banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 11-18-2012, 03:15 AM   #1
Jenney

Default Saturday night at Massey Hall!

Way too late to go into much detail, but Gord got a pretty cool birthday present when Jimmy Buffet showed up to his concert tonight! After intermission Gord announced that Buffet was there, and the spotlight danced across the theater ( often stopping on Val Magee's husband John!!), then Jimmy waved a greeting. I was in the first row of the balcony, and got to watch his reactions to Gord. He seemed quite impressed at the end of CRT.
Looked like Buffet got swarmed at the end of the concert, I didn't get a chance to meet him, but I believe Char did.

Great night, great concert!!
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:12 AM   #2
Yuri

Default Re: Saturday night at Massey Hall!

Jimmy - Another fan of Gord's magic!
Thanks!....Waiting for photos & reviews...
Y.
Bugs! - http://thunderhouse4-yuri.blogspot.com/
Yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:29 AM   #3
curiousmoonbeam

Wow! Fantastic - can't wait to hear all the details!!
CM
curiousmoonbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:38 PM   #4
charlene

Yep - JB walked past me on his way out I said,"hi Mr. Buffet" and he stopped and said hi. I told him I was a longtime fan and Parrothead as well as a longtime Lighthead. He laughed and said, "Lighthead!, well I've been a Lighthead for a long time too!".

He was very accomodating to the few fans who wanted autographs and pics. When Gordon was telling the audience that JB was in the house he said that Jimmy told him something he didn't know - that he was from Newfoundland...He's one of us!". lol JB was visiting a friend who works in Toronto.

Being a longtime fan and member of the JB fanclub back in the day I knew Buffets roots go back to Nova Scotia/Cape Breton. THe audience gave him a huge cheer and round of applause.

JB explained to me his great grandfather was from Newfoundland and the family was in two towns over the years, finally settling in Sydney Nova Scotia. His grandfather was a sailor and the subject of several of his tunes. His grandfather eventually settled in Lousiana as did many Cape Breton people and that is where JB was born.

I reminded him of his mid 70's concert at Maple Leaf Gardens in the dead of a very cold Toronto winter. He had just broken his leg and sat on a stool for the show. The Good Brothers opened for him. I have pictures in a box somewhere. I told him he said that he was never coming back to this 'f....g' city in the winter ever again..lol And he may have been true to his word having only concerts here in the summer.

I asked him if he had a Toronto concert date set for 2013 and he told me they were working on the tour and he'd love to play @ Massey Hall.

He's got a great smile and I loved that Louisiana accent up close and personal.. I've always jokingly said that when I come back in another life I want to be Jimmy Buffet...still do.

It was terrific that he was there on Gord's birthday and heard the love and happy birthday from the crowd..and heard one of the best Lightfoot concerts ever!
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote