banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 09-18-2012, 04:36 PM   #1
charlene

Default videos (25) from Charleston concert-Sept.17,2012

http://www.youtube.com/user/clubdoc?feature=watch
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #2
Don Quixote

Default Re: videos (25) from Charleston concert-Sept.17,2012

Great videos (I looked at about 1/2 of them); I just wish people wouldn't sing along.
A few observations:
1) Gord was in better voice than the last time I saw him (2005 or 06?); that's always a plus.
2) I loved that he didn't slow way down on the Trilogy; I love the faster versions, and the slower ones (like on Greatest Hits) seem like the energy is sapped out of the song by the lack of pace. It's obvious the high notes are gone now, but that's to be expected.
3) I don't know what it is about Shadows; it's a fine song on the album, but live it becomes a different, even more moving experience. I'd love to know the origins of the song.
4) Carter is an excellent player, but there was nobody like Red Shea on the Trilogy and IYCRRM.
5) Nice to see great songs like Race Among the Ruins get some play. It's sad, though, to see that Gord needs to take three breaths in a line where he used to do it in one.
6) Restless could be my theme song; it's one of those that I wish would never end.
7) Sorry, of course, that DQ got bumped to make room for some different material, but then again Gord has played and honored the song plenty over the years.

Best to all,
DQ

Last edited by Don Quixote; 09-19-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Don Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:32 AM   #3
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobench12 View Post
I think it would be appropriate to give credit to whoever actually took these amazing videos
when you click on the link that char hunted (or was alerted to) and shared then it gives you the 'credit', instantly....its the ClubDoc channel

they have 16 pages of bootleg live video

i personally don't think its right to tape an "entire" Gord concert and then upload but i doubt Gord cares... and well, I've enjoyed it... if not for this site and char then i'd have missed out

often people thank char...others lurk and click away...that's how it usually goes here

I don't know if ClubDoc generates any revenue from uploads...i know char doesn't

if you retire from here, then there is always the newsgroup for discussion

i hope ClubDoc drops in here for some thoughts...but if you want to thank them you can send a youtube message or post a comment(s)....anything goes

cheers
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:03 AM   #4
jj

DQ, i agree throughout but i do like the prior live arrangement tempo changes in CRT including the downtempo section...with that said, there is not much i like about GG1...or GG2

i don't like the predominant percussion in Clouds of Loneliness or Rather Press On (man, that races with little groove, imo)...but i always love Barry in Restless!

the best percussion mix i ever heard was when i was in the nosebleeds at Massey

Wild Strawberries is quite a composition....talented young Kenyon was once (ok, several times) over at my place and out of the blue, broke fully into an acoustic rendition that lead to a newfound appreciation for the tune, on my part

Cold on the Shoulder never gets old (even with Gord's 'old' voice)...its 100% cool

i do really love Gord's new phrasing at the end of Beautiful... "to be the one"
stretching out "one" into 3 syllables...reminds me of his "lo-oo-ong" vocal at the end of River of Light... won't see that one live again i imagine

i think i have about 97 more observations after watching those 25 videos...i'll spare all
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:05 AM   #5
charlene

Originally Posted by banjobench12
I swore to retire from this site.
I think it would be appropriate to give credit to whoever actually took these amazing videos. Sadly that is not how it goes here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
when you click on the link that char hunted (or was alerted to) and shared then it gives you the 'credit', instantly....its the ClubDoc channel

they have 16 pages of bootleg live video

i personally don't think its right to tape an "entire" Gord concert and then upload but i doubt Gord cares... and well, I've enjoyed it... if not for this site and char then i'd have missed out

often people thank char...others lurk and click away...that's how it usually goes here

I don't know if ClubDoc generates any revenue from uploads...i know char doesn't

if you retire from here, then there is always the newsgroup for discussion

i hope ClubDoc drops in here for some thoughts...but if you want to thank them you can send a youtube message or post a comment(s)....anything goes

cheers
I posted the link to videos. I have no idea who posted them at youtube but if you see the page it says CLUBDOC. Figure it out. I did not say they were mine. I did not go to the Charleston concert - My videos are posted with my reports. The last two were Manhattan and Tarrytown and the reports/pics/video that I took are there in those threads. I get NOTHING monetary for posting here or moderating this site. Well nothing but arrogant, needless attitude at times. 99.9% of what I post that is NOT mine is given credit. I always link the articles and reviews etc. I do the best I can.
Banjobench-Thanks for returning to slag me when there was no need to.

I have rec'd a PM apology from Banjobench and I invited him to continue posting.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #6
GeoMan

Thank you for posting these. Wild Strawberries was wonderfull... heard it once before and sorry I missed it this time.
GeoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:23 PM   #7
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
Wild Strawberries is quite a composition....talented young Kenyon was once (ok, several times) over at my place and out of the blue, broke fully into an acoustic rendition that lead to a newfound appreciation for the tune, on my part
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoMan View Post
Thank you for posting these. Wild Strawberries was wonderfull... heard it once before and sorry I missed it this time.

I'm with you Jimmy and Steve
Wild Strawberries has been constantly in my head since I heard it at B B Kings ten days ago
And wished I had filmed it myself.I meant to ask Char to do so at Tarrytown but it got pre-emted by 'her" song that evening!!!
it is yet another song that I had never really listened to or fully appreciated before and it shares some of the poetic magic that I love about Restless.
I mean to say these lyrics are pure genius
Hit the bounding main or be on a railroad train
Hit the boundless tide or be on a steamboat ride
Hit the bounding main or be on a midnight plane
Hit the pounding tide or be on a rainbow ride

compares well with
Of an old engine flying down a road that's iron cast
Of an old schooner roving 'Neath a sky that's ironclad
Of a cold diesel, rolling down a road that's built to last
Of an old schooner flying down a sky that's overcast

I remembered to ask Gord once how he avoided getting confused when singing Restless and he brushed it off as being easy I think he said something like "the words just flow"

I am so grateful to "clubdoc" for getting the complete Charleston concert.

The only problem now with Wild Strawberries is that it complicates my personal plan to create my own GL "Desert Island Disc"
in my posting on that subject at:-
http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showpost.p...74&postcount=5
I proposed rules to try to impose some discipline into the task of choosing 70 minutes worth (or a bit more with CD overburning) of GL songs for a single CD and said quite seriously and succinctly:-
"In addition there are a few unreleased gems that I for one would wish to take into account in particular the 1968 television version of "Face Of a Thousand People"
My rules would therefore be to enforce a minimum of one track from every album and then depending on how many of the epics you select in those 20 (I would have to include Seven Island Suite but happily ignore TWOTEF and CRT) the total time may be made up with up to a maximum of two tracks from any one album plus say one other recording (such as the aforementioned FOATP)"
The problem now is that both Restless and Wild Strawberries are on Waiting For You
and there is no way that I am going to be marooned without Restless so those two songs take up my allocation of a maximum of two tracks from any one album thus negating any other such choice

Last edited by johnfowles; 09-27-2012 at 12:09 PM.
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:47 PM   #8
charlene

[QUOTE=johnfowles;179673][FONT=Calibri]

And wished I had filmed it myself.I meant to ask Char to do so at Tarrytown but it got pre-emted by 'her" song that evening!!!

Old 09-26-2012, 11:32 PM   #9
johnfowles

[quote=charlene;179674]
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfowles View Post
Oops!! I got confused there what I should have said was that the new to the rotation song I wanted to hear and have a video of after the B.B.King
concert was Drink Yer Glasses Empty. but that most enjoyable solo with Mike was pre-emPted at Tarrytown by Gord Tagging Along for Char
Hence my thanks for the efforts of "clubdoc"
Old 09-27-2012, 03:46 PM   #10
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfowles View Post
I proposed rules to try to impose some discipline into the task of choosing 70 minutes worth (or a bit more with CD overburning) of GL songs for a single CD

Oops again more confusion on my part
Nobody has thankfully yet pointed out my deliberate mistake:-
A standard blank CD-R holds 700MB of digital data which for CD format audio equates to 80 minutes running time not 70.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:12 PM   #11
seafarer62

Wow- some of the best concert footage I have seen recently. Too bad the beer was taking effect by the time of the encore, "Cold on the Shoulder.'

So glad Gord decided to rotate some new material. Massey Hall this November should be a real treat.

Hearing "I'd Rather Press On" for the first time in concert was outstanding. I always wondered why Gord never did that one in concert previously. It really fits his work ethic these days.

Wild Strawberries and Drink Yer Glasses Empty brought back great memories of Gord during the 1993-94-95 period.

The one surprise I noted was seeing "Waiting For You" on the 12-string. Of the many times I have heard it in concert, it was always done on the 6 string.

Keep up the set lists and concerts review. Waiting now for Gord's 2013 concert schedule and getting him back out to Minnesota.
seafarer62 is offline   Reply With Quote