banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 04-01-2015, 04:22 PM   #1
charlene

Default Paul McCartney-Gordon Lightfoot

Paul McCartney: "It's Kanye, c'mon on...not Gordon Lightfoot"

http://www.sundayworld.com/entertain...-collaboration

The 72-year-old musician has revealed Nancy Shevell - who he wed in 2011 - isn't a fan of his latest track with Kanye West because of his excessive use of offensive language, which the entrepreneur was unaware was still used.

He explained: "I think he mentions the N-word about 40 times. It's controversial, I know, especially with the climate in modern-day America.

"It really shocked Nancy because she'd been to school with a lot of black kids and been immersed in that experience."

However, the former The Beatles star defended the 'Gold Digger' hitmaker by saying he is artistically expressing himself in the controversial track, and doesn't use the word in an offensive way.

He continued: "Whether you like what Kanye does or you don't, he's an artist and it's his prerogative.

"His school of thought is that he's reclaimed the n-word, he's reappropriated it. If you're gonna work with Kanye, you have to accept who he is."

Sir Paul - who has also worked on several other tracks for the 37-year-old rapper's upcoming seventh studio album 'So Help Me God' - added he doesn't believe anyone was surprised by the foul-mouthed track, because the rapper is always stirring controversy, unlike other musicians like 1970s folk singer Gordon Lightfoot.

He told Q Magazine: "It's Kanye, come on - not Gordon Lightfoot."
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:08 PM   #2
Borderstone

Default Re: Paul McCartney-Gordon Lightfoot

Really Paul?

I'm hoping he just pulled Gordon's name out of thin air with that remark .

Gordon's controversial but that's certainly better than "purposely" (and transparently) bringing about contoversy to get one's self noticed...instead of oh..I dunno...just doing your music and rapping/singing and that being enough.

Gordon ,in hiswon quiet way ,is a legend. If Kanye wants to ever be called one ,he needs to grow up. Most especially in going on about Beyonce needing to win every music award under the sun!
Old 04-02-2015, 10:29 PM   #3
Dan O'Malley

Yea seems a pretty strange, random reference from Macca. Maybe he's pissed with Gord for knocking him off the number one slot in '74 lol. Get over it it Paul!!
Old 04-02-2015, 11:27 PM   #4
charlene

I posted this only to note that he used Lightfoot so readily as the anti-Kanye as far as swearing goes was quite a surprise to me - he could have referenced a million other artists - new and old - who do not resort to swearing like Kanye but referenced Lightfoot..I find that quite astonishing..
I thought it quite remarkable that Paul would, off the top of his head say Gordon's name as the opposite to how Kanye writes lyrics when he could have said a million other names. I think Gordon would be quite chuffed about it and not take it as a diss against him or his writing..
Old 04-03-2015, 12:32 PM   #5
Don Quixote

"...when you're down and s--t outta luck"
"washin' the bullsh--t down"

We all have our moments, don't we? The difference is, that if you only have the profane and the "edgy for edgy's sake" to count on, your lack of talent will eventually come out.

DQ
Don Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 02:01 PM   #6
charlene

People used to say 'lack of talent' about the Beatles etc. as well (and even our dear Gordon has naysayers.....) It's a different talent than what some of us may like/prefer and one that seems to be quite popular regardless of the personality behind it. there's many artists/groups who use the same lyrics/views who are enormously popular and sell millions of albums and sell out massive venues so I'd say there's an awful lot of people who think they do have talent. WHile I am not a fan of rap/hop hop regardless of the language used, I just don't like the 'style' of the music itself.
But I do appreciate that in that genre there is obvious talent. Just not my cuppa nor my place to say they lack talent.
However, I can say unequivocally that "I" lack musical talent - 100% talentless - that's me so don't look for videos on YouTube!lol
And again - this was not posted to bring focus on talent/no talent etc. but that Sir Paul mentioned Lightfoot so readily...and I don't feel his mention was a diss on Lightfoot either. A comparison of styles...one not better than the other, just different. And Sir Paul certainly can claim to know a lot about music of all genres..
Old 04-04-2015, 05:08 PM   #7
Affair on Touhy Ave.

Who cares what Paul says.
Affair on Touhy Ave. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 06:28 AM   #8
paskatefan

I take Sir Paul's comment in the way Char does.
paskatefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 06:19 PM   #9
Lisa J

Send a message via AIM to Lisa J

i actually thought he was complementing Gordon! He said gord's name as if people would know who he was and understand his music style.
Lisa J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:14 AM   #10
Jim Nasium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Affair on Touhy Ave. View Post
Who cares what Paul says.
A lot of people do. You never know some McCartney fans who have never heard of GL just may google him, check out his music and take more than a passing interest
Jim Nasium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:57 PM   #11
Affair on Touhy Ave.

I still stick by what I say and so what if there are those who don't know who he is?

The important thing is we do and I'd rather discuss Gordon and his music then worry about whoever else doesn't like him or even know about him.

Last edited by Affair on Touhy Ave.; 04-06-2015 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:06 PM   #12
charlene

yes we do know who he is and for new people coming to this site and seeing your attitude certainly won't see them coming back. part of being a fan of anyone or anything is spreading the joy and info about it to those who may also enjoy it. there's probably alot of people who are Kanye fans who only found out about McCartney thru him and now are enlightened to a vast musical history that was, is and always will be huge in the annals of music whether you agree or like it or give a damn....
lighten up.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:29 PM   #13
Affair on Touhy Ave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
yes we do know who he is and for new people coming to this site and seeing your attitude certainly won't see them coming back.
I think you're overreacting a bit Charlene.

I'm not in any way going against educating people on Gordon who may not be familiar with him.

I'm sure over the years they're been many who know him just for his hits like, Sundown or IYCRMM and may not know about him being the writer of "Early Morning Rain" or "Ribbon Of Darkness. There's probably a lot down through the years who just know the last song I mentioned as just a Marty Robbins song.

However,

I don't think mentioning the article about Paul or anyone else making that quote on Gordon is meaningful.

What's the point? How is it helping?

Last edited by Affair on Touhy Ave.; 04-06-2015 at 06:45 PM.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:34 PM   #14
Borderstone

Dan - Yea seems a pretty strange, random reference from Macca. Maybe he's
pissed with Gord for knocking him off the number one slot in '74 lol. Get over it it Paul!!

LOL!! Good one Dan.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:05 PM   #15
Rob1956

I think a lot of people are over reacting. Paul just threw out Gord's name as a reference. On one side you have the "N" word over and over and on the other side, "safe" music. Pare it down even further, you have "white" vs. "black" music. Let's face it. I know many black folks in their mid to later 50's and none ever heard of Gord. So Paul took the bait and became defensive and grabbed the whitest artist he could think of. Big deal. I have all the Beatles albums, all Gord's albums, but never thought to buy a McCartney album. Just sayin'.....
Rob1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:19 AM   #16
charlene

yes he threw it out - that is the point of the post. for whatever reason the name Gordon Lightfoot came out of his mouth. I find that quite extraordinary..perhaps visiting with another Canadian at his home in England helped..Ron Sexsmith spent time with Sir Paul at Paul's home in England and Ron is a HUGE Lightfoot fan. (and Gordon is a Ron fan!)