banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk

Old 05-02-2007, 06:30 PM   #1
Borderstone

From IMDB,I just read that Mr. Poston passed away last night. Tom Poston,as most avid TV viewers know,played handyman George Utley on "Newhart" from 1982 to 1990.
My favorite line from that character is when he's pouring coffee for an attractive woman he likes and he,shaking like a leaf,says,"Would you like a coff o'cuppee?!"

He was also Dr. Bob Hartley's best friend from college,"The Peeper",on the original "Bob Newhart Show". It was on "The Bob Newhart Show",where he met his future wife Suzanne Pleshette.

Most recently he was seen as Eric Forman's grandfather on "That 70's Show" and in other guest spots & small character roles in several sitcoms. It seemed he was always working and always there.

His career spanned over 50 years in television and a number of movies. Numbering in the hundreds combined on IMDb. He always added just the right kind of simple yet noticeable comedic touch.

He was even a part time panelist on To Tell The Truth. He admitted in a talk show interview a few years back,that "very" early in his career,he had done work in "mature" films. Which cetainly surprised but still got a great laugh from the audience.

So,here's to the most well known and respected comedic chracter actor,possibly of all time. Thank you for your good natured,well meaning & sometimes befuddled characters.

RIP Tom Poston.

[ May 03, 2007, 18:15: Message edited by: Borderstone ]
Old 05-03-2007, 06:08 AM   #2
Auburn Annie

Excerpt from wikipedia:

"In the 1950s, Poston gained recognition as a comedic "Man in the Street" (along with his colleagues Louie Nye and Don Knotts) on the Steve Allen Show. For these performances, Poston won the 1959 Emmy award for Best Supporting Actor (Continuing Character) in a Comedy Series. Following that, Poston appeared frequently on Broadway and as a game show panelist, including regular appearances on To Tell the Truth and What's My Line?..."

Oh ye gads, I'm old enough to remember those skits, and the game shows.

BTW he married Suzanne Pleshette (Emily Hartley from Newhart) in 2001.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 08:06 AM   #3
charlene

He was on Mork and Mindy as well..

and a few years ago I think he played a small part in a sitcom as a retired clown who was living in the hall closet of his niece. For the life of me I can't recall the name of the show...it was a single girl witha boyfriend who owned a small record shop..
The 'niece' has her own show now as a lawyer or investigator I think..
or I could have just dreamt it all..

ok-Lisa has figured it out.. the show was "Committed" - Nate Solomon, Jennifer Finigan. She is in a show called Close To Home now.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
This article is about the 2005 NBC TV series.

Genre Sitcom
Created by Eileen Heisler, DeAnn Heline
Starring Josh Cooke, Jennifer Finnigan, Darius McCrary, Tammy Lynn Michaels, Tom Poston
Country of origin USA
No. of episodes 13
Production
Running time 0:30 (per episode)
Broadcast
Original channel NBC
Original run January 4, 2005 – March 15, 2005
Committed was a television sitcom that aired on NBC as a midseason replacement from January 4 to March 15, 2005. The show was cancelled after the initial thirteen episodes were aired. Although originally broadcast twice a week (on Tuesdays and Thursdays) the series eventually settled in its regular timeslot on Tuesdays at 9:30PM EST. When it aired in New Zealand, it proved to be a winner for its timeslot, beating America's Next Top Model and Project Runway (later competition). It aired on Fridays at 8:00PM.

Committed is from creators/executive producers Eileen Heisler and DeAnn Heline (Roseanne, Murphy Brown, and Ellen), casting an off-kilter eye on the bizarre whirlwind courtship of two opposites who attract each other despite outrageous circumstances.

Brilliant yet neurotic Nate is a tightly wound ball of phobias until he accidentally unravels when he meets eccentric yet eternally upbeat Marni. As fearful Nate and fearless Marni awkwardly begin their mating dance -- amid the eclectic craziness of New York -- their relationship’s yin and yang somehow match despite a closet-full of obstacles.

In fact, free spirit Marni has a “dying clown” quietly living in her apartment’s closet. Bowie, Nate’s friend and co-worker in a vintage record store, offers forceful advice while Marni contends with her sardonic friend Tess, the reluctant and semi-irresponsible nanny across the hall who might be even closer to the edge than she is.

Marni and Nate must deal with each other's maddening problems to survive as a couple in the odd world of New York.

[edit] Main characters
Nate Solomon – Josh Cooke
Marni Fliss – Jennifer Finnigan
Bowie James – Darius McCrary
Tess – Tammy Lynn Michaels
Clown – Tom Poston

It seemed so right that he married Pleshette...

Hey Annie - remember Peggy Cass? lol

[ May 03, 2007, 08:49: Message edited by: charlene ]
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 09:00 AM   #4
Auburn Annie

I sure do. Funny thing is I remember her more from game shows - mostly To Tell The truth - but she was in Mame (both Broadway and movie) as Agnes Gooch; won a Tony and was nominated for an Oscar as Best Supporting Actress. She had one of those voices that stands out. Did you know she was a guest host on The Tonight Show when Jack Parr starred?

I think of her as one of those great supporting actresses like Vivian Vance - a terrific second banana.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:14 PM   #5
Borderstone

Thanks for reminding me about Mork & Mindy,I went straight from IMDb to here when I read the news.

I also note that he made guest appearences in Bob Newhart's last two sitcom attempts,"Bob" and "George and Leo".
Y'know it just occoured to me that "Newhart" will be marking it's 25th anniversay this September and this month marks 17 years since that hilarious finale! LOL!

I think Tom reached his ultimate career peak with "George Utley" the handyman of the Stratford Inn.
His entire career list equals 124 projects total, too many to post here.

His very last TV appearence was last year on cable's,"The Suite Life Of Zack & Cody",a "kid-com" about two boys who live in a fancy hotel.(Yes,with their parents.)

I did watch "Comitted" and I liked it but when I watched one night with a friend,she could not understand what was funny about the audience laughing,as Tom went through the living room,while the two main characters were making out on the couch. :D

I got a list of his "handful of movies:

Zotz! 1962
The Old Dark House 1963
Soldier In The Rain 1963

The inceredibly funny "Cold Turkey",where a whole town has to give up smoking. :D 1971/72?

The Happy Hooker !!

1978 flop Rabbit Test (starred Billy Crystal as the worlds 1st pregnant man).

"Up The Academy" (an Animal House type comedy).

Carbon Copy 1981

and the TV movie "The Girl,The Gold Watch and Dynamite". Sequel to "The Girl,The Gold Watch and Everything". About a gold watch that can start & stop time & everyone wants it.

At least the TV shows he was in were better.
---------
Speaking of,Mary Margaret (Peggy) Cass she unfortunatly,passed way in March of 1999.
I last saw her on the premeire episode of
"Major Dad" w/ Gerald McCraney.
She was in the military same as he,but I'm guessing she was in a secretarial role. Didn't see her on there after that.

As I metioned I watched,"To T. T. Tr." as a kid and it's not easy to believe Joe Gargiola is the only remaining memeber of that '70s line-up.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:46 AM   #6
Auburn Annie

Don't feel too bad, B - I remember the FIFTIES lineup, mostly with Gary Moore hosting but I have vague memories of the first host (1956) Bud Collyer. Early panelists besides Peggy Cass and Tom Poston included Orson Bean and Kitty Carlisle, Johnny Carson, Polly Bergen, Don Ameche, columnist Hy Gardner, Dick Van Dyke, John Cameron Swayze and Ralph Bellamy. Phyllis Newman appeared for a long time and I think Robert Q. Lewis filled in as well. Most of them, alas, are no longer with us.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:57 PM   #7
Borderstone

I know I should more than likely put this in my "dreams" post but it's not Lightfoot related.

I've been wanting to share this particular dream for awhile but had no cause too,until now.

When my family left PA (heading to CA) on Sunday 1/23/1977,we spent the whoe day just getting to Ohio in one of the worst winters in history.

We got to the hotel many hours later and settled in for the night. When I went to sleep that night,I had,what had to be,the most
"real but not" kind of dream an
8 & 1/2 year old could have.

I actually dreamed I was a panelist on "To Tell The Truth" and host Gary Moore was addressing the camera and saying (best I recall),
"We're also here tonight to say good-bye to (our panelist)Wally (as I was called then).

Then Gary M.- Kitty C.- Joe G.- Bill Cullen and Peggy Cass all got out of their seats and shook my hand,as well as the audience applauding!

Then when I woke up I had tears in my eyes,apparently the emtion of leaving home was letting itself out through that dream.

In a strange co-incidence,"Truth" was cancelled months later!
Old 05-04-2007, 06:34 PM   #8
brink-

Quote:
Originally posted by Auburn Annie:
Don't feel too bad, B - I remember the FIFTIES lineup, mostly with Gary Moore hosting but I have vague memories of the first host (1956) Bud Collyer. Early panelists besides Peggy Cass and Tom Poston included Orson Bean and Kitty Carlisle, Johnny Carson, Polly Bergen, Don Ameche, columnist Hy Gardner, Dick Van Dyke, John Cameron Swayze and Ralph Bellamy. Phyllis Newman appeared for a long time and I think Robert Q. Lewis filled in as well. Most of them, alas, are no longer with us.
Wasn't it Bud Collyer that had the really thick glasses? I loved Peggy Cass. I watched that show whenever I could, it was great. Orson Bean was hilarious,Dick Van Dyke,Johnny Carson always great. Phyllis Newman and Kitty Carlisle always classy.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 12:26 AM   #9
closetcanadian

No, Bud Collyer did not wear really thick glasses. I think you have him mistaken with Bill Cullen, another 1950s game show host. He wore "coke bottle" specs. Of course, I was just a wee lad at the time so my memory may be faulty! :D
closetcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 03:39 PM   #10
fezo

Thanks for reinforcing my credentials as an old guy. I remember seeing Zotz! in its original run in a theater. I would have been eleven.

I remember all the To Tell the Truth and What's My Line? And Bill Cullen and Bud Colyer! Peggy Cass went from those shows to the Match Game at one point.

I'll miss Tom Poston. He was great in whatever he did.
fezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 05:49 PM   #11
brink-

Quote:
Originally posted by closetcanadian:
No, Bud Collyer did not wear really thick glasses. I think you have him mistaken with Bill Cullen, another 1950s game show host. He wore "coke bottle" specs. Of course, I was just a wee lad at the time so my memory may be faulty! :D
You are right! Wonderful of you to have such a good memory from being only 2 when he was on TV.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote