banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2011, 10:16 AM   #1
pmwinters

Default GL Wounded Bird reissue CDs

I recently purchased the reissue CD of Summertime Dream on the Wounded Bird label and was very disappointed at the "bare bones" treatment that this CD (and most likely the other Lightfoot reissues) received. The poem written by Gord and the lyrics to the songs that were part of the original Reprise disc are deleted in favor of a single piece front insert. This stands in stark contrast to the comprehensive booklets that Rhino included with the Songbook box set and Complete Hits single CD. I picked up a great used copy of Waiting For You on Reprise last week with all lyrics included instead of buying the Wounded Bird disc. I hope any future releases are afforded the care and attention that Lightfoot's catalog deserves.

Last edited by pmwinters; 09-23-2011 at 10:18 AM.
pmwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:06 PM   #2
redhead

Default Re: GL Wounded Bird reissue CDs

How is the sound quality of that disc? I sent them an email, asking them if these recordings were copied from the master. Their brief response went something along the lines of "Warner never parts with their masters", and I wondered if that would only make the sound quality on par with a copy burned on a mac or pc.

It prompted me to locate and purchase a used Reprise recording of that very same cd, in "like new" condition. It arrived without a mark on it, and appears to have been the right decision.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:19 PM   #3
pmwinters

The sound quality of the disc seemed ok. I don't believe they're remastered at all and I'm not sure what they use as a source for producing the discs. My issue is mostly to do with the booklets/liner notes which in the case of Summertime Dream, give the buyer considerably less information than the booklets which were included with the Reprise CDs. Compare that to the lavish treatment that Concord Music is giving to their reissuing of the Paul McCartney catalog. At least Rhino did a fine job with their two Lightfoot compilation offerings.
pmwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:28 PM   #4
Borderstone

Speaking of "Songbook" (the original,not the 1999 box set) there's actually 2 of those on cassette at Musicstack.com .

There's not a picturre,so I don;t know if it's an actual 70s tape or someone's homemade version. Just thought I'd let you know.