banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 02-20-2004, 08:24 AM   #1
TheWatchman

Where can I find medical procedure codes? I have a procedure code that I need to find out it means. Thanks.
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 08:46 AM   #2
Auburn Annie

Medical procedure codes (technically the CPT, or Current Procedure Terminology) are a proprietary product of the American Medical Association used for billing so you won't find the whole set floating around on the internet. That said, you could try Googling the CPT number if you have it and see what comes up. They're not a state secret. Every hospital's medical records office (and some medical libraries) as well as doctor's office will have a copy of the latest CPT. Also (and I haven't seen or used this, so I don't know how good it is) there's a new book called "The Consumer's Guide to Medical Procedure Codes" written for the lay reader. Here's a link and description - maybe either a hospital library or public library would have it:
"Have you ever wondered what those codes on your doctor's bill or health insurance claim form really mean?

Now for the first time consumers have access to the same information that doctors, hospitals, and health insurance companies have been using to communicate information about medical procedures and services with each other for over 20 years. With thousands of codes describing medicine, surgery, laboratory and radiology services and procedures, The Consumer's Guide to Medical Procedure Codes helps consumers verify the accuracy of medical information recorded by their doctors and included on health insurance forms.

The codes listed are the "official" Current Procedural Terminology (CPT®) codes published annually by the American Medical Association (AMA). These codes are required by law for most health insurance claims. Consumers can use this book to find descriptions and other information about medical services, surgical and diagnostic procedures." http://hiponline.site.yahoo.net/medproccod.html

Hope this helps!

Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 09:13 AM   #3
TheWatchman

Thanks! That helped a lot. I found exactly what I needed.
Old 02-20-2004, 09:44 AM   #4
Auburn Annie

Glad to help - all my questions should be so easy.

Keep your fingers crossed for me - I interviewed on Wednesday for a new job, a unique arrangement between the VA hospital in Syracuse and its neighbor SUNY Upstate Medical University. I'd be the VA librarian, paid by the federal government, but actually work as a reference librarian at Upstate. Going from no office to call my own, to two offices, one in each place! And the pay ain't bad either.

They had lots of applicants, interviewed only the top 3, and I know from one of the staff that I'm the only one with medical experience which - please God - may give me an inside track. And the library is only one block from where one of my sisters works, at Syracuse University, so I'd have built in transportation every day. I will be SO bummed if I don't get it.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 10:45 AM   #5
TheWatchman

Sounds like the job is yours! I hope you get it.
Old 02-20-2004, 11:52 AM   #6
Oma

Best wishes for the job, Annie!!!!
Oma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 01:11 PM   #7
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Good luck with the job Annie.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 01:19 PM   #8
DMD3

I also have just turned in an application for a job recently and hope they call. I'm about to turn in one to work as a janitor at the hospital. I would do it today in fact, but I didn't fill it out yet due to me needing my social security card; I'll have to get that first.

(I've heard that work sucks, but so far it's looking for it that's lived up to what they say)
Old 02-20-2004, 11:29 PM   #9
brink

Good luck Annie, I just got a job finally, myself. Maybe it is the right time of the year for all of us unemployed medical people.
I'm hoping for you!
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 05:10 PM   #10
violet Blue Horse

Good Luck Annie!

I think there's something in the air. I accepted a job offer last week. They needed someone with radio sales experience and I can pretty much guarantee I'm it in this city. It means more money and going back to the radio/advertising sales biz which I dearly love. What a relief from selling homeowners and auto insurance.

quote:Originally posted by brink:
Good luck Annie, I just got a job finally, myself. Maybe it is the right time of the year for all of us unemployed medical people.
I'm hoping for you!

------------------
Born once - Got it right the first time. )O(
Old 02-21-2004, 09:42 PM   #11
brink

How great VBH! Isn't it nice to get a job that you really like and get paid decent for it? Unfortunately my job I really liked was 14 years ago (the owners divorced and closed the business). But I'm still hoping to duplicate that experience again. But I have one now. I'm so happy for you with your change, I remember you saying about the fire insurance and trees.
Old 02-21-2004, 11:09 PM   #12
violet Blue Horse

I love radio people. I understand them. Insurance people mistify me still. One of the first jobs I ever had was doing research for a weekly top 40 publication. Essentially I was supposed to squeeze information out of programers about which songs they were adding or dropping that week.

I got to talk to some of those most amazing radio voices all across the country. I came to know some great people through that job. If I could go back to anything, it would be spending my days talking to PD's and MD's all across the country. I have this thing about male voices you see. It was the perfect job.

There is always hope Brink. This job came out of the blue at me, and it's like it was custom made for me. Strange and wonderful things CAN happen!

How great VBH! Isn't it nice to get a job that you really like and get paid decent for it? Unfortunately my job I really liked was 14 years ago (the owners divorced and closed the business). But I'm still hoping to duplicate that experience again. But I have one now. I'm so happy for you with your change, I remember you saying about the fire insurance and trees.

Old 02-23-2004, 01:33 PM   #13
DMD3

I think I might get hired.
Old 02-23-2004, 10:08 PM   #14
brink

VHB
PD, MD? Please explain. Have you started your job yet?
Old 02-23-2004, 10:45 PM   #15
violet Blue Horse

PD, Program Director. In theory that is the person responsible for the overall sound of a radio station, from what kind of music, to where the breaks are, how long they are, how DJ's get in and out of breaks, etc. But most of the sound is decided by consultants these days.

MD, Music Director. In theory that is the person responsible for deciding which new songs to test, which ones to add to the stations rotation, which old ones to drop, and what their top 40 looks like on a given week. Usually the MD is also a DJ. But again, most of it is done by consultants now days.

I start the new job in Mid March. The Agency is talking about giving me severance pay to leave early though because they want my desk for the person I'm training to replace me. That would be nice. I haven't had an honest to gosh paid vacation in years.

VHB
PD, MD? Please explain. Have you started your job yet?

Old 02-24-2004, 09:32 PM   #16
brink

That would be nice wouldn't it? Where would you go?
Old 02-24-2004, 10:11 PM   #17
violet Blue Horse

I think I may play tourist here in town. There's so much I haven't seen here because I haven't had the time. It seems I've been on the run every since I moved up here to relax, LOL. Gotta work on that relaxation thing. I'm obviously not good at it.

That would be nice wouldn't it? Where would you go?