banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-09-2010, 06:49 PM   #1
Wes Steele

Default Have To Say Something...

I hope you all take this in the right way...

I have been around awhile here, though I don't post to much, I REALLY enjoy reading all of your posts... Your posts are a TREAT to me....

I have to say there is NOT enough credit given to Char for putting up will all of us. She has been a breath of fresh air for me, and I am sure many of you.

Was a number of years ago that my youngest son Joey, had open heart surgery, and all of you were SO supportive with your prayers, thoughts, and kind words. it meant (and means) so much to me.... I wish you could have all been there the recent times when Joey was able to meet and converse with GL... and Gord was so kind to him... There is NO bigger fan of GL than Joey... (Joey is doing GREAT... 100% normal... growing...I am sure he will be taller than me and I am about six feet....)... This site was so consoling to me when Joey was going thru that surgery... This site meant a lot to me.... and so does Char...

There is NO better Gordon Lightfoot site than this one, and Char is the main reason this site is SO special.

I know Charlene has devoted much time into this site, but I have never heard her once complain.

The only regret that I have, is that it was impossbile for me to meet up with her when GL was in Buffalo a few months ago... Buffalo is only about 5 hours drive time from here... I hope someday I can meet her and give her a big hug....

You know.... I like this site... It is a place for friends to gather... I think about all of the people who visit here and contribute with their posts and pictures... I love them all... but I would bet there are MANY people who visit here that are not members who want to know more about GL, and I am sure they enjoy this site greatly. They enjoy and appreciate the posts and the pictures.

This site is a very special place.... for friends to gather...to learn about GL...to appreciate him.

As many of you know, I have posted a number of pictures here from my recent concert visits... When I am taking those pictures, I am thinking of many of you... I know how much you will appreciate those pics... I know most of you have seen GL in concert, but it is always good to see those pics of this talent....

Gordon Lightfoot is a gift to all of us....

I have been blessed to see him in concert many times (40?), but the biggest treat for me was when I looked him in the eye, a few years ago, and told him how much he has meant to me in my life... How much my life is better because of him.... He really is modest... I wonder if he understands...

And I can honestly say, my life is much better because of this website....

and....

because of Char..

I wonder if Char understands...

Char, I don't say it enough...

Thank you my Dear Charlene... My little Canadien friend...

I do hope we meet someday... and you meet Joey also...

I have a request to you Char... Save a Hug for me....

May God Bless You

Last edited by Wes Steele; 12-09-2010 at 08:24 PM.
Wes Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:39 PM   #2
Doug

Send a message via AIM to Doug
Default Re: Have To Say Something...

Hear, hear!
Old 12-09-2010, 08:44 PM   #3
Yuri

Well Said Wes. We're a wide and varied lot here with one thing in common.
...and Char is indeed wonderful!!!
Bugs! - http://thunderhouse4-yuri.blogspot.com/
Yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:36 PM   #4
redhead

Char:

While I have thanked you privately for the kindness and generosity you have displayed here at Corfid, I haven't posted anything to publicly express that sentiment.

So here's my public shout out to you. Thank you so much for everything you do to bring us GL fans together. In addition to being nice, you have integrity and when you give someone your word on something, they can be confident that you will keep it.

While it's true that you are a great moderator, what's also true is that you are a smart, insightful gal with one wicked sense of humor. It's mainly because of you that I am so very glad I stumbled upon this website.

Fondly, redhead
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:58 PM   #5
Jenney

Very well said Wes. While I often think these things, and comment to Char privately, it is a good time to sing Char's praises in public.
Thank you for all you do Char.
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:03 AM   #6
banjobench12

I don't post often. More of a lurker. I could not agree more with all that has been said here about Char. In a word, Char, thanks.
banjobench12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:01 AM   #7
buzzard

Hey Wes,

I don't think you have to worry about ANYBODY taking what you had to say the wrong way.

Great story about your son. Wonderful that he is doing so well.

You're right this is a special place. And Char does an incredible job looking after this site. It's a labour of love, but it does take an enormous amount of time. You are among the hundreds of us who appreciate her efforts.

I hope you get to meet her and give her a hug. Until you do, there are lots of us to give her the message that we do appreciate all that she does.

Brian
buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:47 AM   #8
brink-

I have looked at Char as the "hostess" of Corfid. I know she didn't start this site, Florian did, but he entrusted it her very capable hands. So, to me, I feel coming on this forum is like going to a party and Char is our hostess. You treat the hostess with respect she deserves, it is her house.
Thanks Wes, for saying something nice about Char instead of bashing her. She deserves another raise.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:21 AM   #9
2silent2breal

I have not been here long, but the tone of this board is friendly and it is interesting and informative to read the posts here. That tone is set by the moderator and she is doing a wonderful job. Thanks, Charlene, for making me feel welcome and keeping things going in such a positive way.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:02 PM   #10
Sundown17

Thanks Wes, for starting this new thread. Long overdue IMNSHO. Glad to hear Joey is doing so well.

People leave corfid for many reasons, but I am confident on betting the farm that none of the reasons, where it counts, is Char. I rarely read or post anymore but that has nothing to do with her or the way the forum is run. Char does an outstanding job at making everyone feel welcome and lets all ideas flow until they get unnecessarily nasty or inappropriate...and that is part of the duties as Madam Moderator, as thankless as it is. Personally I think she shows far more tolerance and forgiveness than I would. Must be the Canadian thing. lol...nah, it's the Char thing.

Most who find us enjoy corfid for what it is. A place to gather to discuss our love for GL and his music and to share our personal experiences just for the joy of sharing. Without Florian's inspiraton and Char's loving hand, this would not be possible. A Magnificent Outpouring of gratitude to you both.
Sundown17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:49 PM   #11
Moose

It's definitely a Char thing. I'm sure I'm not the only Canadian who would have screamed and quit on the first morning that started with hundreds of spam messages and I'd never be able to get along with so many diverse personalities. (Maybe dealing with toddlers helps develop the patience for the latter.)

So I'd like to add my appreciation for a job very well done!
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:40 PM   #12
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

When I was lying in the hospital unconscious for a month, Char sent me two pieces of stained glass she'd made: an angel, and a star. I still keep them hanging on my living room picture window. They meant a lot to me then, and still more now.

Thanks for thinking of me, Char.

Cathy
Old 12-10-2010, 04:25 PM   #13
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin'
spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Steele View Post
I hope you all take this in the right way...

I have to say there is NOT enough credit given to Char for putting up will all of us. She has been a breath of fresh air for me, and I am sure many of you.
Very true. Way back when I use to spam the board up with snide, childish threads, she was kind enough to let me back on after I matured a bit. Thank you, Char.
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:35 PM   #14
sunshine

Hey, Brink, I really like your example of Charlene being our hostess and deserving our respect. I notice she always treats newcomers and veterans alike with courtesy and/or fun and/or information. She is the last person who should be on the receiving end of any attitude or tone from the membership, especially when her goodness and generosity are so readily apparent. Thanks for being our fearless leader, Charlene; hope we all have many years together celebrating our shared experiences.
sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:54 PM   #15
joveski

thanks Char... you're doing a great job, putting up with all us ratbags

cant believe i've been here for 10 years!
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:11 AM   #16
youngstranger

Agreed. This forum has an unusually homely atmosphere.
youngstranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:25 PM   #17
New 12 String Mike

Yes indeed!

Thanks Char.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:01 PM   #18
charlene

