banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 06-24-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
niffer

Default Appleton WI setlist June 23, 2013

I wasn't sure when Seafarer would be getting back to Minneapolis, so I hope I am not stepping on any toes by posting the Appleton setlist.

Sweet Guinevere
Cotton Jenny
Sea of Tranquility
All the Lovely Ladies
Never Too Close
Wild Strawberries - at the polka dot underwear line, the crowd roared as Carter nodded...Gord looked over at him and laughed.

Let it Ride
Spanish Moss - an abbreviated version, not sure if that was by design.
Shadows
Beautiful
The Watchman's Gone
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald
Carefree Highway

Intermission

Drink Yer Glasses Empty - just Gord and Mike. Then, as the others were coming onstage, Gord exited. He was gone for about a minute, then reappeared.

Now and Then. jj, Mike used a pedal steel sound and keys, I didn't hear any strings. Afterward, Gordon said he was still trying to dry his hands Then he said, "You should see me at rehearsal!"

Ribbon of Darkness
Sundown

Band intro

Restless
I'd Rather Press On - this one came out of "cold storage."
Painter Passing Through
Waiting For You
If You Could Read My Mind - standing O, and the band took a bow.
Baby Step Back - the crowd loved Carter's solo, and Gordon nodded his approval.

Canadian Railroad Trilogy

Encore - Rainy Day People

The crowd was appreciative, but unlike shows I have attended in Milwaukee, the Appleton crowd didn't seem very familiar with the lesser-known songs, and reacted strongly only to the standards...Carefree Highway, Sundown, IYCRMM, and the Wreck.

I thought Gord's voice was pretty strong overall, and the band, as always, was exquisite. Not a lot of banter, maybe because this was the eighth show in nine days.

I attended with my friend Kris, who is an excellent singer and performs locally at a number of venues. She was amazed at Gord's stamina, and the fact that he works without a TelePrompTer.

After the show Gordon was gracious and upbeat, looking forward to getting home to his cat.

Another wonderful Lightfoot evening
niffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:31 PM   #2
charlene

Default Re: Appleton WI setlist June 23, 2013

I like RDP as an Encore....
I LOVE when the band gets the nod from the boss and the audience for a standing "O"
I'm glad they're home now.
lol
thanks for the prompt report and setlist JP ! Like Kris, I am also amazed that a teleprompter is not needed...
The venue looked awesome in the pic Rick posted..stunning slanted glass ceiling.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:01 PM   #3
niffer

It is a very nice venue, a little bigger than Massey, I think, but with very good sight lines and acoustics.

One thing I forgot to mention is how special it is to me, not just because I live here, but because in late 2007 I had written a column about Gordon, and in March 2008 when he first played at the PAC, he mentioned from the stage how much he had appreciated it.

Last night I got to tell him what a surreal and awesome moment that was for me, and to thank him. Which was a surreal and awesome moment too
Old 06-24-2013, 05:35 PM   #4
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by niffer View Post
Now and Then. jj, Mike used a pedal steel sound and keys, I didn't hear any strings.
you're a fine woman... thank you, niff
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:17 PM   #5
txdaiseyblue

Send a message via MSN to txdaiseyblue

When I saw him last year, he was on his last night of the tour and said the same thing to me...was looking forward to getting home to his cat. I wish someone would post a picture of his famous cat.. LOL
txdaiseyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:54 PM   #6
charlene

MOJO the cat - http://www.680news.com/2009/11/19/68...ghtfoots-home/
Old 06-24-2013, 07:37 PM   #7
seafarer62

Hello Niffer and Others:

Nice job on the set list - matched mine exactly.

The brief instrumental between verses of "Now and Then" was performed beautifully. Very elegant. And yes, I think it was Michael's riff.

You were right about the strange event after "Drink Yer Glasses Empty." The song was done very emotionally, with some nifty, subtle lyric changes. But then Gord walked off stage left, as Rick, Carter, and Barry walked on stage. He was gone maybe a minute. Not enough to use the privy or anything. My wife Debbie guessed it might have been to clear his throat or take a spray or something of that order.

The guys started to fiddle with their instruments when he walked in, a little out of breath. He must have walked up some stairs, because he said, "I'm bet you're glad I wasn't taking an elevator." He grabbed a swig of water, and then looked sheeplishly when he said his hand was wet and needed to dry it on his left pants leg. Must have been some moisture on his water bottle. (It was warm and humid in there.) What a guy thing to do!

Spanish Moss segued into Shadows, without applause. Similar to Ribbon of Darkness and Sundown.

He appreciated the audience coming out on a Sunday night and said that it was the 8th of 8 concerts in nine nights on this tour. He said it has been fun to deal with all the work permits and tax filings, working both sides of the border.

I thought he was struggling with the vocals a little, because parts of Restless seemed to be spoken, rather than sung. He was clearly struggling through "Painter". There were a couple of garbled lines, as he quickly reset himself. When he was done, he took another drink of water and said that there were some "close calls" with that one. Then he quipped, "I have never sung three consonants at the same time!"

