banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 10-26-2008, 10:22 PM   #1
charlene

Default HUmphrey's By The Bay review-San Diego CA.

http://sdpix.com/?p=1138

what an absolute cock-up of the song titles!
lol

Half-way through a 10-city tour, Gordon Lightfoot (on his 8th return visit to San Diego) brought along his quartet of musicians to satisfy the eager appetite of his fan-base in a 2-act concert of his songs dating back to the 70s. Among the songs, playing guitar and vocal, the 70-year young, Canadian-born, Gordon Lightfoot performed in the first half of the show, included LOVE GO AROUND, MAN OF MYSTERY, ONCE UPON A TIME, RAINY DAY PEOPLE, YOU WERE MEANT FOR ME, CAREFREE HIGHWAY, a country slant on PAST THE TIME and his much beloved SUNDOWN.

Following intermission, saw RIDE RIDE RIDE, BY AND BY, BABY STAY BACK, EARLY MORNING RAIN and Lightfoot’s all time hit IF YOU COULD READ MY MIND….and a rock and roll finale in BLACK BERRY WINE. (As noted) The title track and first single of Gordon Lightfoot’s new album, A Painter Passing Through, has a lot to do with the much-decorated artist who sings it. “It’s very autobiographical,” says Lightfoot, who wrote the song, and all but two of the 10 cuts on his new disc. “It’s sort of the way I see myself now-or could see myself for quite a few years to come. I turn 60 this year. I’ve settled down now, and I’m in this wonderful position of being allowed to make my own albums-and as usual, the songs on this album paint pictures.” Meanwhile, Lightfoot has continued to tour and record with his estimable core band of guitarist Terry Clements, bassist Rick Haynes, keyboardist Mike Heffernan and drummer Barry Keane. Lightfoot, of course, plays a variety of acoustic guitars.

In overview, Gordon Lightfoot appears fragile and is measurably ‘mellow’ in his song delivery…and, though many of his songs are near unintelligible to understand (at least to this listener) … no matter, his fans know the lyrics, and frequently sang right along with ‘Gord’ …Now, having seen and experienced many superb concerts this summer at HUMPHREYS, I would encourage this suggestion. Humphreys’ show-bookers might have the incoming groups in the future provide (in advance) their anticipated SONG LIST … add the musicians ‘names’, any tech-credits for lighting design, future artists, etc….and print-up a simple 5×7 single page kind-of-program to pass out to guests…this would be useful (for the artists themselves) to promote post-concert ‘sales’ of their CDs, informative to the audience during the performance, and, simply a great ‘little souvenir’ to the concert experience….not to exaggerate the promotion of Humphreys Concerts ‘venue’ for future events. At least…provide the PRESS with such information….we struggle to hear a song-title somewhere in the lyrics, or to understand the introduction of musicians over music being played…making clarity impossible!
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 10:38 PM   #2
RM

Default Re: HUmphrey's By The Bay review-San Diego CA.

That is hilarious.

This will probably add to Lightfoot's legend. The man who wrote "Ride Ride Ride"
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 04:28 AM   #3
joveski

those song titles belong in steve's lyrics thread
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:30 AM   #4
geodeticman.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joveski View Post
those song titles belong in steve's lyrics thread
lol ---ouch man ! I do hope one of the thread's all-star players (joveski !)meant the common mis-spells and what-not in song titles submitted in play of the game by newbies and dog-tired players lol........

-I hope you didn't mean my game-host work in the thread is that bad...lol...oh man......holy cr88 Mende ! lol I really work hard in there Mende - you now that !...please...clarify....oww !

naw.....to nice a guy... i'm just tired...

That dumba** that wrote the Humphrey's review did worse than what you said, Char -you went easy on ..him.. I've stayed there during conferences....not onsite, just the hotel stays...man its a running-down pseudo-polyester fake-Polynesian fern bar last time I was there - but I have allways liked the venue for concerts - missed one by 2 weeks there for a week-long conference..... da**....and the dog that slept previously in my room must have had a bladder problem...lol

Naw its a great ambience there, boats in their slips, ropes creaking by the stage - not 30 feet away....perfect for our Maritime Master....and the hotel/bar/restaurant is fine just joking around - its that review....guy... that I'd take five minutes bare-knuckle with....lol...I think we'd know by now if EMP did their job that poorly he could not get info from them as any professional would.....he's jealous of Lightfoot as a living legend , or a totally ignorant , arrogant, airhead who says more about himself than the concert - I'd stick with the latter...lol...man o man what a loser....
Old 10-27-2008, 04:43 PM   #5
joveski

no no!. i meant "guess the real song title by the incorrect title in the review above"!
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:07 PM   #6
jj

yes, it belong as a tangeant off of Steve's lyrics game thread

I decided to put it off of John Fowles's title protest post...it's a quick game, and I took liberty (plus some poetic license) of adding a few more by assuming the mindset of the accidental journalist...they are all from that evening's set list

http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=19019

btw, another blunder: the finale was actually Old Dan's Records
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:44 PM   #7
geodeticman.5

Joveski - Mende - lol ...I'm with ya.... thanks for the clarification...... glad its still fun - yes its pretty cryptic in there sometimes/a lot... but lately....not... anyway thanks...'preciate it. Had me worried there for a minute ....lol

And jj -lol yes...that would be a funny off-shoot-comically mis-spelled/worded song names - from the lyrics game - bloopers and out-takes hah ! lol that'd be real funny. -but I got a feelin it would hurt someone's feelings...I'd get a laugh reading it..but.....I might prefer to stay unbiased on that one...lol

Last edited by geodeticman.5; 10-27-2008 at 10:46 PM. Reason: lol a hahah I mis-spelled Joveski in THIS POST lol
geodeticman.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:51 AM   #8
Jesse Joe

{Robots} must have witten that review, too many mistakes.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:50 PM   #9
Auburn Annie

How old is "Rob"? - heh, maybe it WAS written by Robbie the Robot. Clearly he was out of his element at a Lightfoot concert. Sigh.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:39 PM   #10
Borderstone

I think I saw that guy @ San Diego!
Some young,scruffy dark curly headed guy asked me,
"How old is "George"?
Old 10-28-2008, 03:46 PM   #11
Jesse Joe

lol ! Meaning Gordon, Borderstone ? That's Hillarious !!!
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:45 AM   #12
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

I am happy to report that both my comment and Annie's have been published on the site! No request for the complete song listing yet ...
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:47 PM   #13
imported_Next_Saturday

BABY STAY BACK...heh, heh