banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 09-21-2008, 02:52 AM   #1
Tim

Default During "the pause" would this be appreciated or irritating if .....

Hi friends,
As Gord heads out on his next ambitious swing through the USA I was wondering about something. Most of us are very aware of how he uses the pause during CRT. In the studio it adds a great degree of dramatic effect as he sings "Many are the dead men ............ to silent to be real." In concert, when he elects to pause during that song, the outcomes are varied. Some audiences honor it and remain completely silent, but often times you hear hoots or shouts during that interval before Gord and the guys finish that masterpiece.

Lately he has also used this technique when he abruptly concludes "Ribbon of Darkness" before the last two words, pauses for quite a while then launches into Sundown. If he continues to do this during this current series of shows I was wondering what would happen if, during that specific pause, some of his fans provided the vocal and sang out: "OVER ME" in melody before he had a chance to start Sundown.

I'd like to ask if this has been done before. Also, do you think Gord would find it irritiating because the pause was violated, or might he actually appreciate it and find it humorous? Please cast your vote by replying to this post. Thanks.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:13 AM   #2
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW
Default Re: During "the pause" would this be appreciated or irritating if .....

I'd say it would depend on his mood. Just a guess, eh ?

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:56 AM   #3
Jesse Joe

I think that Gord would probably give a little smile at this.. But like BillW Im just guessing here.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:21 AM   #4
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
...some of his fans provided the vocal and sang out: "OVER ME" in melody before he had a chance to start Sundown.

I'd like to ask if this has been done before. Also, do you think Gord would find it irritiating because the pause was violated, or might he actually appreciate it and find it humorous?
I can't find the post but I think it was John F who made a post telling of a corfidian sitting near him at Massey Hall last spring who shouted out 'Over Me'...I don't remember how Gord's reaction was described but since they were recording, perhaps it will be on the live cd, not

there was also the anecdote (char probably knows how to hunt these down) where Gord singled out the audience guy caught sleeping during the "dead men" line

myself, I like to hear silence during the pauses...i think he may have created the ROB pause in order to make the segue into Sundown work better, chord-wise ... the same way he would segue from Spanish Moss into Let It Ride which I really liked other than the former getting short changed ...have a great time during and after the concert

Last edited by jj; 09-21-2008 at 10:13 AM.
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:02 AM   #5
sunshine

I've been at concerts when the audience filled in the pause and Gordon as well as the band were amused and seemed to appreciate it. Lately, however, the pause seems to have generated more confusion on the part of the audience, they're left sort of hanging, but they get over it immediately once they realize that Sundown is upcoming. I guess that's what makes the repeated concert-going so fun. The unenlightened think, "How can you just watch and listen to the same old songs time after time.?" But I think there is always something different happening or a revelation in the music that wasn't noticed previously. Either audience reaction works for me and I think for Gordon as well.
________
Yamaha GT80

Last edited by sunshine; 01-26-2011 at 12:44 AM.
sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:24 AM   #6
charlene

Yep - someone I know (he's a friend of the guys in the band from Upper NY State) who was sitting behind me in the 2nd row belted out "OVER ME"..and broke up the audience and band..-scared the hell out of me and I got a glass of wine out of it backstage..
it could make the LIVE CD fer sure!

And a few years back at the break in CRT when he sings "many are the dead men" Gord paused, leaned forward, pointed up the aisle at Massey and declared 'there's one now" at a guy sleeping in his seat..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:29 AM   #7
jj

i knew you'd remember
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:07 PM   #8
timetraveler

Yeah, I suppose it would all depend on how the whole evening had been going. And like the others, I'd only be guessing too.
timetraveler is offline   Reply With Quote