banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 03-02-2008, 01:20 PM   #1
Sandi

Default Biography

Hello All, I am a new member.

I have written a draft book about Gord which was sent to him to review. He and I talked by phone for many hours in November, 2007, about his early music experiences.

This year, I wrote and asked if he would write a Forward to the book, but have not heard back from him about that, but hope that he will respond when he has time.

In the meantime, are there any personal items about his life that anyone could suggest to include? The book is entirely positive and glowing regarding Gord's music. The personal detail section has been kept to a minimum, and does not reflect anything that may be considered derogatory.

Is there anyone I could interview regarding Gord's music and his experiences in the music business, in general? I would love to interview his older daughter, Ingrid. Are you interested Ingrid? I would very much appreciate any input from Gord's fans. Thanks so much.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 03:17 PM   #2
charlene

Default Re: Biography

Hi Sandi,
Was Gordon amenable to a book being written/published? I imagine there are quite a few people who could be interviewed once Gordon's approval o the book is confirmed, he gives those people the go-ahead and they are then comfortable speaking about their remembrances..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:48 PM   #3
Sandi

Gord received my first draft of the book in early November, 2007. He talked with me for hours by telephone during November to provide information for the book with the knowledge that it is meant to be published.

I did not ask him for the names of others to interview as I did not plan on interviewing anyone other than Gord. That is because I want it to be accurate, and without any slanted views.

The only items that I would like to add now are interesting or comical small bits of experiences - nothing negative.

The most recent rewrite was sent to him in February. He received it just prior to going on tour.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:09 PM   #4
charlene

Perhaps you can tell us a bit about yourself Sandi. Do you have other published books?
Why did you choose to do a book about Lightfoot?

The message board here at CORFID is full of recounted moments/events that many of us have had with him over the years. Many are stories from folks who have never met him yet they all have the same underlying theme - a deep love and respect for a man and his music that has touched us and remained in our souls from the first listen of a Lightfoot tune regardless of when that moment happened.

Our lives have been enriched by his songs and we are thankful for every moment of pleasure they have given us. We are in awe that he came back from his terrible illness to continue this relationship with his most ardent fans. To say we care deeply about him is an understatement of immense proportions. He is a humble and gracious man, a proud Canadian and deserving of every accolade he's ever received or will in the future.

My life has been enriched beyond telling for his part in it.

And because of the enduring love I have for Lightfoot music and the man himself, I have come to know many like-minded souls who also have enriched my life.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:04 PM   #5
Patti

Hi Sandi,
That sounds like a nice music book. If you talk with Gord again, maybe he can tell you more about his children's music.
It must be quite a music adventure writing such a book.
-Patti
Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:42 PM   #6
spocksbrain

Hi Sandi,
I would love to be able to discuss some critical interpretation of Lightfoot songs. Maybe this would be of some use since it appears that your book is coming from a singlr source. It seems as if you are doing a kind of reflective work in the words of Gord himself. Can't wait to read it.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:06 PM   #7
Sandi

Hello All,

I thought that I had responded to Char’s question this past weekend, but it appears that I must have pressed the wrong button, so here goes again.

I am a Canadian, living in northern Ontario. I did live in the U.S. for six years; otherwise, I have always lived in Ontario.

I saw Gord in concert in 1972, then at Massey in 1988, and in 1992 (I believe) at the Sky Dome on a bill with Blue Rodeo and Simon & Garfunkel.

I came to write the book because I believe that a chronology of Gord’s music and its impact on Canadian culture, sociology, and history is past due. There are many young Canadian songwriters, who consider Mr. Lightfoot to be a role model and who are following his style of songwriting. This topic is discussed in my book, which covers Mr. Lightfoot’s life from early childhood to the present day, with a focus on the music.

As part of my working life, for more than thirty-five years, I researched information, interviewed people, and then wrote their cases for litigation law firms. My largest assignment was to interview eighty-four people, who were all plaintiffs within one action, and then write each person’s individual case.

In 2005, I completed a book that covered one thousand years of the history of the family named de Berchelai/Barclay/Barkley, which is one of only three families who can trace their history in England to before the Norman conquest of 1066. This book was self-published and all copies were quickly purchased by members of that family. I did not write that book for the public, in general. It took many years of research, and I was very glad when I reached the end of it!

At this point, I really do not know if the book will be published, or when.

I know that Gord has said that three of his children are into music, with Eric being a drummer, but did not discuss this topic with Gord.

I am running on here, so I will stop it now.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:05 PM   #8
Jesse Joe

Hi Sandi,

You wrote:

"I saw Gord in concert in 1972, then at Massey in 1988, and in 1992 (I believe) at the Sky Dome on a bill with Blue Rodeo and Simon & Garfunkel."

I've posted an article on the bottom left, it is from the newspaper here in Moncton, NB, about that concert at Skydome w/ Simon & Garfunkel, also Blue Rodeo. It may be of some interest to you, and may be not. Please click on the photo once to make it appear larger, if not large enough then click on it a second time...

Regards,

~ Jesse Joe ~
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0001.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	964  
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:15 PM   #9
Jesse Joe

More on that Sky Dome concert !
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	scan0002.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	243.8 KB
ID:	965  
Old 03-04-2008, 09:17 PM   #10
Sandi

Thanks so much! It appears that it may have been 1993. 92-93 were horrific years for me, so I could easily have had the date mixed up. I remember the concert clearly. It was a beautiful warm summer night, with a soft breeze. The entire show was pure magic. Later in the evening, there were thousands of swaying lighters being held in the air. After the concert, my man of the moment sprung for dinner in a lovely cafe. I will remember that concert forever.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:23 PM   #11
Jesse Joe

Very good indeed Sandi, this one here has nothing to do with that concert, but rather show how Billy Joel knows some good Canadian talent (songs)...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	scan0003.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	966  

Last edited by Jesse Joe; 03-04-2008 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:27 PM   #12
Sandi

That's it! They should have had me locked up back in '93!! It appears that the Sky Dome concert was in November? All I can say is it was a summer night to me! No coat, no boots, warm balmy weather. Gee, Gord looks great in this newspaper photo. Thanks so much for the clippings.
Regards, Sandi
Old 03-04-2008, 09:31 PM   #13
Sandi

I have to say goodnight. My son needs the computer. Thanks again for the clippings.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:35 PM   #14
Jesse Joe

Oh your quite welcome ! goodnight, ok son go at it...