banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 05-24-2016, 02:17 PM   #1
charlene

Default LONDON UK-Royal Albert Hall-May 25,2016

Carter: Tonight I'm performing at Royal Albert Hall in London England with the legendary Gordon Lightfoot. I've wanted to perform here my entire life so this is a huge bucket list item for me! In photos 1 and 2 you can see a light in one of the stalls. That's the queens box. Just saying...

charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 02:20 PM   #2
charlene

Default Re: LONDON UK-Royal Albert Hall-May 25,2016

RICK: Finally, back to the Royal Albert Hall in London, yes, the one in England. We were here in 1971 with Red Shea on guitar and in 1975 with Terry Clements and PeeWee Charles.

Old 05-24-2016, 02:28 PM   #3
charlene

RICK:Sound check this afternoon at the Royal Albert Hall in London, England>

Old 05-24-2016, 10:52 PM   #4
Dan O'Malley

Yes!!! It was the triumph I hoped for. Packed house, and a great show. Oxford tomorrow, this is a pretty special week! My parents and brother attended tonight, and were bowled over! I'm making new converts everyday!!! lol
Old 05-25-2016, 05:13 AM   #5
Jim Nasium

I hope the good people of Oxford are not confused and turn up for Gordon in Oxford tonight (25th)
Jim Nasium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:23 AM   #6
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
RICK: Finally, back to the Royal Albert Hall in London, yes, the one in England. We were here in 1971 with Red Shea on guitar and in 1975 with Terry Clements and PeeWee Charles.
AND 1981 with both Pee Wee and that Heffernan dude

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:39 AM   #7
imported_Next_Saturday

Default Gordon Lightfoot, tour review: Hushed tones of a great survivor

http://www.standard.co.uk/goingout/m...-a3256211.html

“My name is Gordon Lightfoot,” chuckled the man himself, 35 years after his last London show, “and rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated.” So they have, but only just: he has been pronounced dead by Twitter and recovered from both a stroke and an aortic aneurysm.

Unlike fellow Canadians Leonard Cohen, Joni Mitchell and Neil Young, Lightfoot has never quite received the acclaim his 54-year recording career unquestionably deserves, despite his Early Morning Rain being covered by Elvis Presley, Bob Dylan and Paul Weller. Whether, at the ripe old age of 77, he should still be taking that splendid catalogue on the road is more open to debate and last night wasn’t an entirely glorious return to the land where he hosted the BBC’s Country & Western Show in 1962.

Lightfoot’s once velvet voice is now reduced to a muted croak, which may have rendered the extraordinary If You Could Read My Mind more cutting still, but it wreaked havoc on story songs such as The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald and the jealousy-infused Sundown.

For all the supple subtlety of his gifted four-piece band, the frustratingly hushed sound struggled to reach beyond the first few rows and, least forgivably of all, Lightfoot undermined his own canon by radically shortening a clutch of staples including Rainy Day People, “so we can play more songs”. Sometimes, more is less.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:52 PM   #8
T.G.

Default Re: Gordon Lightfoot, tour review: Hushed tones of a great survivor

Yep, turn up the P.A. ...
T.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:31 PM   #9
charlene

Old 05-25-2016, 11:23 PM   #10
charlene

https://paintbynumberdreams.com/2016...l-albert-hall/

It is always a privilege to see music in the glorious surrounds of the Royal Albert Hall. The presence of the Hall, with the sumptuous elegance of its red velvet upholstery, detailed blonde woodwork and majestic dome brings a sense of occasion to proceedings. And the acoustics as the music resonates beneath that dome and around the circular forum are second to none.

Over the years the Hall’s played host to a who’s who of the British and international music aristocracy as is attested to by the photographs which line its vast circular corridors.

I’ve been blessed, as a resident of far removed Australia, to have been able to have frequently visited this august space including for performances by the likes of Sting, Crosby Stills & Nash and Bob Dylan (whose 1966 performance here was one of the high points of his increasingly seminal Bootleg series).

Tonight I’m here to see Gordon Lightfoot, a much overlooked folk singer and songwriter from Canada who can lay claim to some of the finest songs of the last 50 years including If I Could Read Your Mind (a song with few peers)and Early Mornin’ Rain.

The elegant simplicity of the groove, the beguiling richness of the melodies – which, quietly, but surely, insinuate themselves into your consciousness – are the stamp of songwriting at its finest. And its not just the well known tacks but a pervasive quality throughout the the whole set from I’d Rather Press On to The Wreck of Edmund Fitzgerald, Sundown and Baby Step Back.

These gems are delivered in a polished form by a sympathetically understated but precisely accomplished band and Lightfoot himself out front on vocals and acoustic guitar.

And if Lighfoot’s vocals are showing the wear and tear of age, lacking the sonorous depth which they once had, he is not alone in that. From Nelson to Nash, Kristofferson and, yes, Dylan we are regularly exposed to artists whose vocals may not be what they once were but who nevertheless deliver for us in live performance.

It may require a degree of generosity from the audience, perhaps even a suspension of disbelief. But the point is that such a reaction is not purely altruistic on our part but rather reflects a deeper respect in the audience which is not given but earned. Earned by the pure artistry and genius of the music which these artists have created.

And so it is tonight. I cannot help but be in awe of the artist, the songwriter, the band and the venue. As Lightfoot and his band leave the stage, I do not hesitate to rise, from my seat in the Grand Tier, to my feet to join the adulation bestowed by a solid core of tonight’s audience.

And if the ovation is less than unanimous then perhaps some are simply incapable of suspending disbelief.

Old 05-26-2016, 12:10 PM   #11
Seven_Islands

I didn't hear anything negative from the audience at all as I left the show (someone was lamenting the absence of 'Daylight Katy' from the setlist, which could surely only happen in the UK!) and while the audience wasn't exactly wild I did only spot about 4 other folk under the age of 40 (or was that 60!) - I think they appreciated what they had, frankly.

As for me - pure heaven. His voice was actually stronger than I was expecting and if this is to be the only time I see him (which seems more than likely) he offered the perfect setlist for me (Watchman, Now and Then, Shadows, Waiting For You all present and correct - bliss I tell you!) - will admit to getting a bit teary as he walked onstage...now if he could just have a word with a certain Mr Cummings about what a nice place to play the UK is my full gig bucket list will be ticked off!!
Seven_Islands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 11:34 AM   #12
charlene

SETLIST:
1 The Watchman’s Gone
2 Sea of Tranquility
3 Now and Then
4 All the Lovely Ladies
5 Drifters
6 A Painter Passing Through
7 Christian Island