banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 06-25-2009, 08:42 PM   #1
Jenney

Default Florence, MA-June 24,2009-The Pines Theatre

It’s been raining around here for weeks! Yesterday was no exception, but every now and then it would clear, giving hope that we would get through the concert without getting rained on! I thought some of the seats were under cover, and the rest were lawn seats. None of the seats were under cover, which I think made a lot of people nervous enough not to show up. The concert was delayed about 30 mins to allow people to park and hike up to the theater. Even then, there were a lot of empty seats.
The show started about 7:30, and I had heard that Gord was going to do one set, no breaks in case the weather turned bad again. A couple of times we felt rain, but it never evolved into anything. There were lots of nice people sharing their bug spray too, which gave the venue a much different aroma then the venues of my youth!
Gord came out, stood in the center grinning, and just said "HI"! Followed by "sorry I’m late!" He then launched into:
Triangle
Cotton Jenney
14 Karat Gold
Never Too Close
A Painter Passing Through
Let it Ride
Rainy Day People
Shadows
Beautiful
Carefree Highway
Hangdog Hotel Room
Ribbon of Darkness/ Sundown
The Watchman’s Gone
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald
Alberta Bound
Don Quixote
If Children Had Wings
In my Fashion
IYCRMM
Restless - after this one Gord mentioned that he could hear all the critters, and was happy to find that the crickets were in tune! I noticed them after that, and began to appreciate the surroundings
Baby Step Back
Early Morning Rain
Song For a Winter’s Night
Blackberry Wine
Encore,
Old Dan’s Records
He introduced Wreck stating several times that there were 29,000 lbs of iron on board. When he reached the part in the song that says 26,000 lbs, he said he was wrong, there were 26,000 lbs. He started laughing at himself, and had to stop the song for a min. It was funny.

Last edited by Jenney; 06-26-2009 at 12:01 PM.
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:38 PM   #2
brink-

Default Re: Look Park 6/24/2009

Thanks Jenney, great review. Nice to see Gord banter a bit. I guess even mother nature knows not to mess with a Gord concert. I was thinking of going to the Town Hall show, but decided to wait and see if there was some concerts closer. Was hoping to catch up with you.
Deb
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:44 AM   #3
jj

Hi JR, love the anecdotes! thanks for sharing.

Will there be no "new-old" tune(s) added to this years tour? I remember Diane and I rapping about that in a prior thread but how about something that suits his current voice such as "Drink you Glasses Empty" or "Much to My Surprise" or "Morning Glory"...they all have that nasal, baseball play by play guy, type tone...It's hard to believe I now refer to tunes off WFY as "old" but it's been almost 2 decades, wow...or how about River of Light? I'll quit whining, lol...sounds like a wonderful night...keep cool, and dry....ps) hi DB
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 12:02 PM   #4
Jenney

No "new" songs this time, nor anything from Harmony. He did cut this short, he was out there 90 mins, so maybe he pulled a few out. I'm off to two more shows this weekend so we'll see what he does.

Sorry you aren't making the trip Deb, it would have been nice to see you!
Old 06-26-2009, 12:29 PM   #5
jj

ok then, myself and others are fully counting on you to be relentlessly chanting "7 Island Suite" from your front row position to the point where Gord and the band either caves and pulls out a lyrics cheat sheet and breaks into it OR summons security to have you removed from the venue!

enjoy this run, JR
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:02 PM   #6
Sundown17

Yeah, jj, every time someone posts a recap of a concert, I check the set list for something new-old. However, ICHW will still be new-old to me as my concert goings have decreased and I have not heard that one enough.

Jenney and I will be going to the one NH concert in August. Also an outdoor venue, but with more protection from the fickle NE weather. Maybe Gord will surprise us there???

Diane
Sundown17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 04:07 PM   #7
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

I don't think he pulled anything out. There are 26 songs there, if you count ROD/Sundown as two songs which I do. A typical 2 set show has 25 to 27 or 28 songs. A one set show is 19 to 21 songs. So what he did is come out and do two sets worth of songs without any break at all. Rather amazing, actually.

PS: It's 26 thousand TONS, not pounds. BIG difference. Did he really say pounds?

Last edited by vlmagee; 06-26-2009 at 04:11 PM.
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 05:13 PM   #8
Jenney

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
ok then, myself and others are fully counting on you to be relentlessly chanting "7 Island Suite" from your front row position to the point where Gord and the band either caves and pulls out a lyrics cheat sheet and breaks into it OR summons security to have you removed from the venue!

enjoy this run, JR
Someone was chanting 7 Island Suite, but it remained unsung.

As far as security goes, I'm not sure Gord could hear me if I did chant it due to the distance that the restraining order keeps me at.....
Old 06-26-2009, 05:14 PM   #9
Jenney

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlmagee View Post

PS: It's 26 thousand TONS, not pounds. BIG difference. Did he really say pounds?
Whoops! I compounded Gords error, I believe he did say Tons.