I appreciate the kind words from all of you that are posted here and the many private messages I’ve received. Thank you. I’ve taken a few days to wait until I post a reply.
I have never said or done anything that would be disrespectful on this site. I always imagine if Gordon Lightfoot himself were to read the posts here that he would be pleased and find his fans to be respectful and thoughtful of each other. Sadly, sometimes the personal agendas of some people take over when their misguided, imagined self importance rules over common sense and respect.
Gordon Lightfoot has always exhibited nothing but graciousness and kindness to me and to all the people I know who have had the thrill of meeting him themselves. He has never looked dismayed or bothered when signing autographs or having pictures taken. He is always nothing but charming and friendly. I am not in the know how he really feels or says about those things outside of those “fan moments” however. I only state what I see, have heard and experienced myself. We are not…..um…..friends.
Pictures, hugs, concert stubs, backstage passes, autographs are all little treasures we hold dear with no thought to thoughtlessly toss them away. They represent, to each of us a memorable moment with a special person in our lives. No different than those treasured little art pieces our children made us that still hang on the tree every year, those pictures of our loved pets, or family and friends, some who may be gone from our lives. They are our history and many of them have in some way shaped our lives.
Perhaps silly and dustbin worthy to others but not to us and we don't take kindly those who will so hurtfully and spitefully demean us because they feel otherwise. If that's contrary to how they feel about those things that's just fine but don't come to a forum where fans who feel otherwise come to feel comfortable and welcome with their shared and loving memories and treasures. It’s disrespectful, plain and simple.
I have never in 10 years ever posted a word of my love and admiration (not hero worship) for Gordon Lightfoot or any of the special things he has done for me to brag or make myself feel above anyone. If anyone has ever felt otherwise I can’t help that...I know my intentions are true and honourable.
My heroes are people who give of themselves with selflessness and honour in good and bad times, in dangerous circumstances and times of quiet reflection and words, people fighting for their lives against disease, tyranny, terrorism and hate. NOT a guy with a guitar who sings about them.
I love to share because I know from decades of experience of not ever being near Lightfoot up close and ‘personal’ so to speak, that not all of his fans can experience the things I have or attend some of the fabulous events I can because of where I live. I am lucky to live here and be able to get to the one-off events that Lightfoot might be attending or performing at. I wish all of you could attend too! When I am at these events I think of so many of you and wish you were there with me.
I want everyone to feel like I do so try my best to convey the amazement and thrill I feel. I also want to convey how lovely, kind, humble and generous Gordon Lightfoot is...to give a look into the man he shows himself to be..at least to me and other fans he interacts with as I observe from a distance. I take hours to write up reports, post pics/videos/website links to do this because so many have expressed how much they enjoy them. (doing this also helps ‘cement’ them in my own memory..it’s an age thing I think) I am not a writer by any means but I think my enthusiasm comes though and folks get a real sense of what I was feeling and therefore can feel it themselves.
I don't and have never tried to assume or imply that I know who Gordon Lightfoot is in any other capacity than that of a revered legendary musician admired by a longtime fan. I am not now and never will be an ......um.......old friend. And I don’t lead anyone to believe otherwise. If I were I certainly would not post any calculated little hints either.
I try to make this site as inclusive as I can, to have everyone feel a part of this little group connected though the WWW - So I (and others) inquire about other members’ concert experiences, if they have pictures, stories, memories to share with the rest of us. Many members ask each other for reviews, pictures, shared memories and no insult has ever been taken and no one has ever felt it mandatory. That’s the most absurd thing I’ve heard but it really isn’t the true issue in the trouble that reared its head this past week.
I do home daycare for a living (omigoodness that’s laffable) so am quite used to dealing with the needs of little children who have yet to learn to share, be kind, polite, generous, and empathetic while their very beings scream “me,me,me,me,me,me!” It is expected with them…not so much with “mature” adults though. So this moderator job is quite trying at times. Patience, Canadian or otherwise (or otherworldly!) is required. If it was as easy as hitting “delete” like I can do with SPAM life would be easier. Hundreds of SPAM that need deleting is time consuming but does not suck the very soul out of this place leaving us all bone weary.
Many of us have seen Lightfoot in concert a bazillion times, some just a few, some have never seen him. The same for actually meeting him. But we all love to hear how others feel about the concerts/meetings be they recent or long ago. That's why this forum exists! What the hell would we be here for or talk about if not Gordon Lightfoot ??? - the name at the top of this DISCUSSION page says GORDON LIGHTFOOT in big red letters!!
I remember a few years ago when Wes met Gordon and he had his boys and lovely wife with him I believe. I was in Florida on vacation. He e-mailed me and asked me to call him because he felt so strongly about what he had to tell me about his meeting with Gordon it could only be conveyed with his actual voice on the phone. I'm sure if he lived closer he'd have driven over! We spoke for a long, long time that afternoon. I listened to him speak so eloquently and lovingly about Lightfoot and it was so apparent how much it meant for him to meet Gordon and have his family there with him. Especially young Joey. It meant a lot that he would want to share, so passionately, his feelings with me. And I got a very good tan that afternoon to boot! That’s just one moment that I have had the privilege of having with so many terrific people I know through this forum.
A great many of us here have been through a lot of life’s events, gloriously happy and heartbreakingly tragic, in the past 10 years and I am more than humbled that I have been a part of theirs. Equally important is that they have been there for me during those times of my life as well. Thank you does not even begin to convey my feelings about that.
This is what this place is...a place for sharing positive emotion and passion, not crassness and innuendo and spewing of assumptions and distasteful rhetoric meant to hurt and demean and ridicule. Under no guise is this okay. It just isn't. It's shameful, immature and uncalled for. Period.
I try to stay neutral while being attacked for things I do not say, nor imply. A difference of opinion is always okay – disrespecting the person, even when it is wrapped in what is essentially rhetorical fluff is not.
The people who have contacted me, like you who have posted here, have expressed their disappointment that a few malcontents now and then can take their own agenda and create such chaos and upset on a forum for a most gentle man we all adore.
A couple of months ago during another bit of unwarranted chaos I heard privately from numerous people with encouragement and positive thoughts regarding the ugliness – I appreciate all of that support too.
I didn’t ask or expect to be the moderator here at CORFID, it was through a suggestion from a member (who no longer posts due to the degradation of this site with disrespectful people and their posts) to Florian that I was given the honour of being moderator. Not knowing what the hell the job entailed other than it was non-cash paying, I said ‘Hell yes!’ and here we are 10 years later…LOL
The trade-off of not getting paid in cash is the relationships that have been started, cultivated and cherished. The SHARED love of Gordon Lightfoot and his music has brought so much to my life that I am daily reminded of it. The discovery of so many new artists who perform at the Tribute shows has been a true blessing. The opportunities for so many “Lightfoot” related relationships and events that have come to me are treasured as much as the actual ones that involve Lightfoot himself.
I never ask nor expect anything from Gordon Lightfoot either, other than for him to stand onstage and “do the best with what he’s got.” And we BOTH know it.
I thank all of you again and of course dear Florian for maintaining this Wonderful, Wild and Winsome website for us.
(and you thought WWW meant world wide web! HA!)
CHar
I'll Tag Along - Gordon Lightfoot
You've got time enough for two of us
What is mine I will share
We've got things that we can do without
Most anytime anywhere
Every little daydream that appears in all we do
Gives us some problems of our own
If you turn back to that page again
And you can't win
If you ask me I'll tag along.

Aldous Huxley-1894-1963 - English writer
"Thanks to words, we have been able to rise above the brutes; and thanks to words, we have often sunk to the level of the demons."

(just read that in the paper today....how fortuitous!)
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:08 PM   #19
Lisa J

Send a message via AIM to Lisa J

well written, char. you not only helped us newcomers to understand more about what this site is, but you responded with class to the issues that arose this week. Sometimes it seems that typed messages without physical human interaction can be taken wrong and things get out of hand. I truly hope that all this was just a misunderstanding, for as you said, Gordon seems to be such a gentle man and gentleness on this site is appropriate. Being new, I usually don't feel it is my "place" to comment for I feel i would be intruding on old friendships, but it seems you all have become friends through this site. thank you for clarifying and for being the moderator.
Lisa J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:31 PM   #20
charlene

Don't feel 'new' Lisa! ... that's the great thing about having the love of Lightfoot in common - we're all old friends already even when we 'meet' for the first time..

I know what you mean about the typed word etc.. And I'm sure there have been those instances for all of us somewhere on the internet at some time.

But unfortunately I must say that there was no misunderstanding this past week.

Have a great weekend!
Old 12-11-2010, 08:48 PM   #21
Moosedog

Very well said, Char!
Moosedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:17 PM   #22
Lisa J

Send a message via AIM to Lisa J

Have a great weekend![/quote]

thank you. I plan on competing in a half marathon tomorrow, so I am not sure how "Great" my weekend will be. I am a swimmer, not a land animal, but a friend talked me into this... Yikes. some friend, right?! I will try to have fun! we will see how the old knees feel by noon tomorrow...
have a great weekend too!
lisa
Lisa J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:24 PM   #23
charlene

Good luck with the 1/2 marathon..very impressive! Yeah - with friends like that...lol
The weekend is pretty good so far.
The Leafs (as of this moment) are beating arch rival Montreal Canadiens!
woo-hoo!
Hope Gordon is watching..."ya gotta love The Leafs!".
Old 12-11-2010, 10:06 PM   #24
Borderstone

Wes,I loved your message so I brought up
a topic that you posted in Small Talk " 11 years ago " this week.

I'm sure you'll recognize it.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:42 PM   #25
Jenney

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
I am not a writer by any means but I think my enthusiasm comes though and folks get a real sense of what I was feeling and therefore can feel it themselves.
I have to disagree with you on one point Char, you are a writer. You write from the heart and with words we can all relate to.
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote