banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-03-2007, 10:22 PM   #1
riytkale

Due to the length, I'd like to split this post up into three parts. Thanks for your indulgence.
---------------------------
"Lightfoot Eve" had passed, and this was THE day. Every day that I have seen a Gordon concert, I have always loved the anticipation that hangs in my thoughts the entire day, whether it is spent at work, or at play. In this case, it is spent driving It didn’t matter that my family and I had to drive nearly 5 hours to Kansas City for the concert….this was Gordon Lightfoot, after all. After a very adventurous drive, we finally got to Kansas City. Our route brought us right by the Uptown Theater as we made our way to the hotel. Just before reaching our downtown hotel, passed the Uptown Theater and saw the marquee sign: "Tonight - Gordon Lightfoot." That was just a little teaser to get the kids going. They both grew up listening, and later loving Gordon's music. My son Tim is now 14, has taken up the guitar and is learning to play via many of Gord's tunes. I did exactly the same thing 30 years earlier. To think that this gifted artist is still around providing inspiration to budding musicians is really amazing. Young Tim's enthusiasm was over-flowing when he saw the marquee sign. We arrived at our hotel, checked in and then drove back up the street to the theater. The Uptown is an older, downtown establishment with a well-organized parking team that got many hundreds of cars parked quickly, and right next to the theater. Did I say "hundreds of cars?" Yes, and the place was sold out. There were people on the sidewalks looking to buy tickets. I think every single seat was filled in the old theater. Inside, it was very ornate with early 20th century décor. But as I walked by one of the passage ways to the main floor, I saw that familiar sight that warms the heart of every Lighthead. The stage set-up: In the soft pre-show lighting, you could make out Mike's keyboard on the left, then Rick's simple microphone and tall stool, then Barry's drums with all it's attachments (cymbals, sleigh bells, and other percussion instruments that I am too ignorant to name) and then Terry's chair on the right, from where he will accompany his life-long friend with incredibly beautiful guitar leads. Of course, front and center was the dual microphone set up for Gord's guitar and vocals.

Our seats were up in the balcony. However, Tim and I had written notes to Gordon and we wanted to place them on the stage before the show. Mine simply said that one of my father's favorite songs was always "Hangdog Hotel Room." My dad passed away about a year ago, and I asked if he could play "Hangdog." Young Tim included a picture of himself and his acoustic guitar, and wrote that he was learning to play by practicing a lot of his songs, and asked for "Summertime Dream" or "Carefree Highway." I walked up to the stage, placed the notes at the base of the microphone stand, and then turned and left, very satisfied that those notes would be there when The Man came out in about 15 minutes. Then we made our way to the balcony and our seats. Just as we were sitting down (about 10 minutes prior to show-time), I noticed someone walk on the stage, pick up our notes, and walk off stage. At first Iwas very disappointed, wondering why they would do that. Then it occurred to me, maybe Gord would still see the notes. Maybe they didn't want him to have to keep looking down, and bending down to pick up notes. Maybe.

Five minutes prior to the show time the familiar guitars are brought out and placed in the usual places, all tuned up and ready to make their beautiful sounds. Then a local DJ came out and stated that Gord would be coming out shortly. He simply asked: "Are you ready for a legend?" That got the crowd fired up and roaring. “How many ‘Ring Necked Loon Fans do we have here?” A few of us in the crowd yelled (I was among them). The DJ walks off, and about 2 minutes later (the longest 2 minutes of the evening) the theater lights go down .... Applause. The guys come out and take their places, more applause, then thunderous cheering as The Man, looking very fit and wearing a white long sleeve dress shirt with a black vest emerges, steps to the spotlight, nods to the now-roaring crowd and in that familiar Canadian baritone simply says "Okay, we'll get the energy going."
Gord picks up his Gibson 12 string, the band gets ready, and what was
to be an unforgettable show, begins.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:22 PM   #2
Tim

Due to the length, I'd like to split this post up into three parts. Thanks for your indulgence.
---------------------------
"Lightfoot Eve" had passed, and this was THE day. Every day that I have seen a Gordon concert, I have always loved the anticipation that hangs in my thoughts the entire day, whether it is spent at work, or at play. In this case, it is spent driving It didn’t matter that my family and I had to drive nearly 5 hours to Kansas City for the concert….this was Gordon Lightfoot, after all. After a very adventurous drive, we finally got to Kansas City. Our route brought us right by the Uptown Theater as we made our way to the hotel. Just before reaching our downtown hotel, passed the Uptown Theater and saw the marquee sign: "Tonight - Gordon Lightfoot." That was just a little teaser to get the kids going. They both grew up listening, and later loving Gordon's music. My son Tim is now 14, has taken up the guitar and is learning to play via many of Gord's tunes. I did exactly the same thing 30 years earlier. To think that this gifted artist is still around providing inspiration to budding musicians is really amazing. Young Tim's enthusiasm was over-flowing when he saw the marquee sign. We arrived at our hotel, checked in and then drove back up the street to the theater. The Uptown is an older, downtown establishment with a well-organized parking team that got many hundreds of cars parked quickly, and right next to the theater. Did I say "hundreds of cars?" Yes, and the place was sold out. There were people on the sidewalks looking to buy tickets. I think every single seat was filled in the old theater. Inside, it was very ornate with early 20th century décor. But as I walked by one of the passage ways to the main floor, I saw that familiar sight that warms the heart of every Lighthead. The stage set-up: In the soft pre-show lighting, you could make out Mike's keyboard on the left, then Rick's simple microphone and tall stool, then Barry's drums with all it's attachments (cymbals, sleigh bells, and other percussion instruments that I am too ignorant to name) and then Terry's chair on the right, from where he will accompany his life-long friend with incredibly beautiful guitar leads. Of course, front and center was the dual microphone set up for Gord's guitar and vocals.

Our seats were up in the balcony. However, Tim and I had written notes to Gordon and we wanted to place them on the stage before the show. Mine simply said that one of my father's favorite songs was always "Hangdog Hotel Room." My dad passed away about a year ago, and I asked if he could play "Hangdog." Young Tim included a picture of himself and his acoustic guitar, and wrote that he was learning to play by practicing a lot of his songs, and asked for "Summertime Dream" or "Carefree Highway." I walked up to the stage, placed the notes at the base of the microphone stand, and then turned and left, very satisfied that those notes would be there when The Man came out in about 15 minutes. Then we made our way to the balcony and our seats. Just as we were sitting down (about 10 minutes prior to show-time), I noticed someone walk on the stage, pick up our notes, and walk off stage. At first Iwas very disappointed, wondering why they would do that. Then it occurred to me, maybe Gord would still see the notes. Maybe they didn't want him to have to keep looking down, and bending down to pick up notes. Maybe.

Five minutes prior to the show time the familiar guitars are brought out and placed in the usual places, all tuned up and ready to make their beautiful sounds. Then a local DJ came out and stated that Gord would be coming out shortly. He simply asked: "Are you ready for a legend?" That got the crowd fired up and roaring. “How many ‘Ring Necked Loon Fans do we have here?” A few of us in the crowd yelled (I was among them). The DJ walks off, and about 2 minutes later (the longest 2 minutes of the evening) the theater lights go down .... Applause. The guys come out and take their places, more applause, then thunderous cheering as The Man, looking very fit and wearing a white long sleeve dress shirt with a black vest emerges, steps to the spotlight, nods to the now-roaring crowd and in that familiar Canadian baritone simply says "Okay, we'll get the energy going."
Gord picks up his Gibson 12 string, the band gets ready, and what was
to be an unforgettable show, begins.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:11 AM   #3
Shane

Very nice description Tim. I can feel the excitement!
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 12:11 AM   #4
Scott Mac

Very nice description Tim. I can feel the excitement!
Scott Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 12:27 AM   #5
RM

Thanks for sharing this Tim. I've read it on the Newsgroup, and your description of the "Lightfoot experience" seems to mirror mine.

[ July 04, 2007, 00:41: Message edited by: RM ]
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 07:45 AM   #6
SilverHeels

Tim - I read it at the NG and you made me feel like I was right there. Thanks!
Old 07-04-2007, 07:49 AM   #7
Jennifer

Tim, you describe the experience very eloquently. Can't wait to read II and III!
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 09:42 AM   #8
charlene

oh heck Tim - just post it all!
lol
I've been known to post a long missive or two in the past..
lol
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 09:42 AM   #9
charlene

oh heck Tim - just post it all!
lol
I've been known to post a long missive or two in the past..
lol
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 12:11 PM   #10
brink-

I read it on the newsgroup, but like every great Gord concert I am ready for it again.....where are parts two and three????? Thanks for posting it here also!
I love that your kids are fans, mine are not so much. They recognize all the songs, but they said I burned them out by not playing anything else. I still think secretly they like him but don't want to give me the satisfaction. My grandson recognizes Gord, Buffett and Marley at age 5 - there is still hope!
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 02:31 PM   #11
riytkale

Quote:
Originally posted by brink-:
I My grandson recognizes Gord, Buffett and Marley at age 5 - there is still hope!
You gotta think that these guys like Buffett and Lightfoot are gratified to see young fans. It does give them hope. I do feel a bit sad that my son (who has become a genuine Lightfoot fan) won't have Gordon performing for as long as I've enjoyed him during my lifetime. But, I know he is thankful for the time that he has, and Gordon is appreciative that he is reaching young people.

Tim
Old 07-04-2007, 02:31 PM   #12
Tim

Quote:
Originally posted by brink-:
I My grandson recognizes Gord, Buffett and Marley at age 5 - there is still hope!
You gotta think that these guys like Buffett and Lightfoot are gratified to see young fans. It does give them hope. I do feel a bit sad that my son (who has become a genuine Lightfoot fan) won't have Gordon performing for as long as I've enjoyed him during my lifetime. But, I know he is thankful for the time that he has, and Gordon is appreciative that he is reaching young people.

Tim