banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 10-27-2012, 06:01 PM   #1
charlene

Default Lightfoot @ Halftime show during Grey Cup

Lightfoot, Burton Cummings, http://www.cfl.ca/article/sirius-halftime-show
U.S. coverage on NBC - The 100th Grey Cup Game will be played Sunday, November 25th at Rogers Centre in Toronto, Canada. It will be telecast live on TSN and RDS in Canada, and NBC Sports Network in the United States and available to SiriusXM subscribers on Sirius channel 157 and XM channel 160.

CFL.ca Staff

TORONTO – The 100th Grey Cup will feature one of the greatest collections of Canadian musical talent ever assembled with international superstar Justin Bieber, Carly Rae Jepsen, Marianas Trench, and Gordon Lightfoot lighting up the SiriusXM Grey Cup Half-Time Show and Burton Cummings and Johnny Reid headlining a special Kick-Off Show.

“We are absolutely thrilled to unveil an All-Canadian, All-Star line-up that features the biggest pop star in the world, the woman who gave us one of the biggest songs ever, one of the hottest young bands in the country, an iconic balladeer, a rock and roll legend, and one of this country’s leading entertainers,” said Mark Cohon, Commissioner of the Canadian Football League.

“This array of stars will command a huge and diverse audience, entertaining our most loyal fans and attracting new ones to our game’s greatest showcase. It spans genres and generations. And it’s quintessentially Canadian and undoubtedly world class, at the same time.”

The 100th Grey Cup Game will be played Sunday, November 25th at Rogers Centre in Toronto, Canada. It will be telecast live on TSN and RDS in Canada, and NBC Sports Network in the United States and available to SiriusXM subscribers on Sirius channel 157 and XM channel 160.

And SiriusXM Canada is proud to present what promises to be the biggest and most watched show in the game’s long and storied history.

“We are excited to present the SiriusXM Grey Cup Halftime Show for football and music fans across Canada,” said Paul Cunningham, Vice President, Sales and Marketing, SiriusXM Canada Inc. “With the caliber of Canadian performers taking the stage, audiences are in for an amazing entertainment experience. The strength of the artists performing this year and the cross-section of music genres that will be showcased, makes SiriusXM’s sponsorship a great fit and aligns perfectly with the broad listening experience that we offer Canadians each and every day.”

Born in London, Ontario and raised in Stratford, pop superstar Justin Bieber has one of the largest followings in the history of not only Canadian music but the global music scene. With worldwide album sales in excess of 17 million units, Justin has dominated pop culture and social media for more than two years. He has over 47 million Facebook followers, nearly 29 million Twitter followers, and over 3 billion YouTube views – he is far and away the most popular YouTube artist of all time.

Bieber’s double platinum selling album, BELIEVE, debuted at #1 on the Nielsen Soundscan Top Albums Chart and also debuted at #1 in 30 additional countries. BELIEVE features his brand new hit single “Beauty And A Beat”.

From Mission, British Columbia, singer and songwriter Carly Rae Jepsen became a breakout star when the song she co-authored, “Call Me Maybe”, went platinum six times, selling more than 10 million singles worldwide, and climbed to #1 in more than 37 countries, including the U.S. where it spent a record-breaking nine weeks atop the Billboard Hot 100. Earlier this year, she released her second studio album, titled KISS.

Justin and Carly Rae are currently on the BELIEVE world tour.

Marianas Trench is one of the hottest young pop-rock bands in the world. From Vancouver, British Columbia, the band has released three full length studio albums. The most recent, titled EVER AFTER, has been certified platinum, nominated for Juno Award and smash singles “Haven't Had Enough”, “Fallout and Desperate Measures” display Marianas Trench at its soaring artistic peak.

Winnipeg-born Burton Cummings is a rock and roll legend whose art has transcended time, genres and generations. From his lead role with Canada's original rock n' roll superstars, the Guess Who, to his solo career and such hits as "Stand Tall" and "I'm Scared", to his successful reunion tour with Guess Who alumnus Randy Bachman and the release of the THE BACHMAN CUMMINGS SONGBOOK, to his just-released, first-ever live solo album MASSEY HALL, Cummings is truly Canadian rock and roll royalty.

Gordon Lightfoot is a Canadian music icon, often referred to as the country’s greatest songwriter and internationally acclaimed as a folk-rock legend, whose albums have achieved gold and multi-platinum status around the world, and whose songs, including “Canadian Railroad Trilogy”, “For Lovin’ Me”, “Early Morning Rain”, “If you Could Read My Mind”, “Rainy Day People”, and “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald”, have also been recorded by the world’s most renowned artists. He is a Companion of the Order of Canada, the country’s highest civilian honour.

Acclaimed singer/songwriter Johnny Reid moved to Canada from Scotland at age 13. Today he is one of the biggest entertainers in the country with each of his 6 full length albums achieving platinum or multi-platinum status and reaching combined sales of over a million units. His most recent release is the double-platinum album, FIRE IT UP which garnered multiple CCMA Awards and spawned a headlining SOLD-OUT arena tour that received rave reviews across the country and solidified his stature as a world class artist.

“From the day we started planning the 100th Grey Cup, we declared it would be a celebration of our storied past and our bright future,” Cohon said.

“The superbly talented performers who will grace this grand stage symbolize the fact that our game – and the enduring symbol of national unity and pride that is the Grey Cup – belongs to every Canadian and every generation. And we couldn’t be prouder or more excited.”
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:22 PM   #2
KHester

Default Re: Lightfoot @ Halftime show during Grey Cup

Hopefully the halftime show won't become one of the debacles that our Superbowl halftime show has.

Kevin
Old 10-27-2012, 07:43 PM   #3
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHester View Post
Hopefully the halftime show won't become one of the debacles that our Superbowl halftime show has.

Kevin
Cannot imagine Gord lip synching or air guitar...

But don't rule out the possibility of a red velvet blazer malfunction!

Hmmm, solo version of Let it Ride?
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:42 PM   #4
charlene

Gord's running @ 70% right now - vote - click on his picture part way down the page @ http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle4710563/
Old 10-29-2012, 08:12 PM   #5
Melissa

.......and the closest competitor is at 12%!!!!!!

I love it!

Melissa
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:38 PM   #6
lighthead2toe

Just had to bite on this one and caste my vote here.

Sure looks good for our Gord.

As irony would have it the Grey Cup was on display here in Ottawa just last week at Rideau Hall while relatives were visiting us and we had a wonderful afternoon just walking about the grounds and sightseeing.

The Grey Cup is covered with plaques of all the winning teams together with names of the players.

We took a few pics of the cup and hopefully we'll get them up for the sharing.

Interestingly, Chris Morris, who played with the Edmonton Eskimos, now retired and a "Wall of Fame" recipient in the NFL used to babysit our kids when when we lived in Scarborough, Ontario.

I remember when Chris came into the kitchen he kind of had to "duck under" the doorway entrance. He's a really great guy. Lots of stars for you Chris.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #7
charlene

keep voting!!!
Old 11-24-2012, 01:20 PM   #8
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post

But don't rule out the possibility of a red velvet blazer ?

just got my first commomorative 100th Grey Cup loonie. nice

http://www.google.ca/search?q=loonie...UbBaldYo6SF0M:

what a great week its been and big weekend ahead in Toronto. a celebration of the nation. 30 years since the game and Argonauts have both been in this city

questions:

what four stanzas or CRT will Gord be singing?

what will he wear?

what will be the score of the game?

the 1971 Agro documentary aired the other night featuring Joe Theisman and the boys. great footage. i was at the first game Theisman and Leon McQuay played in Toronto, which was at Varsity Stadium.

the furthest doc to the right is the one. The Greatest Team That Never Won

http://www.tsn.ca/greycup/#
Old 11-24-2012, 01:29 PM   #9
charlene

It is DAMN cold here- a couple of days ago it was over 50!
Gordon will be wearing his black trousers, black dress boots, probably his white shirt and his new bluish/black velvet jacket he wore at massey last week...he said he got it specifically for the half time show..
Not sure what stanzas he will sing but it sure will be weird to not hear all the others!
I couldnt' give a rats ass about the game or score..
I am not a football fan but will hazard a guess just for shits and giggles..Argos 31 Calgary 22..
or the other way around.lolol

