banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-22-2012, 06:48 PM   #1
charlene

Default Lightfoot to perform@Benefit-Renascent House-11-2012

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1076...ent-foundation

November 22, 2012 1:09 PM

Media Advisory: Gordon Lightfoot and Oliver Pigott perform at benefit for Renascent Foundation

TORONTO, Nov. 22, 2012 /CNW/ - Renascent Foundation is pleased to announce the upcoming event Walk You To The Water: An Evening to Inspire at Glenn Gould Studio in Toronto. The reception and special performances launch the Foundation's new Friends of Renascent Concert Series

Where:
Glenn Gould Studio,
CBC Centre, 250 Front Street West

When:
Tuesday, December 4, 2012
6:00pm, reception and hors d'oevres
7:30pm, remarks and musical program

The evening will feature the extraordinary, iconic singer/songwriter, Gordon Lightfoot. A long-time supporter and friend of Renascent, we are grateful and proud to present this intimate performance of an incomparable talent.

Also performing will be Canadian Idol finalist and another friend of Renascent, Oliver Pigott.

This evening also allows us to pay tribute to Rena Scheffer, our Senior Director of Development, who we lost tragically this month, but whose work, spirit, and legacy lives on.

Tickets are available to the general public, $250pp, through the Roy Thompson Hall Box Office, www.renascent.ca/tickets or 416-872-4255

Media are also invited to attend.

About Renascent (www.renascent.ca)
Renascent operates four treatment centres in Toronto and Durham region and facilitates recovery, education and prevention relating to alcohol and drug addiction through a continuum of programs and services for individuals, families and organizations.

SOURCE: Renascent
For further information:
Please contact:
Scott Russell, Manager, Communications
Renascent
416-847-6444
srussell@renascent.ca
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:30 AM   #2
T.G.

Default Re: Lightfoot to perform @ Benefit-Renascent House

Shoot ... the local radio station announced a contest to score tickets for this but I heard it just as I woke up this morning and was too groggy to take in the instructions LOL ...

http://www.oldies1150.com/Blog/TedYa...tryID=10473717

Wanna See Gordon Lightfoot Tues Night? Listen Mon. Morning.
Posted By: Ted Yates tyates@astral.com http://www.oldies1150.com/Personalit...spx?ID=1264379 · 12/2/2012 5:16:00 PM

Listen Monday morning sometime between 7am and 8:15 to win tickets to see the legendary Gordon Lightfoot perform Tuesday night in Toronto at the Glenn Gould Studio. Join me Monday morning and I'll tell you how you can instantly win the tickets!
T.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #3
charlene

It will be the trio, Lightfoot with Carter and Rick performing 3 songs approximately..There are other performers on the bill. The Glenn Gould is a lovely theatre ..
Old 12-03-2012, 02:23 PM   #4
charlene

http://www.samaritanmag.com/1440/ren...concert-series

article (2012) and pic (1991).

Renascent Drug And Alcohol Treatment Centre Launches Concert Series
You are here
Home
By Kerry Doole | www.samaritanmag.com
Posted on December 3, 2012

Gordon Lightfoot arrives for the ribbon cutting of Renascent's men's treatment centre, on Toronto's Madison Ave. in 1991
You could call Dr. Patrick Smith a Renascent man. An acknowledged authority in the field of addiction treatment, he took over the reins of Renascent as CEO a year ago. Renascent describes itself as "Canada’s leading alcohol and drug treatment centre.” It operates four treatment centres in the Greater Toronto Area: The Lillian and Don Wright Family Health Centre (also Renascent's head office), the Graham Munro Centre (for woman) and the Punanai Centre and Paul J. Sullivan Centre (both for men).

According to its literature, Renascent "facilitates recovery, education and prevention relating to alcohol and drug addictions through a continuum of programs and services for individuals, families and organizations." Since 1970, more than 40,000 people have participated in its residential treatment program.

A crucial facet of Renascent's treatment programs is that noone is turned away for lack of financial resources. "That is where the rubber hits the road," Dr. Smith tells Samaritanmag. "We do get partial government funding just for the component of our 21-day program. Even with that, every single person who comes through our program has a guardian angel somewhere paying the $1,400 to help them access that service.”

As such, Renascent is heavily dependent on revenue from fundraising events, in order for patients to access the full program. One of the key initiatives Dr. Smith has formulated there is the new Friends of Renascent concert series. "The series is designed to reach out to communities as well as to raise funds,” he says.

Called Walk You To The Water; An Evening To Inspire, the inaugural concert Dec. 4 at Toronto’s intimate Glenn Gould Studio features Canadian music icon Gordon Lightfoot. Some 340 patrons paid $250 a ticket and all proceeds go to Renascent. Lightfoot made his first visit to Renascent's men's treatment centre in 1991 when he was invited to cut the ribbon at the opening of the facility on Madison Ave.

Lightfoot wasn’t available to talk about his commitment to Renascent for more than two decades or why. In an email through his manager to Samaritanmag, he simply said, "I was invited to attend their opening ceremonies and I was impressed with the new facility.”

In 2001, Lightfoot was the surprise celebrity guest at what was then one of Renascent's major fundraising events, the Guess Who's Coming To Dinner Gala. His continued support since then has been so strong that this year Renascent awarded Lightfoot one of its inaugural Peter Armstrong Community Awards for Excellence.

“The award honours one of our longstanding board members for his leadership,” Dr. Smith explains. “But it also recognizes community supporters of the enhancement of understanding of or response to addictions in Canada. Gordon Lightfoot was an award recipient for his longstanding philanthropic support."

Also on the bill on Dec. 4 is Toronto singer Oliver Piggott, half of the duo The Piggott Brothers. Both Oliver and Sebastian Piggott received an Armstrong Award for their contributions to Renascent's recent anti-stigma campaign. "We have a 'Don't Let Addiction Define You' campaign, and it incorporates a TV commercial," says Dr. Smith. "Oliver Piggott donated a song he had written, 'Walk Me To The Water,' for the commercial, and it fit perfectly. He and his brother Sebastian also did a public service announcement for us."

Dr. Smith notes that members of the music and arts community have been very encouraging of Renascent's work. "Many of them have gone through treatment and are in recovery. Some of them did not access those treatments in Canada, but at places like the Betty Ford Clinic and Hazelden in the U.S.. They had the financial means, and now they see Renascent as a place that can provide that for all Canadians.

“Our belief, and the evidence agrees, is that if someone only accesses that component and not our complete care program and the other services provided, then it is not a proper therapeutic dose. If I was a physician, I wouldn't give a prescription for a full course of antibiotics then expect someone to only take it for three days, cross their fingers and hope it works. We believe very strongly in the complete care program."

Another defining characteristic of Renascent's work is providing abstinence-based treatment. Explains Dr. Smith, “In the whole movement into expanding services, including harm reduction services, we feel the pendulum has swung a little far. While there is a need for a full range of services, the commitment to abstinence-based treatment programs has really suffered in Canada over the last number of years."

Renascent CEO Dr. Patrick Smith makes some friends in the children's room of the Lillian and Don Wright Family Health Centre (photo credit: Jessica Blaine Smith)
As co-chair of Canada's National Addictions Treatment Strategy, Dr. Smith has studied the subject rigorously. "Renascent has a long-standing history of being very much a clinical treatment program, while also emphasizing the importance of the ongoing support that the individuals can get out in the community in the 12 step programs," he says. "The clinical treatment and health services that we can provide are only part of the big picture approach to helping someone maintain and thrive in recovery."

At Renascent, all frontline counsellors are themselves in recovery, as well as being trained and certified addiction counsellors. Another key part of the Renascent strategy is to involve families and workplaces where appropriate.

“We have an intensive four-day children's program,” says Dr. Smith. “Some kids have a parent who is in longer-term or early recovery, some have parents still at home drinking. Our focus is to teach them about the disease of addiction their parent is struggling with. I call it a psycho-social support. I was a co-therapist on a program in July, and it was one of the most intensive programs I've ever been part of."

Across Canada, Renascent offers what they term a Workplace Solutions program. "That is specialized treatment that supports employees," says Dr. Smith. "A corporation or firm can support that individual with an alcohol or drug problem. They pay for them to come to us, and in addition to the clinical treatment we provide support for the individual in their return to work. We do training in the workplace, helping the HR staff and others to be able to make that transition."

The success rate of that program and the complete care treatment is impressive. 71.4 per cent of clients who completed at least the primary and continuing care components of Renascent Complete Care are clean and sober 24 months post-treatment. That figure is considered very high within this field. "That is better than most medical treatments for chronic disease," observes Dr. Smith.

In recent years, the biggest Renascent fundraising event has been an annual golf tournament entitled Recovery Shot, with Ford and Canadian Auto Workers as the founding sponsors. "Looking ahead, we'd like to see the Friends of Renascent concert series right up there with it," says Dr. Smith.

It is certainly off to a great start with the Gordon Lightfoot concert, one that will have a second mission. Helping Dr. Smith plan and organize the benefit was Renascent senior director of development Rena Scheffer. She was tragically killed in a car accident on Nov. 5, and Dr. Smith notes that "the evening has taken on a new meaning, to honour her life, spirit and work."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Renascent---Madison-Open----300x300.png
Views:	1125
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	5666  
Old 12-05-2012, 12:52 AM   #5
charlene

Just got home and THAT was quite the show... The Lightfoot Trio - Gord, Rick and Carter... 10 songs.. awesome.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:01 AM   #6
Sydney Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
Just got home and THAT was quite the show... The Lightfoot Trio - Gord, Rick and Carter... 10 songs.. awesome.
Hmmm - as if you thought you could get off that easy. Plus as if you didn't write them down.

So which 10 ?
Old 12-05-2012, 09:26 AM   #7
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney Steve View Post
It's coming Dave. Just gotta get myself together a bit. Was major league lagged /disorganised etc -still getting the house back in order.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney Steve View Post
Hmmm - as if you thought you could get off that easy.
So Hooligan you have time to be rude to your undeserivng recent host but have not yet had the courtesy of properly answering your fellow countryman
and don't blaim it on the fact that he lives in a superior city either

Last edited by johnfowles; 12-05-2012 at 04:22 PM.
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:23 AM   #8
charlene

LOL!
Ok - I won 2 tickets, (each worth $250.00) and found out at 4:30 last night when I came in from a whole day out of the house. Quickly changed and got on the train to Toronto and the 5 minute walk to the CBC building where the Glenn Gould Theatre is located just off the lobby. The last time I was in the building was for the art show accompanying the children's book depicting The Canadian Railroad Trilogy and the last time I was in the GG Theatre was for the memorial for Ernie Coombs, Mr. Dressup who died on Sept. 18, 2001. http://www.cbc.ca/gould/bio.html

It was bittersweet travelling across the lakefront on a record breaking very very warm,day on Dec.5. the 5th anniversary of Barry Harvey's death. I travelled this route on Dec.9,2007 to the memorial for Barry. http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showthread...t=barry+harvey

At the event prior to the show starting everyone mingled in the lobby area of the theatre having drinks and hors d'oeuvres. Entry to the theatre was @ 7:15 and at 7:30 introductions to key people involved in Renascent were made. The host mentioned how honoured they were to have Gordon Lightfoot, once again at their event and thanked him for his long stannding involvement and patronage. Singer/songwriter Oliver Pigott sang several tunes and an especially lovely song that accompanied a slide show of their much loved Senior Director of Development who tragically died in a car accident on Nov.5.Her family was in attendance to celebrate her life.

On the eve of his 87th birthday Dave Broadfoot, a comedian well known to Canadians introduced Gordon Lightfoot. It is one of several videos I took before the CBC camera cops stopped me. The hall holds around 340 people but I'd say that approximately 290-300 were in attendance. http://www.eventsource.ca/glenn-gould-studio

The Lightfoot Trio came onstage to a standing ovation, Rick, Carter and Gordon got right to the tunes.

SETLIST:

1. I'd Rather Press On
2. All The Lovely Ladies
3. Wild Strawberries
4. Never Too close
5. Shadows
6. Make Way For The Lady
7. Let It Ride

Band Intro

Gordon spoke of singing at the Grey Cup, taking 8 family members but not meeting Justin as he was in a separate green room in a different area. He also said he'd been listening to his music for a few years and admired him. "We didn't meet him but we met 'the girl' !".. Of course he meant Carly Rae Jepson and the audience, Rick and Carter had a good laugh when he kept saying, "we met the girl" as it was clear he couldn't remember her name....He then laughed when he thought of it and said when he thinks of it he always thinks of The Jetsons..lol

He thanked his old friend Dave Broadfoot for introducing him. He remembered a few years ago being at Big Chute at Port Severn and crossing the bridge over the cascading waters and coming across Dave there. He said he'd never, ever forget it. picture - http://marinas.com/view/lock/231_Big...vern_ON_Canada
Big Chute is Lock 44 of the Trent-Severn Waterway. It is the only marine railway of its kind in North America. It is about 30 minutes from Orillia on Georgian Bay. The area where he grew up and obviously still loves. http://www.northernontario.travel/bo...marine-railway

8. Restless - and once again I thought of Barry because he sang this song at Barry's memorial.
9. If You Could Read My Mind - Standing "O"
ENCORE
10. Beautiful

As the crowd left the theatre I made my way to the stage to say Hi to Warren and Bob (sound tech) and wish them a Merry Christmas. There will be no concert dates in January or February. It seems California and 2 in British Columbia will happen in March. Details are still being worked out for all dates in 2013. That's all I know...lol

I believe a small backstage reception was held for sponsors etc.
I had a train to catch for the 50 minute ride back home and made my way out onto Front Street and a very warm walk to the train station. My daughter Lisa came with me and wrote the setlist while I took the video and photos.

photos and videos to come....
Old 12-05-2012, 12:24 PM   #9
charlene

pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7458.jpg
Views:	605
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	5667   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7459.jpg
Views:	570
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	5668   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7471.jpg
Views:	622
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	5669   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7472.jpg
Views:	617
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	5670   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7473.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	5671  

Name:	IMG_7474.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	5672   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7475.jpg
Views:	612
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	5673   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7476.jpg
Views:	598
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	5674   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7477.jpg
Views:	612
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	5675   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7478.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	5676  

Old 12-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #10
charlene

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/338360

Renascent is one of the most successful alcoholism treatment centres in Canada with a 71 percent success rate 24 months post-treatment.
Hosted by actress Ali Liebert of the TV series The Bomb Girls the event raised funds the Renascent's programs.

The largest residential addiction treatment centre in Ontario, Renascent not only treats the recovering addict but the entire family. With counseling for all family members those who suffer from the damage that addiction brings can begin the healing process together. The cost of the program is not covered by provincial health plans. At least $1,200 is raised per person admitted to Primary Care. It is through the donations of Guardian Angels that patients can be treated.
Christine McNicol, Child and Youth Counsellor, spoke of the need of treating the whole family. McNicol knows the pain of growing up with an alcoholic parent. She later became an addict herself. Now in recovery for eight years McNicol will become the mother of twins in early 2013, something she never thought was possible.

"Children come to the 4-day intensive care program angry. At the end of the program they know that it's the disease of addiction that they hate, not the parent that suffers from it," McNicol told the audience, "We are breaking the cycle of addiction. I see it happening!"
During the pre-show reception Liebert confided that she knows the pain of addiction. A person close to her suffers with the issue. "I'm a recent supported of the program," said the Vancouver actress, "And I am so glad to be part of tonight's event."

2008 Canadian Idol finalist Oliver Pigott entertained the audience with several of his songs including Walk You To The Water, the title of the night's event. Dr. Patrick Smith, Chief Executive Officer of Renascent joined Pigott on stage entertaining the audience with a special song for Smith's birthday.

Smith and Rena Scheffer worked endlessly to make tonight's event perfect. Sadly on November 5 Sheffer, Senior Director of Development, was killed in a car accident. She was remembered during a moving tribute for her work with the centre. She was honoured for her spirit of life and her love of her family by Dr. Smith and a moving photo tribute.
After a fundraising opportunity the legendary Gordon Lightfoot was introduced by the equally legendary Dave Broadfoot. Broadfoot, a recipient of the Governor General's Performing Arts Award, is known for his comedic wit. He was a member of the Royal Canadian Air Farce for twenty years. Tuesday, a day before his 87th birthday, he left retirement for one night in order to introduce his friend and fellow Order of Canada member Gordon Lightfoot.

Lightfoot is an iconic singer. He has won 17 Juno Awards and was nominated 5 times for the Grammys. His latest performance was in November at the 100th Grey Cup. He has been a strong supporter of Renascent for years.

Lightfoot's voice is still strong, if not a bit shaky from age. He commanded the stage performing his classic tunes including his hit "If You Could Read My Mind."
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	140_4.JPG
Views:	524
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	7968  
Old 12-05-2012, 02:54 PM   #11
jj

just wonderful, char!

what a theatre

i like Gord's wardrobe and the set

i think they should keep the water bottles lower or camouflaged, lol

glad it was still quite mild for your jaunt along Front.... thx for nice pics!
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:07 PM   #12
brink-

Quote:
When was that picture taken? Looks like the white suit days.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:00 PM   #13
charlene

under the picture when you open the link to the story/pic it says 1991...do I have to do everything for you Shorty?

lordy...
Old 12-05-2012, 04:06 PM   #14
charlene

intro:

PLAYLIST of 7 videos @ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4fs...uOvg0ntp2Ny6b-
Old 12-05-2012, 04:07 PM   #15
charlene

I'D RATHER PRESS ON:
Old 12-05-2012, 04:08 PM   #16
charlene

ALL THE LOVELY LADIES:
Old 12-05-2012, 04:29 PM   #17
Sydney Steve

Quote:
under the picture when you open the link to the story/pic it says 1991...do I have to do everything for you Shorty?

lordy...
It's not nice to be rude to those who are somewhat impaired Char. You should take this into consideration (as I did recently by , for example, speaking more slowly so she understands ) . We all know she's not exactly quick on the uptake

Last edited by Sydney Steve; 12-05-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Sydney Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #18
charlene

lol...She's not going to be happy.. I hear the rumblings in the Rockies all the way here in Toronto...
Old 12-05-2012, 05:08 PM   #19
charlene

VIDEO - WILD STRAWBERRIES

Old 12-05-2012, 05:23 PM   #20
MaryO

Hooray! California concert dates! Hooray!
MaryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:01 PM   #21
charlene

VIDEO - NEVER TOO CLOSE:
Old 12-05-2012, 06:23 PM   #22
charlene

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1084...d-by-addiction
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20121205_C6652_PHOTO_EN_21616.jpg
Views:	597
Size:	252.7 KB
ID:	5677  
Old 12-05-2012, 06:54 PM   #23
charlene

VIDEO - MAKE WAY FOR THE LADY (almost all of it..the camera cops took over) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp1NJ...ature=youtu.be

Old 12-05-2012, 07:10 PM   #24
charlene

SHADOWS -
Old 12-05-2012, 07:17 PM   #25
Melissa

Awesome videos!
Thanks for posting those. .

And I'm glad he wasn't wearing the white suit. That would be from 1991.
<duck>

Melissa
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote