banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 12-26-2006, 09:48 AM   #1
Long River

Hello all. Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday. I have a bit of a problem. I'm always checking to see when Gord's coming to town & as soon as I find out I buy tickets for my husband, my dad & myself. Since I found out a few months ago that he'll be at the Keswick next April, my husband bought us 3 tickets. Good seats, I'm happy.

Now it's Christmas Eve & my family is exchanging gifts. My sister was thoughtful enough to remember how much I like Lightfoot, she gives us 2 tickets to his concert. I felt terrible. Everyone said that I can probably exchange them but it clearly states on the tickets & on the website "No Exchanges, No Refund".

The box office doesn't open until 10:00, but I'll call and explain it to them. Hopefully they will make an exception but in case they don't, does anyone have any suggestions. I really didn't want to go the Stubhub or ebay route. And I'm not looking to make any money from them, just face value. I'd even sell them without the $5.00 per ticket handling fee. They are really good seats too.

Thanks for any help. I don't post too often but have been a fan of his for decades and stop by here every once in a while.

[ December 26, 2006, 09:12: Message edited by: Long River ]
Long River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 11:43 AM   #2
Auburn Annie

Will they let you exchange them for tickets of the same value to another performer's concert at the same venue?

If not, how about donating them for a charity auction?

Or you can always place an ad in the classifieds offering them for sale at face value. Since the concert isn't until April there should be time enough.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 11:52 AM   #3
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

If you can't get a refund, just sit tight. Don't exchange for tickets to another concert unless you really want to go. There is essentially no way you won't be able to sell those at face value - probably the night of the concert. The concert is probably sold out (or will be), and you are holding good seats. It's very easy to sell them outside the theater. If you are selling at face value, you aren't scalping. You won't be arrested. Promise.

And, mention them here and at the newsgroup periodically between now and then. There are always folks who decide late in the game that they can make the concert.
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 11:53 AM   #4
Long River

Thanks for the suggestions. I just spoke with them & they will refund before the end of the year. I just have to have my sister drive down (about a 45 minute drive) cause she purchased it on a charge card and they don't do exchanges, have to refund first. Oh well, best intentions...

I know this sounds crazy but if there was a way, I would go twice, but since I'm only 1 person & it's the same night, doesn't quite work that way, eh?

[ December 26, 2006, 10:59: Message edited by: Long River ]
Old 12-26-2006, 07:55 PM   #5
phishfearme

event tickets are sold on ebay all the time! you can usually get full value or even more for most events. even if you don't, what'll it cost to drive 1 1/2 hours and park? good luck. - phish
phishfearme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 08:12 PM   #6
TheWatchman

No problem. If it were me, I'd give the tickets away to someone who would really appreciate them. They could make two people very happy who otherwise might not have been able to attend, will make you feel good to bless somebody, and you won't have to worry about how your gonna sell them and how much you can get for them.

You could even invite a couple of friends along for a nice evening with dinner followed with a great concert. I've done this on more than one occasion and made some memories that will last a lifetime, way above and far beyond the measly price that Lightfoot tickets fetch. Plus, a couple new Lightfoot fans were created in the process.

Good luck.
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 08:19 AM   #7
Long River

Thanks for the suggestions. I've mailed them back to my sister who will return them. I don't think I'd feel right giving her gift away to strangers. She spent way more on us then she should have (she also gave us tickets to 1964-The Tribute). Not that I wouldn't like to be generous and introduce someone to him but since it was a gift from her, it didn't seem quite right. I'd rather her keep the money cause she can use it, although she keeps insisting that I give her another idea.

Btw, does anyone know how he's doing?
Old 12-27-2006, 10:44 AM   #8
Gitchigumee

For Christmas I gave my brother-in-law (& sister) 2 tickets to a Vince Gill concert in February (had drawn his name). Spent about 4 times more than supposed to, but it was just too perfect an idea to let pass by. He was blown away! It was awesome! Only difference here is, I checked with my sister first to make sure the idea/dates would work for them. Just proves the point that the older we get, it becomes more fun to give than to receive.
"There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run. When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun. Long before the white man, and long before the wheel. When the green dark forest was too silent to be real."
Gitchigumee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 12:04 PM   #9
Long River

The funny thing is my sister asked me if my husband would like tickets to 1964-The Tribute (he's a big Beatles fan) before she bought them. But she didn't ask him about Lightfoot tickets for me. I even told her to buy 1 ticket for him & I'd buy the other since tickets are so expensive nowadays. I never would have dreamed she'd be getting two sets. I have a very sweet, generous family!
Old 12-27-2006, 12:33 PM   #10
Gitchigumee

LR-

I'm sure both concerts are going to be wonderful. We have much in common. My husband, too, is a huge Beatles fan, and I'm the big Lightfoot fan.

-GG
"There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run. When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun. Long before the white man, and long before the wheel. When the green dark forest was too silent to be real."
Gitchigumee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 10:34 PM   #11
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Alrighty then Long River,

Now that you've got that all ironed out it's time to start counting down, eh?

My wife & I will be there too and jbt1976 and formerlylavender should be there also. Don't be a stranger, we always take a picture under the Lightfoot Tonight sign out front. Where will you all be sittin' ?

Happy New Year,

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 12:27 AM   #12
TheWatchman

Quote:
Originally posted by Long River:
And I'm not looking to make any money from them, just face value. I'd even sell them without the $5.00 per ticket handling fee.

Quote:
I don't think I'd feel right giving her gift away to strangers. Not that I wouldn't like to be generous and introduce someone to him but since it was a gift from her, it didn't seem quite right.
Glad it all worked out for you. At least now you won't have to sell her gift to a complete stranger at a loss (minus the $5 handling fee per).

I was trying to reread this thread from beginning in case I was missing something then I noticed you deleted some of your first and seconds posts and possibly deleted another post entirely. I thought I was losing my mind because I knew I had read much more than I was reading the second time around.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:27 AM   #13
Long River

Hi Bill,
We'll be in row FF left. The seats my sister bought were AA, first row (actually 4th row) but all the way to the right. I like sitting on the left, seems a better vantage point to see him & not too close to the speakers. I'll try to remember to check out front for you guys. Do you stay after to meet him out back? I usually do. I'll tell you later about a funny (to me anyway) story that happened a few years ago.

Hi Watchman,
Actually I didn't delete or add anything, I just corrected a couple of misspellings or is that mispellings?? I didn't mind the $10.00 loss but if I had waited and by some odd chance they didn't sell that's $100 down the drain.

As far as giving them away, I guess I'm not as altrustic as some. I wouldn't want to give them to just anyone & then they'd be there talking throughout the show. It's bad enough with the bar in the back & the crowd that stands back there drinking & chatting throughout the performance.

Still wondering how he's doing since the transient stroke, better & better I hope.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:01 AM   #14
TheWatchman

Quote:

Hi Watchman,
As far as giving them away, I guess I'm not as altrustic as some. I wouldn't want to give them to just anyone & then they'd be there talking throughout the show. It's bad enough with the bar in the back & the crowd that stands back there drinking & chatting throughout the performance.

You don't give yourself enough credit. I would say your very altruistic, much more than I am because I never would have worried if someone that I gave tickets to (even friends like I suggested) would be talking during the show and annoying other people.