banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2007, 04:54 PM   #1
Kenmorr23

Hello to all. First of all, I have not been a Lightfoot concert since about 1984, although his music is pretty nearly constantly playing in the house, car, etc. Anyway, my wife and I would love to catch at least one more concert before our favorite performer finally hangs it up. I was thrilled to find a concert on the schedule in Ft. Worth, Texas toward the end of June. Ft. Worth is about a 5 hour drive from where we live, but is considerably closer than the other choices in recent years.

Unfortunately, I am finding that the available choices for tickets are not that great. The Bass Performance Hall site is showing that the closest seat available is about 25 rows back. Thus, I am posing this to the group. Is anyone aware of a source of tickets for this concert which might be more desirable?

Thanks in advance.

Tom
Kenmorr23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 04:54 PM   #2
Texas Tom

Hello to all. First of all, I have not been a Lightfoot concert since about 1984, although his music is pretty nearly constantly playing in the house, car, etc. Anyway, my wife and I would love to catch at least one more concert before our favorite performer finally hangs it up. I was thrilled to find a concert on the schedule in Ft. Worth, Texas toward the end of June. Ft. Worth is about a 5 hour drive from where we live, but is considerably closer than the other choices in recent years.

Unfortunately, I am finding that the available choices for tickets are not that great. The Bass Performance Hall site is showing that the closest seat available is about 25 rows back. Thus, I am posing this to the group. Is anyone aware of a source of tickets for this concert which might be more desirable?

Thanks in advance.

Tom
Texas Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 08:11 PM   #3
Borderstone

Welcome Texas Tom!
Always happy to see another Lightfoot fan making their presecnce known.

I would say,as a fan it's just great enough to be in the building but I know how you feel. I was told I had a 4th row ticket but found out after I arrived it was a 4th row "balcony" seat.

Asie from scalpers,I'd check every legit ticket seller in your area. There's bound to be some kind of closer seat available. Unless it's sold out.

Once again,welcome and good luck!
Old 03-01-2007, 05:10 AM   #4
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Tom,

Stub Hub 'where fans buy and sell tickets' has pretty high ratings from people in my neck of the woods. They have Lightfoot tickets for sale, check it out:

http://www.stubhub.com/gordon-lightfoot-tickets/

Good Luck,

Bill

I agree, for your first show in 23 years, pay the extra money and get some decent seats. The whole experience is better the less heads you have to look over, LOL. Have Fun !
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:11 AM   #5
Kenmorr23

Quote:
Originally posted by BILLW:
Tom,

Stub Hub 'where fans buy and sell tickets' has pretty high ratings from people in my neck of the woods. They have Lightfoot tickets for sale, check it out:

Good Luck,

Bill

I agree, for your first show in 23 years, pay the extra money and get some decent seats. The whole experience is better the less heads you have to look over, LOL. Have Fun !
Old 03-02-2007, 09:11 AM   #6
Texas Tom

Quote:
Originally posted by BILLW:
Tom,

Good Luck,

Bill

Old 03-02-2007, 09:27 AM   #7
Kenmorr23

Bill,

Thanks for the lead. Right now, this site is showing no tickets for sale for the Ft. Worth venue, but apparently will buy from existing ticket-holders.

It is sort of amazing to me that good seats would be this hard to come by in Texas. Although I know of a few fellow Texans in my age bracket who revere Lightfoot and his music, it is not all that common place. Perhaps my circle is too narrow? But this concert is almost 4 months out! I was initially concerned that it might not happen if sales were disappointing. Needless to say, that concern was severely misplaced, which is great news, unless you want good seats!

I will, however, keep checking in on the site for which you gave the heads up.

Thanks again.

Tom
Old 03-02-2007, 09:27 AM   #8
Texas Tom

Bill,

Thanks for the lead. Right now, this site is showing no tickets for sale for the Ft. Worth venue, but apparently will buy from existing ticket-holders.

It is sort of amazing to me that good seats would be this hard to come by in Texas. Although I know of a few fellow Texans in my age bracket who revere Lightfoot and his music, it is not all that common place. Perhaps my circle is too narrow? But this concert is almost 4 months out! I was initially concerned that it might not happen if sales were disappointing. Needless to say, that concern was severely misplaced, which is great news, unless you want good seats!

I will, however, keep checking in on the site for which you gave the heads up.

Thanks again.

Tom
Old 03-02-2007, 11:01 AM   #9
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

Your circle is too narrow, and the tickets have been on sale for awhile. Just think of all the folks who discovered the concert when it was first announced.

There are in fact dozens of ticket scalper sites; just use Google to find them. In fact, any search for Gordon Lightfoot tickets is bound to bring up other scalpers. It's a big business, sad to say.

In general, I am leary of them, but for the most part the sales do happen. Another place to check is Ebay, probably closer to the concert date. BUT, if you really want to go for sure, you might want to think about getting the tickets that are available now. You can probably resell them if you do get better seats later.
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 12:39 PM   #10
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Well Tom this just could be your lucky day because I spotted this earlier so try:-
http://cgi.ebay.com/Gordon-Lightfoot...em280089034858

If you go make sure you put a note here and on the Newsgroup at:-
http://www.newsgroup.shorturl.com
as there will be many other known fans from the area going including in particular a fine fellow Roger Guinn who moved to FW
from the spooky Roswell NM
and Massey Hall regular Donnie Budd seen here paying rapt attention to Ron (Gord Clone) Jones in 2005

[ March 02, 2007, 11:45: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 12:39 PM   #11
johnfowles

Well Tom this just could be your lucky day because I spotted this earlier so try:-
http://cgi.ebay.com/Gordon-Lightfoot...em280089034858

If you go make sure you put a note here and on the Newsgroup at:-
http://www.newsgroup.shorturl.com
as there will be many other known fans from the area going including in particular a fine fellow Roger Guinn who moved to FW
from the spooky Roswell NM
and Massey Hall regular Donnie Budd seen here paying rapt attention to Ron (Gord Clone) Jones in 2005

[ March 02, 2007, 11:45: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
Old 03-02-2007, 02:45 PM   #12
Kenmorr23

Thanks, John. The E-bay tickets are more what I had in mind. Now I have to sweat out 9 days of bidding, but it will indeed be worth it if someone doesn't outmanuever me. If only there was a "buy it now" option!

Tom
Old 03-02-2007, 02:45 PM   #13
Texas Tom

Thanks, John. The E-bay tickets are more what I had in mind. Now I have to sweat out 9 days of bidding, but it will indeed be worth it if someone doesn't outmanuever me. If only there was a "buy it now" option!

Tom
Old 03-02-2007, 04:09 PM   #14
Dream Street Rose

Good luck Texas Tom. I'm thinking they are yours. :D
Old 03-02-2007, 04:10 PM   #15
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by Texas Tom:
Thanks, John. The E-bay tickets are more what I had in mind.
Very pleased to have bben able to help Tom, but $70.00 per ticket is not bad and the orchestra seats are showing as $75.00
each anywayplus the row I seats are not much less and you would get free parking thrown in.
I see that you live in Hollyville and if that is 5 hours from Fort Worth surely the Glenn at Austin on the previous evening
is nearer***.
Local fan Melissa Joe. she of the beautiful voice (her Heaven Help The Devil at the November Massey jam session was exquisite
started a thread on the Newsgroupo at:-
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.m...f9f245c?hl=en&
and reported on a visit to, the venue:-
"The venue is beautiful! Lots of large oak trees in a very "hill country" setting
there would appear to be quite a few Lightheads heading there and it also that tickets are not yet on sale
If I were you I would contact Melissa who rarely posts here on corfid
go to her profile at:-
http://www.corfid.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ul...ile;u=00000490
I would also if I were in your shoes stay in or near Austin so that you could go to the Fort Worth concert also
Then you would really be making up for the lost time since 1984!!
I visited Lubbock in NMovember 1999 to view the Holly sites: his statue, the grave. His restored car ( later revealed as a fake), high school and sundry other local landmarks etc before going on to Clovis NM to see Norman Petty's studios.
Did you ever see him in action in Lubbock or are you not of an age??
***Yes According to my trusty Randy McNally it is only 239 miles from Lubbock to Austin then 223 up to Fw via Dallas then
344 back to Lubbock chicken feed compared to my flight to Toronto from the UK in 1999
Old 03-02-2007, 04:10 PM   #16
johnfowles

Quote:
Thanks, John. The E-bay tickets are more what I had in mind.
Very pleased to have bben able to help Tom, but $70.00 per ticket is not bad and the orchestra seats are showing as $75.00
each anywayplus the row I seats are not much less and you would get free parking thrown in.
I see that you live in Hollyville and if that is 5 hours from Fort Worth surely the Glenn at Austin on the previous evening
is nearer***.
Local fan Melissa Joe. she of the beautiful voice (her Heaven Help The Devil at the November Massey jam session was exquisite
started a thread on the Newsgroupo at:-
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.m...f9f245c?hl=en&
and reported on a visit to, the venue:-
"The venue is beautiful! Lots of large oak trees in a very "hill country" setting
there would appear to be quite a few Lightheads heading there and it also that tickets are not yet on sale
If I were you I would contact Melissa who rarely posts here on corfid
go to her profile at:-
http://www.corfid.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ul...ile;u=00000490
I would also if I were in your shoes stay in or near Austin so that you could go to the Fort Worth concert also
Then you would really be making up for the lost time since 1984!!
I visited Lubbock in NMovember 1999 to view the Holly sites: his statue, the grave. His restored car ( later revealed as a fake), high school and sundry other local landmarks etc before going on to Clovis NM to see Norman Petty's studios.
Did you ever see him in action in Lubbock or are you not of an age??
***Yes According to my trusty Randy McNally it is only 239 miles from Lubbock to Austin then 223 up to Fw via Dallas then
344 back to Lubbock chicken feed compared to my flight to Toronto from the UK in 1999
Old 03-02-2007, 04:33 PM   #17
Kenmorr23

John, I agree on the ticket price. IF they go for anywhere near that, it will be a steal. I am expecting to pay quite a bit more though, and within reason, will be glad to do so for these seats.

As far as Austin goes, I considered that, and it is still an option. But actually, Austin is about an hour and a half farther than Ft. Worth and we have quite a few alternatives for friends/relatives who could put us up in Ft. Worth, versus none in Austin. Still, that might be an advantage as there would be no distractions from the main event in Austin! And I can't think of a single person we know in Ft. Worth who would be excited about the concert. Again, I guess the circle is small (hey, that might make a catchy song title!).

Tom
Old 03-02-2007, 04:33 PM   #18
Texas Tom

John, I agree on the ticket price. IF they go for anywhere near that, it will be a steal. I am expecting to pay quite a bit more though, and within reason, will be glad to do so for these seats.

As far as Austin goes, I considered that, and it is still an option. But actually, Austin is about an hour and a half farther than Ft. Worth and we have quite a few alternatives for friends/relatives who could put us up in Ft. Worth, versus none in Austin. Still, that might be an advantage as there would be no distractions from the main event in Austin! And I can't think of a single person we know in Ft. Worth who would be excited about the concert. Again, I guess the circle is small (hey, that might make a catchy song title!).

Tom
Old 03-02-2007, 04:39 PM   #19
Kenmorr23

John, I got carried away and forgot to respond to the Buddy Holly inquiry. I will turn 55 this Spring. Thus, I did not catch any of his performances. The influence is still strong here, though, and we have some local performers who are quite talented.

By the way, McNally must know some short-cuts I don't. When I Google this, it pops up as almost 400 miles. Still doable though.

Tom
Old 03-02-2007, 04:39 PM   #20
Texas Tom

John, I got carried away and forgot to respond to the Buddy Holly inquiry. I will turn 55 this Spring. Thus, I did not catch any of his performances. The influence is still strong here, though, and we have some local performers who are quite talented.

By the way, McNally must know some short-cuts I don't. When I Google this, it pops up as almost 400 miles. Still doable though.

Tom
Old 03-02-2007, 05:28 PM   #21
Borderstone

Don't feel too bad Tom,I found out
about the show here in Phoenix nearly 5 months in advance and still only got a balcony seat!

That was only 1 week after tickets went on sale too.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:12 PM   #22
johnfowles

Quote:
Tom
Sorry Tom in my haste I omitted to include the 84 miles from Lubbock to Snyder thus the Lubbock to Austin leg on McNally should be 383 nearer to your 400.For anybody not intimtately familiar with the largest state's geography here is a scan of what I was looking at:-

I remember when in Montreal discovering that the province of Quebec is somewhat larger than Texas.
I also recall the apocryphal urban legend rife in Expo year 1967

that Texans were seen arriving at Dorval airport heavily swathed in full winter gear in July and finding it a touch embarassing to find that the temperature was the best part of 100°F, But it was reasoned that the only time such visitors would normally hear anything of the Great White North was in winter weather forecasts when they were constantly being told that there were "cold winds from Canada"
Another such popular tale concerned the first Quebecker that year to venture to Boston where he received a traffic ticket made out to "expo 67" since that was to the cop the registration number on the front of the car

Tom you also said
Quote:

As far as Austin goes, I considered that, and it is still an option. But actually, Austin is about an hour and a half farther than Ft. Worth and we have quite a few alternatives for friends/relatives who could put us up in Ft. Worth, versus none in Austin. Tom
That was realy why I suggested that you contact Melissa Joe she and her husband Denny are lovely people and exceedingly good Lightfoot fans and guitar players and would surely be organising some sort of pre concert get together as will no doubt the fans who make it to Fort Worth
Use corfid's message systemm to send her a private message including the URL of this topic and see what develops. I am certain that you will not regret it

[ March 02, 2007, 17:21: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
Old 03-02-2007, 06:12 PM   #23
johnfowles

Quote:
Tom
Sorry Tom in my haste I omitted to include the 84 miles from Lubbock to Snyder thus the Lubbock to Austin leg on McNally should be 383 nearer to your 400.For anybody not intimtately familiar with the largest state's geography here is a scan of what I was looking at:-

I remember when in Montreal discovering that the province of Quebec is somewhat larger than Texas.
I also recall the apocryphal urban legend rife in Expo year 1967

that Texans were seen arriving at Dorval airport heavily swathed in full winter gear in July and finding it a touch embarassing to find that the temperature was the best part of 100°F, But it was reasoned that the only time such visitors would normally hear anything of the Great White North was in winter weather forecasts when they were constantly being told that there were "cold winds from Canada"
Another such popular tale concerned the first Quebecker that year to venture to Boston where he received a traffic ticket made out to "expo 67" since that was to the cop the registration number on the front of the car

Tom you also said
Quote:

As far as Austin goes, I considered that, and it is still an option. But actually, Austin is about an hour and a half farther than Ft. Worth and we have quite a few alternatives for friends/relatives who could put us up in Ft. Worth, versus none in Austin. Tom
That was realy why I suggested that you contact Melissa Joe she and her husband Denny are lovely people and exceedingly good Lightfoot fans and guitar players and would surely be organising some sort of pre concert get together as will no doubt the fans who make it to Fort Worth
Use corfid's message systemm to send her a private message including the URL of this topic and see what develops. I am certain that you will not regret it

[ March 02, 2007, 17:21: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
Old 03-02-2007, 09:38 PM   #24
Kenmorr23

To John, Borderstone, Valerie, and Rose (hope that I did not miss anyone): If the concert is as fun as hearing from all of you, it should be a blast.

As to John's comment about the price, I just realized that my comment, "the E-bay ticket are more what I had in mind" was not written clearly. What I meant was that something close in is exactly what we want. We (wife and I) have never been closer than 50 yards? or so. The 1984 concert was really special, even so. Lightfoot had lost weight and the voice was perfect. I heard complaints from some in the audience that he did too much of Shadows and Salute, but it was perfect for us. Anyway, I know that the voice is not the same, but it would be a thrill to be close enough to have some interactation with a performer we have admired for more than 35 years. If nothing else, I would love to be able to express gratitude for the hundreds (maybe thousands?-need to do the math) of hours of intense listening pleasure that he has brought into our home.

As for the suggestion of catching concerts in both Ft. Worth and Austin, that would be a dream. Right now, we are really tied down, however. My father in law is in poor health (dementia) and my dear spouse finds it difficult to get away for even a day, let alone a long weekend. Ft. Worth will (or Austin) will be a real trick, but we are pretty determined to make it happen.

Hope to meet some of you. That would be perfect--a larger circle.

Tom
Old 03-02-2007, 09:38 PM   #25
Texas Tom

To John, Borderstone, Valerie, and Rose (hope that I did not miss anyone): If the concert is as fun as hearing from all of you, it should be a blast.

As to John's comment about the price, I just realized that my comment, "the E-bay ticket are more what I had in mind" was not written clearly. What I meant was that something close in is exactly what we want. We (wife and I) have never been closer than 50 yards? or so. The 1984 concert was really special, even so. Lightfoot had lost weight and the voice was perfect. I heard complaints from some in the audience that he did too much of Shadows and Salute, but it was perfect for us. Anyway, I know that the voice is not the same, but it would be a thrill to be close enough to have some interactation with a performer we have admired for more than 35 years. If nothing else, I would love to be able to express gratitude for the hundreds (maybe thousands?-need to do the math) of hours of intense listening pleasure that he has brought into our home.

As for the suggestion of catching concerts in both Ft. Worth and Austin, that would be a dream. Right now, we are really tied down, however. My father in law is in poor health (dementia) and my dear spouse finds it difficult to get away for even a day, let alone a long weekend. Ft. Worth will (or Austin) will be a real trick, but we are pretty determined to make it happen.

Hope to meet some of you. That would be perfect--a larger circle.

Tom