was so glad. Can you imagine taking a child to a concert that doesn't want to sit and listen. So I had an even better view of Gord and company.
Old 08-09-2000, 07:50 PM   #16
sundownbuff

Theotterjudy, Yes we should arrange to meet. I will bring a sign with my logo on if everyone else does. I told Gord I would see him in San Diego. Rick and he both said it was a great venue and they enjoyed playing there. The ticket is a gift from my daughter and son-in-law for my birthday. We can arrange to meet before I leave for SanDiego on the 30th.
Old 08-10-2000, 02:53 PM   #17
theotterjudy

Sounds like a plan.....more on that later!

------------------
Old 08-10-2000, 05:37 PM   #18
Frank v

Gord and sunny California!
Ladies you're making me envious!
Can we hope for a review of the concert when you return?

Frank.
Frank v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2000, 05:41 PM   #19
theotterjudy

But of course!

------------------
Old 08-10-2000, 08:26 PM   #20
sundownbuff

But of Course!
Old 08-12-2000, 02:39 AM   #21
Janice

But of course!

(This will be my first Gord concert, I can't wait)

Janice
Janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2000, 06:48 AM   #22
Frank v

Janice,
Only 19 days to go
(Take care.)
If you meet the legend.Tell him about his fans overseas

Ladies,my thoughts will be with you!

My trip?
THIS WHOLE SITES A TRIP

Frank.