banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 09-02-2010, 07:39 PM   #1
charlene

Default Luke Doucet-Sundown cover - LISTEN TO MP3

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1692865/

With new CD, Luke Doucet is off and running

Luke Doucet
For the first time, the singer-songwriter lets someone else do the producing
Brad Wheeler

From Thursday's Globe and Mail
Published on Wednesday, Sep. 01, 2010 4:30PM EDT

Last updated on Wednesday, Sep. 01, 2010 8:00PM EDT

.There are no flies on Luke Doucet. After a long day of media interviews and appearances promoting his just-released album (Steel City Trawler), the songwriting singer, producer and fancy-fingered guitarist was relaxing in Toronto on a beer-parlour patio when he rose from his seat, announcing that he should get back to his Hamilton home. His young publicist agreed, suggesting that he rest up for the next day’s flight to Winnipeg.

“Actually,” he told her, “I need to go for a run.”

For Doucet, an insomniac and fledgling marathon runner, there aren’t enough hours in the day and too many of them during the night.

The Album: Steel City Trawler,credited to Luke Doucet and the White Falcon, is a departure of sorts for Doucet, the former hired-gun guitarist for Sarah McLachlan. It’s an assured, well-written record, but he has made those before, most notably the Juno-nominated, darkly styled Broken (And Other Rogue States) from 2005.

And Steel City Trawler, partly inspired by the current home of football’s Tiger-Cats, is a rock record. Of course, Doucet previously has made those, including the Nick Hornby-approved Blood’s Too Rich from 2008. The different approach this time is due to the helming of Andrew Scott, the Sloan drummer who produced the album.

“What I was hoping to get out of this record was not something necessarily that I’m the best person to do,” explains Doucet, who self-produced his previous works. The result is, well, a Sloan-y sound – a bit bright, a bit bouncy. “I find the sound of the bass and drums on the Sloan records really compelling,” Doucet says, “and Andrew played almost all the bass and drums on this album.”

The Sleeplessness: The album’s Tom Petty-ish You Gotta Get It includes the line “Sleeping is a luxury that makes me sweat.” Explains Doucet: “I’ve been an insomniac since the age of 11. I remembering doing exercises in bed, trying to tire myself out so I could sleep.”

These days, the boyish 37-year-old gets his workouts on running paths and roads, training for his first marathon. “I like to run,” he says. “It’s good for my head and it puts me in the good mood – it’s not just for my insomnia.”

His first road race will happen in October, in Devon, England, site of the Dartmoor Vale races. Doucet’s weekends are booked up for the next few months, but he’ll be touring Britain with Blue Rodeo in the fall, with one lone Sunday – race day – off.

Lightfoot Ya Better Take Care: If Doucet is worried over the sleepless hours that sundown brings, Sundown the song is another matter. The Lightfoot classic is reimagined on Steel City Trawler as a rougher, louder rocker. “I always heard that song in my head as a Crazy Horse song,” Doucet says, referring to Neil Young’s ragged grunge posse. What will Lightfoot think of the twang-and-roll version? “I doubt he’ll like it,” Doucet guesses. “But that’s okay – it’s not really for him.”

The Wife: Doucet is married to Melissa McClelland, the delightful singer-songwriter. The pair are collaborators in the studio – Doucet has produced three McClelland albums – and on tour. “We find ourselves waking up in a quaint B&B in Cape Town on a day off,” Doucet says, “and I think to myself, ‘This is a day in our life, a regular Tuesday.’ I really feel like I’m getting away with murder.”

McClelland’s career is thriving, soon necessitating some time apart from her husband. She’ll tour as one of the principals of the upcoming McLachlan and Friends series of concerts. “It’s a very generous gesture by Sarah,” says Doucet, who years ago joined McLachlan’s band as a 19-year-old hot shot. “It terrifies me that Melissa won’t be able to tour with me, but it’s absolutely the right thing for her to be doing, for her own career.”
more videos etc. -
http://www.lukedoucet.com/2010/e-lukedoucet.html

charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:05 AM   #2
Jesse Joe

Default Re: Luke Doucet-Sundown cover

It's the first I hear of this guy, great voice, nice music... another great singer songwriter.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:20 PM   #3
charlene

Why he chose Gordon Lightfoot's "Sundown" to cover:
You know how when you hear a song in your mind's eye and then you hear the actual recording they aren't always the same? Think about Neil Young's "Down By The River." In my head, it's a huge, rock 'n' roll thing, but then when you listen to the actual recording it's a fair bit humbler. "Sundown" was another one of those songs where I imagined it in my head to be a big song; it is a big song, but it's not a big recording, it's also fairly humble. In my head, I had it like a Crazy Horse song. Initially I thought, "Let's play this song live. Wouldn't that be a fun way to end the set?"

There was a tribute to Gordon Lightfoot at Nathan Philips Square [in Toronto] a few years ago and I did "Early Morning Rain." That was my first real exposure to Lightfoot because I didn't grow up with him. My parents were listening to The Band, Dylan, Neil Young and Tom Waits, but they weren't listening to Lightfoot. After I was asked to do this tribute, I started to listen to a bunch of his records and immediately fell in love with his songwriting. The funny thing about that gig is that [folk veteran] Brent Titcomb was at that event and I turned around to look at him backstage while I was singing "Early Morning Rain"; Brent had this look on his face like he had seen a ghost. Afterwards I asked him, "Hey man, what's going on? You look a little thrown off?" And he said, "Do you have any idea how much you look like Gordon Lightfoot?"

It never occurred to me, but there was this connection. I love discovering or unearthing a love affair between myself and another artist that I wasn't aware of. I have huge black holes in my music listening and I'm just trying to fill them in once in a while.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:43 PM   #4
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Joe View Post
It's the first I hear of this guy, great voice, nice music... another great singer songwriter.

oh, jjo, i thought you ha been in the thread with yuri char and i when we were discussing his wife but i see not

check out the emily please video an the wish i was an american video for fun...both ar in this thread

http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showthread...ghlight=doucet

thanks for the post, char!...ps) i am well east of you right now supporting a family sitch but will be in touch with rj and you when i can if there is a hookup possibility ...i see i have many posts to catch up on once i get to a high speed connection...ttys
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:50 PM   #5
charlene

http://www.sixshooterrecords.com/six_site/six_www.html

listen to a bit of SUNDOWN at link.
click on STORE, then where LUKE DOUCET's CD comes up click on DOWNLOAD MP3's

Sundown is listed...give a listen
Old 09-05-2010, 05:47 AM   #6
Jesse Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
oh, jjo, i thought you ha been in the thread with yuri char and i when we were discussing his wife but i see not

check out the emily please video an the wish i was an american video for fun...both ar in this thread

http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showthread...ghlight=doucet
Did check out those 2 videos jj... "WOW" that Luke Doucet is some good entertainer. I really enjoy those Songwriters Circle programs.

He makes that electric Grestch guitar sound awesome. Great player, great voice... they sound really 'super cool' together !
Old 09-05-2010, 05:59 AM   #7
Jesse Joe

Default Re: Luke Doucet-Sundown cover - LISTEN TO MP3

Ron Hynes was on CBC last night doing songs solo for a somewhat small studio audience. Wish they had more shows like this every week.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:56 AM   #8
charlene

The Man of A Thousand Songs (Ron Hynes) is a movie that will be seen this week at the TIFF (Toronto Int.National Film Festival). Ron is a long time good buddy of our Ron Jones.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:11 PM   #9
jj

cool, char, will try check it out

jjo, yeah, i miss that cbc circle that jimmy rankin used to host...great stuff

btw, i meant to link to this duet in the prior thread, kinda fun

it was luke and co who got me into the very cool 'stained glass window, church-like' catherine north studio in hamilton (i will post a thread re this)

you should also check out wife MacLelland's 'Passenger 24' (what images and she is kinda sultry in slo-mo...at first i thought it was sarah harmer) and the Keelor collaboration Skyway Bridge (i take it weekly) videos...i love them

check the same thread for youtube links....

btw, i was so so on the Sundown cover
Old 09-12-2010, 09:20 AM   #10
jj

a younger Luke...radio station gigs usually sounds great, as this does, imo
Old 09-17-2010, 11:12 AM   #11
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
btw, i was so so on the Sundown cover
i usually stick with my 1st impressions but on 2nd thought, this aint half bad...i'd like to hear the other half, it sure has some vigour so it

that's a interesting quote he's got about how we perceive 'big' songs in our mind, when many are in fact quite subtle recordings that our heads have somehow embellished

i envy that he has some much undiscovered GL to sift through...his parents need to be scolded, lol

he does look a bit like young gord, don't he...that chuck connors chiseled look
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	l.doucet_3.jpg
Views:	555
Size:	525.2 KB
ID:	3736  
Old 03-28-2013, 09:04 AM   #12
charlene

IYCRMM from the album The Road To Massey Hall. sweet.

and a lovely "It Ain't Me Babe"-Dylan cover.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:20 AM   #13
jj

the Dylan cover really worked for me...not so, with iycrmm...not an ideal key?

the raw videos (you can browse cbcradio3, Q, mitch fillion, etc) of this duo are wonderful...the fun they must have creating...this one is 4 minutes of giddy

i'm just back from the hammer (aka, Hamilton)