banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 06-18-2010, 08:58 AM   #26
Wes Steele

Default Re: the Lightfoot Childhood Homestead - PHOTOS

GREAT pictures.... I love 'em.

Thank you for posting them. Feel a little closer to him now....

JesseJoe, when did you take your picture, June? (just kidding)...

Thank you again,
Old 06-18-2010, 09:47 AM   #27
brink-

Thanks JJ, great pictures. I love porches, I have always wanted a house with a porch. I bought a house years ago that had a fabulous deck, but it just isn't the same.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:49 AM   #28
brink-

Let's see next Massey is in May. Let's all take JJ's suggestion and do some yard work.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:20 PM   #29
jj

i hear TS3 is a goodie, hope they enjoyed the show!

and no, i would never stop at Wonderland on a weekend, cos HJ would be in 'wander'land! lol

glad you dig the pics, Wes...i think these pics and other GL homes over the years would be a good homepage section here...yes, jjo, i work 5 minutes from the old Rosedale mansion...check out my posts regarding it in the Beaumont thread...i dont' go there since the altered the front porch...it's one thing to renovate, it's another thing to 'change' the entire character of the place

Quote:
Originally Posted by brink- View Post
Thanks JJ, great pictures. I love porches, I have always wanted a house with a porch. I bought a house years ago that had a fabulous deck, but it just isn't the same.
hey brink, i hear ya...we converted a deck to a screened in porch (not the same character as a full breathing porch but a practical move)

you would like the old van Dyke homestead then, lol...i think they need to buy a shed for all that porch junk

i was gonna load the GL pics to this Waymark childhood homestead site but didnt' know what other info to fill in...any thoughts char? back to my original question, are there any other sites or folks here who know of famous childhood homesteads...all i could find was the Montgomery and Banting one, Canadian-wise
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dvd.jpg
Views:	724
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	3413  
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:29 PM   #30
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
i thought it might be practical to convert the house into a GL museum and move it down near the Leacock museum which is more tourist accessible
there we go, Guelph has the right idea!

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...26tbs%3Disch:1

ps) i was thinking that perhaps as a teenager, Gord may have spent time fiddling with guitar and smoking up in that 3rd floor loft...i mean, fiddling with guitar and smoking, up in that 3rd floor loft....lol
Old 05-25-2013, 08:47 AM   #31
jj

I went by the Lightfoot childhood home and took this pic showing they had just taking down the porch

i sat and wondered what wonderful old bits of guitar playing and singing (Gord and Jessie?) took place out front or on the second tier, way back in the 50's

maybe the Hoola Hoop song was written out there... or Gord had his teen barbershoppers practicing harmonies over a lemonade, or a few wobbly pops

his Rosedale home also underwent front porch renos a few years back

compare this photo to the ones I took and uploaded in the first post in this thread

at least somebody mowed the lawn
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Harvey St photo.JPG
Views:	785
Size:	392.3 KB
ID:	5978  
Old 05-25-2013, 10:10 AM   #32
charlene

here's a side by side/summer/winter/porch-no porch..:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	House%20In%20Orillia[1].jpg
Views:	694
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	5979   Click image for larger version

Name:	Harvey%20St%20photo[1].JPG
Views:	707
Size:	392.3 KB
ID:	5980   Click image for larger version

Name:	gl1[1].jpg
Views:	691
Size:	483.8 KB
ID:	5981  
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:33 PM   #33
jj

maybe that yellow cardboard sign in the front window is there in place of a Historic Plaque? lol

I think they need a sign on the inside of the old balcony screen door that says "Watch your Step!"

Old 05-25-2013, 02:57 PM   #34
charlene

that house needs a covered porch, perhaps enlarge the lower front window depending what room that is.....and some nice landscaping...
Old 02-22-2014, 04:53 AM   #35
dray7austin

I love these. Thank you for sharin JJ. I've always wondered about what his homes growing up had looked like. These are all beautiful pics. I would have kept the porch and upper deck. But maybe the owners don't realize or care about the significance of it. I would have loved to have got myself a scrap of wood when it was removed and taken to the dump. Just to have a little piece would be awesome. At least we have the photos. Thanks again JJ.
dray7austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 02:17 PM   #36
jj

oh your welcome... that is so ironic...there was a dumpster there recently and i guess if i had a bit of nerve i could have grabbed many splinters of wood or planks or shingles that probably sat beneath Gord's upper bedroom window, where he smoked (i'm speculating) and played guitar as a teen... there seems to be so little fascination on that street about the history of the place, that it never even entered my mind...pulling over now and then for a shot and a GL song listen, always feel a bit intrusive actually...last time i pulled up there was a new wee Hyundai in the driveway... seemed out of character, lol

char could likely find the thread about the current owner getting approval for renovations even though there was some resistance from local die hards... there is really not very many artifacts in the local museum but talk of the piano that he first took lessons on, being donated there... how about that first guitar?

some friends and family folk got stuff at the auction they had in the 90s after his mom passed...that was a fairly good time to make hay...i can get you a corner piece of sod i suppose, as perhaps Gord went out and peed in the vicinity as a beer drinking teen, lol j/k
Old 02-22-2014, 03:43 PM   #37
dray7austin

I'm just so thankful for the photos jj . I am just so glad that I found this page and you all. I feel like I found freedom. I post a lot of Gordon photo and videos on Facebook, but I don't feel that they are appreciated as they should be. I feel as though I have finally arrived home and found my long lost family. I really enjoy the photos and stories. Thanks again my friends.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:52 PM   #38
jj

dray7, your most welcome, but what is your FB name? ie) what FB photos or videos?
Old 02-23-2014, 02:22 AM   #39
jj

dray7austin, here is an article about the home

http://www.orilliapacket.com/2008/11...g-upsets-owner

Heritage tag upsets owner 0
COURTNEY WHALEN, THE PACKET AND TIMES
Saturday, November 29, 2008 7:00:00 EST AM

When Paul Hill purchased his home on Harvey Street 10 years ago, he had no idea it was the childhood home of one of Orillia's favourite citizens.

"Two weeks after I bought it, someone phoned me and said this is the Lightfoot Home," said Hill.

Now, after a decade of renovating what, he said, was in desperate need of repair at the time of purchase, he's upset the home is one of 22 on a list of properties of heritage interest -- without his knowledge.

He found out about the list because a headline in The Packet & Times about the 22 properties caught his eye.

On Monday night, Orillia city council will be asked to ratify the list that would mark the properties of "interest" on the municipal register of cultural heritage properties. The move will mean that property owners would have to give 60 days' notice of any intention to demolish or remove a structure from the property. It is also the first step toward looking at full heritage designation.

"I don't need some bureaucracy telling me what I can do with my house after I've owned it for 10 years," he said. "I bought the house from Gord and his mom... where was the city then?"

He doesn't mind the people who take an interest in the house, who stop and take pictures, steal blades of grass and even occasionally look in the windows, but he doesn't want the restriction an eventual heritage designation would bring.

"There is a long-term worry about that," he said. "I don't want to be forced to maintain mediocrity for their purpose, unless they're going to pay for the maintenance of that mediocrity."

He said as his home ages, it needs more maintenance and renovation. One example, he said, is the home's front porch, which he plans to replace because its condition is deteriorating.

As a Mariposa Folk Festival volunteer, Hill said he recognizes the importance of Lightfoot both to Orillians and Canadians as a whole, but resents that he wasn't even consulted about the process.

"This is something I'd be more than happy to talk to people about, but no one has talked to me," he said. "We have 22 sites here and how many are aware of what's going on?"

At the Nov. 24 meeting, Mayor Ron Stevens asked if owners had been consulted. He was told the notification to owners would occur after council officially approved adding the list.

Friday afternoon, Stevens said he didn't have a problem with that as long as the properties were only being identified for consideration. Before full designation of a heritage building, owners must be part of the dialogue, he said.

"Not everyone who has a heritage home is going to want to have it declared (as) such," he said, noting that a number of restrictions can then apply to the property.

Qennefer Browne, who found out the Elizabeth Wynn Wood home she owns is also included in the list of properties of interest after an article appeared in The Packet & Times, said its inclusion isn't a concern for her. Browne is the late sculptor's daughter.

"I think it's a compliment to the history of the house," she said.

She said she looks on the heritage committee and its work "with affection" and has been on the other side of the heritage debate.

"I know how agonizing it is for community groups to see the heritage demolished," she said.

However, with more stringent restrictions attached to a full heritage designation, she said discussion would need to take place, noting she's never initiated the designation process herself, although she's been approached about it before.

Coun. Don Evans, who is council's representative on the municipal heritage committee, is in full support of adding the "properties of interest" to the municipal registry.

"I think it's certainly time to get down to cases and move forward on many of these addresses to acknowledge their attributes," he said.

He said heritage properties recognized provincially (as they are when fully designated) can be a tourist draw.

While he admits there may be some individuals who dislike the idea of having their property designated as heritage, he believes they would be in the minority.

The issue will be in front of council for approval Monday night.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:38 AM   #40
dray7austin

Thank you jj . I sure do appreciate the link. The stuff I post of Gordon on Facebook is usually just YouTube videos and the few photos I've taken over the years. You can look me up on there by my name of David Ray. But there really are so many David Rays on there. Tomorrow I'll email you the link to my page. Also tomorrow I am going to try and post on this site some Gordon photos from 2007 when Barry Harvey stopped Gordon and Rick's car for us. And I'll tell a little story behind it of just how kind Barry was to us. As you already know him to have been a kind man.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:52 AM   #41
dray7austin

Wow! Great article jj. You know, it's hard for me to choose a side when I don't know what Canada's Heritage designation would mean to a home. Like the homeowner asked, "Will the city help with repairs or upkeep cost?" Or something to that effect. I noticed that the article is from 2008, would you know if the home was or is now consider a Heritage Home? With the latest photos showing the removal of the front porch, I wonder if a new one will be built? I sure hope so. But I would also hate to see the current owner being burden with the cost if the porch was removed because of age and rotting. I myself really do want to see history preserved but I also don't want the owner to face a financial strain seeing he bought the home when it wasn't designated as a Heritage Home. Thanks again JJ.

Last edited by dray7austin; 02-23-2014 at 06:21 AM.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:50 AM   #42
JohninCt.

Location: Wallingford, Ct. Not far from what used to be Oakdale Music Theater

Quote:
Originally Posted by dray7austin View Post
Wow! Great article jj. You know, it's hard for me to choose a side when I don't know what Canada's Heritage designation would mean to a home. Like the homeowner asked, "Will the city help with repairs or upkeep cost?" Or something to that effect. I noticed that the article is from 2008, would you know if the home was or is now consider a Heritage Home? With the latest photos showing the removal of the front porch, I wonder if a new one will be built? I sure hope so. But I would also hate to see the current owner being burden with the cost if the porch was removed because of age and rotting. I myself really do want to see history preserved but I also don't want the owner to face a financial strain seeing he bought the home when it wasn't designated as a Heritage Home. Thanks again JJ.
Just in case anyone didn't notice, the current owner did say in the article that he was going to replace the porch, but he never did say if it would be in the same style. I would imagine if it is a Heritage Home now, that it would have to be the same style. Also, I just can't believe that no one grabbed a piece of the porch flooring that Gordon must have walked on all those years ago. How cool it would be to have him autograph a piece of floor board.

Last edited by JohninCt.; 02-24-2014 at 08:52 AM.
JohninCt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:02 PM   #43
charlene

http://www.mtc.gov.on.ca/en/publicat...it_DHP_Eng.pdf

Here in Whitby where I live there are many Heritage designated homes with more being considered including the whole downtown area.. I know that once designated a homeowner is very limited in what can happen inside and outside of the home and must follow rigid guidelines as to the changes they might want to make. This includes repair/replacement of any parts of the home like wood trim, brick, additions must be approved and be in the style of the home etc. It can be a very expensive proposition to own a heritage home.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:10 PM   #44
jj

was it declared because Gord lived there or otherwise?

what about the wonderful Beaumont Rd home? there are many renos there ...no historical designation I suppose? we have a thread about his Rosedale home era in Toronto somewhere... what history

the closed in porch (I liked that) is now all open and the turrets all renovated

I see that there is a No Dog Poop sign erected by his old driveway... I wonder if there were issues back in Gord's day also... I assume that pylon marks the spot where the most recent violation occurred?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5BeaumontRd.jpg
Views:	752
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	6725   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gord home.jpg
Views:	753
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	6726  
Old 03-11-2018, 04:41 PM   #45
charlene

James Jones photo-Feb.2018 -
Old 03-12-2018, 12:41 PM   #46
Melissa

That's really cool. Neat looking house.
But it looks really cold up there!!!!!!!

Melissa
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 11:01 PM   #47
charlene

The LIGHTFOOT family home in Orillia is for sale! The front balcony off the second floor was removed by the owner who bought it 10 or so years ago and not replaed. Some reno work has been done but the kitchen looks original..Click on arrows at link to see photos. Orillia is 90 minutes north of Toronto where Lake Couchiching meets Lake Simcoe.. https://www.point2homes.com/CA/Home-.../95625718.html
Old 09-13-2020, 06:16 AM   #48
JohninCt.

Location: Wallingford, Ct. Not far from what used to be Oakdale Music Theater

Looks bad with the porches removed. I guess he is wanting out instead of keeping with building codes for historical status in case it goes that way..
JohninCt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 12:18 AM   #49
imported_Ordinary_Man

I'm very surprised he was able to remove the porch for such a long period of time. Not only does it look bad but the upper door opens to nothing. Seems like a code violation at the very least.
imported_Ordinary_Man is offline   Reply With Quote