banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 09-27-2008, 10:14 AM   #1
charlene

Default Paul Newman

Paul Newman has died. What a wonderful actor, philanthropist, and genuinely lovely man.
He will be missed for so many reasons..

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...C%7D&dist=hppr

Newman's Own Foundation Celebrates the Life and Legacy of Paul Newman
(January 26, 1925 - September 26, 2008)

Last update: 9:14 a.m. EDT Sept. 27, 2008
WESTPORT, Conn., Sept 27, 2008 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ --
Remembering the life and legacy of Paul Newman, Newman's Own Foundation has issued a statement.

The statement, from Vice-Chairman Robert Forrester, follows:

"Paul Newman's craft was acting. His passion was racing. His love was his family and friends. And his heart and soul were dedicated to helping make the world a better place for all.
"Paul had an abiding belief in the role that luck plays in one's life, and its randomness. He was quick to acknowledge the good fortune he had in his own life, beginning with being born in America, and was acutely aware of how unlucky so many others were. True to his character, he quietly devoted himself to helping offset this imbalance.
"An exceptional example is the legacy of Newman's Own. What started as something of a joke in the basement of his home, turned into a highly-respected, multi-million dollar a year food company. And true to form, he shared this good fortune by donating all the profits and royalties he earned to thousands of charities around the world, a total which now exceeds $250 million.
"While his philanthropic interests and donations were wide-ranging, he was especially committed to the thousands of children with life-threatening conditions served by the Hole in the Wall Camps, which he helped start over 20 years ago. He saw the Camps as places where kids could escape the fear, pain and isolation of their conditions, kick back, and raise a little hell. Today, there are 11 Camps around the world, with additional programs in Africa and Vietnam. Through the Camps, well over 135,000 children have had the chance to experience what childhood was meant to be.
"In Paul's words: "I wanted to acknowledge luck; the chance and benevolence of it in my life, and the brutality of it in the lives of others, who might not be allowed the good fortune of a lifetime to correct it."
"Paul took advantage of what life offered him, and while personally reluctant to acknowledge that he was doing anything special, he forever changed the lives of many with his generosity, humor, and humanness. His legacy lives on in the charities he supported and the Hole in the Wall Camps, for which he cared so much.
"We will miss our friend Paul Newman, but are lucky ourselves to have known such a remarkable person."
If you would like to support the Hole in the Wall Camps, please visit
www.HoleInTheWallCamps.org.

About Newman's Own Foundation
Paul Newman believed in sharing his good fortune. He created Newman's Own Foundation, a private independent foundation, to carry on his commitment of donating to charity all profits and royalties he earns from the sale of Newman's Own products.
Paul Newman and the Newman's Own Foundation have donated more than $250 million to thousands of charities worldwide. For more information, please visit www.NewmansOwnFoundation.com.
SOURCE Newman's Own Foundation
http://www.NewmansOwnFoundation.com

http://images.google.ca/images?hl=en...l+newman&gbv=2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	paul newman.jpg
Views:	554
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	2140  
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 12:31 PM   #2
RM

Default Re: Paul Newman

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
"Paul had an abiding belief in the role that luck plays in one's life, and its randomness.
Amen.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 12:51 PM   #3
charlene

He was such a humble man..he lucked into a major role that James Dean was supposed to have..he had a 50 year marriage, he was a devoted father..his handsomness was legendary but he was not consumed by the opinion of others and perhaps it drove him to hone his craft even more - to detract from that face and those eyes..he did it well..so well..
the NEWMAN'S OWN website is very busy but keep trying:
http://63.131.143.186/
Old 09-27-2008, 01:40 PM   #4
Jesse Joe

Terrific actor he was for sure.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 02:21 PM   #5
christine75

One of the best actors to ever come out of hollywood. He will greatly be missed.
christine75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 07:50 AM   #6
teherie

Paul Newman was the real deal for sure. How many celebrities would use their "star power" to raise awareness and money to help others in the way he did? From what I could see, he never sold out. Glad I lived for the advent of the DVD because now Paul Newman lives on forever.

He and my dad were born 5 days apart back in March 1925 about three hours from each other, both were married for over 50 years to one woman, both served in the Navy in the South Pacific and both passed away to cancer at home with their family.
teherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:44 AM   #7
charlene

Yes he was the real deal. Hated the celebrity aspect of his vocation. always wanting to be known as a 'working actor'..
He had it all - talent, looks, opportunity, yet he said he believed it was all luck..and he felt it necessary to share it with those who were not so lucky. He had it all..and most of all he had humility..something so many who are blessed with 'luck' these days don't have..they talk the talk but don't walk the walk..Newman did and so many are better for it.
One little guy who attended one of the first "Hole in the Wall' camps for sick kids told his dad when they left that he was so glad he had cancer cuz it meant he could come back every year..
omigoodness..what an impact Newman made in all aspects of his life..

memories from a counselor at the camp:
http://www.slate.com/id/2201116/?GT1=38002
Old 09-28-2008, 03:25 PM   #8
Borderstone

My favorite movies of Mr. Paul Newman :

Butch & Sundance
Cool Hand Luke
HUD
The Sting
Cat On A Hot Tin Roof
Abscence Of Malice
Slap Shot
The Verdict
The Color Of Money
The Hustler
Blaze
and in his final on screen role : The Road to Perdition

Rest in Peace Mr. Newman and we all thank you.

Last edited by Borderstone; 09-28-2008 at 03:28 PM.
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:36 PM   #9
Jesse Joe

Slap Shot, & The Sting would be my 2 favorites.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:02 PM   #10
Dream Street Rose

Gone but never forgotten.

DSR
Old 09-28-2008, 04:28 PM   #11
closetcanadian

I liked what George Clooney said about Paul Newman: "He set the bar too high for the rest of us - not only as an actor, but as a human being." A very fitting tribute to a great actor and even greater humanitarian.
closetcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 07:16 AM   #12
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Joe View Post
Slap Shot, & The Sting would be my 2 favorites.
was sorry to hear the news

i'm guessing you haven't seen cool hand luke, jjo? newman and kennedy at their finest, imo ...i was cooincidentally watching and enjoying the sting (for the 10+th time) late saturday eve totally unaware he had passed on

"a great actor and even greater humanitarian", couldnt have said it better
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:28 PM   #13
timetraveler

One thing that I admired so much about the man was that, as far as anyone knew, he never had a whiff of scandal about him. That, and those beautiful laughing blue eyes of his.
timetraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:57 AM   #14
Jesse Joe

Paul Newman honoured

Published Wednesday October 8th, 2008

SYRACUSE, N.Y. - The No. 7 that Paul Newman wore as Reg Dunlop in the cult hockey comedy "Slap Shot" is going to the rafters of the Syracuse War Memorial, where where parts of the legendary movie were filmed in 1977.

The Syracuse Crunch announced yesterday that the team will pay tribute to the late actor by raising a banner before Saturday's American Hockey League game against the Rochester Americans.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:39 AM   #15
podunklander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
was sorry to hear the news

i'm guessing you haven't seen cool hand luke, jjo? newman and kennedy at their finest, imo ...i was cooincidentally watching and enjoying the sting (for the 10+th time) late saturday eve totally unaware he had passed on

"a great actor and even greater humanitarian", couldnt have said it better
This is so true!!! I live a town over from the Hole in the Wall Gang Camp and have always admired his outstanding charitable work and all the so many lives he's touched. The organization he 1st founded in 1980...and for which I 1st became familiar with his charitable work has gotten little, if any mention:

http://www.scottnewmancenter.org/
Old 10-29-2008, 07:47 AM   #16
Jesse Joe

Paul Newman's camp receives lots of support

Published Wednesday October 29th, 2008

A Hollywood who's-who turned out for an annual fundraiser for Paul Newman's children's camp that doubled as a tribute to the late actor.

Paul Newman

The lineup for a dramatic reading of The World of Nick Adams on Monday night at San Francisco's Davies Symphony Hall already was set when the acting legend died of cancer Sept. 26 at the age of 83. The event benefited The Painted Turtle, a camp for children with life-threatening illnesses, that was started by Newman in 1999.
"We expected Paul to be with us and so this kind of turned into kind of a tribute," said Danny Glover, who joined Jack Nicholson, Julia Roberts, Tom Hanks, Warren Beatty, Sean Penn and other big names in the reading. "This is the first time we are doing this without Paul -- there is a void there, without a doubt."