banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 06-19-2016, 08:42 PM   #1
charlene

Default ST.LOUIS , MISSOURI - June 19,2016

RICK:
Today, we rolled into the historically rich city of St Louis, Missouri, on the Mississippi River. We are in the theater and gallery district at the Sheldon Theater, around the corner from The Fox, where we played in 2008, the last time we were in town.

charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 11:48 PM   #2
imported_Ordinary_Man

Default Setlist St. Louis MO

The Watchman's Gone
Sea of Tranquility
Drifters
All the Lovely Ladies
A Painter Passing Through
Make Way for the Lady
Shadows
Beautiful
Much to My Surprise
Cold On the Shoulder
Carefree Highway
Did She Mention My Name?
Ribbon of Darkness
Sundown

Intermission

Drink Yer Glasses Empty
The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald
Never Too Close
I'd Rather Press On
Rainy Day People
Let It Ride
If You Could Read My Mind
Restless
Baby Step Back
Early Morning Rain

Encore:
Waiting For You

Last edited by imported_Ordinary_Man; 06-20-2016 at 12:23 AM.
imported_Ordinary_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:40 AM   #3
charlene

Default Re: ST.LOUIS , MISSOURI - June 19,2016

thanks for the setlist! how was the evening??
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:30 AM   #4
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

What a gorgeous photo by Rick of the famous arch
which will be 50 years old next year. there is an interesting wiki at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gateway_Arch

It even has as an observation deck

"Near the top of the Arch, passengers exit the tram compartment and climb a slight grade to enter the observation area. This arched deck, 65 feet (20 m) long and 7 feet (2.1 m) wide, can hold about 160 people, four trams' worth.[68] Sixteen windows per side, each measuring 7 by 27 inches (180 mm × 690 mm), offer views up to 30 miles (48 km). to the east across the Mississippi River and southern Illinois with its prominent Mississippian culture mounds at Cahokia Mounds, and to the west over the city of St. Louis and St. Louis County beyond." needed]

The windows of the observation deck are located around the apex of the arch.

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:43 AM   #5
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

I liked this comment in the wiki too
Some have questioned whether St. Louis really was—as Saarinen said—the "Gateway to the West". Kansas City-born "deadline poet" Calvin Trillin wrote,
I know you're thinking that there are considerable differences between T.S. Eliot and me. Yes, it is true that he was from St. Louis, which started calling itself the Gateway to the West after Eero Saarinen's Gateway Arch was erected, and I'm from Kansas City, where people think of St. Louis not as the Gateway to the West but as the Exit from the East

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 04:02 PM   #6
Tim

The evening at St. Louis was fantastic. I recorded the setlist as well, same was what "Ordinary Man" posted above. We had great seats, 5th row, center. Gordon and the guys were in good spirits. The venue holds about 750, every seat was filled with vocal, enthusiastic, appreciative fans. There was a lot of singing along from the audience, even to his lesser known numbers. But the audience singing did not detract from the sound, in fact it enhanced the feeling of an intimate concert, which it was. All the guys were sharp as usual. To open the second set, Gordon came out with only Mike to perform "Drink Yer Glasses Empty." That is the first time I've heard it that way. During that song, and on numerous occasions during the performance we had the opportunity to hear just Gordon on the guitar. He played extremely well. His voice sounded great too. Had the opportunity to meet Barry and Gordon after the show. Spent some nice time with them. He seemed to really enjoy himself during the show and after. We all hope we have many more opportunities to see him again. He and the guys seem to be really going along strong on this tour!!

Last edited by Tim; 06-23-2016 at 09:41 AM.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 05:41 PM   #7
imported_Ordinary_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
thanks for the setlist! how was the evening??
Hi, I'm back with some time to give some recollections of the show.

Thanks to Tim for the review of the show that he posted above. I too, (with some friends) was in the 5th row but we were in the left section right on the aisle.

The Sheldon is one of my favorite concert venues in town. I seem to be there two or three times a month to see and hear someone. Nearly everyone that plays there raves about the acoustics, the stained glass and the intimate feel. I was thrilled when I found out Gord was going to be there. At some point Gord mentioned seeing an impressive list of the people who had appeared there although he gave no names. A few years ago, when Kathy Mattea first appeared there, she mentioned that she was humbled to be standing where Albert Einstein once stood while giving a lecture. She then, for the rest of the evening, wove a lovely narrative around his famous E=MC squared. I can't begin to recollect exactly how she got there, but by the end of the evening she had concluded that "energy equals love and love equals energy".

But back to Gord's show. There was an amusing moment (there almost always is) at the "silent" hanging ending to Ribbon of Darkness. A small group in the center attempted to sing (a bit off-key) the "over me" ending. The audience laughed and Gord completely stopped to address the issue. I don't remember his exact words but something about being in a pub in England or Ireland when the drunks start singing. "Have ya ever BEEN in one of those places?" After some muttering and laughter he finally said "leave yer names with the receptionist and we'll get back to ya." And then came the opening chords to Sundown to much applause.

Also, there was a song in the first set, (Cold On the Shoulder I think) that involved Rick stepping forward a bit and enhancing the vocals on the refrain. Gord slightly turned his head and gave a look as if to say, "what was THAT?" and then just kept going. It was funny.

Well, that's about all I can recall for now. I don't have time right now but I'm gonna try to post some pics that I took late in the show from my phone. (If anyone else has pics please post them.) I don't like to use the flash (but I took these while the stage lights were fairly bright) so they aren't very good due to movement but maybe they'll give an idea of the smallish stage. This was the first time in several years and concerts I've been to around the midwest where they didn't have the backdrop curtains hanging. I assume the stage is just too small.

Regards to all,
Steve
imported_Ordinary_Man is offline   Reply With Quote