banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 02-27-2001, 05:52 AM   #1
Brenda

Of the "Final Four" I wouldn't feel too bad if "Old Dan's Records" and "Salute" are never released on CD. I could get by if "Dream Street Rose" was not duplicated. But "Shadows" is probably my favorite LP in the Warner/Reprise Catalog. I think sluggish sales from LP's, cassettes and 8-tracks are what's keeping these "Final Four" on ice. "I'd like to love you once, I'd love to love you twice". I wanted to say that to a woman I knew at the time, but her husband may have taken a dim view of it.

------------------
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 05:52 AM   #2
Westernstar9

Of the "Final Four" I wouldn't feel too bad if "Old Dan's Records" and "Salute" are never released on CD. I could get by if "Dream Street Rose" was not duplicated. But "Shadows" is probably my favorite LP in the Warner/Reprise Catalog. I think sluggish sales from LP's, cassettes and 8-tracks are what's keeping these "Final Four" on ice. "I'd like to love you once, I'd love to love you twice". I wanted to say that to a woman I knew at the time, but her husband may have taken a dim view of it.

------------------
Westernstar9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 06:04 PM   #3
joveski

no. ODR and salute need to be released.
ODR is caught up in that early 70s heyday that he's labelled with. People consider DQ as a masterpiece (a bit overrated, but a good album) and Sundown has his most popular song on it. Then we have ODR hidden away between them and it's a transitional album. There's not much of a connection between DQ and sundown - that connection is shown on ODR

Salute can bring his music over to younger people like me. Sure EOM is the most polished album, but it sounds a bit weak (his voice is too nasal on some tracks, and there are too many synths ect in it - but it still reaches out a younger audience). Salute has a stronger vocal and a more relaxed orchestration. Some of my friends who hate lightfoot have admitted that they like Salute, without you, and broken dreams. That says it all.

DSR and shadows sound so alike that they can be released on one disk (aka UA collection). To get copies of these, all it takes is for someone with good condition vinyl albums to get someone to transfer them on CD. I've got DSR and shadows both one disk as CD quality albums.

But salute and ODR do need to be released.
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 03:13 AM   #4
Brenda

I probably would buy "Salute" and "Old Dan's Records" on CD if available. They are not totally worthless albums, and I didn't mean to imply that they were. The albums "Cold On The Shoulder" and "Endless Wire" may have joined the Final Four if it weren't for the fact that they benefitted from having followed hit LP's "Sundown" and "Summertime Dream". A lot of casual fans bought those LP's thinking that the albums would score big. They didn't even though "Slide On Over" has a very similar beat, chord structure and orchestration to "Sundown". Truth be told I was never crazy about "Sundown", but I know it has to be included in any "collection" that WB releases. As far as combining "Dream Street Rose" and "Shadows" I could really go for that! I think my personal life was going much better when "Shadows" was released so for that reason, I tend to like it a bit better.

------------------
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 03:13 AM   #5
Westernstar9

I probably would buy "Salute" and "Old Dan's Records" on CD if available. They are not totally worthless albums, and I didn't mean to imply that they were. The albums "Cold On The Shoulder" and "Endless Wire" may have joined the Final Four if it weren't for the fact that they benefitted from having followed hit LP's "Sundown" and "Summertime Dream". A lot of casual fans bought those LP's thinking that the albums would score big. They didn't even though "Slide On Over" has a very similar beat, chord structure and orchestration to "Sundown". Truth be told I was never crazy about "Sundown", but I know it has to be included in any "collection" that WB releases. As far as combining "Dream Street Rose" and "Shadows" I could really go for that! I think my personal life was going much better when "Shadows" was released so for that reason, I tend to like it a bit better.

------------------
Westernstar9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 01:11 PM   #6
Borderstone

Default Re: "The Final Four"

Just bringing this thread up as a reminder of what the "final four" Cd's originally were. In relation to my topic "How long did it take?"
Old 04-14-2008, 10:10 PM   #7
timetraveler

I have "Salute!", "Old Dan's Records", "Shadows", and "Dream Street Rose" on CD, and they sound fantastic. Sometime around the first of the month I'm going to see if Barnes & Nobles can order some of Gords other albums that are on disc. To date, I have a total of 10 of his albums on disc & am loving them all.
timetraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 10:18 PM   #8
Doug

Send a message via AIM to Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderstone View Post
reminder of what the "final four" Cd's originally were.
I spoke with a guy named Peter who said the name "Final Four" came about around the time the NCAA Basketball tournament was going on several years ago.

Ya know, Sweet Sixteen, Elite Eight and Final Four