banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2004, 06:25 AM   #1
Gord

Singer battles cancer

By AP

DAN FOGELBERG, known for hits such as Leader of the Band, Run for the Roses and Same Old Lang Syne, is undergoing experimental treatment for advanced prostate cancer. Fogelberg, 53, was diagnosed with the cancer two months ago during a checkup to prepare for a tour. The Illinois native has cancelled the 16-city solo acoustic tour.

His mother, Margaret Fogelberg, said the cancer has spread to his bones and he is being treated at Harvard Medical School.

Old 08-20-2004, 06:40 PM   #2
violet Blue Horse

No. Damn no. Seems like only yesterday I bought my first Fogelberg Album back when vinyl was all there was.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:38 PM   #3
LSH

damn.
that's sad...loved his stuff. the only thing I could get on my cheapass am radio that wasn't disco...
LSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 12:20 AM   #4
BendRick

I have a feeling Dan will get through this. Here is a copy of a message sent on another group:
Today I heard on the radio, I think it was CBS News, that reported that Dan Fogelberg has cancelled his tours for the rest of 2004, due to prostate cancer. They also said he is seeking new treatment for that cancer, at Harvard. I went to the DanFogelberg.com website, and found a statement there by Dan, saying that this is really not a big deal, and he is NOT seeking treatment at Harvard, and he wants people to respect his privacy. However his tours are still cancelled. I want to ask this group, doesn't this deserve a little discussion? They say 1 in 4 men will get prostate cancer. Dan is now 53 years old. I have all his albums, he's certainly a very gifted & talented musician.
BendRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 03:45 AM   #5
Borderstone

To RenoRick & all. Rick,it's great to know that someone actually does have all of his albums. Whenever I go to oldies record stores I look under "F" it seems like it's the Dan Fogelberg section. Quite insulting I think. I only have his Greatest Hits but I have listened to them many times.

I like to believe he'll pull through as well,there's been a strange case in the past year of famous men dying in their 50s,John Ritter,Robert Palmer,George Harrison etc.
I don't want to see Dan F. join them.

------------------
"A knight of the road,going back to a place where he might get warm." - Borderstone
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 07:57 AM   #6
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

I took my wife to see him last year for her birthday, great concert at the Keswick in Glenside, PA He was scheduled to play there in the fall of this year and I was online and hollering to her downstairs asking if I should get tickets when an email came in from the Keswick Box Office saying his tour was cancelled and why. What can you say ? We'll have to wait and see - all of us here know how rumors and 'privacy' do battle until eventually we'll know the real story. I think he's got a good chance.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 10:58 AM   #7
brink

I heard on the radio here that Dan is in Colorado getting experimental treatment someplace. I understand the privacy thing, but the other side - they have put themselves in the public eye, have made a fortune off us, we start to feel a link of a kinship but then when something happens we aren't important anymore. Then the speculation starts and rumours run rampant. Just a statement occasionally would be nice. It's like 'Thanks for all the money you spent for me, and the adoration now I don't feel good, go mind your own business.'
Just my opinion.
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 02:51 PM   #8
charlene

I hope Dan has a full recovery and gets bact to touring soon.
For a wonderful version of his "Leader of the Band" go to Cathy's site: http://www.cathycowette.com/saratogaconcert.asp

it' fabulous!
Char
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 10:57 PM   #9
talbot10

I pray he gets well. He is a great songwriter and the "Netherlands" album may have been a forerunner to some of the great "EMO" music that is out there. there is lots of stuff being done by the younger generations that is first rate.
Bill

------------------
..*you will always have your time to shine, even in the winter of your darkest hour*...jeremy enigk
talbot10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 01:47 AM   #10
Janice

quote:Originally posted by Borderstone:
To RenoRick & all. Rick,it's great to know that someone actually does have all of his albums. Whenever I go to oldies record stores I look under "F" it seems like it's the Dan Fogelberg section. Quite insulting I think. I only have his Greatest Hits but I have listened to them many times.

It might not be as insulting as you might imagine, B. A lot of folks traded in their vinyl for CDs, so it's very possible that for every album you see in the bins, the person who sold it now owns the CD format.

I think you and I are two of the very few people out there who still add to their vinyl collection and still actually listen to them
Janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 02:57 AM   #11
brink

He will be on Soundstage next week on some PBS stations. It was recorded August 2003.
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 08:07 PM   #12
violet Blue Horse

Also, the more popular the album, the more copies that are out there, the more likely you are to find it used in vinyl.

quote:Originally posted by Janice:
It might not be as insulting as you might imagine, B. A lot of folks traded in their vinyl for CDs, so it's very possible that for every album you see in the bins, the person who sold it now owns the CD format.

I think you and I are two of the very few people out there who still add to their vinyl collection and still actually listen to them

Old 09-08-2004, 12:11 PM   #13
Capecod

Dan Fogelberg is one of my favorite songwriters all the way from HomeFree to Full Circle & everything inbetween.

Feel free to send your heartfelt good vibes to my Songwriters board. I love this new site here!

www.voy.com/111383/

Thanks,
CapeCod
Capecod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 06:03 PM   #14
mandibackstreet

I love Dan - been a fan since Home Free. Have all his records/now in CD form. I am so sad to hear of his illness. I feel need to play his music 1st thing in the morning/last thing at night to send some type of "psychic" good luck. I want to talk w/others about how much his music means to me, but don't find a lot of forums out here with much talk. I don't want the next news of Dan to be of his death. ~Mandi
quote:Originally posted by Gord:
Singer battles cancer

By AP

DAN FOGELBERG, known for hits such as Leader of the Band, Run for the Roses and Same Old Lang Syne, is undergoing experimental treatment for advanced prostate cancer. Fogelberg, 53, was diagnosed with the cancer two months ago during a checkup to prepare for a tour. The Illinois native has cancelled the 16-city solo acoustic tour.

His mother, Margaret Fogelberg, said the cancer has spread to his bones and he is being treated at Harvard Medical School.

Old 10-18-2004, 06:35 PM   #15
Borderstone

Any more recent news about him??? Let me know.

------------------
"A knight of the road,going back to a place where he might get warm." - Borderstone
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote