banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-06-2005, 12:27 AM   #1
Nilda266

Hello. I'm new here. Just stumbled on to this site a few days ago and I've been reading as many posts as I can. Honestly, I never thought I could see so many people with the same adoration for GL as I do. Just to hear some of these song titles (Mother of a Miners Child) brings joy and memories back to my heart. My h likes country and my 3 teenage sons like well, gangsta rap, top 40, and punk rock. Where did I go wrong?

I grew up listening to Gordon Lightfoot and faithfully got ever album up to Salute. I really need to catch up don't I?

When I hear any of his songs on the radio, I simply want to shout to anyone around me. "Hey pay attention! This is a great song! Listen!" But I just try to enjoy the moment. I'm glad to be here.
Nilda266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 12:27 AM   #2
Sentimental

Hello. I'm new here. Just stumbled on to this site a few days ago and I've been reading as many posts as I can. Honestly, I never thought I could see so many people with the same adoration for GL as I do. Just to hear some of these song titles (Mother of a Miners Child) brings joy and memories back to my heart. My h likes country and my 3 teenage sons like well, gangsta rap, top 40, and punk rock. Where did I go wrong?

I grew up listening to Gordon Lightfoot and faithfully got ever album up to Salute. I really need to catch up don't I?

When I hear any of his songs on the radio, I simply want to shout to anyone around me. "Hey pay attention! This is a great song! Listen!" But I just try to enjoy the moment. I'm glad to be here.
Sentimental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 01:47 AM   #3
Janice

Welcome, Sentimental! You will definitely find a lot of like-minded people here.
Janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 04:54 AM   #4
SilverHeels

Welcome, Sentimental!
Glad you found your way back home.
SilverHeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 07:38 AM   #5
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

quote:Originally posted by Sentimental:

I'm glad to be here.

Welcome aboard - yes it's time to start shopping - have fun !

Bill

BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 10:13 AM   #6
Sentimental

Thanks for the warm welcome. I've been lucky enough to see GL in concert 4 times. First in Spokane, Wash in 1974?. I was 15 and I had tickets to both shows, about 3 rows from the front. I waited backstage forever to meet him, finally he came out and I got to say hello. I was so star struck. He said something to me and for the life of me, I just didn't hear what he said. I didn't want to say "Huh?" so I just smiled and he went on. I still wonder what he said.

Then I saw him again in 76, I believe. It was in Vancover. Then all the way to 85 in Kansa City. Then the last time I saw his face was in Columbia Mo a few years ago. It was wonderful, he sang everything and even took requests. It was great.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:33 AM   #7
fowlesjohn

welcome sentimental,
you have seen the man in concert quite a few times that is very good! Hopefully you will see him again soon.
fowlesjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 11:33 AM   #8
gwen snyder

welcome sentimental,
you have seen the man in concert quite a few times that is very good! Hopefully you will see him again soon.
gwen snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 05:26 PM   #9
WortUore

Welcome, Sentimental.

I happily stumbled upon this site a few months ago. Yes, it is great to find other people with the same love and appreciation of GL's music as yourself. You will really enjoy visiting and posting on this site. The other people who post here all seem really friendly and nice. I get the same feeling from visiting here as I do from listening to GL's music -- a sense of warmth and comfort.
Old 02-06-2005, 05:26 PM   #10
GJM

Welcome, Sentimental.

I happily stumbled upon this site a few months ago. Yes, it is great to find other people with the same love and appreciation of GL's music as yourself. You will really enjoy visiting and posting on this site. The other people who post here all seem really friendly and nice. I get the same feeling from visiting here as I do from listening to GL's music -- a sense of warmth and comfort.
GJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 07:22 PM   #11
silenceandsound86

Hi Sentimental,

I seem to keep doing this, but I must SERIOUSLY encourage you to buy Songbook. It is the most incredible set you can find. All sorts of amazing, never-before released songs, comments by the man himself about them. You will love it, I guarantee it!
Welcome,

Rona
silenceandsound86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 07:22 PM   #12
Rona

Hi Sentimental,

I seem to keep doing this, but I must SERIOUSLY encourage you to buy Songbook. It is the most incredible set you can find. All sorts of amazing, never-before released songs, comments by the man himself about them. You will love it, I guarantee it!
Welcome,

Rona
Rona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 08:26 PM   #13
LSH

Welcome Sentimental. I think a lot of us thought we were alone til we found this site. It's nice to have a place to go where others share the love you have of the music.
Again, welcome, it's good to have you here.
LSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 08:57 PM   #14
Sentimental

Thanks everyone, I DO feel welcome.

Are there any recordings of GL singing Tennessee Stud? I know he didn't write it but I've heard him sing it in concert and I loved his version of it.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:41 PM   #15
Tyler

Welcome! You are in the right place. I agree with Rona, gotta get the Songbook set I think I just about wore mine out.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 09:41 PM   #16
brink

Welcome! You are in the right place. I agree with Rona, gotta get the Songbook set I think I just about wore mine out.
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 02:45 AM   #17
Sheryl Klein

Welcome, Sentimental! John, dear, would you please let her know about our wonderful chat room? You have that great fast link thingee going on... !!

So, Sentimental, please free to post to your heart's content and enjoy freely!
Old 02-07-2005, 02:45 AM   #18
Sheryl Klein

Welcome, Sentimental! John, dear, would you please let her know about our wonderful chat room? You have that great fast link thingee going on... !!

Old 02-07-2005, 09:05 AM   #19
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

quote:Originally posted by Sheryl Klein:

Certainly Sheryl. Sentimental keep an eye out for my weekly reminder that I add to every friday my topic on the past week's highlights which includes the link and the time:- http://www.corfid.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002411.html
And Sentimental please send me an email so that I can give you a useful answer to your question fowlesjohn @hotmail.com
and let us all know what sort of goods your shop sells and can we buy on line??
John Fowles
How can a fat chance and a slim chance be the same??
copyright Richard Lederer

johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 09:05 AM   #20
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

quote:Originally posted by Sheryl Klein:

Certainly Sheryl. Sentimental keep an eye out for my weekly reminder that I add to every friday my topic on the past week's highlights which includes the link and the time:- http://www.corfid.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002411.html
And Sentimental please send me an email so that I can give you a useful answer to your question fowlesjohn @hotmail.com
and let us all know what sort of goods your shop sells and can we buy on line??
John Fowles
How can a fat chance and a slim chance be the same??
copyright Richard Lederer

johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 01:52 PM   #21
Gord

Are there any recordings of GL singing Tennessee Stud? I know he didn't write it but I've heard him sing it in concert and I loved his version of it.

There is no official recording of Tennesse Stud, it does exist in some people's private collections however.

Old 02-07-2005, 01:52 PM   #22
Gord

There is no official recording of Tennesse Stud, it does exist in some people's private collections however.

Old 02-07-2005, 02:18 PM   #23
Sentimental

Too bad about no official recordings of that song. Just curious really.

Thanks for asking about my shop. It's a little, and I do mean little (~800sq') vintage boutique in a wonderful 1895 building just off a downtown square. I'm just getting a website set up and soon there will be online buying. Should have been done months ago, but I'm slow to learn these things. John, how do you know this already?

I do have a GL poster in my storage room, I bought it off ebay. It's probably a repro but I still like it.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:06 PM   #24
charlene

your profile says "shop owner"

char
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 04:06 PM   #25
charlene

your profile says "shop owner"

char
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote