Gord's vs, Roberta Flack's, vbulletin,jelsoft,forum,bbs,discussion,bulletin board" /> Gord's vs, Roberta Flack's General Discussion" /> "Your Face">Gord's vs, Roberta Flack's - Page 2 - Gordon Lightfoot Forums

banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-09-2006, 09:10 PM   #26
Affair on Touhy Ave.

Perhaps this was mentioned but Lightfoot's and even Flack's version have the part where the verses such as To the dark and empty skies my love are repeated twice. Problem with Flack's version the edited it for top 40 radio. I heard Gorld's version once, can'r remember it as well know I'm sure better Michell's version is also pretty good and might be in the same tempo though it's barely 2 min. and the verses I mentioned weren't repeated. Still also a very good version.
Affair on Touhy Ave. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 01:42 AM   #27
Islandgirl

I tend to preferr RF's version over GL's. I remember seeing a special [can't remember who produced - maybe National Geographic?]during early 70's about the stages of developement of a human fetus. It was the first time they used computer enhanced images [right term?] on film and it was fascinating. When they came to the time of birth they started playing Roberta Flack's "The First Time I Ever Saw Your Face" while showing mother's with their newborns for the first time. It was very touching and definitely gave another meaning to the song for me. Believe me, if you saw this, the tempo of RF's version wouldn't have bothered you. Does anyone else remember this?
Old 04-11-2006, 04:36 PM   #28
Borderstone

I never have seen that national geographic special. I did see in Jan. of 1983 the PBS film,"Miracle Of Life" in it's very 1st airing.

When it aired I only had "sort of" an idea about how babies come into the world. Thanks to that film (and my mom's shyness about the "birds and the bees" ) I finally got the clear picture.

My God-daughter watched it just a few weeks ago,a "big" eye-opener for her too. <----She was even redder than that! LOL!
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 11:22 AM   #29
<Susan>

Now a great treatment of this song was Joe & Eddie's.. If anyone remembers them.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:18 PM   #30
Borderstone

Does anyone here recall the 1970's commercial that used that song? I only remember some woman in a car with her husband.

Sound familiar? Anyone?
Old 09-10-2006, 04:58 PM   #31
Borderstone

Hi all! I'm bringing this topic back up because,I felt it was better than starting a whole new subject just to post some personal Lightfoot LP news.

Last night my brother and I went for a drive up to the only used record store open on Sat. Night (ZIA). I wasn't exactly looking for anything but out of habit I went through the letter "L".
(I have put all their available Lightfoot at the top! :D )

I started leafing through and there was one of the rare ones!
The 1979 Pickwick LP (w/permission from UA),"The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face"! Which as most of us know is yet another compilation of 60s GL. Only $1.99.

Naturally,I bought it for the simple collection of it and the artwork. An animated picture of Gord that looks like it was copied from,"Back Here
On Earth". It has a slight ring and a "cut-out" at the top,still I'm happy! :D

For thoe of you who have never seen it,take a look:

http://www.lightfoot.ca/facelist.htm Later!
Old 09-11-2006, 11:22 PM   #32
Jennifer

What a nice surprise that must have been for you Borderstone. I too always peruse through the L's. I've yet to be so lucky though.
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 11:31 PM   #33
Jennifer

Oh... regarding "Roberta vs Gordon": who's version of 1st Time Ever I Saw Your Face is better?

I have to admit when I first heard Gordon's recording I furrowed my brow in a bit of distaste, probably because I'm soooo used to Roberta Flacks version, which is no doubt very poignant and lovely. But then something happened... Lightfoots version grew on me and continued to grow on me and now I absolutely love it! The feeling in Gordons voice is undeniable, heartfelt and utterly complete.

I vote for Gordon's version.
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 12:56 PM   #34
patybear

Default Re: "Your Face">Gord's vs, Roberta Flack's

I've never really been all that fond of 'The first Time Ever I Saw Your Face'.But if I had to make a choice,I'd have to go with Roberta Flack's version of it.I just bought the U.A.
collection last week.Gordon's version doesn't really sound like the song I remember(just my humble opinion).
patybear
patybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:33 PM   #35
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfowles View Post

From an epinions review of the 2 CD "The United Artists Collection"
"With two notable exceptions,Lightfoot wrote all of the songs in this collection."
Emphasis mine ... somebody can't count.

First Time
Changes
Pride of Man
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:41 PM   #36
Gitchigumee

Quote:
Originally Posted by patybear View Post
...Gordon's version doesn't really sound like the song I remember...
...which is exactly why I like Gord's version better. I never much liked the Roberta Flack version. And OK I might be just a tad biased, but my goodness Gord bears his soul while singing that song, and does it just beautifully!
"There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run. When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun. Long before the white man, and long before the wheel. When the green dark forest was too silent to be real."

Last edited by Gitchigumee; 10-12-2007 at 03:44 PM.
Gitchigumee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 06:45 PM   #37
Borderstone

As long as this post is up again,has anyone yet recalled the TV commercial that used Flack's version? I'm so dang stumped!
Old 10-12-2007, 08:28 PM   #38
Kathy in Michigan

Try this B,
http://www.jewishworldreview.com/cols/will102802.asp

This is one of those nights when I'm totally engrossed in the computer world. Does anyone want me to find something for them?????????????
Kathy in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:46 PM   #39
Kathy Number Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy in Michigan View Post
Does anyone want me to find something for them?????????????
Yeh, could you find me a husband??
Old 10-12-2007, 10:03 PM   #40
podunklander

Wow talk about memories! I do recall Gord's version..though it's been many, many years since last I heard it -it's great!

However, I could never choose Flack's version over Gord's or vice-versa in the present day. But when Flack topped the charts with it, I was immediately drawn to her voice and would have preferred her interpretation over Gord's. I was a Lightfoot fan back then too, but was just starting singing lessons (I was maybe 10 years old?) and wanted to sing like Roberta Flack.

I was thrilled when she came out with "Killing Me Softly" and was cheering for her when she was awarded her Grammy's. I can still recall part of her acceptance speech, easy enough to remember! "I'd like to thank the world!"

Pam