banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 03-31-2014, 05:58 PM   #1
Affair on Touhy Ave.

Default Underated?

Not that I feel that way about Gordon.I think the term underated or overrated tends to be thrown around a lot.

Personally I don't think he is, he's not an obscure artist, but someone said that once about Gord on another message board I use to be a part of said he is and still don't get what he meant.
Affair on Touhy Ave. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:21 PM   #2
charlene

Default Re: Underated?

I imagine it's been said because he's not a super star of Neil Young's magnitude or Denver/Chap/Taylor sorts...He's not obscure but his name doesn't jump out in most people's minds..
http://www.robertmorganfisher.com/music.html
In a few discussions with Robert Morgan Fisher about Lightfoot: He's a folk warrior who gave his life to song. There will never be another like him.
: "I think it's no exaggeration to say Gordon Lightfoot is one of the most important artists of the 20th century."
: "My broader point is that the Don Quixote album was a real watershed for me. Not exactly "the first album I bought" (as Colbert joked--or maybe not a joke because Colbert is eminently hip), but it was one of the first 5 albums I bought certainly and, more importantly, the first one where I was able to purchase a songbook with ALL the songs in it (actual leadsheets by Gord', of course--he's such a great arranger) and I learned ALL the songs precisely. A perfect record in every sense and Beatle-esque in its arrangement and conception."
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:29 PM   #3
Affair on Touhy Ave.

Yeah but Neal though he's done folk like songs he has more of a reputation as a rock artist.

So I think the comparison is a bit off.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:26 PM   #4
charlene

To me Neil Young is a folk artist..

but we're talking recognition not musical styles..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:09 AM   #5
paskatefan

I think he is underated in the sense that most people only know him for a few songs. Granted, he's not a "hit singles" artist. To fully appreciate him, you've got to know much more of his repertoire. Most of my favorite songs of his are the other CD tracks, the ones you'd probably never hear on the radio. I try to spread the word to my friends, whom I think would appreciate his music. We're treating another friend to his concert in Aston, PA this summer. She knows a few of his songs, but I think hearing lots of the others in concert will open her up to just how good he is.
paskatefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:46 PM   #6
Affair on Touhy Ave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paskatefan View Post
I think he is underated in the sense that most people only know him for a few songs. Granted, he's not a "hit singles" artist. To fully appreciate him, you've got to know much more of his repertoire. Most of my favorite songs of his are the other CD tracks, the ones you'd probably never hear on the radio. I try to spread the word to my friends, whom I think would appreciate his music. We're treating another friend to his concert in Aston, PA this summer. She knows a few of his songs, but I think hearing lots of the others in concert will open her up to just how good he is.

Don't forget Gordon did have a few hit singles in the 70s.

Plus someone like Tim Hardin was probably a lot less known and more people know Darin's version of "If I Were A Carpenter" than the man who wrote it.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:11 PM   #7
Patti

Did anyone check out Neil Young's PONO?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...iscovers-music
Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:18 PM   #8
Affair on Touhy Ave.

Can we please stay on the subject?
Old 04-02-2014, 01:22 AM   #9
Patti

Ok, sure. The subject is "Underated?". Someone said he was underated, and you still don't get what he meant. Who knows? Not me.

Everyone isn't always so rigid on the subject. Someone mentioned Neil Yung, etc.

Speaking of underated, and for a while there, the pono seemed somewhat underated too. Maybe put some Lightfoot music on the pono thing, then.
Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:29 AM   #10
paskatefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Affair on Touhy Ave. View Post
Don't forget Gordon did have a few hit singles in the 70s.
Of course, and my friend certainly knows those songs!

Then there is the point that he has written songs that others have recorded. I point out to my friends that Gordon wrote the song(s) in that case. Well, I'm glad that he was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame. Too bad he never won a Grammy, but @ least he was nominated (glad he has some Juno awards and other honors in Canada).
paskatefan is offline   Reply With Quote