banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 10-21-2007, 06:47 PM   #1
Borderstone

Default Was Gordon your very first choice as "All Time Fave" ?

It's no secret that growing up we all go through "changes" in musical taste,just like our taste in anything else. I think i may have stated in the past but Gordon was not my first overall favorite,in fact I barely knew his stuff.

In order these were my #1 music artists until 2001:

70s:
Tie: Osmonds/Bee Gees/Abba

80s:
Tie:Men At Work/Bryan Adams & U2

90's Mariah! No one else measures up for me from that decade.

2000 + ----> Gordon (male) Mariah (female).

But as we know,I have a ton of musical tastes anyway.

What were your (if any) overall choices before becoming "Lightheaded"?
Old 10-21-2007, 06:56 PM   #2
brink-

Default Re: Was Gordon your very first choice as "All Time Fave" ?

At the same time that I liked Gord I also liked Gary Puckett and the Union Gap, and CCR. But Gord's was the first album I bought and the first one to wear out.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 06:57 PM   #3
charlene

Kristofferson, Jimmy Buffett, Chapin, Denver, Taylor..etc..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 07:28 PM   #4
Kerstin

Thinking back I think it was Elvis, then Eddie Cochran, Buddy Holly, Bill Monroe and now Gordon.
Kerstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 07:32 PM   #5
Yuri

Ah, to who did you lose your musical virginity to? - so to speak...
My first recollections of music having a personal impact came when as I child I heard Buddy Holly's music on my transistor radio (that's an iPod for baby boomers). Then of course came the day that I watched the Beatles land in the U.S. followed by their performance on the Ed Sullivan show. It wasn't until the later '60s and the emergence of 'psychedelia' that I heard a song that literally changed my life as it turned me onto music and had it become an essential part of my life. Now don't laugh, but that song was 'In A Gadda-Da-Vida' by Iron Butterfly. They still blow me away! (Groovy! & Peace Man!]. Early rock from Led Zeppelin, Moody Blues, Deep Purple, Yes, Uriah Heep, Jethro Tull amongst many others. One of my all time favorite rock bands was 'Mountain' of 'Mississippi Queen' fame.

My love for Lightfoot's magic started around that time but was always in the background as I ran in "rock circles". As my love for the great outdoors, camping and later, wilderness canoeing developed, Gord just fit in better 'The Who's 'Won't Get Fooled Again'. As you people all know, Lightfoot is a "calling" once you have "seen the light". Hallelujah!

Classic Rock still pleases my ears, but it is Lightfoot that touches my soul.

Yuri
Bugs! - http://thunderhouse4-yuri.blogspot.com/
Yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 07:43 PM   #6
podunklander

Gadz...I have to honestly say that Lightfoot has been up there, among my favorites since 1st I was familiar with his music (late 60's, early 70's). Since then (and some before and of course, during) include:

Orbison, Judy Collins, Joni, Neil Young, CSN, Luka Bloom, Nilsson, Billie Holliday, Sarah Vaugh, Sinatra, Zepplin, Traffic, Rachmaninoff, Chapin (Harry & Tom), Heart, Diamond, Flack, Seals & Crofts, Louis Armstrong, Beatles, Indigo Girls, Andy Gibb, Redbone, Corea, Davis, Frampton, Croce, Gladys Knight, Denver, Starship & Airplane, Bad Company, Peter, Paul & Mary, Cole Porter, Mikel Laboa, Simon & Garfunkel, Muddy Waters, Rundgren, Guthries (Woody, Arlo AND Sarah...and her husband sounds like Neil Young!), Boxcar Willie, Stevie Wonder.

My favorite female vocalist (besides my mom) is my long-time friend Carol [Rutannen] Sansoucy...performs locally with Cashel Rock and Hickory Wind. Her brother Dave Rutannen is still the best acoustic jazz guitarist I've ever heard and...their brother-in-law, Richard Jarvis (performs in Massachusetts and Connecticut) is one of my favorite male singers (imagine a cross between Mathis and Lightfoot). Oh and I can't forget "Heather"...another great local, singer.

Pre-Lightfooted, I would have to say -whatever was on the radio, whatever the family listened to, songs that had verses such as "hickory-dickory dock" , and songs I had to play on the fife when I was 9 (McNamara's Band, Tarantella, etc).

That pretty much sums it up!!!

Pam
Old 10-21-2007, 07:55 PM   #7
podunklander

Oh, and Mott the Hoople
Old 10-21-2007, 10:51 PM   #8
louisemnnpls

Send a message via Yahoo to louisemnnpls

Lightfoot, Chapin, Denver, Kristopherson,John Hartford, Steve Goodman,Joan Baez, Buffy St. Marie, Delbert McClinton, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings................... (But first and aways Lightfoot).
Old 10-22-2007, 07:28 AM   #9
SilverHeels

Gord has always been No 1, followed by so many mentioned above. In fact, too many to list ...
Old 10-22-2007, 08:33 AM   #10
Germany76

Yuri, it so seems youīre my kind of person- all groups you listed are favorites - plus Procol Harum, Vanilla Fudge, Cream and Eric Burdon; in my early teenage years I listened to a lot of country music as well- Bobby Bear, Chet Atkins, Hoyd Axton . Then it was the folk scene -Pete Seeger, P;P;&M ,then Dylan, then GL. Today , coming home from work, itīs either him, or CCR, or Tony Joe White- depending on the mood Iīm in. Vera
Germany76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 09:16 AM   #11
Moosedog

Gordon has been my #1 for as far back as I can remember. Other favorites over the years include James Taylor, Eagles, Dan Fogelberg, Jackson Browne.

Vickie
Moosedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 09:30 AM   #12
Germany76

FYI, Iīve just read an article in the `Globeandmail `titled `HOw your brain calls the tune`.Itīs about -Quote- `how music can enslave-and save- us. Very interesting for all you music-addicts out there. You find it in todayīs internet paper -frontpage under `SCIENCE`or go directly to http.//www.theglobeandmail.com/server/story/RTGAM.
20071020.wsacks1020/BNStory/Entertainment/home
Itīs worth reading. Vera
Old 10-22-2007, 09:38 AM   #13
Germany76

Oops,sorry, small typing error- It should read īservlet`instead of īserver`. V.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:46 AM   #14
Jesse Joe

I've said it before in the past, but will say it again, Glen Campbell {Galveston}, and around 1969 heard on radio, "Black Day In July." Bought the LP, "Did She Mention My Name", which had { B D I J } on it. After listening to the entire LP, I must have said something like 'WOW'

What was incredible to me at that time being around 14 yrs of age, was that I started buying every Lightfoot record that was available, and I would always read on the back, below the song titles, : "All songs written and composed by: Gordon Lightfoot." So the guy was a great singer and a Poet. Plus he was Canadian like me. I got hooked.

He's been my #1 ever since but do like a lot of the same as some mentioned above including, ABBA...{SOS} was a great song. I was even in their fan club... Agnetha Faltskog Ulvaeus, the blonde in ABBA..

Today John Mellencamp is my #2. Also a singer songwiter

Great topic Borderstone...

Last edited by Jesse Joe; 10-23-2007 at 08:34 AM.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 09:58 AM   #15
Yuri

Vera (Germany76),
Yup, I think we connect there as the musicians/groups you listed are also in my favorites. Rock music was just what turned me on to the wonders of music. Although I began to enjoy Lightfoot in the late '60s, I regret that I wasn't yet "consumed" by his magic (nor of age) to see him at 'The Riverboat' and other Yorkville coffee houses.

Since being infected by the music "bug" and coming down with severe "rock fever", I've gone on to discover folk artists such as Jim Croce, James Taylor, John Denver, and Canadians such as Stan Rogers, James Keelaghan and Aengus Finnan - to name just a few.

I also love Classical music and Jazz but I must admit that Rap and Hip-Hop still makes me cringe and double over in pain.

Yuri
Bugs! - http://thunderhouse4-yuri.blogspot.com/
Yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:55 AM   #16
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germany76 View Post
Oops,sorry, small typing error- It should read īservlet`instead of īserver`. V.
I'll be back with the story of the 9 years (1957-1966 before I discovered Gord when the incomparable Buddy Holly was my certain "All Time Fave"
But meanwhile and to try to help here, dare I suggest that correcting one "small typing error" was not enough because you also have a "full stop" (.) instead of the necessary colon in front of the two forward slashes,anyway I have to ask why you put yourself into the position of requiring to incorrectly "manually" copy the Globe and Mail's article's address in the first place. I am asuming that you visited the site, in which case the correctly typed address would have been showing in your browser's adress bar, as I will show below.Had you then simply moved your mouse pointer into the address bar area then just touched the right mouse button while the pointer was anywhere within the box the correct address would get highlit automatically it is then an extremely simple operation to copy it as it is i.e. 100% accurate to your Window's*** clipboard
from where it may be readily pasted again 100% correctly to wherever you wish.
*** I am not familiar by intent with what happens on a MAC but since the Windows GUI was basically cribbed from the Apple tree
I have to assume that the same principle applies to MACs any comments you MAC zealots out there??
Also anybody using Firefox instead of Internet Exploder
Whatever here is an illustrative screenshot from my PC/ IE setup to show the URL nicely highlighted

the next step having got it highlit is to
  1. copy it to the clipboard
  2. paste it into your desired position
This operation is now a piece of cake

either
  • Use your mouse or
  • Use your keyboard and its shortcuts
  1. Mouse
  2. touch the right mouse button and select "copy"
  3. go to where you wish to paste it in
  4. touch the right button again and select "paste"
Use your keyboard shortcuts
  1. press Ctrl and C simultaneously
  2. go to where you wish to paste it in
  3. press Ctrl and V simultaneously to paste it
Sorry if this has bored the majority here but having had to teach a friend recently some very basic file handling procedures I realise that not everybody has an inate grasp of some of the basic computer/internet manipulation methods such as this

OK the full corrected URL is actually:-
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/serve...rtainment/home
NOTE that the forum is switched on enough to know that a pukka URL MUST start with http://
if it is it will appear automatically as a clickable hyperlink., as above
wheras Vera's original incorrect version did not, solely because she had mistyped a "period" instead of a colon.(nothing to do with your guts)
"period" is a sop to any North American's who cannot fathom what a "full stop" is
HTjis feature is yet another good reason to always preview a proposed posting as errors like this will show up and the latest vbb system is so much better as you can now see how your proposed submission will look together with under it your actual current text ready to be edited/corrected as necesary if the preview above it is not fully kosher
a further tip
In addition to Ctrl +C and +V as shown above try to learn Ctrl +A which will automatically highlight everything on a web page or text editor, then Ctrl +X will cut the highlit text and put it on the clipboard. I am now myself using these four shortcuts in preference to using the mouse keys, and as soon as I tame a new mouse which has 3 programmable buttons they will be allocated to 3 of the above mentioned 4 shortcuts thus further saving valuable time!!

Also Ctrl plus "home" or "end" "page up" or "page down" are useful if you use the "other" Ctrl keyboard button on the right under the large "enter" button
Again I cannot vouchsafe what happens on a MAC which I know has a very slightly different keyboard layout.Any comments Doug or Peter Bro10???
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 01:19 PM   #17
podunklander

Today John Mellencamp is my #2. Also a singer songwiter

Great topic Borderstone... [/QUOTE]

Uh-huh ditto Borderstone.

And uh-huh! Glad you mentioned Mellencamp Jesse Joe! I can better relate to his music than Lightfoot's, on a personal level. I was born in a small town AND lived in a pink house!

I look to Lightfoot's lyrics for experiences and stories, etc., I haven't, can't possibly and so probably never will, personally. His lyrics transcend anything in my life for sure. I can only describe this using a term oft used by the man himself, "ethereal". Even the romantic/love songs. I mean - my guy friend is special to me because he once sucked a splinter from my thumb. I was just a customer at his store lol! And we've been friends ever since. He does things like wipes the guk from the corners of my mouth with his fingers , even when he's not wanting to kiss me lol. Kind of hard to put that into words and music!
Old 10-23-2007, 02:16 PM   #18
Rainbow Trout

All mentioned and the group "Bread" one of my favs.
Rainbow Trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 03:04 PM   #19
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderstone View Post
But as we know,I have a ton of musical tastes anyway.
Apparently, I didn't get the newsletter. This is news to me.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:50 PM   #20
Borderstone

You name the genre and i like it to one degfree or another. Not much for the more modern noise though.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:09 PM   #21
Kathy in Michigan

B,
Sheesh! this is making me think too hard...Early on it was the Beatles of course, Peter, Paul and Mary, and other folk music like Buffy Ste Marie (was she the first 'rebel'?), loved James Taylor, Linda Ronstadt. Oh and Crosby, Stills and Nash, and don't forget Santana.

However, Gordon Lightfoot and John Denver are easily my all time favorites, hands down! They both can stop me in my tracks, slow me down and usually make me smile (or cry in a good way). Love it, love it!
Kathy in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 06:35 AM   #22
Germany76

To John, thank you for setting things right- itīs not as if I didnīt know - itīs just that sometimes I tend to forget. I promise Iīll be good in times to come and consult my `How to... `folder first ( or else your private tutorial - what do you charge, by the way ?) As for the colons and periods- thatīs what happens when I do some typing without looking for my glasses first. Thanks a lot . Vera
P.S. By the way, have you been reading the article yet? V.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:53 AM   #23
timetraveler

My first all time fave? Hard to say, there were so many. People such as Elton John, and groups like ELO, Moody Blues, and too many other groups to count.
timetraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:15 PM   #24
podunklander

I can't believe I forgot to mention a wonderful folkie, Melanie! She's among my 1st favorites (and pre-Lightfoot, or close I'm sure). Several years ago, she performed at the Podunk Bluegrass Festival in East Hartford, CT...I was living in E. Hartford at the time, but couldn't get the night off from work

I love her rendition of Tamborine Man and I often play and sing the Nickel Song!

For those following the New Jersey/Canada post...though she was born in NY, we could make a case for her being a Jersey girl ...according to what she's listed on her most recent entry in her online journal. http://www.melaniesmusic.com/journal/index.html
Old 10-24-2007, 04:12 PM   #25
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

I've had very eclectic tastes since childhood. As Emerson said "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds". I loved, and still do love, really loud rock music such as Yuri was fond of including his beloved Mountain with Leslie West. I also have always loved folk music including Melanie mentioned above. I love the Blues such as Muddy Waters, Johnny Winter, BB King, etc.

Due to exposure from my daughter's radio stations I am now a big fan of Shakira and Amy Winehouse.

And I am the world's biggest POCO fan, their 1969-1977 output up until Tim B. Schmit left to join The Eagles. Eagles #2 as far as country rock.

Then it gets a little strange, LOL. As far as Male performers go, as Borderstone likes to break it down, my top three would be Lightfoot, Donovan, Frank Sinatra.

But from the first time I realized who Lightfoot was and then bought that Don Quixote album in 1972 he has been Numero Uno. A man's man for the men and a lady's man for the ladies. And I had a beard and jacket just like on the cover. Second Cup Of Coffee is the soundtrack always playing in the background of my life, LOL.

That's my take on your question B - very thought provoking. Good topic.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote