banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 05-14-2009, 10:15 PM   #151
fezo

Default Re: Keep me in mind

I have two new units of Philadelphia type A positive. Better than I've been anyway.

On the reading front today I was reading John Grisham's newest - the Associate. It's OK so far but he's done better.

I like when I find an interesting author who has written a bunch of things that I've never read. Opens a whole bunch of stuff to read. I'll always take author suggestions. I also like to mix in non-fiction. Am reading a book about Volkswagen in America right now.

Weird thing with the hemoglobin is when it drops below 9 or so my vision drops a little bit. It's no great shakes to start with... When I started today reading wasn't working so much and I was nodding off. Later on I was awake and the print was clearer. I put the iPod on and set it to shuffle which is pretty cool.
fezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 12:46 AM   #152
Patti

Philadelphia type? That might be alright.

I kind of like James Patterson, but it's been a while since I've read one. I just finished an old hippie-farmer novel. Today, checking out a little about Plate Tectonics. ... I almost bought a good used Volkswagen once and some old boyfriend talked me out of it. I wish I would have bought it.

Weird about the hemoglobin affecting your vision. iPod on shuffle? Sounds good.
Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 04:19 PM   #153
Patti

Oh, I thought of one, if it's still in print and you haven't read it already...since Claire was from China, you might like reading Across China by Peter Jenkins. It was a book my dad gave me a long time ago. I had read one of Peter Jenkins' other books before that called A Walk Across America. That was good, but I liked reading the one about China even better.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:24 PM   #154
fezo

Oh, that sounds like it could be fun. I'll have to go look.

Meanwhile I am dealing with some pretty nasty headaches. Last time I had something like this I ended up in the hospital for a week. I'd like to avoid that, thanks. Back then they discovered my blood clots too easily and I had a series of ministrokes as a result. I walked around for a couple of weeks with that before I had a seizure....

I'm sure this isn't that but the fact taht I had to go off coumadin for 5 days so they could take the bone marrow sample certainly got my attention.

Think I'll try some serious sleeping....
Old 05-18-2009, 10:03 AM   #155
fezo

I'll be seeing the doctor tomorrow. Today things are better.

There have been so many bugs going around here that it's nuts.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:44 AM   #156
podunklander

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezo View Post
I'll be seeing the doctor tomorrow. Today things are better.

There have been so many bugs going around here that it's nuts.
Glad to know...thanks -I was worried good luck tomorrow

And sounds like a can of Raid might help
Old 05-18-2009, 12:36 PM   #157
Patti

I'm sorry to hear that you hadn't been feeling well, Steve, and I am praying for you.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:19 PM   #158
fezo

Quote:
Originally Posted by podunklander View Post
Glad to know...thanks -I was worried good luck tomorrow

And sounds like a can of Raid might help
Wrong bug..... Raid won't help...

That said I am plugging along. tomorrow is the doc who ordered the new bone marrow test but I'll hit him with this issue as well if it's still going on.

Since early 2002 if i get too tired my head hurts. That's left over from that whole episode. Based on things right now, however, I can probably blame my 16 year old for this round....
Old 05-18-2009, 02:36 PM   #159
fezo

As tempting as it all sounds.....

All the 16 year old did was have a bug that I may have caught. Will be interesting to see what happens with her. Already have one in college.

Meanwhile I am holding my own here and have avoided taking any pain killer which wasn't much of an option yesterday so we call that progress.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:01 PM   #160
Patti

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezo View Post

but I'll hit him with this issue as well if it's still going on.
Even if the issue is not still going on, it may be good to tell the doctor anyway.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:54 PM   #161
fezo

Good plan. Will do.

Have gotten better as the day progressed.

I really need to be playing out instead of working. My natural clock would have me up until 2 AM and sleeping until noon.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:53 PM   #162
Patti

What'd the doctor say?
Old 05-19-2009, 06:23 PM   #163
fezo

I think I figured out the headache before I hit the doctor's. At any rate he's not worried about it. I think the head problem is actually the neck. That started up today and it all made sense. I'm scheduled for the chiropractor Friday. I'll see if I can move that up.

Meanwhile, the bone marrow is stable which is better than being unstable but still not what it should be. The game plan now is a series of infusion chemo as opposed to chemo pills. This one is specifically made to target what I've got. even at that it's a 50-50 shot but if it doesn't work there are other things to try. Nature of the beast.

So starting next week I go into the doctor's at 8 every morning for 7 work days in a row and get this stuff in a vein for 15 minutes a day.. Then I'm off for 21 days and we do it again. if it's going to work I'll need fewer transfusions within 4 - 6 months. Overall I'm more optimistic about this. The stuff is called vidaza. we will see.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:31 PM   #164
fezo

OK, Pam... If you happen to check in I will be in Hartford tomorrow night. On our way to New Hampshire and I put a stop in there to keep the little ones entertained. There's a duck pin alley in Hartford.... I forget how far you are from there...
Old 05-21-2009, 05:43 PM   #165
podunklander

awwwwwwwww!!! I wish I could!!! I'm still recovering from a sprained back and am in the middle or graduation stuff!! Sorry to miss you coming through.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:36 PM   #166
Don Quixote

Dang, Fezo, I'd join you if I could. I'll be at my college in West Hartford--meetings all day. I didn't know Hartford had a duckpin alley still. I used to do my bowling just on the other side of the river, at the Holiday Lanes in Manchester.

Good luck with all you're going through; we'll say another prayer.

Best,
DQ
Don Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:36 PM   #167
fezo

Appreciated, folks. I go through the area every year at this time and sometimes another trip at one point. I have friends in southern New Hampshire and a brother in Portland, ME.

I don't know why Connecticut but they have like a dozen duck pin lanes there. HArdly any states come even near that number.

Dang! I have a cousin in Manchester. He's an emergency room doctor. I can see it now - "Hey, Rocky! Drop your scalpel. There's duck pins to be played."....

Maybe when I get up to New Hampshire I'll at least get some candlepins in. Been a long time.

According to http://www.robinsweb.com/duckpin/duckpin-locations.html there are lanes at The Alley 860-233-5855 572-1/2 Farmington Avenue Hartford, CT.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:05 PM   #168
fezo

Well, i passed through Connecticut twice on the weekend but didn't get in the duck pins. Didn't get to candlepins either. Bummer.

Was actually pretty zonked the whole weekend. today's blood test explained why - hemoglobin at 7.3. It's amazing I'm still standing. Tomorrow I'll be in the hospital getting more blood. Thursday the chemo starts and maybe we start getting around all of this.

They will give me an anti-nausea drug with the chemo. Wouldn't you know it. All those years when I could get my own anti-nausea medication and now i don't know a single dealer.... I'll be fine. Word is this chemo has few side effects and it takes 15 minutes to do. Worst part is a round trip of 50 miles a day for a week and change every month to get to the doctor.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:32 AM   #169
Nightingale

Hi Fezo, I haven't been here for awhile. It sounds like you are on quite a roller coaster ride lately.
I am still remembering you in my prayers. I hope they get your health stabilized soon.
Watch out for those bugs! That's the last thing that you need to deal with on top of everything else you have going on.
Good luck with the chemo treatments.
into the broad ocean..."

G. Lightfoot "Tattoo"
Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:34 AM   #170
Nightingale

Oooo, Pam...a sprained back? That sounds painful! Hope you get well soon.
into the broad ocean..."

G. Lightfoot "Tattoo"
Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:44 PM   #171
fezo

Doh! I just realized i forgot to pick up a gallon of maple syrup while in New Hampshire! Maybe August....

Second day of chemo. So far so good. Yesterday at teh end they just bandaged up the arm with the catheter still in there rather than start a new line this morning. That worked. Two days in and no side effects. It will take a while to see if any desired effects but it's a load more hopeful than the last treatment.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:00 PM   #172
charlene

sounds promising..take it easy...
i just opened my bottle of nova scotia maple syrup the other day..mm mmm good!
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:07 PM   #173
Patti

Last year I just found out that my uncle still has some good maple syrup in his basement that my dad made, and he has been away for 17 years now! My sister says that my uncle said I'm supposed to ask him for some, (she got some), but I forgot last time I was there. I helped my dad make syrup one year, ('75). Nice memory, walking around in snowshoes, collecting the sap and pouring it in a big rectangle pan.

How often do you have to get chemo? How many days in a row?

Oh, I forgot to tell you, once a few years ago, I was reading The Pelican Brief and then the movie came on while I was reading it, then I didn't finish it. lol I know I don't read half as much as you do. I have The Testament here, should I read it?
Old 05-29-2009, 04:47 PM   #174
fezo

Oh, I'd read the Testament. I liked it.

I get chemo, which is only a 20 minute or so operation, 7 actual work days (they skip weekends and Wednesdays) and then get three weeks off. In theory we should see results in 4 - 6 months. I still hold that one thing or another will work. I intend to be around a long time yet.

At least we can get maple syrup here. I used to pick up a big jug in Ontario every year but I haven't been there in a couple. Maybe next year. I love that you remember making it. That's beyond me...

Hey! In theory I should be in Nova Scotia next year! There's a shot... We'll hit 25 years next year. We honeymooned in Nova Scotia.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:40 PM   #175
Patti

JOIN the registry for FREE June 8 - 22,...

http://www.marrow.org/HELP/Events/Ma...009/index.html