Lisa and I will be @ The George Canyon show here in Whitby when the game is being played and having some fun with Ed Ringwald, aka Pee Wee Charles who plays in his band...I'm sure George (a Maritimer but now living in Calgary) and the band and folks at the show will be kept up to date about the score...
Old 11-24-2012, 03:42 PM   #10
charlene

http://metronews.ca/sports/452146/li...halftime-show/

TORONTO – They are two boys from Ontario, who grew up about 300 kilometres from each other.

But the distance is galactic between the two acts that will bookend the Grey Cup halftime show Sunday — grizzled folk rocker Gordon Lightfoot and baby-faced former moptopper Justin Bieber.

Some CFL fans aren’t feeling the love for Bieber, who typically draws an audience far too young for the beer that is a staple of Grey Cup celebrations.

Comment sections on news websites suggest that even with the roof closed for Sunday’s game, the welcome at the Rogers Centre may not be all that warm for the mega-star from Stratford, Ont.

But league executives are delighted with their headliner, knowing full well a demographic that would never otherwise tune into the CFL’s season finale may now be planning their day around the halftime show.

“Yes, we want to get new people watching it, we want to get young people watching it,” CFL commissioner Mark Cohon says of the show’s lineup.

The halftime show will also feature the band Marianas Trench and Mission, B.C., pop sensation Carly Rae Jepsen, whose “Call Me Maybe” is the ear worm song of the year.

“People ask me if the decision on the halftime show was your 6 1/2-year-old daughter and I will say, ‘No.’ But the decision was strategic to making sure we get young people to think about the next 100 years, that this is about getting a new audience to get into the Grey Cup and the CFL.”

The 15-minute halftime show will be a tight production, the CFL promises, performed on a stage that will be lowered from the stadium’s rafters.

It will open with Lightfoot, a Bob Dylan contemporary and Canadian music icon. In fact, Lightfoot, 74, personified CanCon before former prime minister Pierre Trudeau’s policy of reserving space on Canadian airwaves for home-grown music laid the foundation for the waves of Canadian music megastars that followed.

There may be some interplay of performers — Bieber has boosted Jepsen’s career and she’s handing off to him. But don’t expect to see Lightfoot leaning in to provide backing vocals on “Baby” or Bieber, 18, trilling along to “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.” (For the record, the CFL isn’t releasing the official song lineup in advance.)

“That’s not going to happen, no,” says Sara Moore, the league’s vice-president of marketing. “I think both artists on their own make such a strong statement, and have their own fans, and have such iconic songs in the case of Gordon Lightfoot and really fun pop songs to sing along with Justin Bieber that I think we showcase them both so much better by letting them sing on their own.”

Getting Bieber is a major coup, Moore admits. She won’t reveal how the star was landed, but says he’s a fan of the game.

“He grew up in Ontario. He’s a fan of Canadian football. And he was actually … I mean, I don’t want to make it sound easy, but it was a great match. And I think he saw that,” she says.

“He’s touring right now. He’s got a very successful tour. It’s in Canada right now, which makes it easier than it might have been, had he been in Asia or Europe to get him to come back. So I think all of the stars aligned, so to speak, to make this happen this weekend.”

The league has heard from fans that don’t think Bieber and the Grey Cup are a great match, she admits. But with tickets for the 100th edition of the CFL championship sold out months before the halftime show came together, there’s no risk for the league in plowing ahead anyway.

And in fact, there may be more risk for Canadian football if it doesn’t bring Bieber fans and their demographic on board.

“Anything that makes it to a hundred has to keep reinventing itself to some extent. Has to keep being fresh and new,” Moore says.

“We’ve been really focused on using the opportunity of the 100th milestone to celebrate the past but really focus everybody’s attention on the great position the league is in now and what the future is for our league.

