banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-09-2016, 03:50 PM   #1
charlene

Default Mariposa 2016 - Meredith as well as Gordon - both perform

Meredith - tweet photo from Orillia Packet and Times paper..
HER online contacts:
http://meredithmoon.bandcamp.com/alb...ongs-to-cry-to

YOUTUBE: www.youtube.com/channel/UCT89vKA-Fa7zPWJVeTrP3KQ

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/meredithmoonmusic/?pnref=lhc

and dad and Kim are watchingNathan Taylor tweet)
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 03:52 PM   #2
charlene

Default Re: Mariposa 2016 -

@ Mariposa: When asked by Simcoe.com if he planned to play, he said he was just making "a cameo."

Old 07-09-2016, 06:25 PM   #3
charlene

and then this happened. (EmilyM twitter pic) :
Old 07-09-2016, 06:30 PM   #4
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
and then this happened. (EmilyM twitter pic) :
Patrick bales twitter pic:

Old 07-09-2016, 06:32 PM   #5
charlene

sofie andreou twitter pic:
Old 07-09-2016, 07:10 PM   #6
charlene

VIDEO - DRINK YER GLASES EMPTY CLIP https://twitter.com/AtkinsonNancy/st...08048650772480

VIDEO - IF YOU COULD READ MY MIND CLIP - https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t5...11183028_n.mp4
Old 07-09-2016, 07:41 PM   #7
charlene

Old 07-09-2016, 07:42 PM   #8
charlene

Old 07-09-2016, 07:49 PM   #9
charlene

shred kelley (group at mariposa) twitter pic)
Old 07-09-2016, 08:48 PM   #10
charlene

http://www.orilliapacket.com/2015/07...-its-all-about
Someone said, "This has to be the most international festival in years."

I wish I could remember who figured that one out, but when I heard it, I knew it was true.

Black Umfolosi taking the Mariposa Folk Festival main stage Friday evening is where the thread begins. This quintet of a cappella singers from Zimbabwe thoroughly entertained with rich harmonies, an awesome dance called the gumboot and a rendition of The Lion Sleeps Tonight that grew to a choir of several thousand voices.

The thread reached all the way to Sunday evening in the pub, where Brian Litvin and Jabulani performed with Kunle. The former are South African and the latter, Nigerian — the music was universal. They performed as one band shifting through the subtleties of the qualities that distinguish the music rooted in different parts of the vast African continent.

The real treat was watching the drummer, George Morellato, who was the only one on stage not from Africa. (He’s from Ontario’s frozen north.) His mannerisms and musical choices behind the drum set were incredibly much like a younger Ringo Starr.

As per usual at the festival, I didn’t see every performer, and I think some people have a secret delight asking me if I saw so-and-so, knowing my answer is probably going to be "No, I was in the pub at that time."

Of those I didn’t see, Lucho Quequezana hails from Peru, Michele Gazich from Italy and Farrucas, which fused its Ecuadorian and Mediterranean heritage but is familiar to me and most of Orillia by virtue of its many downtown street-festival appearances.

Then there are a number of musicians from any number of bands who will joke they are from another country, The Rock (Cape Breton), who played at the festival. And there was music from all corners of Canada, which can sound foreign if your familiarity with music begins and ends with playing the radio.

It was truly a melting pot of sound and rhythm all weekend, helped along by fantastic weather that gave us our first true summery, sweltering day Sunday, while Friday and Saturday were just right.

I did hear Taj Weekes and Adowa on the main stage Sunday night. The band members come from all over the Caribbean, so their brand of reggae is a little different, especially when they introduce African elements to the sound. They were a great break from the standard fiddle and banjo fare that dominates the ears at the festival.

So, too, was Reuben and the Dark when it took the stage in the pub Saturday night. Now, in the pub, it’s almost required there be a banjo or fiddle present at all times on the stage. That’s OK; the crowd loves it. But when these guys started, the sound was so different, many people were asking, "Who is this?" in a pleasantly surprised way.

Our own Griddle Pickers had numerous performances scattered around the schedule and I think they gained many more new fans than they bargained for.

I had to laugh when the hundreds of people swarmed in to the area around the Ruth Stage Sunday afternoon to catch the Gordon Lightfoot Songs workshop — then swarmed out when it was done, not realizing the person they hoped to catch a glimpse of, Gordon Lightfoot, would be back to enjoy his daughter’s performance with The Earnest Hummingways in the following workshop.

For the first, there were about a thousand on hand to rise and pay tribute when Gord showed up and barely more than a hundred in the next set. I spoke to several of the musicians after the first set and they were nervous about singing Gord’s tunes in his presence but also extremely focused on what they were doing in order to not let the nerves take over. One of the takeaways from that set: You haven’t lived until you hear Turbo Street Funk do The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

And, of course, Gord did a couple of tunes on the main stage in the evening — Couchiching and If You Could Read My Mind. Something happens to Gord when he walks onto a stage, like he becomes Superman or something, with a stronger voice and mental sharpness that belies his 76 years. I think Mariposa audiences will give him a standing ovation when he’s 99.

At the end of it all, the trepidation at the outset of the weekend of how well the lineup of lesser-known names would be received is a faded memory because of the good times and good music that passed in between.

John Swartz is a columnist for the Packet & Times. He can be contacted at watchthisproductions@encode.com.
2015 photo
Old 07-10-2016, 12:15 AM   #11
charlene

Default Re: Mariposa 2016 - Meredith as well as Gordon - both perform

Old 07-10-2016, 02:58 PM   #12
charlene

STUNNING PHOTO by Deb Halbot of Orillia (Through My Eyes photography..!!!
Old 07-10-2016, 02:59 PM   #13
charlene

onstage with the GOOD FAMILY!!!!!!!!

Old 07-10-2016, 03:52 PM   #14
charlene

PATRICK BALES Twitter pics:
Old 07-10-2016, 08:51 PM   #15
charlene

steph b instagram pic

Old 07-10-2016, 10:38 PM   #16
buzzard

Great pix. Looks like it was a beautiful day. Wish I'd been there.
Thanks for posting.

Brian
buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:52 PM   #17
charlene

VIDEO - ALBERTA BOUND Gordon with the Good Family..
https://www.facebook.com/sean.ellis....8946813130785/
Old 07-11-2016, 05:16 AM   #18
paskatefan

Lovely pics & report! Thanks, Char!

Gail
paskatefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:40 AM   #19
charlene

https://www.facebook.com/NxtGenLeahy/?fref=ts

What an honour it was to meet THE Gordon Lightfoot at Mariposa Folk Festival!!! Thank you Mr. Lightfoot for taking the time to not only watch our show, but to talk to each of the children. We are humbled by your support and words of wisdom!!
Old 07-11-2016, 04:12 PM   #20
charlene

http://www.orilliapacket.com/2016/07...ture-unveiling

The second in a series of bronze leaves honouring the songs of Gordon Lightfoot was unveiled Sunday.

“Black Day in July” was the song featured in a sculpture by Timothy Schmalz, who also created “Golden Leaves,” the overarching tribute to Lightfoot unveiled at Barnfield Point last fall.

The 1968 song details the five day riot which occurred in Detroit in July 1967. Several commentators at the unveiling of the sculpture noted the song's continued relevance, given the latest rounds of racial unrest in the United States.

Lightfoot was somewhat humble about the tune. “It's a good song,” he said.

Although it's a song he wished he never wrote.

He wrote “Black Day in July” as a Canadian with empathy, based on what he was seeing during his initial shows in the United States. He recalled opening for Oscar Peterson in Detroit, and playing bars and coffee houes on both sides of the river during this time.

The overt political interpretation was much more a product of the song getting Top 40 airplay – and subsequently banned - particularly in the Windsor-Detroit market, he said.

“I felt I had no business commenting on it in the first place, as an outsider looking in,” Lightfoot told the gathered media after the unveiling.

Not that Lightfoot didn't dabble in writing songs with a message. He later added he wrote a number of socially-inspired songs during the late 1960s, thanks in part to the inspiration and friendship of Phil Ochs, the late folk troubadour.

One thing he's sure of when it comes to “Black Day in July” is how The Tragically Hip do an incredible cover of the song. During his remarks to the crowd, Lightfoot said Gord Downie and The Hip do “the devil out of this tune.”

“I love the way Gord does the song,” Lightfoot said of the ailing Hip frontman. The Hip's cover appeared on a Lightfoot tribute album released in 2003.

In 2015, the first bronze leaf was unveiled on the Lightfoot Trail, based on “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.”

pbales@postmedia.com

twitter.com/patrickbales

Old 07-12-2016, 10:43 AM   #21
charlene

http://www.orilliapacket.com/2016/07...riposa-moments

ORILLIA - The crowning achievement for just about any Canadian folk musician is to get the seal of approval from Gordon Lightfoot.

The artists who made up the bill at the 2016 Mariposa Folk Festival this weekend got just that, as they impressed one of the finest musicians in Canadian history.

"(There was) a real feel to the festival this year," Lightfoot said Sunday. "I've heard some of the best damn talent."

While there are so many reasons to come to Mariposa each year, the talent on stage is always paramount. What makes the festival so unique is how unfamiliar some of the musicians may be to the festival goers at the start of the weekend. Those foreign sounds become fast favourites to many by the time the sun sets Sunday.

"To me, the highlight of Mariposa is the discovery," said Pam Carter, president of the Mariposa Folk Foundation. "So, when you look at the lineup, you may think, 'Well, gee, I don't know who that is.' You go and see them -- like the group playing in front of us, Shred Kelly -- incredible."

Shred Kelly, a Fernie, B.C., collective, wowed the audiences throughout the weekend with their high-energy performances. They shined the brightest in the workshops, where they collaborated with other musicians, creating "Mariposa Moments" that were talked about throughout the festival grounds the entire weekend.

Stef Paquette -- who, after his main-stage set Sunday night, said the festival was a great way to cap his career -- shared the stage with the band both Saturday and Sunday. He said the experience was something he'll never forget.

"Honestly, it had to be the best spur-of-the-moment show I've ever done in my life," Paquette said. "We could do no wrong ... It's one of those moments where I walked off stage and went ... 'I wish somebody would have filmed that, because you can't reproduce that.'"

"Only at Mariposa," Carter said. "It's (because of) the magic and the beauty of Mariposa and the family of folk artists that they can orchestrate that kind of collaboration."

That such collaborations got to occur after Friday night's storm makes them all the more magical. The festival shut down for about an hour and a half Friday, when a major thunderstorm plowed through Orillia, squarely striking Tudhope Park. Thousands of festival goers raced to the safety of their vehicles -- and, soon, to the exits -- ending their first day earlier than anticipated.

The night brought back memories of a decade ago, when a similar kind of storm wiped out tents in the artisan village and made the main stage waterlogged and unsafe. Where Sarah Harmer treated the crowd in the pub tent to an intimate headlining set then, Rita Coolidge stunned the capacity crowd in the pub who stuck it out through the rain.

"We had an emergency plan on paper (and) we executed it," Carter said. "I think it went really, really well, under the circumstances ... Everyone was safe and as we worked through it, we were able to save the night."

The crowds returned Saturday, and despite the smattering of rain, the overall enjoyment of the weekend was not impacted.

A special dedication by her favourite artist made Bella Francis's day at this year's festival.

"When I was little, my mom and I used to dance to Saltwater Hearts by Dave Gunning," said the 13-year-old, who was attending the second day of the 56th annual festival."My mom had told him yesterday about how much I loved the song, and when he saw me sitting in the front row, he asked me if I wanted him to play that, and he did."

The variety of music was what got Kingston resident Nancy Christie hooked on Mariposa, but the positive atmosphere helps, too.

"It's well organized and thoughtful of people attending ... taking in the whole water-by-the-park theme," she said. "And there's good choice of food."

There was even a wedding this year at Mariposa. Damon and Cara McLean roamed the festival grounds after exchanging vows at the park earlier in the morning.

"We came here last year, together, and we decided it was beautiful, so we decided to get married here," Cara said, adding they were hoping to find "their song" by attending the festival for the rest of the day.

Sunday was the only day without rain during the weekend, and the stellar weather was matched by incredible performances by the likes of Catherine MacLellan and a surprise set by Mariposa favourite Irish Mythen. Earlier in the day, the latest commemorative leaf honouring the songs of Orillia native Gordon Lightfoot was unveiled along the trail in the park.

Lightfoot -- who actually didn't pass his first audition for Mariposa -- has become a staple of the festival in the past few years, almost always treating the crowd to an impromptu set sometime during the weekend. This year was no different.

After a brief but heavy rain storm early Saturday evening brought back memories from the downpour from the night before, the clouds parted and the sun shone. Lightfoot soon emerged to huge applause on the Mariposa main stage. Sunday, he was able to reflect on his connection to the festival synonymous with his hometown.

"I've gotten more involved in the last two or three years, just by feeling I should take more interest in the event," Lightfoot said. "I always enjoyed it when I would come here."
Old 07-28-2016, 05:26 PM   #22
T.G.

T.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:11 PM   #23
charlene

Singer songwriter Dave Gunning: A Mariposa 2016 moment: Gordon Lightfoot played a surprise 3 song "tweener" set on the Mainstage right before my set. Certainly a moment I will not forget. 20 years ago I started my "full-time" music career and if you'd told me back then that I'd be following my hero singing "If You Could Read My Mind" I would not have believed it. I'm so very fortunate. Thanks to all at the Mariposa Folk Festival in beautiful Orillia Ontario, the hometown of Gordon Lightfoot.