How he remembers all the lyrics, with few errors, is a challenge for all of us aging boomers!

Before Trilogy, he apologized for weak vocals that would come towards the end of the song, but said that it would come back before the end. He actually did pretty well through those higher notes, with some rearrangement. (He does this with "Beautiful" as well. )

For an encore, the crowd received a quick "Rainy Day People", and then the Canadian minstrel was gone. I'm sure he was pooped after the rigorous tour and wanted to get home.

The people we talked to on the way out were very appreciative and said they enjoyed it.

Our usher said that the concert halls seats about 2,000. We were in the second level, Row One. Great seats, overlooking the stage, with no obstructions. There were empty seats in our area, more on the mezzanine levels above us. My best guess had the place about 2/3 to 3/4th full.

Only negative for the show was some oaf behind us who insisted on singing along with some drunken slurring. Good gracious, why pay $55 or more and do this? Not to mention to ruin the experience for other people? The poor guy's wife was even trying to shut him up. Debbie thanked me for not having to put up with a husband like that.
seafarer62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:11 PM   #8
Rob1956

I just wish Gord would stop pushing so hard. By now he knows that he'll be pooped at the 8th gig in 9 days, so why do that to himself and those paying for tickets? I hope in 2014 he works out a more realistic tour schedule that accommodates his age and current physical limitations. It is somewhat a case of denial, but it seems he's starting to realize he has to modify his schedule by saying to the crowd that some rough vocals are coming up.
Rob1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:51 PM   #9
niffer

Great observations, Seafarer, and I am very relieved that our setlists match

My sense was that the brief exit after Drink Yer Glasses Empty was a very quick bathroom break, although it was odd that it happened so soon after the intermission. He did an especially good job on that song, I felt.

Sorry I didn't get to see you and your wife. And there were no inebriated vocalists near us, either.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:09 PM   #10
Dave, Melbourne,Australia

Gord last performed in Appleton on 30Mar2008, the only Lightfoot concert I've managed to attend.

I found it interesting comparing the 2013 song list ...

* Sweet Guinevere
Cotton Jenny
Sea of Tranquility
* All the Lovely Ladies
Never Too Close
* Wild Strawberries
* Let it Ride
* Spanish Moss
Shadows
Beautiful
The Watchman's Gone
The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald
Carefree Highway

* Drink Yer Glasses Empty
* Now and Then
Ribbon of Darkness
Sundown
Restless
* I'd Rather Press On
A Painter Passing Through
Waiting For You
If You Could Read My Mind
Baby Step Back
* Canadian Railroad Trilogy
Rainy Day People.
(* = Not played at 2008 concert)

... with the 2008 song list:

Cotton Jenny
Carefree Highway
Sea of Tranquility
# 14 Karat Gold
# Never Too Close
# In My Fashion
# If Children Had Wings
A Painter Passing Through
Rainy Day People
Shadows
Beautiful
The Watchman's Gone
Ribbon of Darkness
Sundown
The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald

# Triangle
# Hangdog Hotel Room
Restless
# Clouds of Loneliness
Waiting for You
# Make Way for the Lady
If You Could Read My Mind
# My Little Love
Baby Step Back
Early Morning Rain
Blackberry Wine.
(# = Not played at 2013 concert)

I would have preferred to hear this year's Appleton songs, especially Canadian Railroad Trilogy, Spanish Moss and Let It Ride (the last one from my favourite Lightfoot album "East Of Midnight"). I understand Gord's voice is much better now than it was in 2008. Another obvious difference was that Carter Lancaster has replaced the late Terry Clements on guitar.

Last edited by Dave, Melbourne,Australia; 06-25-2013 at 10:37 PM.
Dave, Melbourne,Australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:45 PM   #11
niffer

Interesting to compare the two lists...thanks, Dave. It would have been fun to see you at this show too!

And jj...you are very welcome
Old 06-25-2013, 09:22 PM   #12
seafarer62

Dave: We missed you in Appleton, five years later!

One Gord quip from the concert: Someone yelled out, "Old Dan's Record's". Then someone else, "Affair on 8th Avenue". Gord chuckled and said, "I remember that- boy my life could have been different!"

Seems to make this song even more mysterious. I don't even know if you can buy the the newer version of this song. The only place I now have it is on 8-Track, but that does me a heck of lot of good in 2013 !!
seafarer62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:00 PM   #13
charlene

Lightfoot says: "Affair On Eighth Avenue was inspired by a young German waitress who worked at the Playboy Club in New York City".

yep - things could have been quite different for our boy..
Old 06-25-2013, 10:50 PM   #14
niffer

When the woman first shouted out "Affair on 8th Avenue!" the first thing Gord said was, "Oh my God!"
Old 08-26-2013, 06:59 PM   #15
charlene

RICK pic:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Appleton,WI-FoxCitiesPerf.ArtsCentre.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	6228   Click image for larger version

Name:	Appleton,WI-FoxCitiesPerf.ArtsCentre2.jpg