“And if you look at young artists, like Justin Bieber and Carly Rae Jepsen, and who their fans are, that is our future. That is the future of this league.”
Old 11-24-2012, 04:53 PM   #11
charlene

on twitter - Gordon Lightfoot doing a #greycup soundcheck at Rogers Centre. #listeningtoalegend

Gordon Lightfoot #greycup soundcheck shown on Rogers Centre big screen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	x2_fbc3a73.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	5616  
Old 11-24-2012, 05:05 PM   #12
Dave, Melbourne,Australia

[QUOTE=jj;180239]What four stanzas of CRT will Gord be singing?

Here's my guess, which covers the "before, during and after" and includes something from each part of the fast-slow-fast trilogy:

There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run
When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun
Long before the white man and long before the wheel
When the green dark forest was too silent to be real

Bring in the workers and bring up the rails
We gotta lay down the tracks and tear up the trails
Open 'er heart let the life blood flow
Gotta get on our way 'cause we're movin' too slow

We are the navvies who work upon the railway
Swingin' our hammers in the bright blazin' sun
Layin' down track and buildin' the bridges
Bendin' our old backs 'til the railroad is done

For there was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run
And many are the dead men too silent to be real
Dave, Melbourne,Australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:24 PM   #13
charlene

could be Dave! - is that around 2:40??
Old 11-24-2012, 07:35 PM   #14
jj

[quote=Dave, Melbourne,Australia;180244]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
What four stanzas of CRT will Gord be singing?
good crack at it, dave. i go with this

So over the mountains and over the plains
Into the muskeg and into the rain
Up the St. Lawrence all the way to Gaspe
Swingin' our hammers and drawin' our pay
Drivin' 'em in and tyin' 'em down
Away to the bunkhouse and into the town
A dollar a day and a place for my head
A drink to the livin' and a toast to the dead

Oh the song of the future has been sung
All the battles have been won
O'er the mountain tops we stand
All the world at our command
We have opened up the soil
With our teardrops and our toil

And many are the dead men too silent to be real

and like our mayor (chris farley) i will go with argos over calgary 30-21

char, will gord wear low crotch black pants, like Beiber did on that AMA show?

wow, the Wreck at halftime would be a real buzz kill

ron, i plan on climbing to the top rung of the ladder
Old 11-25-2012, 12:44 AM   #15
charlene

Gordon Lightfoot on the stadium big screen during his soundcheck at the darkened Rogers Centre. Note the hotel guests in rooms surrounding the big screen, pressed up against their windows to catch a glimpse of the legendary singer-songwriter. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Gregory Strong
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2aa3011f-9ce3-4b6b-94e6-de312be4abdb_500[1].jpg
Views:	524
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	5617  
Old 11-25-2012, 12:49 AM   #16
charlene

another:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A8hFkl3CYAAheDF[1].jpg
Views:	506
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	5618  
Old 11-25-2012, 04:13 PM   #17
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Looking forward to the show - and it's real football too, nice.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:31 PM   #18
charlene

bigger field...and bigger balls...

Old 11-25-2012, 05:01 PM   #19
niffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
bigger field...and bigger balls...

lol!
niffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:18 PM   #20
charlene

Even Queen Elizabeth is excited about the 100th Grey Cup being played Sunday.

Her Royal Highness has sent a message to Canadians pointing out the links between football and England.

"It is with great pleasure that I extend my sincere best wishes to all Canadians as they prepare to mark the 100th Grey Cup – a trophy first donated by The Earl of Grey in 1909 who served with distinction and pride as Governor-General of Canada from 1909 to 1911," the Queen said in a message.

"I note with some interest that, on the same weekend that the championship game of the Canadian Football League is being played in Toronto, the city will also play host to the Canadian inter-university sport football contest. The winning team will be the recipient of the Vanier Cup, which is named after another distinguished Governor General – Major-General Georges Vanier. In this way, the link between the Canadian Crown and Canadian football is particularly meaningful – especially in this year when the 100th Grey Cup coincides with my Diamond Jubilee as Queen of Canada.

"I wish all teams, players and fans a most enjoyable weekend."

There's no word on who the Queen favours in the game between the Calgary Stampeders and Toronto Argonauts.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:00 PM   #21
jj

Smaller salaries. Most players need off season jobs

Lesser talent, of course but more excitement on 2nd down...and shorter quarterbacks fair well. Flutie is back enjoying the party.

New tradition was the public on the streets passing the cup from Varsity Stadium to the Dome. No damage done apparently!

Umm...I've clutched both balls and slightly favour the larger

I cheer the Argonauts but don't bleed double blue like I did in the 70s and 80s
Looking for a nice contest with officials keeping low

Well, Enjoy...BW is my designated driver
Old 11-25-2012, 11:20 PM   #22
Melissa

It was great. I could hear the stadium crowd singing along with CRT!

I was surprised to see GL by himself, without the "orchestra" - but I could certainly HEAR them! I suppose they recorded their parts and he sang along with the playback. Either that, or they were hidden somewhere. lol

In any event, it was awesome to see Gord there, and I was thrilled we got it here in the US.

Melissa
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:20 PM   #23
Yuri

Bieber booed, Lightfoot lauded during splashy Grey Cup halftime show
http://www.citytv.com/toronto/cityne...-halftime-show
Nick Patch-Canadian Press (City News Toronto

Justin Bieber faced a hostile homecoming at the 100th Grey Cup on Sunday, with the jeering capacity crowd at the raucous Rogers Centre providing the teen idol with a reception as unyieldingly cold as a long Canadian winter.

The 18-year-old grew up roughly 150 kilometres down the road in Stratford, Ont., but that didn't help his cause with the rowdy crowd on hand, who took aim at the ubiquitous pop star whenever possible.

They booed when his face popped up on the JumboTron. They booed when a host spoke his name at the onset of halftime. And they booed with extra glee as he took the stage and throughout his medley of the finger-snapping, chart-topping hit "Boyfriend" and the disco-inflected club come-on "Beauty and a Beat."

If Bieber was bothered by the boo-birds, it didn't show.

"It's an honour to be here at the Grey Cup in Canada," he said, a smile tugging at his lips despite the reaction.

"Make some noise. I said make some noise!"

Unfortunately, they crowd obliged. More boos.

Still, Bieber was outwardly unruffled. Clad in a black leather tanktop with baggy pants and a gold chain dangling around his neck, he put in a lithe performance, slickly executing his steps surrounded by dancers dressed in black-and-gold letterman jackets branded with his second initial.

As he wrapped up "Beat" — which typically features a verse from rap's reigning oddball queen Nicki Minaj — a dazzling array of pyro popped into the air and at first the crowd responded enthusiastically. But once again, the cheers dissolved into boos.

"Thank you so much Canada," Bieber announced, ignoring the response. "I love you."

If the feeling of this particular crowd wasn't mutual, there were certainly omens. There were those early-game jeers any time Bieber's face popped up onscreen, and as fans poured into the Rogers Centre, few summoned much enthusiasm for the teen idol.

Most figured that while Bieber is a bona fide draw — an international star and tabloid fixture whose latest record "Believe" became his third straight to reach multi-platinum status in Canada after its June release — most of those fans simply weren't at the game.

Surely, the CFL was hoping to court his army of tween followers (numbering more than 30.6 million), who hang on Bieber's every tweet but might otherwise be unlikely to tune into the Grey Cup game between Toronto and Calgary.

But the divide between Bieber's young, predominantly female fanbase and the CFL faithful is as broad as a lineman's shoulders.

"Not a real big fan of Justin Bieber, sorry," said 52-year-old Johanna Ellis of Kitchener, Ont., as she navigated the Rogers Centre before the game.

"It's not a very good choice in a stadium full of football fans."

Indeed, recent Grey Cup halftime performers have skewed toward the comparatively heavy likes of Bachman & Turner, Nickelback, Theory of a Deadman and Lenny Kravitz, a drastic contrast to Bieber's fizzy pop confections.

"J-Biebs doesn't scream football, you know? Neither does Carly Rae Jepsen," agreed Calgary's Ryan Prisque, 22.

"Gordon Lightfoot — that'll be the time I turn back from the beer gardens and watch."

The 74-year-old Lightfoot certainly did captivate the crowd Sunday. With the stadium lights down, Lightfoot opened the halftime show by materializing on a modest stage near the 50-yard line, dressed in black and strumming an acoustic guitar. The crowd roared.

His long grey hair swept back, the stalwart songwriter — originally from Orillia, Ont. — put in a gentle performance of his iconic 1967 hit "Canadian Railroad Trilogy" that lacked the theatrics of Bieber's performance but nonetheless enthralled the audience, who gamely clapped along. When he was finished, they roared again.

Attention then shifted to set of three stages lined up along one side of the stadium, with a cluster of amped-up fans rushing in and clustering around.

Vancouver pop outfit Marianas Trench was greeted mostly with indifference after their performance, while 27-year-old Jepsen also received a mixed reaction at first but won the crowd over during an enthusiastic medley of her latest single, "This Kiss," and her dangerously infectious smash hit "Call Me Maybe."

But the crowd was seemingly immune to Bieber's charms — and some seemed to have been waiting for the opportunity to show their displeasure with the young star.

He had certainly been visible during Grey Cup week.

Bieber was spotted at a trendy local club on Friday night after being photographed earlier in the evening playing hoops with Toronto rap star Drake and Raptors forward Amir Johnson.

Earlier in the week, he was presented with a Diamond Jubilee Medal by Prime Minister Stephen Harper and courted controversy with his casual wardrobe choice: striped blue overalls (unbuttoned on one shoulder) over a white T-shirt, accessorized with a backwards black baseball cap and glittering jewelry jangling around his neck and wrist.

There was sufficient uproar over his outfit that Harper even weighed in on Twitter.

"In fairness to (Bieber)," Harper tweeted Sunday, "I told him I would be wearing my overalls too."

Well, the fashion feedback seemed tame compared to the scathing response from the Toronto crowd.

Of course, Bieber — who will return to both the Rogers Centre and his usual bevy of deliriously adoring fans next Saturday — did have faithful supporters sprinkled among the fans crammed into the cavernous building.

"I missed Justin Bieber in Winnipeg ... so this is good for me," said Brittnay Dueck, attending the game with her mom.

"I'm surprised that they chose someone who's a little bit younger. Being 26, I'm OK with it. But I think everyone else who's here might not like it."
Bugs! - http://thunderhouse4-yuri.blogspot.com/
Yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:25 AM   #24
charlene

I was out seeing George Canyon with Pee Wee so I'm just watching now..Gord did terrific..53,000 football fans just got schooled in LIVE music.

Saw this on twitter: New rule: If Gordon Lightfoot sings live, EVERYONE has to sing live.
lol
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	proxy[4].jpg
Views:	504
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	5619   Click image for larger version

Name:	proxy[2] (2).jpg
Views:	527
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	5620   Click image for larger version

Name:	web-half-time(5)[1].jpg
Views:	512
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	5621   Click image for larger version

Name:	web-half-time(6)[1].jpg
Views:	488
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	5622   Click image for larger version

Name:	web-half-time(4)[1].jpg
Views:	504
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	5623  

Old 11-26-2012, 06:00 AM   #25
Dave, Melbourne,Australia

That went over well!

I believe it was the first 4 stanzas and the final stanza:

But time has no beginnings and hist'ry has no bounds
As to this verdant country they came from all around
They sailed upon her waterways and they walked the forests tall
And they built the mines the mills and the factories for the good of us all

And when the young man's fancy was turnin' to the spring
The railroad men grew restless for to hear the hammers ring
Their minds were overflowing with the visions of their day
And many a fortune lost and won and many a debt to pay

For they looked in the future and what did they see
They saw an iron road runnin' from sea to the sea
Bringin' the goods to a young growin' land
All up through the seaports and into their hands

And many are the dead men too silent to be real.

So, not quite the fast-slow-fast trilogy, but an excellent condensed version for the half-time showpiece at a huge national sporting event. Those young musical acts would have been in awe at the no-frills-needed performance and audience response to a 74-year-old who has captivated Canada and other countries for 5 decades.
Dave, Melbourne,Australia is offline   Reply With Quote