banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 06-30-2011, 09:30 PM   #1
charlene

Default Happy Canada Day

I will be in Sarasota Florida for Canada Day..(not sure the locals know about it-lol)

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...rticle2082282/

Times have changed. Except for irascible hockey commentator Don Cherry, with his ubiquitous “Eh?,” and the slightly idiotic “hot enough for ya?,” sayings that used to instantly identify us here and abroad as Canadians have more or less gone by the boards.

The toque-wearing hoser ethos (“beauty, eh?”) played to perfection in the eighties by SCTV’s Bob and Doug McKenzie and even that famous “My name is Joe and I am a Canadian!” beer ad are also ancient history.

Today a more relevant take on what it means to be Canadian is likely to be comedian Russell Peters’s hilarious send-up of his India-born father trying to “pass” as Canadian by inviting the neighbours to a barbecue because “Canadians like to eat the barbecue,” and offering them “hoddogs,” and other “white food.”

To deep-six another stereotype, we Canadians are not nearly as nice as we used to be. Any car-honking, digit-brandishing drive through downtown Toronto or Montreal in rush hour will attest to that.

So how can you spot a Canadian these days?

Herewith, on this day of national celebration, my highly selective top 10 ways to spot a Canadian, circa 2011:

1. You are a Canadian if you spend, as a member of my family did recently, three days in a top teaching hospital, get the best cardiac care going, and on your way out, gratefully walk right by the sign that says Cash Office, because it’s all paid for, and that’s what we support and believe in: universal health care.

2. You’re a Canadian if you like vinegar on your French fries, think just about anything – especially barbecued salmon – goes better with maple syrup, and admit poutine could be the national dish, especially if it’s gussied up by top chef Jamie Kennedy.

3. You’re a Canadian if you’ve politely said, “I’m sorry” at least once in the past week to someone who jostled YOU in the subway, but you privately swear more than Americans, Brits or Aussies. (It’s true! We’re the best damn swearers around.)

4. You’re a Canadian if you think a Prime Minister with a divisive modus operandi and a penchant for control meets the bar to be called “a dictator.” Just don’t take that to North Korea.

5. You’re a Canadian if you gripe about the heat during what amounts to a measly two-month summer. And if the first snowfall in winter always seems like a personal affront.

6. You’re a Canadian if your country hosts a contentious G-20 conference and no one was killed or seriously injured during the inevitable street riots, but in which, a year later, you’re still rightfully calling the police on the carpet for their heavy-handed presence and egregious abuse of power.

7. You’re a Canadian if in public you don’t really feel like thanking God for everything; whom you pray to is still a private matter, thank you very much.

8. You’re a Canadian if the sound of Gordon Lightfoot singing Ribbon of Darkness moves you to tears almost as much as Justin Bieber pouting out Baby, but for very different reasons. And if you think the most pertinent fact about international megastars like Celine Dion, Michael Bublé and Christopher Plummer is that they are Canadian, just like you!

9. You’re a Canadian if you refile your taxes to correct a tiny mistake, wait patiently at a red light to cross the street even though no car is coming, and address a surly American customs guard as Sir even after he has menacingly threatened not to let you into his country because of some minor omission on your customs card.

10. You’re a Canadian if, when visiting Paris and dressed like any North American – so casually that as David Sedaris once put it, you look “like you’re ready to mow someone’s lawn” – and a resident asks what part of “the States” you’re from, you bristle and proudly declare your nationality.

In short, you’re a Canadian if you’re nice but not too nice, deferential to authority but still ready to insist on justice, especially when it comes to rogue cops, and if you don’t need a UN quality-of-life survey to convince you that you live in the best damn country in the world.

Oh and you’re very much a Canadian if you read this list and said, what the hell? She didn’t even mention hockey. Happy Canada Day.

and Char (and gord) say - ya gotta love the Leafs!!!
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:32 PM   #2
Shade of a Maple Tree

Default Re: Happy Canada Day

And sometime tomorrow, I'll be listening to "Hi'Way Songs", which I think is Gord's most 'Canadian' song.

In the following lyrics excerpt, you can see that Gord has a very high regard for his homeland:

"Just for now, I'd like to rest, in the shade of a maple tree; to the blue Canadian sky, I'll say a prayer for the world out there."

And the line I like best is where he sings: " And headin' north across that line is the only time I'm flyin'."

As a Canadian, I count myself lucky that the worst I might ever have to face on a day-to-day basis is reading about troubles overseas, and not actually experiencing them here at home. And while I like to travel and visit faraway places once in a while, I'm always glad when my feet touch down on home soil.

If you're Canadian, I hope you'll have a happy Canada Day, and take a minute out tomorrow to consider all the blessings you have living in the vast, beautiful country you live in.
Shade of a Maple Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:28 AM   #3
lighthead2toe

Hey guys.
A truly, most joyous Happy Canada Day present arrived for me this evening when our flight landed from Vancouver safe and sound in the beautiful Province on Ontario.

It's the place where we plan to live and the place where I belong.

On this, the eve of Canada Day, 2011 I could not have been more blessed with such a wonderful, almost surreal experience I might add; and to compliment the joy, tomorrow, Canada Day I have been invited to connect with John Stinson, Paul Bartlett, Scott Williamson and, a most pleasant surprise, our own JJ, to help celebrate Canada Day in song at the Canadian Legion Hall in Aurora, Ontario, the home town of Gordon Lightfoot's former lead guitar player Red Shea.

My dear friends; life really is worth living, believe me, and for a Gordon Lightfoot fan, it doesn't get any better than this.

But for now, after a long flight, I have to rest in the shade of the beautiful red maple tree gracing the front of this house we're staying, say a prayer for the world out there, and tomorrow, after the second cup of coffee, it's off to the big gig!

Nous Vivons Ensembles,

RJ.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:42 AM   #4
charlene

Happy Canada Day! Sounds terrific Ron - I am tres jealous that I can't attend the gig!! Is James recording it in any way??

I'll be back home tomorrow at 5....
Old 07-02-2011, 01:27 AM   #5
Lisa J

Send a message via AIM to Lisa J

Happy Canada Day to all. Sadly, I cannot say I am Canadian. You are the nicest people I have ever encountered and every time I am in Canada I feel so very welcome. these words always make me long for another visit.
"Just for now, I'd like to rest, in the shade of a maple tree; to the blue Canadian sky, I'll say a prayer for the world out there."
I hope you all have a nice day.

Lisa J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:21 PM   #6
teherie

I would like to add four more to Char's list.

1) It took less than 3 minutes to renew my non-resident Ontario fishing license (or as you would say "licence") at Canadian Tire with my Outdoor card issued by your Ministry of Natural Resources. It usually takes 15 minutes just to find the guy who needs 20 minutes to find the guy with the key to the box with the licenses.

2) I can actually see the bottom of the lake, river or stream every where I go.

3) The Georgian Bay Shrimp (Smelt) that we had at Henry's on Frying Pan Island along with not one, not two, but three different choices of vinegar for the fries. (I only gained 2 pounds last week and it's already gone again).

4) Finally, even a marginal player like me can make a tune like "Hi' Way Songs" or "Whispers of the North" (complete with a real live loon lead into the opening) sound good.
teherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:41 PM   #7
charlene

I'm home!
I watched CANADA DAY festivities from Ottawa online and loved seeing William and Kate looking like they were having a blast.
I was amazed that in a couple of places on my visit this year i did get malt vinegar! We always have a choice of malt, cider or white at hoe...love them!
Siesta Key beach in Sarasota is glroiousl..Dr. Beach naed is # 2 in U.S. the last 2 years and this year it is # ONE! It's the finest powder, stays cool, it's a deep beach from shore to parking lot and it's 88-90 degrees.
http://www.drbeach.org/top10beaches.htm and criteria @http://www.drbeach.org/50criteria.htm
We left Tampa 25 minutes late but arrived only 10 minutes late in Toronto. From docking at the gate to standing outside on the arrivals platform waiting for our ride was only 17 minutes. That was along walk thru the terminal, getting luggage (which was already on the carousel despite being told it would be 20-25 minutes) and going through customs...amazing! I waited longer for my take out dinner on my way home!
lol
http://www.blogto.com/city/2011/07/p...ks_in_toronto/
We won't discuss weight...
Old 07-03-2011, 10:41 AM   #8
Sundown17

Welcome Home.

And we never discuss weight...unless it's in the context of loss.
Sundown17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:16 PM   #9
jj

Thx for the well wishes from the south

And true, char, it was a wonderful day in Ottawa, aurora and at the Rogers centre greeting Roy back when the phillies manager showed class in having Halliday bring out the lineup card to the roar if the Toronto fans.

http://www.google.ca/m/search?site=i...onto&sa=N#i=10

Welcome home Roy, char and Ron jones!

Ron was received with a rousing roar of applause after delivering CRT to the national legion headquarters banquet hall. And mr Stinson must have sang about 50 tunes off and on over a 5 hour stretch. Just plain fun.

My hands and mind were fully occupied char or I'd have been on recording duty. I don't think it was a hell freezes over tour so perhaps there'll be another opportunity...last but most, it was great chatting with Paul and Scott and meeting Ron's better half and mega-cute grandson. Cheers all.
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:25 PM   #10
charlene

Famous Seamus was there? He's adorable!
We'll have to do it all again before summers end...
5 hours! good lord he's going to nap till August!
lol
Wish I'd been there....
Old 07-03-2011, 02:29 PM   #11
Hangdog

Hi Char ,
We all had a great time at the Aurora Town Park and later at the Legion. Ron Jones was great...as was Paul Bartlett and Scot Williamson and wow .. i enjoyed playing for the first time with Jim. Very nice. Here's a few shots of us at the Park...wish i had some video and sound but we didn't. And the Lighfoot tunes we played in the Park

You Are What I Am
For Lovin Me
Early Morning Rain
Farewell To Nova Scotia
If You Could Read My Mind
Did She Mention My Name
Sundown
Song For A Winters Night
Cold On The Shoulder
Alberta Bound
Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	canada day - 2011Lambert Park 007.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	387.6 KB
ID:	4400  
Hangdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:14 PM   #12
niffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa J View Post
Happy Canada Day to all. Sadly, I cannot say I am Canadian. You are the nicest people I have ever encountered and every time I am in Canada I feel so very welcome. these words always make me long for another visit.
I hope you all have a nice day.

Ditto.
niffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:24 AM   #13
jj

Nice pic, John

those were the first live Lightfoot harmonies since Montreau! Lol

Anybody heard from Ron since?

Last edited by jj; 07-07-2011 at 06:17 PM.
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:31 AM   #14
charlene

yep - heard from him the other day.