banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk

Old 10-18-2007, 09:08 AM   #1
Jesse Joe

Default Is Neil Young's Harvest the best Cdn. album ever?

Is Neil Young's Harvest the best Cdn. album ever?

N.B. author ranks the top classics in Canadian music

THE CANADIAN PRESS Published Thursday October 18th, 2007

Neil Young's classic disc "Harvest" tops a list of the 100 best Canadian albums, according to a new coffee-table book coming out today.
New Brunswick author and music lover Bob Mersereau polled nearly 600 musicians, critics, DJs and retailers to come up with a ranking of the country's best-loved discs for his book, "The Top 100 Canadian Albums" (Goose Lane Editions).
Joni Mitchell's "Blue" comes in at number 2, followed by Young's "After the Gold Rush." Rounding out the top five are the Band's "Music From Big Pink" and the Tragically Hip's "Fully Completely."
Mersereau admits the poll results are very much a "snapshot" of today's Canadian tastes rather than a definitive statement on the history of Canuck rock, and that the list will undoubtedly raise debate among anyone passionate about music.
"That's the whole fun," Mersereau says.
"The important part is to talk about Canadian music and enjoy it. This was tried to be a consensus of as many music people and music fans and big serious listeners across the country that have definite opinions. I'd be shocked if there wasn't complaints and arguments and debates. Half of my (own) list didn't make it."
A quick glance at the book reveals several repeat appearances by well-loved Canadian artists: Young comes up eight times, while the Guess Who, Mitchell and GORDON LIGHTFOOT each have five albums on the list. The Tragically Hip have four, while Sloan have three.
"I think it's legitimate that there are so many repeats.
I can't argue with any of these artists. I might prefer one over the other but I think it's really good to see albums like Joni Mitchell's 'Hissing of Summer Lawns,' which was career suicide when it came out," says Mersereau, a music writer and longtime arts reporter.
The tabulation was fairly simple, Mersereau explains in the introduction to the book, which also includes album artwork and new interviews with many of the musicians.
Each juror was asked to send in a list of their top 10 discs, using whatever criteria they wished. Each number 1 pick was awarded 10 points, with the number 2 choice given nine points, and so on.
A total of 580 responses were tallied, and Mersereau says he took pains to make sure they were drawn from a range of ages, regions and backgrounds.
"I didn't want this to be a music nerd book ... I wanted this to be something different," he adds.
"I wanted popularity to be in it, too, because we are talking about pop music even if it is Oscar Peterson or Glenn Gould. What's popular, what people want, what people like, that is often scorned in critical circles, yet there's a reason things are popular and there's a reason things stay popular like the Guess Who or April Wine. They have the ability to make us feel great and they become important memories for us through our whole lives."
Amid the classics are some modern sensations. Montreal supergroup the Arcade Fire come in at number 8 with 2004's "Funeral," while Broken Social Scene's 2002 disc "You Forgot It in People" lands at 28 and Feist's 2004 disc "Let It Die" is number 43.
"It wasn't just young people that were doing the votes for that, I had people like Stuart McLean, a CBC broadcaster, voting for Arcade Fire. Shocked me. I didn't know Stuart was that hip, but sure is."
Music lovers can debate their own favourites during a series of book launches to be held across the country over the next week.
Mersereau promises that a stop in Halifax this weekend will feature a special musical guest from the list.

Last edited by Jesse Joe; 10-18-2007 at 10:15 AM.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:09 AM   #2
podunklander

Default Re: Is Neil Young's Harvest the best Cdn. album ever?

Mersereau admits the poll results are very much a "snapshot" of today's Canadian tastes rather than a definitive statement on the history of Canuck rock, and that the list will undoubtedly raise debate among anyone passionate about music.

The above statement references the "history of Canuck rock" and not Canadian music in general...and certainly for me, when I consider Canuck rock, Neil Young IS #1 and of all his albums, Harvest is my personal favorite.

The poll results on the otherhand, I would consider to be much less of a "snapshot"

"That's the whole fun," Mersereau says.
"The important part is to talk about Canadian music and enjoy it. This was tried to be a consensus of as many music people and music fans and big serious listeners across the country that have definite opinions. I'd be shocked if there wasn't complaints and arguments and debates. Half of my (own) list didn't make it."

The tabulation was fairly simple, Mersereau explains in the introduction to the book, which also includes album artwork and new interviews with many of the musicians.
Each juror was asked to send in a list of their top 10 discs, using whatever criteria they wished. Each number 1 pick was awarded 10 points, with the number 2 choice given nine points, and so on.

A total of 580 responses were tallied, and Mersereau says he took pains to make sure they were drawn from a range of ages, regions and backgrounds.

Well, the poll was not only fairly simple, but utterly unscientific. 580 responses from (all?) over Canada is hardly representative of Canadian music (or rock music) choices. The author refers to the poll results as a, "snapshot" "of today's Canadian tastes" ...so unless people who were polled were asked about their past preferences at a certain period of time, or over time...the results would be based on current (today's) preferences.

If the poll had considered past choices, say in the past 30 years, this of course would have excluded those jurors who were not born yet or who were too young.

For Canadian jurors to choose Neil Young's, Harvest as #1 for Canadian rock music today, doesn't surprise me in the very least. If the poll was to be a reflection of Canadian music in general and not just rock...then I would have to say the results would have been different...and we'd probably see "Gord's Gold" as #1!

Pam
Old 10-18-2007, 05:55 PM   #3
Jesse Joe

Hi Pam {podunklander},

I beleive this my first contact w/ you. Your probably right for Gord's Gold. Neil Young is also a great Canadian singer songwriter. There are lots of them out there...Canadian eh !

Are you from the Boston area ? If so are the Red Sox done ? I hope not, I myself am a big Blue Jays fan, Matt Stairs Fav player...

All the best,

~Jesse Joe~
Old 10-18-2007, 06:04 PM   #4
Borderstone

Nothing against Neil Young of course but ,i can't believe #1 isn't "Sundown".

I'm not big on today's music polls. They ask mostly young people and you know how they'll vote. Most don't know classic artists.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:15 PM   #5
Jesse Joe

Right On, Borderstone... What can one do ?
Old 10-18-2007, 09:18 PM   #6
podunklander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Joe View Post
Hi Pam {podunklander},

I beleive this my first contact w/ you. Your probably right for Gord's Gold. Neil Young is also a great Canadian singer songwriter. There are lots of them out there...Canadian eh !

Are you from the Boston area ? If so are the Red Sox done ? I hope not, I myself am a big Blue Jays fan, Matt Stairs Fav player...

All the best,

~Jesse Joe~
Hi back Jesse Joe

No, not in Boston...but am a Baystater, born and raised. Lived in a small town about 75 or so miles SW of Beantown. I've been in Connecticut (Eastern part, which is Red Sox Nation) since 1986 . But we won't talk about what happened in 1986 and I can't talk about the Red Sox right now!

But you can have Mike Timlin back now hehe. My son actually just gave me his Topps 1993 and I have it right here...next to Gord's last promo photo. My son also gave me Manny's rookie card!

OK...back to Neil Young! btw, what do you think of his rendition of "Four Strong Winds"? 1st time I went to a Neil Young concert was in 1981 or 82...Tanglewood, he was with the Shocking Pinks. Next time was also in Massachusetts...at the Worcester 'Cementrum', Trans album. Then I saw him back at Tanglewood with the Blue Notes.

He'll be here in Connecticut in December, but I haven't gotten tix yet.

Oh - my son and I got to meet Mike Timlin! And some other players on Easter Sunday, 2003. I got to shake Mike's hand (right!)...which was a thrill I'll never forget!

WOW I just remembered I may have pix from one of the Neil Young concerts! If I find them, I'll post them!

Pam
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mike Timlin.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	263.0 KB
ID:	368   Click image for larger version

Name:	Manny.jpg
Views:	555
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	369   Click image for larger version

Name:	David Ortiz.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	370  
Old 10-18-2007, 10:17 PM   #7
Jesse Joe

Great pix podunklander,

Im sorry not too familiar with Mike Timlin. Neil Young's version of Ian Tyson's ( Great Canadian songwriter & good friend of our Poet Genius) " Four Strong Winds ", was FAR OUT.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:52 PM   #8
podunklander

Quote:
Great pix podunklander,

Im sorry not too familiar with Mike Timlin. Neil Young's version of Ian Tyson's ( Great Canadian songwriter & good friend of our Poet Genius) " Four Strong Winds ", was FAR OUT.
oooooooooohhhhhhh Timlin is a very important part of the history of your favorite team you must check out 1992 and 1993 !!!!!!

I saw Ian Tyson alot when I spent a week in Elko, NV in 2003...but I didn't know it was him until I saw his photo in a mailing from the Western Folklife Center. The Western Folklife Center hosts the National Cowboy Poetry Gathering. He'll be there again in 2008, and in addition to performing, he'll be co-hosting a two-part songwriting workshop with Tom Russell.

Pam
Old 10-19-2007, 12:21 AM   #9
Yuri

Send the Indians to 'Cherokee Bend'!! Go Sox!!!

As my wife is from the Boston area, I had a quick indoctrination in Redsox Nation!

Yuri
Bugs! - http://thunderhouse4-yuri.blogspot.com/
Yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 12:53 AM   #10
podunklander

YIKES!! shhhhhhhhhhhhhh Yuri! Not so loud...we wouldn't want to awaken the Bambino!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	the Bambino.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	371  
Old 10-19-2007, 12:01 PM   #11
podunklander

Jesse Joe,

I scanned the Timlin card my son gave me. Well, although I've always been a Sox fan, I've only been following more closely since 2003 (good timing, actually). We went to 2 games in 2003 and 1 in 2004. Now it's almost impossible to get tix!

When we went on Easter Sunday in 2003..I only decided to go the day before and was able to buy tix online! Don't know if that'll ever happen again!

That game, if I recall right, the Sox played the Jays. My son and I talked about possibly going to Toronto this past season to catch a Sox/Jays game...but the Sox fans have been behaving much like Lightfoot fans and hitting the road! it's almost impossible to get tix for road games.

Anyway...I'm not familiar with the entire team roster for the Sox for every year and especially for anything over say, 5 years ago, I can't keep up -my son does though so if I want to know something, I just ask him! hehe

Timlin has performed well as a closing pitcher...but has been on the DL list most of the 2007 season.

Well, much appreciate the Canadians for sending Timlin back down to the States! And in addition to Lightfoot, Neil Young, Joni, etc., all the wonderful Canadian music, I'm also grateful to Canada for giving us Tim Horton's! Have one, two towns from here! I buy a can every week...drinking a cup right now!

oooops! Well, I have nearly 300 years of Canadian roots so I guess I'm also thanking all you cousins, eh? hehe

Pam
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Timlin Blue Jays.jpg
Views:	554
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	390  
Old 10-19-2007, 12:41 PM   #12
Jesse Joe

Nice pic of Timlin Pam,

I too followed the Jays back when they won 2 World Series, Joe Carter days. But had lost interest the years after. But I do recall Mike Timlin a bit. This year I got back on to following The Jays because of Matt Stairs who is from Fredericton,(Saint-John), N.B. Me being a New-Brunswicker, really enjoyed watching him, 21 home runs this season. I think they will be interesting to follow next season...

Lots of Tim Horton's down here in Moncton. When the ECMA{East Coast Music Awards} were in Moncton a few years back it was fiddle player Natalie MacMaster who said at the awards, " I never saw so many Tim's in one city"...lol

There's a saying down here they will build a Tim Horton first, and then a town around it .

Last edited by Jesse Joe; 10-19-2007 at 05:18 PM.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:22 PM   #13
SilverHeels

Red Sox? DIE BOSTON, DIE!!!!
Old 10-19-2007, 01:30 PM   #14
podunklander

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHeels View Post
Red Sox? DIE BOSTON, DIE!!!!
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Ok I gotto go work on the 'ritual' b4 2nites game.

PS (you are now in that ritual SilverHeels! )
Old 10-19-2007, 01:50 PM   #15
SilverHeels

Quote:
Originally Posted by podunklander View Post
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Ok I gotto go work on the 'ritual' b4 2nites game.

PS (you are now in that ritual SilverHeels! )
Heee-heee--heee ... I shall out there casting spells and chanting ...
Old 10-19-2007, 02:45 PM   #16
podunklander

Quote:
Heee-heee--heee ... I shall out there casting spells and chanting ...
no sah! you bettah nawt!
Old 10-19-2007, 03:08 PM   #17
podunklander

Quote:
Nice pic of Timlin Pam,

I too followed the Jays back when they won 2 World Series, Joe Carter days. But had lost interest the years after. But I do recall Mike Timlin a bit. This year I got back on to following The Jays because of Matt Stairs who is from Fredericton, N.B. Me being a New-Brunswicker, really enjoyed watching him, 20 home runs this season. I think they will be interesting to follow next season...

Lots of Tim Horton's down here in Moncton. When the ECMA{East Coast Music Awards} were in Moncton a few years back it was fiddle player Natalie MacMaster who said at the awards, " I never saw so many Tim's in one city"...lol

There's a saying down here they will build a Tim Horton first, and then a town around it .
Thanks Jesse Joe!

