banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2004, 10:31 AM   #1
tmartin

has anybody herd of gordon lightfoot in the united kingdom? or is it just me? if there is come on! lets get him on the radio, the t.v , there must be footage out there the country is missing out, harmony must be herd there has been no ad`s on the t.v no nothing! come on!
tmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 10:31 AM   #2
JOHN

has anybody herd of gordon lightfoot in the united kingdom? or is it just me? if there is come on! lets get him on the radio, the t.v , there must be footage out there the country is missing out, harmony must be herd there has been no ad`s on the t.v no nothing! come on!
JOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 06:44 PM   #3
MajorSirJerryPending

Send a message via ICQ to MajorSirJerryPending

John,I have been a fan of Gordon Lightfoot's since the late 60's/early 70's
I have, I think, all his major recordings, now on CD 26 in all ( including the 4 box set Songbook )
I have just bought Harmony and at the risk of offending other GL fans, I don't think this is anywhere near his best work. his voice, understandably, is weaker, but my biggest complaint is the lack of variety in the album. A lot of the songs sound similar, tempo, chords etc. In fact some are very reminiscent of his earlier stuff, but without the strength. I hope I don't upset too many people, but when I look at some of the entries in the message board about this being his best work, I really have to disagree. I still love his work!!!!
Steve G
MajorSirJerryPending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 06:44 PM   #4
steve gittins

John,I have been a fan of Gordon Lightfoot's since the late 60's/early 70's
I have, I think, all his major recordings, now on CD 26 in all ( including the 4 box set Songbook )
I have just bought Harmony and at the risk of offending other GL fans, I don't think this is anywhere near his best work. his voice, understandably, is weaker, but my biggest complaint is the lack of variety in the album. A lot of the songs sound similar, tempo, chords etc. In fact some are very reminiscent of his earlier stuff, but without the strength. I hope I don't upset too many people, but when I look at some of the entries in the message board about this being his best work, I really have to disagree. I still love his work!!!!
Steve G
steve gittins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 10:10 PM   #5
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

quote:Originally posted by JOHN:
[B]has anybody herd of gordon lightfoot in the united kingdom? or is it just me? B]
It's interesting that two of you in the UK should be posting to this topic:almost a "herd"!!
John The obvious answer as so many of us have found is that you are by no means alone in your admiration for Gordon, But I well know what you mean having felt the same way until 1997 when I found the Newsgroup,and the chat room and all sorts of wonderfully obsessed fans (one of whom I married causing me to exchange Dorset for New Jersey).
You might have missed a recent appeal by Croydon's very own Bruna Zanelli regarding her proposed "Brit Lighthead Gathering" at:-

http://www.corfid.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002301.html
one reply by Bru herself lists 8 brit gordfans to which she can of course now add you and Steve Gittins.
She is now on her way across the pond for a Lighthead gathering in Atlanta, Georgia on Saturday (19th) following which she will be in New Jersey next week and we are holding a small gathering for dinner in Morristown NJ on Sat 26th June. so you should drop her an e-mail for her to see on her return. BrunaZanelli@aol.com (note the 2 capitals)
In addition to you two and the others listed, there is
Newsgroup poster Kevin Andreoli in Waterloovile Hants, Brian Walters (who has collected an amazing variety of Gord albums and their sublte variations) who is now in Cheltenham, and a one time keen fan (Alvin Tull) who I met in Brockenhurst,Hants once, Plus the very keen BBC Radio Merseyside DJ Spencer Leigh who managed to get a rare and superb interview with The Man in Toronto in 1999. Which reminds me of Bob Elliot an avid collector in Liverpool, plus possibly Noel Edmunds who as I said in another topic I consider created the original I970/1/2 UK hit of IYRMM.
Even the world's most famous Irishman Terry Wogan called IYCRMM a wonderful song recently.
I hope that has given you John some encouragement. Bruna was trying to orchestrate a campaign of contacting UK radio stations to promote Harmony and I must get round to my awowed intent to bend "whispering" Bob Harris' ear to let him know that Gord sings songs other than Sundown!! Another thought that I recently e-mailed to Gaby in Leicester (But I believe she has since been unwell): Somebody there could try to set up a Brit chat session using my site's links and descriptions of the sucessful Friday evening chat:- http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/chat
And see my recurring "advert" topic at:- http://www.corfid.com/ubb/Forum1/HTM...ML/002271.html
The room is of course always open and a new session to suit UK chatters(Sunday afternoon??)could prove most useful if ever "Gordfestuk2004" gets off the ground!!
Finally Steve you are fully entitled to express how you find Harmony even if it flies in the face of most fan's reactions.Personally it is a very long long time since I played a new album so much and like all Gord's work it takes a long time to get realy familiar with all the songs. Basically you could argue that the majority of Gord's songs sound familiar and very many are reminiscent of earlier work but in many ways that is surely why we are all such devoted fans

------------------
My Gordon Lightfoot webring
starts at
http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/lightfoot

[This message has been edited by johnfowles (edited June 16, 2004).]
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 10:10 PM   #6
johnfowles

quote:Originally posted by JOHN:
[B]has anybody herd of gordon lightfoot in the united kingdom? or is it just me? B]
It's interesting that two of you in the UK should be posting to this topic:almost a "herd"!!
John The obvious answer as so many of us have found is that you are by no means alone in your admiration for Gordon, But I well know what you mean having felt the same way until 1997 when I found the Newsgroup,and the chat room and all sorts of wonderfully obsessed fans (one of whom I married causing me to exchange Dorset for New Jersey).
You might have missed a recent appeal by Croydon's very own Bruna Zanelli regarding her proposed "Brit Lighthead Gathering" at:-

http://www.corfid.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002301.html
one reply by Bru herself lists 8 brit gordfans to which she can of course now add you and Steve Gittins.
She is now on her way across the pond for a Lighthead gathering in Atlanta, Georgia on Saturday (19th) following which she will be in New Jersey next week and we are holding a small gathering for dinner in Morristown NJ on Sat 26th June. so you should drop her an e-mail for her to see on her return. BrunaZanelli@aol.com (note the 2 capitals)
In addition to you two and the others listed, there is
Newsgroup poster Kevin Andreoli in Waterloovile Hants, Brian Walters (who has collected an amazing variety of Gord albums and their sublte variations) who is now in Cheltenham, and a one time keen fan (Alvin Tull) who I met in Brockenhurst,Hants once, Plus the very keen BBC Radio Merseyside DJ Spencer Leigh who managed to get a rare and superb interview with The Man in Toronto in 1999. Which reminds me of Bob Elliot an avid collector in Liverpool, plus possibly Noel Edmunds who as I said in another topic I consider created the original I970/1/2 UK hit of IYRMM.
Even the world's most famous Irishman Terry Wogan called IYCRMM a wonderful song recently.
I hope that has given you John some encouragement. Bruna was trying to orchestrate a campaign of contacting UK radio stations to promote Harmony and I must get round to my awowed intent to bend "whispering" Bob Harris' ear to let him know that Gord sings songs other than Sundown!! Another thought that I recently e-mailed to Gaby in Leicester (But I believe she has since been unwell): Somebody there could try to set up a Brit chat session using my site's links and descriptions of the sucessful Friday evening chat:- http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/chat
And see my recurring "advert" topic at:- http://www.corfid.com/ubb/Forum1/HTM...ML/002271.html
The room is of course always open and a new session to suit UK chatters(Sunday afternoon??)could prove most useful if ever "Gordfestuk2004" gets off the ground!!
Finally Steve you are fully entitled to express how you find Harmony even if it flies in the face of most fan's reactions.Personally it is a very long long time since I played a new album so much and like all Gord's work it takes a long time to get realy familiar with all the songs. Basically you could argue that the majority of Gord's songs sound familiar and very many are reminiscent of earlier work but in many ways that is surely why we are all such devoted fans

------------------
starts at

[This message has been edited by johnfowles (edited June 16, 2004).]
Old 06-17-2004, 06:52 AM   #7
SeattleRain

To John Fowles's list you can add Jim Nasium avid Lightfoot fan.

John Fowles: The next time I am cruising through Brockenhurst I will down a pint on your behalf in the 'Snake Catcher'

A few years ago I was painting the outside of my house, when a delivery driver pulled up and showed me an address and asked me if I knew where it was. I live in an area called Brockhurst, in Gosport. His address was in Brockenhurst. When I pointed in the general direction of the New Forest and said 'about 30 miles that way, mate' he was not too happy. I hope he found it.
SeattleRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 06:52 AM   #8
Jim Nasium

John Fowles: The next time I am cruising through Brockenhurst I will down a pint on your behalf in the 'Snake Catcher'

A few years ago I was painting the outside of my house, when a delivery driver pulled up and showed me an address and asked me if I knew where it was. I live in an area called Brockhurst, in Gosport. His address was in Brockenhurst. When I pointed in the general direction of the New Forest and said 'about 30 miles that way, mate' he was not too happy. I hope he found it.
Jim Nasium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 10:07 AM   #9
johnfowles

quote:Originally posted by Jim Nasium:

Steve you are fully entitled to express how you find Harmony even if it flies in the face of most fan's reactions.Personally it is a very long long time since I played a new GL album so much and like all Gord's work it takes a long time to get realy familiar with all the songs. Basically you could argue that the majority of Gord's songs sound familiar and very many are reminiscent of earlier work but in many ways that is surely why we are all such devoted fans.
And Jim further to my mention of Alvin and Kevin may I suggest that you
try BT's free on-line Directory Enquiries at:- http://www2.bt.com/edq_resnamesearch
just enter tull a and postcode so
to find the only A Tull in Brockenhurst
(I have never downed a pint at the Snake Catcher)

then enter andreoli K postcode po
to find two entries for Kevin at the same address in Waterlooville one possibly a dedicated fax or internet line??

Every time I read JIm's name which looks suspiciously unike a real name I misread it as "nauseum" then realise that if that were true then you would surely have been christened Alan David
and I liked Jim's story of the confusion between Brockhurst and Brockenhurst, which reminded me of the time we lost an important parcel sent overnight to Swindon by British Railways once all-conquering "Red Star" next day delivery service . After some prodding BR found it at Swansea!!

------------------
starts at
Old 06-21-2004, 10:07 AM   #10
johnfowles

quote:Originally posted by Jim Nasium:

Steve you are fully entitled to express how you find Harmony even if it flies in the face of most fan's reactions.Personally it is a very long long time since I played a new GL album so much and like all Gord's work it takes a long time to get realy familiar with all the songs. Basically you could argue that the majority of Gord's songs sound familiar and very many are reminiscent of earlier work but in many ways that is surely why we are all such devoted fans.
And Jim further to my mention of Alvin and Kevin may I suggest that you
try BT's free on-line Directory Enquiries at:- http://www2.bt.com/edq_resnamesearch
just enter tull a and postcode so
to find the only A Tull in Brockenhurst
(I have never downed a pint at the Snake Catcher)

then enter andreoli K postcode po
to find two entries for Kevin at the same address in Waterlooville one possibly a dedicated fax or internet line??

Every time I read JIm's name which looks suspiciously unike a real name I misread it as "nauseum" then realise that if that were true then you would surely have been christened Alan David
and I liked Jim's story of the confusion between Brockhurst and Brockenhurst, which reminded me of the time we lost an important parcel sent overnight to Swindon by British Railways once all-conquering "Red Star" next day delivery service . After some prodding BR found it at Swansea!!

------------------
starts at
Old 06-21-2004, 02:35 PM   #11
Mair

quote: which reminded me of the time we lost an important parcel sent overnight to Swindon by British Railways once all-conquering "Red Star" next day delivery service . After some prodding BR found it at Swansea!![/B]

In Swansea?!? So sorry, John! But are we on the global map now? (three guesses where I live ...!) And sorry again that your parcel ended up here!!! I hope it got to its intended destination quickly!

And on a (semi) serious note - are there any other fans in Swansea, or even in Wales?!? Am I really on my own here?
Mair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 09:57 AM   #12
spacecase

Not Swansea, but Wales
spacecase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 09:57 AM   #13
Alison

Not Swansea, but Wales
Alison is offline   Reply With Quote