banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-14-2010, 06:00 PM   #1
T.G.

Default Audio: 2010-03-12 St. Petersburg, FL

Gordon Lightfoot
Mahaffey Theatre
St. Petersburg, Florida
March 12th, 2010
Very Good Audience Recording

Gordon Lightfoot - Guitar, Vocals
Mike Hefferman - Keyboards
Terry Clements - Guitar
Barry Keane - Drums
Rick Haynes - Bass

1. Cotton Jenny
2. Carefree Highway
3. Sea Of Tranquility
4. 14 Karat Gold
5. Never Too Close
6. A Painter Passing Through
7. Let It Ride
8. Rainy Day People
9. Shadows
10. Beautiful
11. The Watchman's Gone
12. Ribbon Of Darkness
13. Sundown
14. Song Intro
15. Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald
16. Triangle
17. Hangdog Hotel Room
18. Restless
19. Clouds Of Loneliness
20. Waiting For You
21. Fine As Fine Can Be
22. If You Could Read My Mind
23. Don Quixote
24. If Children Had Wings
25. Baby Step Back
26. Band Intros
27. Early Morning Rain
28. Song For A Winter's Night
29. Blackberry Wine
30. Canadian Railroad Trilogy

http://rapidshare.com/files/375660131/GLSPF10Part1.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/375681810/GLSPF10Part2.rar
T.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:30 AM   #2
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles
Default Re: Audio: 2010-03-12 St. Petersburg, FL

An interesting find Tony
it is certainly a well recorded ROIO (Recording Of Independant Origin) and the pair of rar (similar to zip) files you can download from rapidshare contain two sets of high quality mp3s sampled at the high rate of 320KBPS.I had previously found this as a (Bit) torrent where as befits the aim of torrents to enable the sharing of the highest quality concert files this concert downloaded as flacs
(FLAC Free Lossless Audio Codec) format files which as their name indicates are capable of being reconstituted (decoded) back to the identical full format as found on a CD (mp3s of course are
"lossy"because in order to achieve a higher level of compression certain information such as the high end frequencies only dogs can hear is discarded.
Regarding flacs as they arrive they will not play in a standard media player nor AFAIK can every burning program burn them directly to a CD.Hitherto I had labouriously used a freebie called FLAC FrontEnd to decode the flacs to the more "standard" wav format files to play and burn
I have recently made two breakthrough discoveries,
Firstly I found that it was possible to install a suitable free codec "plug in" in Windows Media Player that enables WMP to play unconverted flacs
Secondly I found that another neat bit of freeware called Express Burn will burn CDs directly from the flacs.
Not only that but by selecting the Session track At Once burning option it is possible to completely eliminate the gap or pause between tracks so that if the set of flacs are the complete concert with nothing left out the resulting CD will play continuously. I suspect that most burning programs can do this but Express Burn presents the option in a very obvious and user friendly manner, as explained in the program's help
"Burn Session At Once to customise pause
Track Pause
By default an audio CD has a pause of 2 seconds between tracks. Select 'Use default track pause' to use this default pause. If you wish another time, even a value of zero for no pause then select 'Burn Session At Once to customise pause'. Here you should also change the value in 'Track Pause' to the desired amount.
Please note some older drivers do not support customising the pause and you must use 'Use default track pause'. The burn will fail in this case with an error about setting the write parameters"
That setting works a treat on my CD burner

Regular readers of my musings will not be surprised to read that I am at this very moment preparing an illustrated tutorial on this feature!!
The torrent announcer in his info file for the St Pete's concert as available at one of the two principal torrent listing websites
http://www.dimeadozen.org
(the other site is http://www.hungercity.com)
had included a note headed "lineage" which said:-
"ca-11 -> stc-9000 -> r-09hr 24/96 -> soundforge 16/44.1 -> flac"
I have also found a forum in which a member had asked about using some concert recording equipment and had usefully said:-
"I recently bought an edirol R-09hr and was using CA-11 cardiods with the STC-9000 preamp"
Googling revealed that
the edirol R-09hr .is a small (4.5 x 2.5 x 1.1 inches) High-Resolution WAVE/MP3 Recorder that is sold by Amazon
Also on the torrent page a member had left a comment in which he apologetically gave links to a pair of "primitive" CD jewel case insert artwork suggestions

Which IMHO are not too shabby

Last edited by johnfowles; 04-15-2010 at 09:12 AM.
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:04 PM   #3
T.G.

Bit Torrents give me the heebee jeebee's LOL And I don't have a high-speed net connection, so straight MP3 downloads are what works for me. But good to know this info for the audiophiles out there.
T.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:25 PM   #4
imported_Next_Saturday

And of course, you're sending royalties to GL, right? Why is this considered OK to do?
Old 04-16-2010, 07:54 AM   #5
charlene

I'm hesitant to download from the winrar site..is it safe?
is it available in MP3 form anywhere?
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:49 AM   #6
joveski

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
I'm hesitant to download from the winrar site..is it safe?
is it available in MP3 form anywhere?
these sites are safe. you'll get a zip file where the mp3's are stored. i've never had a problem with rapidshare.

its great that these shows have been put up for download. some of us havent got the money to travel to Massey, or werent born when Gord came to Australia in 1974!
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:05 AM   #7
charlene

if anyone ahs them in MP3 format can they send them to me? I've tried the rapidshare but got only one downloaded in the FREE category..
Old 04-16-2010, 08:54 PM   #8
johnfowles

Quote:
if anyone ahs them in MP3 format can they send them to me? I've tried the rapidshare but got only one downloaded in the FREE category..
My dear Modem Maderator
you are plainly doing something badly wrong because for the life of me I cannot figure it out what it could possibly be, unless you innocently assumed that the single file you were about to or had already downloaded from the rapidshare link Tony provided was that of a
single albeit uncharacteristically large mp3, whereas it was actually an "archive" type file broadly similar to a zip file that comprised the compressed remains of all 15 tracks each in mp3 format
The way the rar files are set up (each containing every mp3 for each of the two sets(concerts) there is no way that you could only download one mp3.free or otherwise

To help you and anybody else with a logic challenge I will now give a mini tutorial
  1. for the St Pete's concert click the two links (one at a time of course) as provided by
    Tony G
    http://rapidshare.com/files/375660131/GLSPF10Part1.rar
    and
    http://rapidshare.com/files/375681810/GLSPF10Part2.rar
  2. the rapidshare site will open displaying
    an encouraging note like this for set 1
    FILE DOWNLOAD
    http://rapidshare.com/files/375660131/GLSPF10Part1.rar | 128185 KB
    under which are two peurile "speedometers"
    a slow speed one for the hoi polloi of free users

and a higher speed one for the plutocrats amongst you who want to waste good money (up to 23 cents a day, makes no sense to me,to become a premium user)

3. click the free user button
  4. a boring countdown from 88 seconds will keep you amused for a while
  5. but in time you should see a nice download button
  6. click the button
  7. you will get a dialog box showing the name of the rar file (GLSPF10Part1.rar ) and its size and a choice of "open" or "save" which option you choose is not important as both will start the throttled download of the file. On my Verizon high speed Internet this took about 13 minutes.
  8. Now "unrar" the downloaded rar file
    you might already have a suitable unzipping program so use it to unrar the rar to reveal the
    15 or so mp3s in each part.
  9. If you do not have a suitable program do not despair but see my posting on the
    "Seattle 1974" rapidshare thread in which I thoroughly recommend a freeware unzip and unrar utility called jzip
  10. see:-

11. http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showpost.p...count=2http://
  12. in that posting I have also promoted the use of a freeware CD burning program called Express Burn courtesy of some Aussies who are plainly not hooligans as it is ideal for what should be (and presumably were before being split into individual tracks and burnt with the usual CD 2 second gap between tracks) continuous concert recordings because it has an extremely easy to set up and use facility to burn with virtually no gaps beteween the tracks, a trick that I had wanted to know how to do for a very long gtime
  13. Please send me a Private Message if I have not made myself crystal clear
    and/or
  14. Consider a donation to me as a good cause

Last edited by johnfowles; 05-19-2010 at 02:53 PM. Reason: revised link to jzip thread mention
Old 04-16-2010, 09:24 PM   #9
charlene

it all worked but my free downloads are over.. even tried on lisa's laptop.
no more downloads for madam moderator..
Old 04-17-2010, 01:54 AM   #10
johnfowles

Quote:
it all worked but my free downloads are over.. even tried on lisa's laptop.
no more downloads for madam moderator..
Sorry Modom but I completely failed to understand what you meant by that statement. Exactly what "worked" and/or why did you give up trying to
download the two rar files, which comprised 100% of the free downloads and would if you had followed my instructions have given you the requisite 30 odd individual mp3s that make up the two concert sets.
I await my donation with bated breath!!

Last edited by johnfowles; 04-17-2010 at 01:56 AM.