banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2022, 08:36 AM   #1
charlene

Default VIEW NOW!! -LIGHTHEADED-A Gordon Lightfoot State of Mind - PREMIERE in TO-Mar.17-2022

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/deta...ieLoBZCtooBTok

More to come as I get time...I am honoured to be part of this epic project and the fabulous evening in Toronto..

'Lightheaded’ documentary connects Gordon Lightfoot to Traverse City
By Alexandra Dailey Special to the Record-Eagle Mar 18, 2022

TRAVERSE CITY — Many Michiganders, especially those of us who live in the northern region, are familiar with Canadian singer-songwriter Gordon Lightfoot and his ballad describing the fateful last voyage of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

Many of us are also familiar with Lightfoot’s expansive repertoire, but the Corcoran family of Traverse City may just be the biggest Gordon Lightfoot fans to date.

This lifelong love of Lightfoot’s music set the Corcorans on a six-year adventure of creating a feature-length documentary entitled “Lightheaded: A Gordon Lightfoot State of Mind.”

It’s a “metaphorical hug and kiss to Gordon’s music and his career from his fans,” said family patriarch John Corcoran.

It all began in 1971, while John was growing up in East Lansing. He was introduced to Gordon’s music as a high school student and attended one of his concerts at Michigan State University. After that, the deal was sealed on John’s enduring devotion to Lightfoot’s work.

“I had never heard such arrangements,” said John. “A melding of guitar work, subtle yet impactful bass, and of course, a voice like no other I had ever heard before, or since. His poetry was earthly, passionate, romantic and real.”

In 1989, John had the opportunity to meet Gordon and the band through their late manager Barry Harvey, establishing what would become a friendship between the fan and musician.

Through the years, John attended somewhere between 400 and 500 Gordon Lightfoot shows, traveling across the US and Canada, bringing his family along for the ride. This experience especially resonated with two of John’s children, Brady Corcoran and Baylee Kahlon, which fueled this documentary project focusing on Lightfoot, his bandmates, fans worldwide and John himself.

“I am a bit of a focus,” said John. “The movie starts with my passion and grows from there, doing a deeper dive into all the fans who also fell in love with [Gordon’s] music. The documentary was a chance to highlight not only Gord, which others have done, but to shine a brighter light on the guys who help make his sound so wonderful.”

It was back in 2016 that Brady and Baylee first proposed the idea of filming a documentary. John and his wife RoseLee were planning to visit the UK and Ireland and go on a Gordon Lightfoot tour, and their children knew it was something worth getting on film.
“Our parents have always supported our creative endeavors and are dreamers themselves,” said Brady. “So the idea of doing something like this wasn’t a very hard sell.”

What ensued was a family collaboration that spanned years, countries, and continents, as the Corcorans traveled around Europe and Canada, conducting interviews, attending shows, making connections with other fans, and compiling footage. Baylee spearheaded the project with Brady as her co-director and with their cameraman Noam Chojnowski and film editor Nadav Elovic. With a crew from Israel, Morocco, Wales, and the US, they brought their idea to life.

“This was the little project that could, truly, as our original idea was to film the whole thing on a Go-Pro,” said Baylee. “We honestly thought we could do just that, and it would be fine. We were very, very wrong. But one thing kept leading to another, and we found ourselves in the thickets of making a documentary film. And once we were at that point, it was like — if we do this, we need to do it right.”

Baylee Kahlon resides in Haifa, Israel, with her husband and two children. She holds a master’s degree in English Literature and teaches yoga. She had no experience in filmmaking when she decided to team up with her brother to make “Lightheaded.”

She quickly learned the ropes of filmmaking, documentaries, movie protocols, and film clip licensing and got involved with the National Film Board of Canada. It was a lot to wade through, but Baylee knew there was a story to tell about Gordon, his fans and her family.

“On a personal level, [Gordon’s music is] the soundtrack to our childhood, so the music has been in our bones from the beginning,” said Baylee. “The things he speaks of in his music and the questions he raises are universal and worth a look in these times, and really, in any time, because history and the patterns of the human heart repeat itself,” she added.

“This was a once-in-a-lifetime experience,” said Brady about undertaking this project alongside his family and documentary team.

Brady Corcoran, audio technology coordinator at Northwestern Michigan College, had some background in editing short movie clips for post-production audio before embarking on their documentary filming experience; and he found true enjoyment working on a “real” film.

Brady had the pleasure of interviewing Gordon twice, once after a show in Michigan in 2016 and again in October 2021, which was the first home interview Lightfoot had given since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic. Brady, Noam, and Nadav were welcomed by Gordon and his wife Kim, and they gave a beautiful interview that was woven into the film.

“The first time I interviewed him, we sort of bonded over our love of music theory, which is very nerdy and probably not something he gets to talk about very often,” recalled Brady. “[The experience] was extra special, especially when I think of my dad, who raised us on this music and instilled this deep appreciation for it, and now he gets to see his son at Lightfoot’s house making a real connection.”

For more than 60 years, Gordon Lightfoot’s music has been reaching people’s hearts and spirits through his storytelling songwriter style, and this documentary highlights not only his art but his passionate fans and followers, including the Corcorans and beyond. Throughout this project, Brady and Baylee met and interviewed numerous Lightfoot fans, learning how the music had impacted their lives.

“The super-neat thing about this documentary is that you feel like you’re sitting down with friends as they tell the story of Gordon Lightfoot through their eyes. And that is basically how it was, all these wonderful moments of connection over something as human and as lovely as music in places around the world,” said Baylee.

It took six long years to deliver their heartfelt story amidst living their own lives, seeing to families and careers. Still, Baylee and Brady were never deterred, even with unavoidable hiccups, choosing to persevere and bring their goal to fruition for all to enjoy. Their father’s passion for Gordon’s music served as inspiration and the heart of the film.

“We took this quirky and lovable situation and made it relatable to a whole lot of us who grew up on the love of music,” said Baylee. “Making this documentary was one of those ideas that you throw into the air, but this actually happened, so we are just beyond grateful for that and still kind of in disbelief.”

The world premiere of “Lightheaded” is set to occur in Toronto on March 17, with Gordon and his band in attendance.

After the premiere, the documentary will be available for viewing on Amazon, Tubi, and Peacock TV. For more information about “Lightheaded: A Gordon Lightfoot State of Mind,” visit Heart and Seoul Productions on Facebook.

https://www.record-eagle.com/news/ar...3fffb6e65.html
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 10:41 AM   #2
charlene

Default Re: NEW DOC-LIGHTHEADED-A Gordon Lightfoot State of Mind - PREMIERE in TO-Mar.17-2022

Gordon Lightfoot fans gather to pay tribute to a living legend with new documentary
DF
By David FriendThe Canadian Press
Thu., March 17, 2022

TORONTO - Gordon Lightfoot kept his humbled composure on Thursday night as a room of devoted fans toasted the Canadian folk legend at the premiere of “Lightheaded: A Gordon Lightfoot State of Mind,” an affectionate documentary about the community that’s grown from decades of his music.

Held in-person at the restored 1930’s-style Eglinton Grand venue in Toronto, the modest, invite-only event was centred around one thing: the 83-year-old guest of honour who showed up to receive the loving embrace alongside his bandmates.

“Tonight is very special to us,” Lightfoot said as he took a moment aside from the festivities.

“There are some really great fans in this group here,” he added. “I’m happy to meet them.”

And with that he stepped away to mingle, posing for photographs with the filmmakers and their friends, and sticking around to watch the documentary for the first time.

“Lightheaded” is a love letter to Lightfoot and the meaningful impact his classic songs such as “Sundown,” “If You Could Read My Mind” and “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald” to name a few, have on listeners, especially the ones who refer to themselves as Lightheads.

The documentary traces a group of them, led by its producer and lifelong fan John Corcoran, as they traverse the globe in hope of taking another hit of Lightfoot’s live energy. Much of the footage was captured during his tour of the United Kingdom and British Isles in 2016.

Interviews with Lightfoot and his bandmates are scattered throughout the film to offer viewpoints from the life of touring musicians.
Corcoran, 67, claims to have seen Lightfoot in concert more than 400 times since his cousin first played the 1970 album “Sit Down Young Stranger” for him when he was a teenager.

“I heard ‘Minstrel of the Dawn’ and I was off to the Milky Way,” he said of the LP’s first track.

After hearing their father spin Lightfoot music their entire lives, his two children decided they wanted to turn his unwavering love into a proper film, even though they hadn’t had any experience making one before.

“This is a perspective that only we have because of dad here and the years of friendships that developed,” said co-director Brady Corcoran of what he and his sister brought to the film.

“Lightheaded” arrives with the unintentional lens of the COVID-19 pandemic, which makes footage of packed concerts and gatherings of friends carry a strange nostalgia for a bygone era.

“It’s almost a snapshot in time of six years ago when everything seemed almost naive,” said co-director Baylee Kahlon.

Watching those moments at the “Lightheaded” premiere was a reminder of a rare and cherished opportunity to come together at a movie screening that might not have happened even a few months ago.

“Having people gather safely was unbelievable to imagine” at one time, Kahlon said. “To have this event even taking place at all is a dream come true.”

“Lightheaded” will premiere on Amazon’s Prime Video in the spring.

CLICK ON LINK TO OPEN ARTICLE AND SEE PHOTOS.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published March 17, 2022.
click on photo to open article and see 2nd photo
https://www.thestar.com/entertainmen...entary.html?rf
Old 04-08-2022, 07:43 PM   #5
charlene

Default Re: NEW DOC-LIGHTHEADED-A Gordon Lightfoot State of Mind - PREMIERE in TO-Mar.17-2022

Lightheaded premiere-Toronto-March 17 2022 by char Westbrook, on Flickr
Old 04-08-2022, 10:48 PM   #6
JBG

Send a message via AIM to JBG

Can someone email me at ch11lawyer@yahoo.ca when this becomes available in the U.S.?
Old 04-10-2022, 01:34 PM   #7
charlene

I will post the info here and send it to you..
Old 06-23-2023, 10:47 AM   #8
charlene

VIEW:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/deta...ieLoBZCtooBTok
Old 06-26-2023, 05:54 PM   #9
charlene

Default Re: VIEW NOW!! -LIGHTHEADED-A Gordon Lightfoot State of Mind - PREMIERE in TO-Mar.17-

TUBI -

https://tubitv.com/movies/100005822/...-state-of-mind
Old 06-27-2023, 11:17 AM   #10
charlene

Default Re: VIEW NOW!! -LIGHTHEADED-A Gordon Lightfoot State of Mind - PREMIERE in TO-Mar.17-

AMAZON Canada now has it for viewing..
Old 06-27-2023, 10:22 PM   #11
charlene

https://www.orilliamatters.com/local...dd29-318369853

New documentary chronicles Gordon Lightfoot, his devoted fans
'Lightheaded tells a sweet story about loyalty, passion, talent and most of all, love and that’s something the world could really use a bit more of now,' says producer
OrilliaMatters Staff

Lightheaded, a new documentary feature film distributed by the National Film Board of Canada, follows the late Gordon Lightfoot’s most devoted fans, affectionately known as Lightheads.

Written and directed by brother-sister team Baylee Kahlon and Brady Corcoran, Lightheaded premieres on Amazon Prime Video and also on Tubi and Pluto TV, across Canada and the United States.

Lightheaded (70 minutes) celebrates and chronicles the late Gordon Lightfoot’s extraordinary career by taking viewers on a journey into the lives of his devoted fans, or Lightheads.

The film begins with the legendary Canadian singer’s tour overseas, where fans waited more than 30 years to see him perform. But as the story unfolds, it encompasses much more. The doc features heartwarming anecdotes from rock-solid band members and fun, endearing moments with the singer’s quirky fans and international crew — all woven together by enchanting music, and interviews with Lightfoot himself.

“When the band and I embarked upon our Great Britain and Irish Isles tour, we were honoured and flattered that a group of young talents wanted to document our time there. It was a treat to have the Corcorans and their crew capture our journey, and we are looking forward to seeing what they’ve put together,” commented Gordon Lightfoot prior to his passing.

“I went to my first Gordon Lightfoot concert in 1971 as a senior at East Lansing High School and was instantly hooked. Fifty-plus years later, fan devotion led me to produce Lightheaded with my children, writers and directors Baylee and Brady, and my wife, RoseLee. Lightheaded tells a sweet story about loyalty, passion, talent and most of all, love and that’s something the world could really use a bit more of now,” remarks executive producer John Corcoran.

“We got the chance to shine a light on the folks that have made such an extraordinary career possible: Lightfoot’s fans and his incredible band. We especially hope they enjoy the film, because it is mostly about them. But we think that themes of dedication, friendship, and joy will resonate with viewers regardless of if they are familiar with Lightfoot’s music or not,” comments co-writer and director Baylee Kahlon.

“You have your Dead Heads and your Parrot Heads, and on the other end of the spectrum, the Lightheads, who seem to perfectly reflect Gordon Lightfoot, who has brought them all together, a mixed bag of quirky, thoughtful, genuine folks who love to laugh, but are not afraid to cry. Fiercely loyal and open hearted, they are there for the poetry, not the party — at least not until the post-show cocktails. Now, every Lighthead gathering is like a family reunion and it is perfect,” adds co-writer and director Brady Corcoran.

Gordon Lightfoot was one of Canada’s most accomplished singer-songwriters and guitarists who had a remarkable career that spanned over 60 years and more than 200 songs with several of his albums achieving gold and multi-platinum status internationally. His songs have been recorded by artists such as Elvis Presley, Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, Hank Williams Jr., Neil Young, Barbra Streisand, Eric Clapton, John Mellencamp, The Grateful Dead, Jimmy Buffett, and The Guess Who. Bob Dylan declared Lightfoot to be one of his favourite songwriters and famously said, “I can’t think of any Gordon Lightfoot song I don’t like. When I hear a song of his, I wish it would last forever.” He has been the recipient of 16 Juno Awards and nominated for five Grammy Awards. Lightfoot has been inducted in the Canadian Music Hall of Fame, Canadian Country Music Hall of Fame, Canada’s Walk of Fame and awarded the prestigious Lifetime Achievement Award by SOCAN. In 2007 Canada Post honoured Lightfoot with a postage stamp.

Lightheaded is independently produced by Betty Bbo-Bbo, LLC. Baylee Kahlon and Brady Corcoran are the writers and directors. Edited by Nadav Elovic. Director of photography Noam Chojnowski. Post-production sound by Chris Leon. Post-production colour by Tony Manolikakis. Executive produced by John and RoseLee Corcoran.
Old 07-06-2023, 06:21 PM   #12
charlene

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts...20of%20decades.

A new Gordon Lightfoot documentary will leave you lightheaded, but in a good way
Brad Wheeler
Published June 30, 2023
Updated July 1, 2023

Lightheaded: A Gordon Lightfoot State of Mind
Written and Directed by Baylee Kahlon and Brady Corcoran
Starring Gordon Lightfoot, John Corcoran, Rick Haynes, Barry Keane, Mike Heffernan
Classification G; 74 minutes
Streaming on Prime Video

In a new documentary about the fanhood of Gordon Lightfoot, a question is posed as to what makes someone so intensely emotional over a musician that they follow that artist to 50 states and multiple continents over the course of decades.

We expect an answer from John Corcoran, who is not only the executive producer of Lightheaded: A Gordon Lightfoot State of Mind (now streaming on Prime Video) but an ebullient onscreen presence who has seen Lightfoot perform in concert hundreds of times.

Why is he such a fan? The guy never really explains.

Thankfully, in a small film that is earnest and enjoyable but not always articulate, others speak to the infatuation with Lightfoot better than Corcoran, who also happens to be the father of Baylee Kahlon and Brady Corcoran, the brother-and-sister, first-time filmmakers behind the doc. It is a small world.

The family gets great access as they tag along with Lightfoot’s tour of the United Kingdom and Ireland in the summer of 2016. They speak with Lightfoot devotees – “Lightheads” they are apparently called and members of Lightfoot’s band. The celebrated Canadian folkie himself was interviewed at his Toronto home. (He died in May, at age 84, after the film was completed.)

Asked about his fans, Lightfoot says they are “loyal.” (Well, by definition.)

The film’s most powerful moment relates to The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald, a song about a ferocious Lake Superior storm in 1975 that sank a freighter and took 29 crew members down with it. One mariner recalls hearing the epic tune for the first time while driving and pulling off the road, looking at the car radio awestruck. Citing the line, “Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours,” Captain Jeff Idema of the Great Lakes Maritime Academy says the lyric is “as powerful as you can get in this business.”

Michigan’s Richard Brauer, whose brother drowned in the Great Lakes, says this: “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald and the tragedy of the loss of life, yeah, that’s all real. And when I lose my real brother to the Great Lakes … that makes songs like that even more poignant for me.”

Lightfoot’s reaction to those stories is strong and simple, saying songs such as The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald became a “very large responsibility.”

The rookie filmmakers also have a very large responsibility. Occasionally they drop the ball: A quote is heard twice; a story about Joni Mitchell in Detroit in the 1960s is accompanied by a photo of Lightfoot and Bob Dylan in Toronto in 1975; a blogger’s review of a Lightfoot concert at London’s Royal Albert Hall is misidentified as being about a concert in Bristol.

These are unforced errors in a film that correctly paints Lightfoot as a perfectionist.

If Lightheaded is not perfect, it is perfectly acceptable as a warmly told story about kinship forged by shared musical tastes. Fans of other iconic Canadian artists have received such treatment, in Andy Keen’s The Tragically Hip in Bobcaygeon (2012) and in Dale Heslip’s Rush: Time Stand Still (2016). Now it is time to shine a light on the Lightheads, who should not be confused with Deadheads (fans of the Grateful Dead) and Parrot Heads (Jimmy Buffett enthusiasts).

Lightfoot says he thinks his followers understand what he is singing. One female Lighthead says their hero troubadour finds a way to sing his heart in a way that sings for their hearts. The film’s soundtrack includes Plans of My Own, in which Lightfoot declares, “‘Cause I would travel anywhere, to be right where you are.”

Same to you, say the Lightheads.
Old 03-17-2024, 01:33 PM   #13
charlene

2 years ago
Old 03-23-2024, 03:06 PM   #14
charlene

VIEW:
Old 03-23-2024, 07:58 PM   #15
Dave, Melbourne,Australia

Many thanks, Char. I just watched that 2022 documentary from start to finish. It was excellent and the production standards were cinema-quality. I enjoyed the coverage of Gordon's long-awaited return to the UK and the Irish Republic. What a likeable community of people, from Gord and his entourage to the passionate fans like John Corcoran. Ironic that lighthead Andy (Mauck) is now the frontman of The Lightfoot Band. Here in Australia, I've never been able to see the 2019 documentary "Gordon Lightfoot: If You Could Read My Mind". It would be great if that also became available to view via Corfid.

Last edited by Dave, Melbourne,Australia; 03-23-2024 at 08:00 PM.
Dave, Melbourne,Australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 09:10 PM   #16
charlene

VIEW:
Old 03-26-2024, 03:08 PM   #17
JohninCt.

Location: Wallingford, Ct. Not far from what used to be Oakdale Music Theater

WOW!! Thank you Char for putting that on. I probably never would have seen it otherwise. It sure brings back a lot of memories, and it sure makes us all realize how much Gordon was of being a special person all the more. I was so glad I got to know him and the band and guys like Barry Harvey and Warren. I am going on 81 years soon and they all sure made my lifetime a lot better place to live in.
JohninCt. is offline   Reply With Quote