banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-07-2009, 08:57 PM   #1
jj

Default Help request: from long time concert goers

Based on internet sources, I've tried to list which songs Gord has performed vs. not ever performed live either on tour or on television appearances

for instance, there are 7 tunes from the last 3 albums that he's not done live as far as I can recall - any guesses?

the period I'm most uncertain of is 1973 and earlier

there is a restriction to how much text can be posted in one reply so I'll paste what I have in sections
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:19 PM   #2
charlene

Default Re: Help request: from long time concert goers

from Harmony -
No Mistake About It and Sometimes I Wish.
I don't recall ever hearing these performed onstage..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:20 PM   #3
Tim

Biscuit City from Salute
Protocol from Summertime Dream
Walls from The Way I Feel

I've been in concerts recently where fans shouted those requests out -- they were not played of course, and I have to wonder if Gord ever played those in concert.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:20 AM   #4
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Walls from The Way I Feel
1968, San Francisco, CA (thanks to tg, rm and foremost to bm!)

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/11...0-%20Walls.mp3
Old 04-08-2009, 06:44 AM   #5
jj

it seems he's "performed" 4/5ths of his songs live

please let me know which of the songs below have performed ...when and where if possible ...better yet, how about an mp3

sorted by album(*), alphabetically:

*Back Here on Earth
Don't Beat Me Down
Long Way Back Home

*Cold on The Shoulder
Rainbow Trout
Slide on Over
The Soul is The Rock

*Did She Mention My Name
I Want to Hear It from You
Magnificent Outpouring
May I
Something Very Special

*Don Quixote
Brave Mountaineers
Ordinary Man

*East of Midnight
A Passing Ship
Ecstasy Made Easy
You Just Gotta Be

*Endless Wire
Sometimes I Don't Mind

*Harmony
End Of All Time
Flyin' Blind
No Mistake About It
Sometimes I Wish

*If You Could Read My Mind
Cobwebs Dust
Poor Little Allison

*Lightfoot!
Changes
Oh, Linda
Peaceful Waters
Pride of Man
Rich Man's Spiritual
The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face

*Old Dan's Records
Farewell to Annabel
Lazy Mornin'
Mother of a Miner's Child

*Salute
Biscuit City
Tattoo
Without You

*Shadows
All I'm After
She's Not The Same

*Summer Side of Life
Cabaret
Love & Maple Syrup
Nous Vivons Ensemble
Redwood Hill
Same Old Loverman
Talking in Your Sleep

*Summertime Dream
Too Many Clues in This Room

*Sundown
Is There Anyone Home
Somewhere USA

*The Way I Feel
Crossroads
Go Go Round
Home from The Forest
If You Got It
I'll Be Alright

*Waiting for You
I'd Rather Press On

*RARITIES
A Message to The Wind
Always on The Bright Side
Borderstone
Lifeline
Mama Said
Never Say Trust Me
Station Master
Too Much to Lose
Why Should I Feel Blue
You'll Still Be Needing Me

(edited: thanks to the help of sundown17, Doug, Tim, char, etc)

...he has performed all songs from the APPT album

i think we need a live CD of the 170 he HAS perfomred live

then Gord needs to take his guitars and tape recorder and find a quiet room in his mansion (aren't they all?) and record the other 50 for us!

Last edited by jj; 05-07-2009 at 09:45 AM.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:14 AM   #6
Sundown17

Although I personally did not start attending concerts until 1977 and my memory isn't what it used to be...I could swear I heard some of the songs you have listed, James, in concert. So on this sleepless morning, I did some research. According to the limited set lists on Wayne's site, "Second Cup of Coffee" and "A Tree to Weak to Stand" were performed in 1974/75. "Bend in the Water" was performed in '75 and '79. "Thank You for the Promises" in 1982. "Ecstasy Made Easy" in '85. "Welcome To Try" and "Drink Your Glasses Empty" started showing up in '93. There could be more...but I stopped at 1996.

Course all these dates are approximate as very few of the set lists are posted in the 70's. So some of these (and others) could have shown up earlier.

What I did find fascinating is how many of the unpublished songs from Songbook (Betty Called Me In, Stone Cold Sober, etc) he did perform in the '70's.

Anyway, I recommend to anyone that hasn't been or hasn't been lately to visit Wayne's site, www.lightfoot.ca. The Tour Dates is a great trip down memory lane or an education on what our Gord has given us through the years.

And to the person (sorry, again, memory fails me and a quick site search resulted in zilch) that asked if "Only Love Would Know" was ever done in concert...it started showing up in the set lists in 1991 and I know I heard that in concert.

Diane
Sundown17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:27 AM   #7
jj

ahhh, thanks a mill, Diane!

that was my main source but i can't say i extracted every (S) and (R) from that section, mainly samplings from Massey

I will revise my post for those you have flagged

ok, Only Love Would Know (this is one of the reasons that I started this searching) was for one, played in Chicago, 1991...there's a few references to this at Wayne's site

it seems like a tedious effort over the past while but I can say doing it was a joy...clicking and reading setlists and reviews is one of my fave things...when you see a song pop up that you've never heard live or wonder what the arrangements might have been like, well, it give chills

also in the Tidbits Odds and Ends section (where did the wonderful FAQ section go?) something interesting:

"Lightfoot originally intended to title 'Only Love Would Know' differently. It was to be called 'Light Of Passion' but he said there was a song by that name making the rounds back then, so to avoid confusion he changed it."

Last edited by jj; 04-08-2009 at 09:37 AM.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:43 AM   #8
jj

a few of the many tunes that he HAS played live that I'd be interest in hearing are:

Looking at The Rain

On Susan's Floor

Mister Rock of Ages

That Same Old Obsession

I always wondered what the live (less produced) arrangement of Anything for Love would have sounded like..I was at a concert where he played it but I don't recall..the sound and his voice was pretty muffle-y that eve

Whispers of the North would have been lovely...I notice the active Tribute Band that goes by that same name actually doesn't play that tune (and they're from South of the border, lol)

It's Worth Believin,....never saw that live but I have that live recording somewhere thanks to some very generous person...the question is, where the heck is it (and a zillion other unlabelled multimedia items)! lol
Old 04-08-2009, 10:04 AM   #9
Sundown17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
ahhh, thanks a mill, Diane!

that was my main source but i can't say i extracted every (S) and (R) from that section, mainly samplings from Massey

I will revise my post for those you have flagged

ok, Only Love Would Know (this is one of the reasons that I started this searching) was for one, played in Chicago, 1991...there's a few references to this at Wayne's site

it seems like a tedious effort over the past while but I can say doing it was a joy...clicking and reading setlists and reviews is one of my fave things...when you see a song pop up that you've never heard live or wonder what the arrangements might have been like, well, it give chills

also in the Tidbits Odds and Ends section (where did the wonderful FAQ section go?) something interesting:

"Lightfoot originally intended to title 'Only Love Would Know' differently. It was to be called 'Light Of Passion' but he said there was a song by that name making the rounds back then, so to avoid confusion he changed it."

I'll take that in small, unmarked, US currency thank you.

Seriously, you are most welcome.

I wished that whatever part of my brain is responsible for holding on to the Lightfoot concerts I've attended could be played back like an mp3 player. So many gems that we will never hear live again.

However I do remember the story about the change in title of OLWK. Perhaps it was a lead in to the live performance?

D
Old 04-08-2009, 10:40 AM   #10
jj

ahh, wouldnt that have been nice...well these days many are just recording live concerts as they play, directly to cellphone harddrive in mp3 format, lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown17 View Post
However I do remember the story about the change in title of OLWK. Perhaps it was a lead in to the live performance?

D

hmmm, although ideal, I don't know what's with the having to keep song titles unique...i was trying to search for Talking in Your Sleep performances on youtube and i ended up getting a half naked girl dancing to a 80's tune that had the same title instead of finding Gord performing one of my faves (fully clothed)
Old 04-08-2009, 12:01 PM   #11
Doug

Send a message via AIM to Doug

I've heard those shown below at concerts in San Diego. I attended all of his concerts there in the 70's. The concerts would have been at Golden Hall or The Civic Theater.

*Old Dan's Records
Hi'way Songs
My Pony Won't Go

*Summer Side of Life
Go My Way
Summer Side of Life

*Summertime Dream
Protocol (He made a point of talking about what a coward the person that would plant a time bomb is)

*Sundown
Circle of Steel
Old 04-08-2009, 01:27 PM   #12
jj

Doug, wow...thanks a whole bunch (I've already spent my last penny on D!)...I've updated my list once again

those must have been wonderful to hear...i would love to hear Summer Side of Life without those in studio chorus harmonies...I'd also love to hear My Pony Won't Go live (regardless of everyone donkey-konging it, lol)

Circle of Steel, Hi'way Songs...such treasures live I'm certain...come on Gord, pull these out again for 09 tour

just a clarification: I think GL has always done fine layered harmony arrangements and they've been well laid down nicely and produced well, mostly, but given the choice I'll take more stripped down versions any day
Old 04-08-2009, 02:15 PM   #13
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

err Umm Tut Tut Jim you omitted to remember or consult a few old set lists on my web site at:-
http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/LIGHTFOOT/oldsetlists.htm

this adds a few more

Montreal May 10th 1968
BHOE
diddledidum,diddledidee
a .k.a The Gypsy
Montreal october 7th 1968
BHOE
The Gypsy
Marie Christene
Don't Beat Me Down
also Walls TWIF
And at a concert I attended in a JimNasium at Montreal's McGill University in 1969
As noted in my concert list at:-
http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/LIGHTFO...9_concerts.htm
Go My Way from SSOL

TWIF and Single(s)
I think., but I may be wrong, that I have seen a short clip from a performance,possibly at the Riverboat of Go Go Round and certainly a short piece of "Spin Spin" from a Riverboat video
(I wonder who has that video and if it is complete and if so what else is on it??)
and there IS an audio file around of Gord live in sixty-five doing Dylan's "Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues" on the Tonight Show with "here's Johnnie" (Carson)
Lightfoot!
Long River IS in the set from La Cave Cleveland on (best estimate) May 8, 1965
IYCRMM
On Susan's Floor was performed in London on 10 June 1972

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:09 PM   #14
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfowles View Post
Long River IS in the set from La Cave Cleveland on (best estimate) May 8, 1965
IYCRMM
On Susan's Floor was performed in London on 10 June 1972

oh, when i was speaking of On Susan's Floor I was on a tangent dreaming out loud of the tracks he's played live that I wished I was there for ...it's not on the o/s list

for La Cave I only used the Get Together bootleg release as a reference and so i guess the Long River never made it on there

thanks for all these bits and bytes, John! I need to poke around your site as it contains a wealth of data (as does your mind)
Old 04-08-2009, 06:08 PM   #15
jj

Quote:
I think., but I may be wrong, that I have seen a short clip from a performance,possibly at the Riverboat of Go Go Round and certainly a short piece of "Spin Spin" from a Riverboat video
(I wonder who has that video and if it is complete and if so what else is on it??)
3and there IS an audio file around of Gord live in sixty-five doing Dylan's "Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues" on the Tonight Show with "here's Johnnie" (Carson)
Lightfoot!

there was a short Spin Spin clip at the CBC site but i dont see it anymore...it also is the one that plays to start the Lightfoot video that loops in the CBC lobby/museum display...i dont know if they show that or the 1968 concert film any longer ...i didnt realize that the Spin Spin was from the Riverboat...it didnt look like a narrow basement

i cant belive that Dylan cover was somehwat of a hit...just was sampling it as Amazon and seemed pretty lame

are any of the Sunday Concert PLUS bonus recordings live? it sounds like I'll Be Alright could be

lastly, did you hear him perform the uptemp version of TWIF (and/or is there a recording of that live?)

lastly, lastly...did Bru see any gigs that you did not? (or would my pestering her be redundant? )
Old 04-08-2009, 06:23 PM   #16
johnfowles

1. I am not sure that the "Spin Spin" clip is at the Riverboat a misleading assumption I guess

2.you said
"a few of the many tunes that he HAS played live that I'd be interest in hearing are:

Looking at The Rain

On Susan's Floor

Mister Rock of Ages

That Same Old Obsession
"

I misunderstood,(not paying attention), and as it started as a list of songs that Gord had not been known to have performed live I included On Susan's Floor in that category not realising that you meant that it was one that you would like to hear live in your presence
I do have a recording of another London concert (in 1974) and it includes"Looking at The Rain " and "That Same Old Obsession"

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm

Old 04-08-2009, 06:29 PM   #17
jj

Quote:
And to the person (sorry, again, memory fails me and a quick site search resulted in zilch) that asked if "Only Love Would Know" was ever done in concert...it started showing up in the set lists in 1991 and I know I heard that in concert.

Diane
i remember that question also but dont think we heard back...i recall pasting the link of the full setlist...some bigtime fans don't seem to be aware of the joyous Setlist/Review archives nor the Songbook liner notes...fun
Old 04-08-2009, 06:43 PM   #18
jj

Quote:
I misunderstood,(not paying attention), and as it started as a list of songs that Gord had not been known to have performed live I included On Susan's Floor in that category not realising that you meant that it was one that you would like to hear live in your presence
my fault...i went that direction after D posted a few son titles that she'd heard live

what got me listing these was seeing that GL was doing basically the same tune shuffle this tour as in the past while...i was speculating that he might pull a couple out that hadn't been played live for decades, or better yet, for the band's own stimulation, take on a few that never made it into the live rotation throughout his career ...it was just a ridiculous dream....when he's got 35+ under his(their) belt, why go through having to brush up on lyrics, etc, etc...besides, some of my fave concert memories are when he's stumbled over lyrics or did a restart...yeah, more bang for your concert buck

my general take is that once a full set of live songs are released on dvd (like Reno) then it's time to get a fresh lot out next tour, until a new DVD is released, etc ,etc

i am clearly in the minority...when Gord breaks into Baby Step Back most folks all around me are smilin, hootin, tappin and singing like they've never heard it live before...if it aint broke, why fix it...and it sure aint broke
Old 04-08-2009, 08:52 PM   #19
Sundown17

James, if you are in the minority, then so am I. I would love to hear something other than the standard rotation too. But then I know many factors are involved, not the least of which is the change in the range of the voice and the loss of a musician.

