banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 10-15-2011, 05:32 PM   #1
charlene

Default HE"S IN!!! He's an INDUCTEE!! 2012 Songwriters Hall of Fame nominees - LIGHTFOOT!!

http://www.songhall.org/news/entry/1281
News
Friday, October 14, 2011
Songwriters Hall Of Fame 2012 Nominees For Induction Announced!

New York, NY – October 14, 2011 – Jimmy Webb, Chairman of the Songwriters Hall of Fame has announced the slate of 2012 nominees for induction. The organization, which is dedicated to recognizing the work and lives of those composers and lyricists who create popular music around the world, holds annual elections to determine those who will make up the roster of inductees for the following year. Eligible voting members will have until December 12th, 2011 to turn in ballots with their choices of two nominees from a non-performer and two from a performer category. For information with which to register or renew as a voting member before November 18th in order to participate in this election, please go to songhall.org.

The 2012 Annual Awards Gala will take place at the New York Marriott Marquis on Thursday, June 14th.

Bios and photos of the 2012 nominees can be found on the songhall.org website, and as a new special feature this year, Jango, the personalized internet radio site where listeners go to discover new music, has created has created a unique Songwriters Hall of Fame online Radio Station that will enable everyone to “Listen to the Music” of our nominees.
And the nominees are:
(*Note that the five songs listed after each nominee are merely a representative sample of their extensive catalogs)

Non-Performer Songwriters

Don Covay – * Sookie, Sookie * Mercy, Mercy * Tonight’s The Night * Chain Of Fools * Seesaw

Jerry Fuller –* Travelin’ Man * Young World * Young Girl * Lady Willpower * Show And Tell

Graham Gouldman – * Bus Stop * I’m Not In Love * For Your Love * The Things We Do For Love * No Milk Today

Tony Hatch - * Downtown * Don’t Sleep In The Subway * I Know A Place * My Love * Sign Of The Times

Sandy Linzer/Denny Randell - * A Lover’s Concerto * Workin’ My Way Back To You * Let ‘s Hang On To What We’ve Got * Native New Yorker * Opus 17 (Don’t Worry ‘bout Me)

Tony Macaulay – * Baby Now That I’ve Found You * Build Me Up Buttercup * Don’t Give Up On Us * Last Night I Couldn’t Get To Sleep At All * Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes)

Chips Moman – * Another Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song * At The Dark End Of The Street * Do Right Woman, Do Right Man * Lukenbach, Texas * Wurlitzer Prize

Artie Resnick/Kenny Young – * Under The Boardwalk * I’ve Got Sand In My Shoes * One Kiss For Old Time’s Sake * Good Lovin’ * Just A Little Bit Better

Don Schlitz – * The Gambler * Forever And Ever, Amen * When You Say Nothing At All * He Thinks He’ll keep Her * On The Other Hand

P.F. Sloan/Steve Barri -* Secret Agent Man * Eve Of Destruction * Where Were You When I Needed You * You Baby (Nobody but You) * Can I Get to Know You Better

Jim Steinman - * I’d Do Anything For Love But I Won’t Do That * Making Love Out Of Nothing At All * Paradise By The Dashboard Light * Total Eclipse Of The Heart * Two Out Of Three Ain’t Bad

Paul Vance/Lee Pockriss - * Catch A Falling Star * Dommage Dommage * Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini * Playground In My Mind * She Lets Her Hair Down (Early In The Morning)

Performer/Songwriters

Elvis Costello – * Accidents Will Happen * Alison * Veronica * Pump It Up * Watching The Detectives

Dion DiMucci – * Born To Cry * Donna The Prima Donna * King Of The New York Streets * Love Came To Me * Runaround Sue

Deborah Harry/Chris Stein (Blondie) – *Dreaming * Heart Of Glass * In The Flesh * Rapture * One Way Or Another

Yusuf Islam (formerly Cat Stevens) - * Moonshadow * Morning Has Broken * Peace Train * The First Cut Is The Deepest * Wild World

Annie Lennox/Dave Stewart – * Here Comes The Rain Again, * Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This) * Would I Lie To You * Missionary Man * Sisters Are Doin’ It For Themselves

Gordon Lightfoot – * Carefree Highway * Early Morning Rain * If You Could Read My Mind * Sundown
* Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald

George Michael – * Careless Whisper * Faith * Father Figure * I Want Your Sex * Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go

Steve Miller – * Abracadabra * Fly Like An Eagle * Living In The USA * Take The Money And Run * The Joker

Lou Reed - * Dirty Boulevard * Heroin * Rock & Roll * Sweet Jane * Walk On The Wild Side

Bob Seger - * Like A Rock * Night Moves * Rock & Roll Never Forgets * Still The Same * We’ve Got Tonight

Pete Townshend – * I Can See For Miles * Magic Bus * My Generation * See Me, Touch Me, Feel Me * Won’t Get Fooled Again

Tom Waits –* Ol’ 55 * Jersey Girl * (Looking For) The Heart Of Saturday Night * Innocent When You Dream * Downtown Train

About The Songwriters Hall of Fame:
The Songwriters Hall of Fame celebrates songwriters, educates the public with regard to their achievements, and produces a spectrum of professional programs devoted to the development of new songwriting talent through workshops, showcases and scholarships. There are fewer than 400 inductees who make up the impressive roster enshrined in the Hall of Fame. The list includes Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil, Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller, Eddie Holland, Lamont Dozier and Brian Holland, Albert Hammond, Desmond Child, Paul Williams, Hal David and Burt Bacharach, John Fogerty, Bob Dylan, Isaac Hayes and David Porter, Richard and Robert Sherman, Carole King, Paul Simon, Billy Joel, Sir Elton John, Bernie Taupin, Brian Wilson, James Taylor, James Brown, Bruce Springsteen, Curtis Mayfield, Jim Croce, Phil Collins, Alan and Marilyn Bergman, Loretta Lynn, Jimmy Webb, Van Morrison, Kris Kristofferson, Dolly Parton, Diane Warren, Garth Brooks, Allen Toussaint
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:28 PM   #2
redhead

Default Re: 2012 Songwriters Hall of Fame nominees - LIGHTFOOT!!

Awesome, Awesome, Awesome! Sure hope he makes it -- can't think of anyone who deserves this honor more.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:22 PM   #3
jj

Thx for this , char. This thread needs to get some play. This is really the pinnacle other than order of Canada. As for R&R hall of fame, secondary IMO. How much of that genre has he even written?

Some stiff competition, redhead, but you're right. Although he was quite the singer, consider him the perfect songwriter inductee (besides if Phil Collins and Susssidio are in there, Gord and Couchiching certainly belong, lol)

I like reading the nonperformer names and contributions. The hidden talent

I'm surprised that under Jim Steinam they don't include bat out of hell or you took the words right out of my mouth (it must have been while you were kissing me)

Great news.
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:09 PM   #4
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
can't think of anyone who deserves this honor more.
i don't know what the criteria is but as far as Canadians, i see Anka and Joni and Leonard...no Neil

http://songwritershalloffame.org/exhibits/era

i hear Swift got an award of some sort at last year's gala...is Beib on deck? lol

there's no actual museum... same with Canada's version... should be, imo
Old 11-01-2011, 12:13 PM   #5
charlene

love that lyric - always makes me chuckle.."you took the words right out of my mouth..musta been while you were kissing me".
he's a terrific writer-clever stuff in all of his tunes..
Old 11-01-2011, 01:03 PM   #6
jj

right on, that lyric and the hook jumped up off the LP (once i made it thru the first 50 seconds, lol) long before it hit the airwaves and over-saturated my ears... but ya, simple + clever = enduring

i certainly prefer the hook played on piano

Jim Steinman talks about 'You Took the Words...' - YouTube

can we get Gord to sit with piano and/or guitar and divulge in similar fashion? naw

ya ask him about songwriting and he gives ya the price of tea in the Yukon

Last edited by jj; 11-01-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:17 PM   #7
charlene

It's always remarkable to hear guys like this talk about how they hear things and turn them into music/lyrics..quite amazing to a person like me who can barely create a ryhming couplet..or carry a tune in a bucket..
Old 11-02-2011, 08:21 AM   #8
JohninCt.

Location: Wallingford, Ct. Not far from what used to be Oakdale Music Theater

I noticed on the explanation on top, that near the end is this part " (*Note that the five songs listed after each nominee are merely a representative sample of their extensive catalogs) " So this explains why just some songs are listed. I think in the Non Performers that the best odds are for Tony Hatch, Jim Steinman, or Pf Sloan & partner. In the Performers cat., Gordon, Cat Stevens, Pete Townshend. I hope some one remembers to post the winner here in June. I likely will forget all about it by then. I sure hope Gordon wins, we know he well deserves it.
JohninCt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:34 AM   #9
jj

interesting predictions, john

for a songwriters hall of fame i don't know why they even bother distinguishing before performer and non-performer categories

seems like a grey area also for some (eg. Steinman performed but as a sideman, but of course he didn't sing the vocals for the lyrics he wrote)

David Foster writes but also 'performs'...Carole King used to be non-performer

the Canuck version of the hall, inducts Songs also or instead of....so you could have a Song in there but not the writer

kind of like the Hockey Hall of Fame where Paul Henderson's 1972 goal against USSR in inducted but not he himself

and maybe Pete Rose's 4192 should be inducted to Cooperstown, and continue to keep him out... am i off topic yet? lol
Old 11-02-2011, 09:44 AM   #10
charlene

re:Henderson - the '72 goal should be in the hall..
as for PH himself - that's all he really did in his career to warrant 'him' being in the HHOF.
He was a good hockey player..not great IMHO.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:05 PM   #11
patybear

I certainly hope Gordy makes it.No one I can think of deserves more.
patybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:44 PM   #12
Wheels

Gord's gotta get in there! It would be criminal if not. There could be riots!?
Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:29 PM   #13
charlene

He's in! http://www.songhall.org/news/entry/1328 !!
June 14 ceremony in NY!

some info about current albums is wrong. I e-mailed them proper info re: info @
http://www.lightfoot.ca/alblist.htm
e-mail them too!
Old 02-21-2012, 06:14 PM   #14
KHester

Default Re: HE"S IN!!! He's an INDUCTEE!! 2012 Songwriters Hall of Fame nominees - LIGHTFOOT!

Congratulations to Gord...
He's always been in our Hall of Fame.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:00 PM   #15
charlene

Default Re: HE"S IN!!! He's an INDUCTEE!! 2012 Songwriters Hall of Fame nominees - LIGHTFOOT!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/story/20...lightfoot.html
Old 02-21-2012, 08:38 PM   #16
redhead

Yessss!!!!! Any idea if this will be televised?
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:57 PM   #17
DellroyGM

Aw, dang! No New record? 8D
(I know, I know, Gord has already covered this a while back...)

-DellroyGM
DellroyGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:09 PM   #18
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by DellroyGM View Post
Aw, dang! No New record? 8D
(I know, I know, Gord has already covered this a while back...)

-DellroyGM
http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=26089
Old 02-22-2012, 09:53 AM   #19
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

Will this be televised, Char?
Old 02-22-2012, 10:18 AM   #20
JohninCt.

Location: Wallingford, Ct. Not far from what used to be Oakdale Music Theater

About damn time!!! Sure hope he wins.
JohninCt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #21
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninCt. View Post
About damn time!!! Sure hope he wins.
wins what?

yes, they are wrong in saying he hasn't had an album since 1994 and wrong in saying it's a "new" 2012 album....but sure, it's a "new" release....and if Nightime is on there then that counts as new material

this seems like a good excuse to be on Letterman, finally...or host SNL...lol
Old 02-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #22
charlene

He has won. He is an inductee now. Not just nominated.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:45 AM   #23
charlene

send them an e-mail so they correct their info... I did!
lol
I doubt it will be televised...
Old 02-22-2012, 10:48 AM   #24
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
He has won. He is an inductee now. Not just nominated.
right, for a sec i thought the inductees were gonna arm wrestle or something
Old 02-22-2012, 12:13 PM   #25
formerlylavender

Wow, great news! Can't think of anyone more deserving.
formerlylavender is offline   Reply With Quote