banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk

Old 06-21-2006, 11:32 PM   #1
Restless

Now will you try to tell us you been too long at school, that knowledge is not needed, that power does not rule, that war is not the answer, that young men should not die? Sit down, young stranger, I wait for your reply. The answer is not easy for souls are not reborn. To wear the crown of peace you must wear the crown of thorns. If Jesus had a reason, I'm sure he would not tell. We treated him so badly, how could he wish us well?
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 11:38 PM   #2
LSH

rofl. nicely done.

here's another that probably should be banned from the lyrics section:

Make my world a better place to be
Remove these chains and set me free
Give my life one reason to begin
Forgive me Lord for I have sinned

Censorship replaces common sense...isn't that what we have here?
Sorry Char, hope this doesn't fill your inbox.

[ June 22, 2006, 01:52: Message edited by: LSH ]
LSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 05:02 AM   #3
geodeticman

Send a message via AIM to geodeticman

Restless - I hear you and LSH - I don't know of any taboos yet as a 4 month corfidian exept for when we do not maintain good taste, respect for one another, and especially, in the general discussion area, talk of Gord should prevail.

Certainly lyrics of his as poetry, and the way it weaves in to the music ( or vice-versa? ) are not a likely candidate for theoretical banning I hear about once in a while, but see no sign of. I've been treated only fair and square by nice folk in the monitering and administration of this venue.

Towards the discussion of his lyrics, we could put blinders on and selectively omit any of Gord's distinctly spritual ( at times only) lyrics as part of the man and his music but if we did that, we'd be sorely missing an important aspect of his music; like being told to not look at the colour blue in an art forum.

No one has EVER asked me not to do this (talk of spiritual lyrics), and so I join in with you two to mention my favourite excerpt from one of my favourite GL songs "Make Way For the Lady": "shake hands with the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost; the impossible believer, and the Heaavenly Host" . In a rare Jazzy song to boot !

More important than ballyhooing whether it is or isn't spiritual, or attempting to hope that by placing it in context makes it not spiritual, or moreover, saying its only general spiritualism or humanism, versus what clearly appears imho to be a reference to believing in the trinity ! (it seems to me, maybe not others, that's cool)

In my way of thinking, knowing it IS in poor taste to DWELL on this in a musical forum (and a Nation as a fouding precept) where freedom of religious choice is important, and the freedom to speak, write, ( and may we infer: sing about it ?) CAN be in poor taste .

It can be if our prime motivation is to attempt to eviscerate whether GL and/or some of his lyrics are Christian or otherwise, and whether his lyrics are indicative of this or simply chronicling history or events in life as an undeniably powerful aspect of society, like injustice, racism, senseless war, etc.

It is certainly imho within the pervue of this still enjoyable forum for me because I have never ONCE been chastised for bringing up these lyrics only occassionally, to be in good taste, and not attempt to present my opinions as truisms. Rather, consider it [his lrycs) as a facet of his music to talk of some times here.

I think that this has not been denied me might be because imho I think I have exercised restraint in order to be respectful of other religious beliefs than my own, or whether a person is gnostic or agnostic, atheist or theological, etc. I see no problem here despite occassional references to it (e.g. members posting their preference to NOT talk religion, which I respect) not having their reasonable requests being thoughtfully considered.

More power to ALL ( non-private and tasteful )facets of Lightfoot that are fair game to discuss ! Imho though, that does not include speculation of HIS own religious beliefs. I consider that, mine, and all of yours as your own private and personal business.

If it comes up in small talk, I am inclined to think it is not leaving the realm of polite discussion to discuss the religious ASPECTS of SOME of his lyrics, or as pointed out above my post, entire songs that are seemingly entirely spiritual ( intrinsic to some claasic folk music ) there are several imho.

I am not offended by it, and welcome reading polar views of my own personal ones. Lightfoot rules ! Ain't it a wunnerful world ? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Steve

[ June 22, 2006, 05:56: Message edited by: geodeticman ]
geodeticman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 06:33 AM   #4
charlene

Quote:

Sorry Char, hope this doesn't fill your inbox. [/QB]
That is patently untrue Laurel and your common sense regarding that issue seems to have disappeared.

I'm sorry you feel that way.

Discussing adult issues in an adult fashion is never a problem with anyone at CORFID. Steve has expressed this most eloquently.

When personal attacks over personal views occur then a moderator/webmaster needs to step in.

THAT is not censorship.

Char
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 07:57 AM   #5
TheWatchman

Quote:
Originally posted by charlene:

That is patently untrue Laurel and your common sense regarding that issue seems to have disappeared.

I'm sorry you feel that way.

Discussing adult issues in an adult fashion is never a problem with anyone at CORFID. Steve has expressed this most eloquently.

When personal attacks over personal views occur then a moderator/webmaster needs to step in.

THAT is not censorship.

Char
Laurel, 100% correct. Restless, as usual, your 100% on the mark.

Totally untrue Charlene. I have been attacked for my beliefs and very cruel things said about me personally, my beliefs and my Savior. All in threads in which I was never a part of and some that I've been a part of!! You have never stepped in, even when someone posted that aweful sh*t about my parents and kids that I didn't have. Yet, I never, not once attacked anybody on a personal level. My replies have always been of a rebuttal nature about the facts and exposing inaccurate things that people say about me and my faith. Period.

What gives around this place? Talk about being narcissistic and not being able to remove the blinders to see the truth.
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 08:11 AM   #6
LSH

No Char, not untrue.
However, I was not speaking of censorship on your part. My post was NOT directed to you.
And I sincerely hope it doesn't fill your inbox, as you have had enough of that lately. I have NEVER argued your choices with you.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:30 AM   #7
Florian

Quote:
Sorry Char, hope this doesn't fill your inbox.
Charlene is doing a most wondeful job here spending her time at keeping the forum from utter deterioration into stupidity and spam attacks.

In all of the years I've never ever heard of a single decision that has been unjustified or done without careful consideration. You make it sound like every second topic gets deleted or that some rampant gestapo officer forces his opinion on you. This is far from the truth, wake up!

This is a general word of advise:
If you feel you've been treated unfairly, take a step out of the closet and look in the mirror for once. I will not tolerate any personal jabs at charlene. I'll take out the ban stick and smack you on the head if this childish elementary school drama does not stop.

-Florian

P.S.
@watchman: Did you bring the issue up with charlene or me? Without knowing the conversation you talk about I find it hard to believe you've been continuously attacked one-sidedly without anyone stepping in to stop the offender and remove the insults. And even -if- you're right, that cruel things have been said about you which were not promptly removed, I'd call that a mistake, delete them now and apologize for the oversight. However, something tells me that's not how the story went and that you - for whatever reason - carry the hatchet onwards instead of burying it.

P.P.S.
moved topic to "Small Talk"
Florian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 08:39 AM   #8
charlene

Laurel -
it certainly seemed to be indicating CORFID and the controversy about deleted posts/censorship.

'isn't that what we have here?" - it seemed clear to me that 'here' meant here at Corfid.

I have cleared my inbox.

I am aware you have never argued with me about some hard decisions I have made here at CORFID. Whether you agree or not.

As one of the moderators I do appreciate that respect you have given to the position.
Char
Old 06-22-2006, 09:02 AM   #9
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Well then. My pool is open and my grill has a full tank attached. I would like you all to come on over and have a swim and and break some bread. I think face to face we'd probably all get along fairly well - maybe, maybe not ? But it's worth a try eh ? And I have a few Lightfoot CDs that I could play, LOL.

So come on down, or up, or over.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 09:08 AM   #10
TheWatchman

[quote]Originally posted by Florian:
Quote:
P.S.
@watchman: Did you bring the issue up with charlene or me? Without knowing the conversation you talk about I find it hard to believe you've been continuously attacked one-sidedly without anyone stepping in to stop the offender and remove the insults. And even -if- you're right, that cruel things have been said about you which were andnot promptly removed, I'd call that a mistake, delete them now and apologize for the oversight. However, something tells me that's not how the story went and that you - for whatever reason - carry the hatchet onwards instead of burying it.

P.P.S.
moved topic to "Small Talk"
I shouldn't have to bring it up because the moderator, as she has stated herself, "I am the moderator and speaking for myself I know I have done a bang-up job for many years." Besides, the moderator has even posted little remarks showing her amusement at offensive and personal things which were said. Things like "well said", "well put", "LMAO!!! or just simply :D " and other similiar things.

Find it hard to believe if you want, but that doesn't change the fact that it's happened several times. I have no idea if those threads still even exist. I know what was said and I know it was left up for all to see. I'm sure all that's been deleted by now though.

As far as burying the hatchet, I tried but I'm still trying to reach around my back to remove it from my melon. Someone tossed it at me while I was walking away from this site.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:26 AM   #11
Florian

@watchman:

So you've come back to take a good long bath in self-pity and to revel about how no one noticed the injustice done? What's the point?
Old 06-22-2006, 09:36 AM   #12
LSH

Char,
I was referring to the general atmosphere at Corfid lately, certainly not you or the job you are doing. It was certainly not a personal attack or obversation on the job you are doing.

Please note that Florian. Whether I agree with Char or not, I have always respected the position she holds, and the job she is doing for us all.
thank you.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:49 AM   #13
TheWatchman

Quote:
Originally posted by Florian:
@watchman:

So you've come back to take a good long bath in self-pity and to revel about how no one noticed the injustice done? What's the point?
No, others noticed.

In my previous postings, I've made it quite clear why I decided to post again. Sometimes, even I get my fill of gossip and decide to meet it head on. I know that I whacked open a hornets nest, but sometime's it's the only way. If anybody diagrees with my methods (and I know many do), so be it, I can own that. But at least I never took up shop in the gossip mill which drives members away and hurts many in the process.

If my head happens to be on the chopping block, could you kindly remove the hatchet before you whack my head with your ban stick?
Old 06-22-2006, 10:29 AM   #14
Florian

Quote:
Originally posted by TheWatchman:
I left this site but it wasn't enough for some of you. So you had to continue to talk trash behind my back which is normally fine. But you couldn't just leave it there you had to bring my beliefs into the picture once again and then put me into one of your little theories of who is who on corfid and who's friends with you. So damn childish but again, trash my beliefs and my ears perk up. This time I felt the need to set the record straight.
Please correct me if I misunderstand your position:

.) you felt attacked by one or more posters
.) these messages have not been removed by moderators
.) you've left the board for good
.) while you're gone, trashtalk about you continues without being moderated
.) now you are back, trying to bring justice to the evildoers by launching an assault on charlene

It is not my intention to put anyones head on the chopping block but I won't let some hurt egos take out their vendetta against charlene. Twisting the tables to make it sound like inappropriate comments towards yourself were not removed with the intention to put harm on you by the moderators is completely absurd.

If my above assessment of the situation is correct, then I do apologize for not removing the offensive comments towards your person; I'm at fault here - but it also puts you at fault for not informing the moderators about the messages you find offensive. Sitting idle hoping that everyone else will feel the same way as you do about any message written here won't work.

My hope is that I can remove the hatchet from your back and you'll bring the shovel so we can bury it together. I'm happy to continue the discussion in public (internet drama is always entertaining stuff to read) or alternatively follow it up with you, charlene and me via email if you prefer a more private setting.

-Florian
Old 06-22-2006, 11:30 AM   #15
TheWatchman

Florian,

I prefer public discussions, as you are well aware. I have already stated my position on everything in your list, and don't feel the need to keep repeating myself.

As a side note, if you were trying to make a list, type brackets [] and then type LIST in between them, then make [] and put a * in between the brackets for new each item in your list. At the end of the list, type in brackets /LIST. It will look like this-
  • 1/2 lb. rump roast
  • ginger
  • onions
  • salt
  • celery
I offered to bury the hatchet in the other thread as long as people stop with the nonsense. To quote myself...
Quote:
I've said all that I have to say, but if any of you continue with garbage posts to me, I will respond this time.
As long as you wish to continue this, I'm willing, but I really don't want to continue for the next 2 weeks with all this "childish elementary school drama".

I have not, nor have I ever " launched an assault on Char". If your referring to this thread, I merely stated my experience to show that Char was indeed incorrect. That's not an assault, it's an experience. I didn't start this thread, nor did I start any "debate" with you. As usual, the majority of my posts in this type of bickering is merely a response to questions & misinformation.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:43 AM   #16
Florian

Quote:
Florian,
As a side note, if you were trying to make a list, type brackets [] and then type LIST .....
hehe

Well then, i'm happy it seems like we can put this controversy to rest. Those who you think are chasing you have stopped, you're not attacking charlene and I finally learned how to properly make a list.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:53 AM   #17
TheWatchman

Quote:

Well then, i'm happy it seems like we can put this controversy to rest. Those who you think are chasing you have stopped, you're not attacking charlene and I finally learned how to properly make a list.
And during this process, people got a little recipe for roast that I just made up.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:57 AM   #18
charlene

No problem with people having opinions on subjects such as religion/politics/sex etc.

We all have our own opinions.....and like you I am not that blind or immature that I can't accept someone else's right to say what they think.

I think it was Voltaire that said something like this (as did my father) :
"I may not agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

However, in a forum such as this the personal insults are not necessary to make a point. Whether it be here or in the daily lives we all try to get through the lack of courtesy is not welcome or necessary...

I get slagged when I do try to get things back on track and when I don't as well.

Good grief - cencorship of members...look what deleting posts results in...

Nobody is killing any messengers or anyone who is respectful, thoughtful and pleasantly engaged in any sort of topic.

There was no appeasement inferred and anyone wishing 'those' topics not be brought up know only too well how things seem to deteriorate into what we have seen the last few days.

How long I've know a person has never, nor will ever play a part in my decisions in trying to keep CORFID from imploding.

The lack of civility at times is as astounding as the mean-spirited, intentional and hurtful things that are said in defence of an opinion.

All persons, past and present have contributed many wonderful, thoughtful, insightful posts here and I honestly hope that will now continue.

Florian is busy working on a wonderful new place for us and I would like to thank him for keeping this site on the internet for us, during good and bad times. Setting up a fabulous new site with new features is very generous of him and I for one thank him for allowing fans of all stripes to meet here day after day, year after year...
Char
Old 06-22-2006, 12:03 PM   #19
LSH

Does ginger really go all that well with beef?
I always think cookies when I think ginger...hmm.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:32 PM   #20
charlene

I think of Gilligan's Island when I think of Ginger....

beef....well I'll leave that alone....
Old 06-22-2006, 12:34 PM   #21
TheWatchman

Ginger goes well with beef and chicken. I was never a fan of ginger, until I met my wife as she uses it a lot, and I mean a lot. I'm kinda burned out on it though.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:44 PM   #22
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

[quote]Originally posted by Florian:
Quote:
[qb] and I finally learned how to properly make a list.
LOL Me too Hip Hip Hooray for that.It was after all Al who in effect started the recent list of unpleasantness because he originally got me going by explaining how to display pictures, and I have previously tried and failed to make the UBB List code work
Thanks Al
John
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 03:43 PM   #23
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

So I guess this means you're all coming over to swim, after all. I'll stop on the way home and get some groceries but I'll skip the ginger just this once.

See ya soon.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 03:59 PM   #24
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin'
spammer

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TheWatchman:
Florian,
As a side note, if you were trying to make a list, type brackets [] and then type LIST .....
hehe

[/QUOTE]
There's a little room on my list for tonight
Will ya be the one to fill it in
Toss around what is up, what is down
In between, would ya like to dream
Step on in, ya don't have to play to win
But then you might
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 06:51 PM   #25
LSH

Great Bill...whats for dinner? is there any Corona and a lime in that grocery bag?