banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 12-15-2010, 11:09 AM   #1
Wes Steele

Default Is It Me? Am I wrong?

Everyone, please chastise me if I am wrong on this one... This sort of REALLY bugs me.

They just came out with the latest inductees for the "Rock & Roll Hall Of Shame"... (oops, sorry... Hall Of Fame)

Dr. John? Dr. John???????????????????????????? What?????

I live about thirty miles from this "hall of fame" and I have NO desires to step inside. Never did... never will....

I find it amazing that GL has never been nominated... Did you ever see the list who are in this place? Many of them one hit wonders...if that....

GL has done more for music than half of these so called "artists"....

Sorry if I offended any "Dr. John" fans out there... but I really believe this guy.... and many others... should not be in this place.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:36 AM   #2
brink-

Default Re: Is It Me? Am I wrong?

Nope, you are not wrong!
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:37 AM   #3
charlene

http://rockhall.com/inductees/alphabetical/
Many who don't seem to be all that deserving...for sure.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:41 AM   #4
Sundown17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Steele View Post
Everyone, please chastise me if I am wrong on this one... This sort of REALLY bugs me.

They just came out with the latest inductees for the "Rock & Roll Hall Of Shame"... (oops, sorry... Hall Of Fame)

Dr. John? Dr. John???????????????????????????? What?????

I live about thirty miles from this "hall of fame" and I have NO desires to step inside. Never did... never will....

I find it amazing that GL has never been nominated... Did you ever see the list who are in this place? Many of them one hit wonders...if that....

GL has done more for music than half of these so called "artists"....

Sorry if I offended any "Dr. John" fans out there... but I really believe this guy.... and many others... should not be in this place.
Wes,

IF...and that's a pretty big if...you are wrong then you are in good company here. I, and I know many others, agree with you not only on the "why isn't Gord on this list" but also the head-shaking at the ones that are.

Someone here (and I apologize that I can't remember who) once posted the process. If memory serves (and I think I've already proven that it might not, lol) it comes down to a popularity contest. Names are given (and I guess Gord has made the list) and then voted on. Like the Oscars, Emmys, Tonys etc. But I could be wrong.

Diane
Sundown17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:57 AM   #5
charlene

some induction info:
http://rockhall.com/inductees/induction-process/
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:34 PM   #6
Wes Steele

Char,

Thanks for posting that link...but it just made me more upset...

If you look at ALL the categories that they induct people in, GL could be inducted in ALL catergories.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:17 PM   #7
3pennies

The Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame is controlled by Jann Wenner, the guy behind Rolling Stone.

From Wikipedia on him :

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame controversy

Wenner has endured quite a bit of controversy during his career, as it relates to his involvement in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Fans and supporters of several artists, which include Chicago, Deep Purple, Kiss, The Monkees, Electric Light Orchestra,The Miracles , Yes, Jethro Tull, Linda Ronstadt, Neil Diamond, The B-52s, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Rush,[14] The Guess Who, Bachman–Turner Overdrive and The Moody Blues,[15] have placed a large amount of blame on Wenner for keeping them out of the Hall of Fame. They claim Wenner has lobbied to keep them from consideration and nomination to the Hall based on personal bias and a dislike for their music.

As you can tell he's not a big prog rock fan, but we are not talking about prog rock here.

Wenner and Robbie Robertson of the Band are close friends. So you have Neil Diamond and Dr John getting inducted this time, funny, they both were at The Last Waltz.

I guess if Gord had decided to be part of The Last Waltz and not just watch from backstage perhaps he would have been inducted this year. They could have called it "let's induct everyone who was at The Last Waltz who hasn't been inducted already."

If Robertson does truly have Wenner's ear he should do something about Gord, and the Guess Who while he is at it.
3pennies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:25 PM   #8
spocksbrain

With respect to the bard, Lightfoot by his own words is not a rock and roller. However, I agree that Wenner, Robertson and others like John Fogerty and Paul Schaeffer are in cahoots. I've watched these phony-baloney induction ceremonies for years and cannot figure out for the life of me why some of these groups are there. I see that some of it fits a politically correct agenda. The Guess Who should have been inducted long ago. Odds are that Gord will never be considered for this "esteemed" crowd. If you want to see how much influence Fogerty has over the whole thing, just research the abuse he dished out to his Creedence bandmates at their 1993 induction. Springsteen and Robertson condoned his actions by playing along, though they later apologized. This Hall of Fame is nothing for Gordon to envy for sure.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:33 PM   #9
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by spocksbrain View Post
This Hall of Fame is nothing for Gordon to envy for sure.
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:59 PM   #10
Rob1956

It's a matter of how the artists feel. Take Neil Diamond for instance. Now 45 years into his career, and having sold between 120 and 130 million records, he really doesn't have anything to prove. Wether you're a fan or not is irrevelant. This induction is a big deal to him. I think he's intelligent enough to see the politics with the Hall, and that a lot of it is B.S. But, it's a big deal to him. As, I'm sure, it is with the other inductees. You get near 70, and if you feel you deserve to be recognized for you life's contributions, so be it.
I suspect Gord feels a big detachment from the American rock community, and it's probably how it should be. We compartmentalize everything, because that's how our brains work! Dr. John had a couple of "rock" hits, hug out with rock people, is touring with Elton John. He got compartmentalized into the rock category. Gord got put into the folk category. That's how it works. Then Jan Wenner and his cronies unilaterally decide who gets in. You can tell by the Rolling Stone record reviews. Years ago a Diamond album was never reviewed. Then they started getting 2 stars, then the last two with Rick Rubin producing got 3 or 3 1/2 stars. Leading up to it being "ok" to induct him.
All politics. But when someone hands you an award, it's a heady experience regardless of how it made its way to you.
Rob1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:55 AM   #11
Wes Steele

Thanks to everyone for their posts.... meaning who controls this thing and how its "operated". This has now put this place in an even less favorable light for me.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:24 PM   #12
Affair on Touhy Ave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spocksbrain View Post
With respect to the bard, Lightfoot by his own words is not a rock and roller.
Yeah it seem silly to include those in the R&R Hall of Fame who are not rockers.
Affair on Touhy Ave. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:18 PM   #13
Borderstone

(Performers only)

Alice Cooper - Fine

Neil Diamond - I'll reply about that in a moment.

Dr. John - I hope that's for his album output and not just his 1 hit wonder "Right Place,Wrong Time". Of course,like Wes,I'm laughing seriously at that one!

Darlene Love - I agree,she should be.

Tom Waits - I've heard his stuff but it doesn;t appeal to me...but I get why they chose him.

(It also says Leon Russell but he's listed as a "sideman)

Okay first of all,Weiner er....er...ah Wenner is a jackass. (Insert Donkey smiley here)
He's made it no secret that as long as he's on the comittee,he'll do all he can to keep KISS out of the R & R H. O .F. / Paul Stanley of that group accuses WEnner of turning the Hall into an elitist country club where they can black-ball who they like.

Sad thing is,this is not about the we the fans,it's supposed to be a vote by the peers but even that seems jaded. How much longer will they keep out The Moody Blues? Gonna wait 'til the lead singer in 90?

part of the problem is,"the biggest of the big" (1950s through the 1970s ,with a few exceptions) have already been inducted. They also put too many in too fast in the first few years.

Anyhow,about Neil. Neil (before I re-dicoverd Gord) was my #1 favorite male singer in the late 70s & the ealry 80s.

While I am happy for him,the truth is Neil was the butt of many jokes from rock fans back then and the critics were even worse to him. Neil also stopped being anything close to rock after (I'd say) "Forever In Blue Jeans" in 1979.

After that he may as well have been Neil Manilow. His stage act seemed kind of corny & "Vegas-ized". Although,I was glad to see him live in 1989,it was a good show but I kind of wished I was old enough 10 years sooner.

Despite that,congratualtions Neil. You've gone where no one expected you to venture. (That'll certainly increase his CD sales).

Last edited by Borderstone; 12-19-2010 at 09:38 PM.
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:49 AM   #14
jj

why don't they just have a MUSIC hall of fame, and get rid of arguments about genre boundaries?

perhaps split into sites, one for Songwriter's (i guess there are a few Halls of Fame for this already) and one for Performers... some would fall into both, such as Neil and Gord...there are some songwriters that i would put into the former but not the latter, such as David foster

...ok, i actually confused Dr John with Dr Hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderstone View Post
How much longer will they keep out The Moody Blues? Gonna wait 'til the lead singer in 90?
are you serious? wow, Justin's "a singer in a rock & roll band"

there's likely an entire site dedicated to this controversy, it's massive and i'm sure many have Graceland-ish weeps over who's in and who's out

i'm not into Kiss but i figure, alone, they're an American R+R Institution... odd

anyhow, whoever said it would mean a lot to Gord, you're probably quite right

if he was inducted, would he feel comfy up on stage in that All Star jam? and what song of his might they "rock" to? as I've said, i don't see him as Rock (even though he wore the Rock t-shirt for the MMM special, it was probably for his kids) but perhaps Roll...Gord knows how to Roll with the best of them

speaking of Hall farces, 'we' say Tom Cheek should be in the Baseball Hall
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:41 AM   #15
Rob1956

Justin Hayward's one of the most underrated guitarists in rock music. He's won all sorts of awards (alas, no Grammy's). He and the boys most certainly deserve to be inducted, but Wenner hates prog rock and the MB's.
Rob1956 is offline   Reply With Quote