banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 06-05-2003, 12:03 PM   #1
waltsongs

Hello, fellow GL fans, I have been working on a Lightfoot tribute song for a few days now, and I am stuck. This is one of the "just for fun projects" I'd like to finish this summer. The finished song will be limited use public domain, meaning anyone can use the song as long as credit is given to the writers. No licensing will be required, and no money will ever change hands regarding this song. I will make no money on this project. I am doing it to show my appreciation for Mr. Lightfoot for the inspiring songs he has given me through the years. I call the song " When Lightfoot Sings (tentative title)", and you can see my lyrical start at:
http://www.safossils.com/waltsongs/w...footsings.html

If you have any ideas for a line or verse, reply to this thread, or email me at waltsongs@yahoo.com. If I use your idea/line/verse, you will be listed in the credits.
Once I feel the lyric is complete, I will attempt to compose a "Lightfoot" style song. If you are in the US or Canada, I will mail the contributors a CD of the song as well.

Thanks for your time
Walt

[This message has been edited by waltsongs (edited June 05, 2003).]

Last edited by waltsongs; 02-21-2011 at 10:09 PM.
waltsongs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 04:15 PM   #2
Borderstone

Deep as the Canada woodlands and stong as the mountainsides. / Easy as the westwind and rollin' on like the tides. / A voice that speaks to earth and sky but most of all,to you and I. / There is no doubt he'll make you glad and just the same he can make you sad and want to be in love and thank the man above! Chourus:Lightfoot's singin',without a doubt,'cause everyone wants to clap and shout and sing along with him. Gordon's playing with all his soul,from the folk guitar to the rock and roll,look out now,the band is ramblin'...when Gord sings he welcomes you in! //////// Okay,that's verse 1,2 and the chourus Waltsongs,I think I did a pretty good job for just right off the top of my head. And at the library too! I can't wait to see how this ends! I'd finish it but my time is limited. It's been the B! Catch ya on the flipside of Sundown!

------------------
Borderstone (Also known as,"The B!")
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 04:58 PM   #3
waltsongs

Borderstone,
That's chalk full of great stuff, I'll be using some of the lines for sure. Should I list your name in the Credits as Borderstone?

Thanks...
Walt
Old 06-05-2003, 05:20 PM   #4
Borderstone

Hey,Walt! Borderstone here! I got lucky and the 15 min. computer was available! Yes,either Borderstone or Walter LaMont (that's my middle name ) What a wild coincidence that we're on the same day and time (different time zones of course.)!!! Weird,huh? I'm sure I mentioned somewhere amongst the threads that I write in my spare time. As far as what I wrote here,in my head I imagined how GL would sound if he had the ego to sing it himself and it worked! Since someone's waiting to use this,I'll be signing off 'til next time! It's been the B! Catch ya on the flipside of Sundown!

------------------
Old 06-05-2003, 05:36 PM   #5
waltsongs

I've already incorporated a couple of lines, it's coming right along. Your just up the street from me, I'm not sure why the times change. One of those international Internet things I guess. Anyway, thanks for the help so far.

Walt
Old 06-05-2003, 10:21 PM   #6
gwen snyder

Waltsongs,
I had no idea you were form Tucson. Man we were stationed there in 1979 and 1980. Cool place. I love the desert, my husband hates the desert. Is the "Old Spanish Trail" dive out there on the east side still? Is Pinnacle Pete's still great? Is Diamonds' still in existence? Have you lived there long? Wow. I loved that place. Do you live in the city? Has Gord ever playred there?
GSS
P.S. I saw so many celebraties just driving down the street there.

[This message has been edited by gwen snyder (edited June 05, 2003).]
gwen snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 12:07 PM   #7
waltsongs

I've been in Tucson for about 20 years now. I was born/raised in Holbrook, a small town in Northern Arizona. I enjoy the desert a lot, and the mountains are a short drive away. You can go from the Sonoran climate zone to the Canadian zone in an hours drive. The winters are mild, but crowded, the summers are hot, but everyone leaves. It's a great place. Diamonds is no longer here. The other places you listed are still there, but the names have changed. I'm not sure if Gord ever played here, I know he has not since I've been here. I tried to catch him up in Sedona, but could not make it.

Thanks for the reply
Walt

[This message has been edited by waltsongs (edited June 06, 2003).]
Old 06-09-2003, 08:10 AM   #8
Oma

waltsongs,

I viewed the beginning of your song...I like it, it is right on the money!

Unfortunately I have nothing to add in the way of lyrics...sorry! I'm not very poetic.

Keep up the good work and best wishes with your project.
Oma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 11:15 AM   #9
waltsongs

Oma,

As Gord himself would say, "Many thanks to ya"..

Walt
Old 06-10-2003, 08:32 PM   #10
Borderstone

Hi ya Walt! I was finally able to access the area where your song is. I like what I've read so far and while reading it,in my head,it sounded like,"Waiting For You" just a bit. ...but that's just me. If I think of some more lyrics I'll get them to you "post" haste! Oh! Bad joke! : catch ya on the flipside of Sundown!

------------------
Old 06-12-2003, 11:07 AM   #11
waltsongs

Borderstone
I truly appreciate the help. I was stuck for quite a while before you got me going again. It's coming right along now. I just need to write an opening verse that really grabs the listener. That will be tough. The lyric will take another week or two to finish off, and the music will be another couple weeks, but it's coming along well. Again, thanks for the help.

Walt
Old 07-11-2003, 04:59 PM   #12
Borderstone

Hi Walt! We haven't heard much in recent weeks about how the song is coming along. What's the latest? Finished? Writers block? Recording contract? Let me (or us) know! Catch ya later!

------------------
Old 07-14-2003, 03:00 PM   #13
waltsongs

Borderstone,

I'm Still working on that darn first verse. I just haven't figured out a good way to open the song. I'm still on it though. I have an arrangement on my 12-string worked out, and I should start laying down some tracks this weekend. Still aways off from finishing though. I'll definately let you know when I finish, and I'll need to get your address somehow so I can send you a copy.

Thanks for the reply.
Walt

[This message has been edited by waltsongs (edited July 15, 2003).]
Old 07-14-2003, 05:53 PM   #14
Borderstone

Hi,Walt! I checked out your site again and I have to say,cool picture of ya fishing! I lokked further than I did last time I was there and you have a lot of songs! I do too,in fact,I have over 100 written. No music but plenty of words. If you need a lyrical opening how about the one from my posting on June 5th. To use an old time phrasing,I think it's a dandy start! Just a thought. Talk at ya later!

------------------
Borderstone (An,"Avid Listner" of G.L.)
Old 07-14-2003, 11:29 PM   #15
brink

Walt, Just checked out your song, very good!! I will look forward to hearing it. Right now I really like Gord's Now and Then so that is the only melody that I had in my head as I was reading it. I am not a musician but it worked for me. Keep up the good work, I hope that one day Gord will hear it.
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 05:19 PM   #16
Borderstone

Actually,Brink...When I gave Walt my lyrics,I had "Mountains and Mary Ann" (or Marian) in my head. I didn't realize it until after I posted it though.

------------------
Old 07-21-2003, 08:37 AM   #17
waltsongs

quote:I hope that one day Gord will hear it.

Ya, that would be great. I only hope I do him justice. I laid down the Guitar and Bass tracks over the weekend, and I'm working on the percussion tracks now. Should have something posted soon. I'm still working on the first verse, but it's coming along.

Walt
Old 07-21-2003, 08:56 AM   #18
Oma

Do you do all of the instruments yourself?
Old 07-21-2003, 09:42 AM   #19
waltsongs

Oma,

Yes, I do everything. That's one reason it takes so long for me to complete a project. I do not use any canned music such as Fruity Loops or Acid tracks. Everything I write is my own original work. Of course so much music has been written that it is hard to write anything truly original. I'm sure someone will point out something that sounds close. I do not have room for a drum set, so I use electronic drums. The Bass is done with a keyboard. Those two instruments are the hardest to record using real instruments so I use electronic versions. I do not have professional equipment, but I try to get things as quiet and nice as I can with what I have.

Thanks for the reply

Walt
Old 07-21-2003, 10:27 AM   #20
Oma

Even though you don't have professional recording equipment, I think the quality of your recorded music is very good! Keep up the good work and post that GL tribute song as soon as it's finished! I'm anxious to hear it!
Old 07-27-2003, 06:35 PM   #21
waltsongs

Well, I'm a long way from finished, but I have a file of the song posted now. You can listen at: http://www.ampcast.com/waltsongs

I still have some work to do on the lyrics and the music.

Walt

Last edited by waltsongs; 02-21-2011 at 10:10 PM.
Old 07-29-2003, 08:27 AM   #22
Oma

What a nice tribute to Gord! Keep up the good work!
Old 07-29-2003, 06:17 PM   #23
Borderstone

#1 on the charts this week! "When Lightfoot Sings" (A Tribute To Gordon Lightfoot)! 100% Awesome! O.K.....Where's my royalty check? Fantasic job Walt! Could I be you songwriting partner?

------------------
Old 08-01-2003, 10:58 AM   #24
waltsongs

Borderstone, I wish I had a check to cut for ya. Truth is, I've never made a cent from my music, and probably never will. That's never stopped me in the past though. I'll be crankin' 'em out as long as I'm able. I did give you a mention in my News letter, which you can always read at: http://waltsongs.tripod.com/news.html

I still need to get your address so I can send you a copy. Anyone else in the US or Canada who wants a copy, just send your mailing address to:
waltsongs@lycos.com
Thanks
Walt