banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-23-2009, 10:57 AM   #1
jj

Default Gord on piano live - Fine as Fine Can Be

AUDIO only : http://ia311210.us.archive.org/0/ite...ocks.wma?cnt=0

it's about 2/3rds through the recording - @ 49:30 - RED ROCKS - Colorado - July 12, 1975

you can hear Partners as well as Stone Cold Sober in the same segment of the performance, decent recording

note: earlier Gord asks the audience NOT to clap during the Auctioneer...he says 'leave the driving to us'
Recording info:

Red Rocks Ampitheatre
Morrison, Colorado
July 12, 1975

One of the rare concerts without Barry Keane on drums.

Set1
High&Dry
Carefree Highway
Bend in the Water
All The Lovely Ladies
Christian Island
The Watchman's Gone
Sundown
Now&Then
Don Quixote
Old Dan's Records
Rainy Day People
The Auctioneer

Set2
If You Could Read My Mind
Partners
Fine as Fine Can Be
Stone Cold Sober
Early Morning Rain
Mother of A Miner's Child
The Last Time I Saw Her
Sit Down Young Stranger
Canadian Railroad Trilogy
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:17 AM   #2
charlene

Default Re: Gord on piano live - Fine as Fine Can Be

wow - 1975... strong voice...
so many tunes he doesn't do anymore.
wish we had video of this, especially Fine as Fine Can Be.

I remember him telling the Massey crowd to 'leave the driving to us' ...

funny that after Christian Island he was asking for more sound to the audience..things have changed...

When he's speaking he reminds me of Norm MacDonald..lolol
same sort of inflection/syntax and tone..

so many corny jokes.
some things never change.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 03:24 PM   #3
Unsettled 1

That was a great Sunday morning listen. Thanks for posting this. Do you think that Gord (or anyone) has live concert video that they simply haven't released? I know they taped a performance at the Del Mar Fairgrounds, maybe 1986 or 87, but it has never been seen to my knowledge. We can only hope that someday it will magically appear.

Brian
Unsettled 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:21 PM   #4
buzzard

This is a classic. Amazing what turning the clock back a mere 34 years can do! Stone Cold Sober was a “new one”. I agree, it’s been a long, long time since Lightfoot told his sound man to turn it up, or since he told the audience to “leave the driving to us”. I admire the humble elder statesman of today who graciously accepts all the accolades. But I also miss the cavalier hotshot who knew he could say or do whatever he wanted, even though that guy could be insufferable at times.
To see him sit down at the piano again would really be something.
Like many of the folks here, I’m grateful to have seen more Lightfoot concerts than most folks would consider normal. In 1975, I was in grade eleven and still a couple of years away from seeing him for the first time.
Char is right about the corny jokes. It would have been a much shorter and much leaner career if he’d opted for standup comedy!

Brian
buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:18 AM   #5
Germany76

Thank you so much for that one; takes me right back to the 75/76 Offenbach/Frankfurt concerts I attended. And to hear my all-time favorite `Now and then`sung live!!!!
That was quite a treat. I ended up on the floor,crying, which ,I suppose, is largely due to the fact that I´m busy packing things my son will need to take along to France, where he´s starting his Master Studies. I will drive him down to Lyon (about 1500kms, or some more,I haven´t checked yet). Question to you guys whose children have already left home: how long did it take for you to stop hypnotizing your phone or checking your mail account every other minute? Do you ever get used to not having them within reach ( for me, that was 400 kms for the last 4 years). I´m wondering.
Thanks again . Vera
Germany76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:16 PM   #6
JohnStinson

Where did you find that. WOW.

What was that gold miner ditty he sang. ...I liked it.

..and Red Shea with Terry ...really nice.

Where was this performed??

Simply great!

tx for posting
john
JohnStinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:14 PM   #7
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnStinson View Post

What was that gold miner ditty he sang. ...I liked it.

Where was this performed??

john

"Partners" is the gold miner tune, taught to Gord by Red

"Two partners went in search of gold as friendly as could be One was young and one was old and the gay young fool was me Since neither one could write his name, I swore upon my soul To share the wealth and then shook hands, the hands that dug for gold - Partners

Twas was in the spring we packed our gear, a-northward we did go We crossed the mountain passes where the swirling rivers flow All summer long we panned the gold, no nuggets did we find But faith was great and hope was strong, we'd get the gold in time - Partners

Oh the summer days were gone at last and the winter nights grew cold The snow had trapped us in the pass when we finally found the gold We took our fortune to the shack to wait the winter through But the food ran low so I killed my friend, what else was there to do - Partners

Oh the cabin's covered now with snow, the shelves of food are bare Satan's waiting for me now but I'm too cold to care Is that the devil at my door looking for my soul Or is it just the old man looking for his gold"

Recording info:

Red Rocks Ampitheatre
Morrison, Colorado
July 12, 1975

One of the rare concerts without Barry Keane on drums.

Set1
High&Dry
Carefree Highway
Bend in the Water
All The Lovely Ladies
Christian Island
The Watchman's Gone
Sundown
Now&Then
Don Quixote
Old Dan's Records
Rainy Day People
The Auctioneer

Set2
If You Could Read My Mind
Partners
Fine as Fine Can Be
Stone Cold Sober
Early Morning Rain
Mother of A Miner's Child
The Last Time I Saw Her
Sit Down Young Stranger
Canadian Railroad Trilogy
Old 08-24-2009, 07:23 PM   #8
The Rez

jj - Thank You . . . Priceless and Precious.

*Fine as Fine Can Be* - a song never out of my personal 'play list'
. . . and I mean, wherever anyone would would gather and a piano
happened to be in the room.

Seeing as how I brought my own to work, that was about every night.

And, the Del Mar Fair show - a last minute addition after a previous
night of wonder at the open-air Universal Amphitheater - I'd not known
that was recorded.

I was there w/ my three then-young sons. We all four agreed Gord's
suspenders were *cool* One of the finest nights of Remembers, for me,
because of my sons reactions.

My oldest boy, then a Ratt & Headbanger-lover said: Ya' know, Dad,
it's sorta nice just to sit and listen to a guy sing his songs.

Coming from a boy who babysat Jake E. Lee's kids [then Ozzie O's guitarman]
that was High Cotton indeed.

After-show, when blessed Barry welcomed us backstage, Gord was so kind
to my boys. The foto resides [and hides] in a box somewhere in the garage.
I must find it now . . . must!

Thanks for the Remembers,

Rez

PS:

Red Rocks [just outside Denver] is, for me, where The Music never
breathes better. I love those jutting red out-croppings - often no
mic's needed.

Being born in Denver, the place is Touchstone in my heart.
[Psalm 139:13]

Last edited by The Rez; 08-24-2009 at 07:33 PM.
The Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:06 PM   #9
charlene

what a place!
http://www.redrocksonline.com/
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:23 PM   #10
brink-

I recently saw John Prine and Levon Helm at Red Rocks, had a great seat. Levon had some real problems, I assume the altitude. He ended up passing the singing to others. Prine and his band were great. His guitar player is certainly one to see....fabulous. All in all it was a great show and Red Rocks, as always, was beautiful.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:18 AM   #11
TC

WOW! That was great to hear. That voice! Those songs! And that piano playing. 1975 I was 16...where did the time go? And why so fast?

That was certainly worth the 3 hours of dial-up download time. Thanks very much!

TC
TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:14 AM   #12
3pennies

Great concert.

I noticed that he said he wrote "Fine as fine can be" for his then 8 year old daughter Ingrid.

When I saw him in Morristown, NJ last month he said he wrote it for the mother of his grandchildren, his daughter Ingrid.

Now, I consider myself above average computer literate but I can't seem to be able to save the concert and burn it. Any ideas?
3pennies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:49 PM   #13
podunklander

Quote:
Originally Posted by brink- View Post
I recently saw John Prine and Levon Helm at Red Rocks, had a great seat. Levon had some real problems, I assume the altitude. He ended up passing the singing to others. Prine and his band were great. His guitar player is certainly one to see....fabulous. All in all it was a great show and Red Rocks, as always, was beautiful.
I would love to go to a concert at Red Rocks!! Lucky u!! And renovations were completed last year - I do believe.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:01 PM   #14
Tim

I can't add any more than what everyone else has said. What a fantastic recording!!

One of my son's favorites from back when he was 2 years of age was "Bend in the Water." This collection from Red Rocks is the first live recording of that song that I've ever heard.

What an interesting impromptu adjustment that occurred in the middle of "All the Lovely Ladies."

It must have been a wonderful treat to see Red Shea and Terry Clements perform together -- all I can say is "WOW"

Finally, if I am not mistaken, within a week or two of this Red Rocks concert, Gordon went into the studio and recorded the United Artist tracks to "Gords Gold." His voice on this Red Rocks recording does sound very much like it did on the "Gord's Gold" album.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:53 PM   #15
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3pennies View Post
Now, I consider myself above average computer literate but I can't seem to be able to save the concert and burn it. Any ideas?
It's an established fact that I'm far below average when it comes to computer literacy, so I asked my son if it was possible. He was able to save it to my computer by using this site: http://www.hidownload.com/, and selecting the 30 day free trial option. I guess you just then follow the instructions.

Burning to CD is a different story. Apparently, the recording is around a minute too long to fit on a CD. Perhaps your CD burner software has an option to shorten the streaming audio. I happen to have some recording software that was able to shorten the final applause, thereby making it fit on a CD.

So......it's an idea.......and I now have it on CD. Don't ask me how to do it.

Last edited by RM; 08-25-2009 at 09:58 PM.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:50 AM   #16
Don Quixote

That was certainly a great find, and listening sure took me back to when the man was at his peak.
A few things struck me:
1) As usual, he blew a few of the lyrics. I think he concentrates so hard on the music, that sometimes the lyrics get left behind.
2) It was nice to hear a different version of "Stone Cold Sober"; the mix was so much better in balance than on the Songbook. I really think this could have been an excellent single.
3) On "Sit Down Young Stranger" he sings "There's rockets in the meadows and ships beneath the sea"; it's the first time I've heard that version, and I kind of like it--it speaks not only to the condition of war, but to the consequences and destruction as well.
4) I'm sure many of you caught it (being of a certain age), but nobody's mentioned it: when he starts noodling at the piano before "Fine As Fine Can Be", and then says in a funny voice "Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen", he's doing a (somewhat less than spot-on, but not awful) imitation of Liberace. For those too young to remember, Liberace was a pianist with a set of teeth that matched the candelabra he always had placed on the piano. He sported a wardrobe that can only be described as flaming, and despite his sexual orientation during a much more repressed era, was a popular performer. He was good friends with, among others, Johnny Carson. Think of a cross between Elton John, Phyllis Diller and Fred Astaire. Liberace was also the punchline of a joke that one of my friends told me (stop here if you are offended by sophomoric humor):

Two friends are talking about baseball history:
"Betcha don't know who hit the most homers in the '50s and '60s."
"Mickey Mantle?"
"Nope, Hank Aaron. And I bet you don't know who drove in the most runs in the '50s and '60s".
"Willie Mays?"
"Nope, Hank Aaron. And I bet you don't know who had the most outfield assists in the '50s and '60s."
"Frank Robinson?"
"Nope, Hank Aaron. And I bet you don't know who got hit on the chin with the most balls in the '50s and '60s".
"Must be Hank Aaron".
"Nope--Liberace".

Apologies,
DQ
Don Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:38 PM   #17
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3pennies View Post
OK thrupence
It was nice to see that Ron had a stab at attempting to reply to the plea by the relatively computer challenged three pennyworth (Dan I do believe)
Whilst I doubt if Ron will be reading this as he publicly announced that he had set his corfid preferences to ignore my contributions here. So be it that is his prerogerative and we all have our crosses to bear. But other than indirectly advising Dan to get a computer savvy offspring Ron failed to address Dan's underlying question, viz "how to save the concert and burn it"
At the risk of creating what the younger Jones erk terms another of my valuable tutorials I will reply rather more fulsomely.
Here goes
As I personally consider this "Recording Of Independant Origin"
to be one of the best available, mainly for the inclusion of the a rare live rendition of the superb "Now And Then"
I am composing a rather lengthy reply to you .
Anybody who is bored by my ramblings please go and read another thread and stop complaining!!!

First downloading had 3d/3p read and studied two earlier postings of mine to the "2001" thread at:-
http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=19850
the first tutorially one on 19 August plus an embarressed correction on the 20th he should have noticed a prominent screenshot showing search results at sugarmegs.org
refresher:-

displayed therein there are columns "view setlist" "listen" and blow me down wiv a fever "download"?
the latter is obviously there for a reason. but if you merely click away at it you then get the same result as the "listen" link. Nar to actually download you need to scratch yer bonts a little then try the dodge of right clicking the link!! Lo and behold you will get an err umm right click menu which wonder of wonders includes an invitation to "Save Target As"

Do so and you will download a not too large (23.5MB only) all in one wma file named
GordonLightfoot1975-07-12RedRocks.wma

hovering your mouse over the file name after downloading it should reveals the salient details

Note two vital facts revealed there
1 the recording runs 80 minutes plus 52 seconds which unfortunately just exceeds the capacity (80 minutes of audio) of a standard CD-R
to use it therefore to burn a non stop concert will therefore require a modicum of pruning
2 it was encoded to wma using the very low sampling Bit Rate of only 40 kbps.
Most file sharing mp3s are at least 128KBPS and a full CD audio file is 1411KBPS
(note that the resulting file's size is directly proportional to the sampling rate
Note that "all in one"
usually concert downloads comprise a set of individual track mps3s or in the upper echelons of file sharing lossless FLAC files
(Free Lossless Audio Codec) format losslessly compressed files most often found in concert torrents
I did in fact acquire such a set of 21 FLACs,and the blurb that came with it said:-
"This is an audience recording. Part way through the set Lightfoot complained there wasn't enough volume so the soundman bumped up the gain. One of the rare concerts
without Barry Keane on drums.
2 set concert put onto one CD. Includes a decent copy of Partners and Stone Cold Sober which was introduced by GL as a brand new song.
Cherokee Bend which was on the source CD was deleted as it was only a partial track of 1 min."
I had prevously found that the set of FLACs when loaded into burrrn to

burn an Audio CD totalled only 76:42

I have now fully played the wma and whilst Cherokee Bend is also omitted
The diference between CD's 76:42 and the wma's 80:53 is I think mostly accounted for by sonme extra audience noise (In particular the lengthy applause after the final song CRT) or Gord's ramblings that were not included in the separated tracks in the torrent set, one notable omission as pointed out by Senor Don the Quixotic is the delightful short (just about one minute) of Gord's piano playing after which he royally takes the urine out of Liberace
Another thing I picked up,that I had previously missed, was his aside during CRT "Richard we don't have any sound" undoubtedly an admonition to Richard Harrison
I have now find a simple way of isolating that Liberace impersonation to add to my mp3 set as there is room for it on a CD
I had converted the original a wma to an mp3 using the freeware program
[url=http://www.nch.com.au/switch/]Switch Audio Converter Software[/url}
and after several false starts I located another freeware program, the very small mp3 trim
with which I was able to separate out the Liberace piece which ran from 49"30 to 50:30 as a single small mp3 to add to the 21 that I had made from the original FLACs
this I did by playing it from the beginning then clicking the "mark start " button at 49:30 and then the err umm "mark end " button at 50:30, then clicking the
"direct save " button as indicated by the cursor arrow in this brilliant screenshot.

All I then had to do was repeat the exercise setting the start at about 0:00 and the end at slightly less than the 1:20 limit

the saving seemed to take place in real time err umm over an hour
then a burning program such as burrrn will have no quibble about the total running time:-
Makes as Ron found a great all in one continuous concert CD
I have tried (unsuccessfully so far) to create a continuous concert cd from separate track files but save for joining all the audio files into one conglomorate file I have yet to find how to burn an audio multitrack disc with minimal or zero gaps between tracks. Anybody have any idea??
(yes I now do myself because as I reported in a later posting
see:-

http://http://www.corfid.com/vbb/sho...count=2http:// in a different thread I have found that using the freeware burning program Expess Burn allows you to burn a continuous concert CD by selecting the "Session At Once" option with zero gaps between the tracks

Anyway 3d I was sorry that this year we were unable to make it to the Morristown concert (the venue is almost up the road from our house) but we had a prior engagement overseas
I am preparing a private message to you, Dan, to give you an easy method of burning a Red Rocks 1975 single CD with each track individually playable as an option
using high quality 192 kbps mp3s

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

Last edited by johnfowles; 06-01-2010 at 08:43 PM.
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:14 PM   #18
TC

That's some great information....what does it mean?
TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:19 PM   #19
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Quixote View Post
Apologies,
None needed here........that's a great joke, and I'm gonna use it.

Ah, Liberace........all I could think of was Paul Lynde, but that didn't make any sense.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:20 AM   #20
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC View Post
That's some great information....what does it mean?

Thanks for your response TC.In reply I have to say that I was somewhat taken back by your comment which I have to say I initially found rather insulting.
I have received a variety of responses to my postings in the past: from indifference or no response;to being blacklisted;to expressions of boredom or complaint that I had said too much;to horror/disapproval "delete that or else"; declarations of headaches from the Modem Maderator, but your response has to be the strangest and most inexplicable yet!

To recap Dan a.k.a. 3pennies (UK thruppence) asked two serious questions that wrongly or rightly I felt had yet to be answered and I figured that as yes I had "some great information",I hoped it would help Dan and others.
Those pair of queries were that having listened to the Red Rocks Concert Dan wanted to know how to execute two tasks:-
1. Download the file and then
2. Burn an audio CD from it
I therefore recounted my own experiences in the faint hope that they would be fully understandable so that everybody would be able if they so wished to carry out those two tasks themselves. if they so desired.
To that end I thought I fully described and moreover illustrated how to download the wma file that Ron has already stated was slightly too long for a standard blank 80 minute CD-R. I then, I thought, explained how to convert it to a more familiar mp3 format then extract a sample section, demonstrating the technique with which anybody should then have been able to extract every one of the individual 21 main tracks.I had proceeded to explain how I had been able to cut a bit off to enable it to fit on a CD-R and demonstrated that I had burnt a continuous CD from the "cropped" full mp3 file and as a final flourish I displayed a suggested piece of artwork that a punter could (if he/she so desired) use to decorate a plain CD jewel case.
There that is what I intended my posting to "mean."
I trust that I have now made my intentions clear and satisfied your curiosity.
Any more questions anyone??

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

Last edited by johnfowles; 08-27-2009 at 09:54 AM.
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 05:46 PM   #21
Gitchigumee

I don't know what you mean half the time either John, but I still love you.
"There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run. When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun. Long before the white man, and long before the wheel. When the green dark forest was too silent to be real."
Gitchigumee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 12:42 AM   #22
The Rez

Sir Johnny - you make me Smile Big.

I'd never been able to post those fotos of Jimmy Rodgers Inner-Scullcap
. . . Framed . . . withoutcha. Thus far, that's my Paramount Fame-Claim
in the 21st Century.

Therefore, I shall attempt *The Dreaded Download* per your tutorial.
When 'successful,' I'll report back - likely mid-2010 . . . or not . . .
seeing as how 'All Machines' are smarter'n me! [Better grammar, too]

Also, thanks to Kindess Incarnate, I'll be in Toronto all four - count 'em
four nights for Gord's Massey Hall adventurings. Will you be 'adventuring'
that direction as well?

It would be Big Joy to share another 'Time of Gord' w/ you

OK - here I go! Wish me Tutorial Splendor . . . !

Rez
[Psalm 139:13]
The Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:30 AM   #23
Dave, Melbourne,Australia

That song "Partners" is amazingly similar (in melody and subject matter) to the traditional Australian folk song "With My Swag All On My Shoulder", which appeared on The Seekers' album "Introducing The Seekers" in the 1960s and on their 25th anniversary reunion concert album in 1993.

When first we left old England's shores, such yarns as we were told
As how folks in Australia could pick up lumps of gold
So when we got to Melbourne Town, we were ready soon to slip
And get even with the captain, we scuttled from the ship

We steered our course for Portland Town, then north-west of Ballarat
Where some of us got mighty thin and some got sleek and fat
Some tried their luck at Bendigo and some at Fiery Creek
I made a fortune in a day and spent it in a week

So round the tucker tracks I tramp, nor leave them out of sight
My swag's on my left shoulder and then upon my right
And then I take it on my back and oft upon it lie
These are the best of tucker tracks, so I'll stay here till I die.

(The chorus after each verse is)
With my swag all on my shoulder, black billy in my hand
I travelled the bush of Australia like a true-born native man.

Last edited by Dave, Melbourne,Australia; 08-28-2009 at 11:33 AM.
Dave, Melbourne,Australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:18 PM   #24
formerlylavender

I'm listening to Now and Then from this concert. It's one of my favorites, and I love being able to hear a live version of it. Hearing another version of Stone Cold Sober made my day. Thanks so much for posting this link! I agree, Tim, that Gord's voice sounds just like it did on Gord's Gold. His best period vocally, IMO.
formerlylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:41 PM   #25
jj

wonderful to read all the comments here, a pleasure to share

that arrangement of Stone Cold Sober has the Poor Little Allison feel/chord progression...i do love the studio guitar effect

...i wonder what type of keyboard that is or is it a real piano, sounds a bit unwarm but could just be the amp or recording