I was thrilled when my son gave me that card! btw, I have a vintage Blue Jays sweatshirt given to me by a Canadian back around 92/93 . We (my son and I) consider the Jays are 2nd favorite ball club.

Funny! Must be a Tim Horton's at every corner in Moncton huh? Makes me want to buy a franchise! Or just one store would do! I was in NB for GL's show in St. John. Did you go? I thought it was great that a Tim Horton's was just a hop, skip and a jump (if even) from the border. And there was also one at the venue. I also stopped at the one by the border, before heading back over..and claimed my cup of Tim Horton's coffee at customs.

Also, found that I like the bottled Canadian spring water they have. Love their little sandwiches, but I've been avoiding the donuts (so far)

From what little I've seen of NB, I loved it! Charming! I have a couple of uncles that were born/raised in NB. My Uncle Nelson is a big GL fan (but won't go to concerts).

Anyway, I'll have to ask my son about Matt Stairs and I'll try to follow...sounds like he's been great!

Pam
Old 10-19-2007, 04:52 PM   #18
SilverHeels

Quote:
Originally Posted by podunklander View Post
no sah! you bettah nawt!
:D but I do LOVE New England ...
Old 10-19-2007, 04:52 PM   #19
Jesse Joe

Matt Stairs

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=tor

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/team...e.jsp?c_id=tor

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/team...ayer_id=122644

Last edited by Jesse Joe; 10-19-2007 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:08 PM   #20
charlene

I loves Matt! - I call him "Stumpy"..he's built like a brick and is a great player. He's a grinder fer sure.
LOVED Timlin back in the day too..
and of course I love my Timmy's..had one today..large decaf.double double! Triple D !!
lol
Here in small town Whitby we have 8 or 9 (maybe 10) Tim's for 100,000 folks..
Plus about 30 other assorted coffee shoppes..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 07:25 PM   #21
Kathy Number Four

Quote:
I wondered what "Tim Horton's" was... being from California, I had never heard of it. So I did a web search. I gather Tim Horton's is Canada's answer to Starbuck's (one of which we have on just about every street corner here !
Old 10-19-2007, 07:29 PM   #22
podunklander

Quote:
:D but I do LOVE New England ...
well lucky for you ...I thought today was Saturday, so the games not until tomorrow! That gives us enough time to paint them heels red! hehe Then we can talk about how much you love New England lol hehe
Old 10-19-2007, 07:47 PM   #23
podunklander

My son had always been annoyed with the Dunkin' Donuts commercial that says, "America Runs on Dunkin' Donuts"..he said it's false advertising. I'd have to agree with him! We've driven x-country and never saw one Dunkin' Donuts after Ohio!

Now the Canadian invasion is taking hold hehe. We have just a few Tim Horton's here in Connecticut, and I feel very fortunate to have one just 2 exits away (about 10 miles).

But last month...when my friend and I went to the Falls after the GL concerts, etc., there were TONS of Tim Horton's in NY until after Albany (heading back to New England).

Yeh and I want to meet this guy, Tim Horton and give him a hug hehe.

Thanks for the pics and links Jesse Joe - appreciate the heads up on Matt Stairs.

Hey Kathy Number Four...how about sending us some 2 Buck Chucks and we'll send you some Tim Horton's coffee???
Old 10-19-2007, 09:09 PM   #24
charlene

Tim Horton was a Toronto Maple Leaf hockey player and was traded to Buffalo. He was speeding in his sports car and crashed it in 1974. He and a partner had just started up a small coffee shop in Hamilton in 1964. His partner turned it into a huge company and several years ago it was bought by the burger chain in the U.S. called Wendy's. We have them up here too.
In the Mike Myers movie "Wayne's World" the coffee/donut shoppe was supposed to be named Tim Horton's but they wouldn't allow it so it was called something else. Mike loves his Leafs. He was at the game last saturday and given a Leaf jersey with "Love Guru" on the back and he tossed out the ceremonial 'first puck' at the start of the game.
Tim Horton/Leafs hockey/double double/roll up the rim..it's all good..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Hortons
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 09:33 PM   #25
Jesse Joe

http://www.timhortons.com/en/index.html

http://www.hockeyheritagenorth.ca/pl...ORTON-Tim.html

Last edited by Jesse Joe; 10-19-2007 at 09:38 PM.