I guess that is the price one pays for being a little concert addicted and attending more than the average bear. At the end of the day, as the saying goes, I'd pay to listen to the Man cite the phone book.

D
Old 04-09-2009, 08:20 PM   #20
seafarer62

From My Recollection:

Mister Rock of Ages was performed in Minneapolis - Aug 1980
On Susan's Floor was performed in Sault St. Marie- Sept. 1998
seafarer62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 06:14 AM   #21
joveski

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafarer62 View Post
From My Recollection:

Mister Rock of Ages was performed in Minneapolis - Aug 1980
On Susan's Floor was performed in Sault St. Marie- Sept. 1998

correct!

http://www.lightfoot.ca/800822.htm

http://www.lightfoot.ca/980918.htm
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:48 PM   #22
jj

Quote:
I guess that is the price one pays for being a little concert addicted and attending more than the average bear.
D
hey D, but i've only been to a Gord concert every 18 months or so over the past decade and the set list has differed by a mere 3 to 6 songs, max...i think he needs to just sit with guitar for 20 minutes every 18 months and play a medley of UA tunes and/or early 70's ones he hasn't performed ever or in decades...i think he voice could stand up and he only needs to do a basic guitar rhythm or simple picking arrangement...ok, enough whinin and back to the topic:

soooo, there we have it...the list of standard recording that have not been layed live, to the best our collective knowledge?:

Slide on Over
The Soul is The Rock
Brave Mountaineers
Ordinary Man
A Passing Ship
Ecstasy Made Easy
You Just Gotta Be
Sometimes I Don't Mind
End Of All Time
Flyin' Blind
No Mistake About It
Sometimes I Wish
Cobwebs Dust
Poor Little Allison
Changes
Oh, Linda
Peaceful Waters
Pride of Man
Rich Man's Spiritual
The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face
Farewell to Annabel
Lazy Mornin'
Mother of a Miner's Child
Without You
She's Not The Same
Cabaret
Love & Maple Syrup
Nous Vivons Ensemble
Redwood Hill
Same Old Loverman
Talking in Your Sleep
Is There Anyone Home
Somewhere USA
Crossroads
Go Go Round
Home from The Forest
If You Got It
I'll Be Alright
I'd Rather Press On

thanks all...JohnF, your set archives are treasures, thanks!

Last edited by jj; 05-07-2009 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:50 PM   #23
Unsettled 1

Sorry to find this thread so late. I have seen Gordon play many times in San Diego. In a concert promoting the "Salute" album he did play "Biscuit City" and "Tatoo". I remember it because it was the first time i saw him wear Glasses . He also played an electric guitar for "Romance", and spoke of how much he liked the tune. That was the only time he played what was then the Spreckels Theatre.
I have also heard him sing "Rainbow Trout". and "Too Many Clues in This Room" in the mid seventies. That was either at Golden hall or the Civic Theatre, both venues he played regularly back in the day. I'll never forget those years...
Unsettled 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:40 AM   #24
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettled 1 View Post
Sorry to find this thread so late. I have seen Gordon play many times in San Diego. In a concert promoting the "Salute" album he did play "Biscuit City" and "Tatoo". I remember it because it was the first time i saw him wear Glasses . He also played an electric guitar for "Romance", and spoke of how much he liked the tune. That was the only time he played what was then the Spreckels Theatre.
A check on lightfoot.ca for the dates in 1983 only showed the Fox Theatre in San Diego on February 19th but no setlist is shown
I did find on the set list for a Minneapolis concert
http://www.lightfoot.ca/811002.htm
that "All I'm After" from Shadows was included

I meant no one no harm

Old 04-29-2009, 05:35 PM   #25
Scott Mac

With some of those songs it makes sense he did not do them in concert. Some would not work real well with his 'acoustic' sound. But one sure wonders why a song like 'Ordinary Man' was not a concert staple. It is one of my all time favorites and I would love to hear his band do it. I am sure he has his reasons....
Scott Mac is offline   Reply With Quote