banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk

Old 04-27-2009, 09:18 PM   #1
Borderstone

Default Besides Gordon,other acts (even actors) you've met in person.

Hi all! Long time no post for me. Then again I have been a bizzy "B" with my job

I just thought of this topic and am on my bro's PC. He was nice enough to let me use it!

Anyway,to clarify,seeing a music act in concert does not count as meeting them! LOL!

Aside from GL , these are my scant few :

Wolfman Jack 1983
Fred "Rerun" Berry of What's Happening 1994
Warren Zevon 1995
Alice Cooper )Then again,who in Arizona hasn't met him?? He lives here! Ha=ha. 1995

I'm wondering if I can count Colin Hay,lead singer of Men At Work,who from the stage gave me thumbs up to my hand drawn picture of their album cover??

Oh and Mariah!!! Oh,sorry....still dreamin' ! LOL!
Old 04-28-2009, 05:05 AM   #2
joveski

Default Re: Besides Gordon,other acts (even actors) you've met in person.

call me a stalker, but:

jeff tweedy
john fogerty
roger waters
billy joel
andrea corr
weird al yankovich
ed kuepper
chris bailey
the waifs
johnny diesel
jimmy barnes
ian moss
matt taylor

and some others i cant remember. oh yeah, bob dylan waved and smiled to me from a distant but i didnt "meet" him
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:14 PM   #3
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Other than Gordon,Jenney and my wife the only celebrity I have ever met was the famous UK proponent of true New Orleans "traditonal jazz",Ken Colyer.Ken usually known as "The Governor" formed a band that at various times included Chris Barber, Monty Sunshine,Lonnie Donegan and Bernard "Acker" Bilk.Anyway one Saturday evening my good friend Russ King and I attended an evening with Ken in a nearby town, before a break Ken had played one
of Russ's favoUrites fittingly called "Walking With The King"
During the break Russ and myself availed ourselves of the
chance to visit the little boy's room,and found ourselves pointing Percy at the porcelain on either side of Ken.Russ thanked him for playing "his" song,he must have confused Ken because after the break Ken announced that he had had a request and proceeded to playing "Walking With The King" again
There is a splendid website in Ken's honoUr with a complete section detailing his autobiography at
http://www.kencolyertrust.org/dreamsindex.html
Oops nearly forgot the Saturday Massey Hall concert in 2006 where at the end I was able to have few words with and shake the hands of both Red Shea and Ronnie Hawkins who had been sitting about 4 rows behind me

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:01 PM   #4
charlene

off the top of my head:

Pierre Trudeau - while he was Prime Minister of Canada
Sean Green - Toronto Blue Jay
Carlos Degado - Blue Jay
Jose Cruz - Blue Jay
Darryl Sittler - Toronto Maple Leaf
Bobby Baun - Toronto Maple Leaf
Johnny Bower - Toronto Maple Leaf
Mike Gartner - Toronto Maple Leaf
Peter Zezel - Toronto Maple leaf
Jean Beliveau - Montreal Canadien
Ron Sexsmith - Canadian Musician
Ernie Coombs - Mr. Dressup (kids TV entertainer)
Fred Penner - (kids TV entertainer)
Sonny Bono
Paul Brandt - Canadian Country music
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:29 PM   #5
johnfowles

Oops I forgot another celebrity I have met
In my class at school in Sherborne were two boys.
One Bob Common eventually married an irish lass and lived in the local village of Yetminster
In due course she founded the Yetminster Irish Song and Dance Society
and need a band to play for the dancers
She got her husband to rope in three other younger lads from our school including the younger brother,Bonnie, of another of my classmates George Sartin,with Bob on drums and providing much of the humoUr until he left in 1979
Bonnie became the lead singer and the band has been in business for 42 years.
In my 30 years in Sherborne I went to many barn dances at which they provided superb music, with Bonnie doing the calling http://www.theyetties.co.uk/history.php

when I moved in 1982 I found myself for the next 19 years living almost opposite Bonnie
Here is one example of their style

That's Bonnie on the right

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm

Last edited by johnfowles; 04-29-2009 at 12:31 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:37 PM   #6
RM

I served pie and coffee to Marty Robbins. Does that count ?
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:57 PM   #7
charlene

yes, yes it does.
what kind of pie?
Old 04-29-2009, 01:29 PM   #8
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
I served pie and coffee to Marty Robbins. Does that count ?
I dunno 'bout that but I guess it would count IF you were wearing
A White Sport Coat (AND a Pink Carnation)

Or if you'd prefer it in coloUr

I meant no one no harm

Last edited by johnfowles; 04-29-2009 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Added a coloUr version
Old 04-29-2009, 03:26 PM   #9
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
yes, yes it does.
what kind of pie?
Cherry. I remember it well because my ex father-in-law was a HUGE Robbins fan, and I couldn't wait to tell him about it. Robbins was very pleasant.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:27 PM   #10
fezo

A friend of mine up your way is a friend or Mr. Big Bird.

Let's see....

Linda Ronstadt - along with Sneaky Pete Kleinow and other band members was just getting out of Carnegie Hall where we'd just seen them

Betty White and Allen Ludden - they were parked next to us at a Yale football game in the late 60s

Rodney Crowell - after a show. Very nice guy.

Radney Foster - Same deal.

John Stewart - several times after shows

Several of the 96 New York Mets when my brother won a raffle that got us on the field for batting practice. Not a memorable team but hey...

Peter Yarrow - after a show

The Chad Mitchell Trio - same show

Tom Paxton - several shows. I own one of his former guitars. I'm playing it on my CD cover.

I know there's more...
fezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:02 PM   #11
fezo

The guitar story is great. I first met him after a show at the Bottom Line in NYC in 1982. (Double bill of John Hartford and Tom Paxton - hard to hate. Oh, yeah - I met John Hartford a couple times. He dictated words to a song I wanted while he set up for a show and I wrote frantically on a napkin...) I was itching for a different guitar... I get talking to Tom who is naturally selling records - yes, big black vinyl things - and mention the guitar he was playing. He lights up "isn't it sweet?" "Yeah, I'm looking to buy something like that." "Well, I'm looking to sell something like that."...

Turns out he had a Martind M-38. Wonderful guitar. Well, Republic Airline broke the neck on the thing (this is immortalized in song in "Thank You Republic Airlines"). Tom needed an emergency guitar in a hurry and Matt Uminov in the city came up with a M-36 - very similar guitar but not as fancy looking. Tom played that while his M-38 got repaired. After a bit as a reward for having turned so many people toward Martin guitars they gave him another M-38. At that point he'd decided he didn't need the M-36. He put the M-36 up on consignment at Uminov's the day before. Said go in and buy it. If I knew this would come up I'd have brought it here. Next day I bought it.

Meeting folkie type musicians has become insanely easy since they all have stuff to sell...

The only one that would recognize me on the street is a Canadian songwriter by the name of Fred Eaglesmith. I discovered him back in 96. He's insulted me from the stage and everything. You really feel you've made it at that point....

I have eyt to see in person, even in a big crowd, a President. I have met Bill Bradley several times. He lost the fight for the nomination because Al Gore had more charisma. That's saying something.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:57 PM   #12
Don Quixote

I haven't met that many famous people, personally. I met Bob Cousy, Celtic's great, when I was a kid, comedian and Dick Gregory, and a few years ago I shook Pete Seeger's hand, but that's about all when it comes to performers. I did meet another famous person back in 2000. I was getting on the plane to go back home from Mexico City (I was down there to do some tourism and to check out the presidential elections, the first ever that were anything like democratic), and was stowing my carryon in the overhead compartment, when there was some sort of commotion. One of the international observers to the election (to see if really was a fair vote) came on behind me--ex-President Jimmy Carter. We had just a moment to say hello and chat for a couple of seconds about the election. After that, the goons (uh, secret service) whisked him up into first class. After a little while he came down the aisles and shook everyone's hand and greeted them in English and not-so-great Spanish.
DQ
Don Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:07 PM   #13
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Quixote View Post
I was getting on the plane to go back home from Mexico City
If I remember correctly, you spend a good deal of time in Mexico. What's your take on the 'swine flu' ? Are we all going to die ?

(I consider this post to be one of my finest attempts to derail a thread)
Old 05-01-2009, 02:06 PM   #14
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
If I remember correctly, you spend a good deal of time in Mexico. What's your take on the 'swine flu' ? Are we all going to die ?

(I consider this post to be one of my finest attempts to derail a thread)
Old 05-01-2009, 02:06 PM   #15
johnfowles

In 1988 I spent some time visiting a sick ex workmate in Montreal.
I think I had flown in to the old airport, sorry Aeroport International Airport at Dorval
near to where I had lived in 1964-1965 and had worked as one of the 5 Rolls-Royce "Service" Engineers looking after the requirements of Air Canada
To fly back to the UK in those days meant traipsing North out of the city to the newer Mirabel airport
Once there I found that instead of extending "jetways" linking the terminal to the aeroplane one boarded a "Mobile Lounge"

which carried the passengers to the aeroplane. where a complex system of levers would elevate it to the plane's door height.
Queueing up to get on this monster I realised that the gent in front of me was the Canadian actor and father of 24's Keifer, Donald Sutherland. I should have said hello to him then but thought I should wait until we were on the Lounge. Alas the lounge was split in two and Donald went off to the first class side whilst I joined the plebs in the economy side

I meant no one no harm

Old 05-01-2009, 02:25 PM   #16
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
Thank you Ma'am. I"m really quite proud of that effort.

Okay.....back on topic : (this cannot possibly count)

I once delivered room service to Flip Wilson. He didn't answer, but one of his kids did.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:07 PM   #17
fezo

That's pretty close to not counting....

OK. Remember Pepino the Italian Mouse? Dumb novelty song from the early 60s. Was number one for a couple of weeks which speak volumes about music at that point. The guy that did it was Lou Monte who was kind of like in the junior Rat Pack. They weren't any younger than Sinatra and the crowd - more like the AA team instead of the majors.

Anyway, Lou lived in the next town over for us and for quite a while would come over along with several other guys once a week to play poker with my dad. Once Pepino hit he got too busy for which dad never forgave him.... somewhere i have an autographed copy of the record...
Old 05-01-2009, 03:58 PM   #18
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezo View Post
Remember Pepino the Italian Mouse? Dumb novelty song from the early 60s.

No but I do remember with distaste Ed Sullivan's stoopid pal Topo Gigio

("Louie Mouse") grr the wiki says he is "the spokes-mouse" for the United Nations

it's a moot point which of the two mice is the dumber and more annoying!!

I meant no one no harm

Old 05-01-2009, 05:11 PM   #19
Don Quixote

Just to answer Char's question:
I don't think we're all going to die. First of all, not that many people have died in Mexico, where the epicenter seems to be. Also, many of those people that have died or gotten very ill probably delayed getting it attended to, because of lack of resources and good medical attention (there are some very good MD's and hospitals in Mexico, but in the poorer districts health care is very iffy). Also, many people have as their first choice in medicine not a doctor, but a nurse or even a "curandero" ("healer"). Many years ago, my mother-in-law was visiting us in Mexico when she took a tumble and hurt her ankle. We wanted to have a professional look at it, but our friends called in this guy who tried to help her by "taking the heat out of the joint", and giving her some herbs. Naturally, we took a taxi to the hospital and found out that she had chipped a bone in her ankle.

I'm not very worried, but my wife and I have decided to put off our trip (scheduled for next month)--mostly because of my wife. A couple of big problems are that the way air travel works in Mexico, the vast majority of flights get funneled through Mexico City, where some of the worst problems are. Therefore, anyone traveling by air through almost any part of Mexico will end up the capital, where they can be exposed to the flu from someone who is basically just there for a layover. Travel in the subways is also very crowded, and would be a great breeding-ground for something like this, and there is a subway stop that leads right to the airport.

It's tough for Mexico...they make a large percentage of their GDP on tourism; their economy is already in very deep recession because they usually reflect the U.S.'s economy, but more so. After all of this is over, I'd recommend travel in Mexico--it's bound to be cheap, and the local tourist economies will be grateful for your business!

DQ
Don Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 05:24 PM   #20
charlene

[QUOTE=RM;151566]If I remember correctly, you spend a good deal of time in Mexico. What's your take on the 'swine flu' ? Are we all going to die ?

QUOTE]

Just want to clarify: thread derailer RM asked the question..

better to stay safe DQ.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:30 PM   #21
RM

Quote:

Just want to clarify: thread derailer RM asked the question..

better to stay safe DQ.
Yes, I did ask the question. (I can't believe IT WORKED !!!)

DQ,

Thank you very much for the response, and do play it safe.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:33 PM   #22
Patti

Back in the 60's, I met Grandpa Ken, a children's show host from the Twin Cities. I knew some girls, Vicki and Micki, that used to be neighbors of mine, then they moved and became neighbors of his. One day, when we were visiting them, some of us kids went over and knocked on his door, and he gave us an autographed picture.
Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:59 PM   #23
Nightingale

Hmmm...let's see, I met Sam Kennison outside a hotel in Cincinnati...Don Henley, all of the Moody Blues (past and present) Peter Noone from Herman's Hermits.
I can't think of anyone else right now.

Does Elvira count?
into the broad ocean..."

G. Lightfoot "Tattoo"
Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:21 AM   #24
joveski

was Henley friendly?... i've heard he can be a bit of an arsehole towards fans. i love his music though!
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:54 AM   #25
fezo

The kiddies show host bit reminds me. In the NYC area when I was a kid there was a show called Terrytoon Circus with the host Claude Kirshner. My mom and grandmother took us to see him opening a store over in Paramus. Boy, was that guy tall! I got an autographed Cocoa Marsh hat!

My dad had a little grocery store when i was a kid. One day he had Aunt Jemima out there.